Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Keyboard doesn't keep up with how fast I type!

I text. A lot.

It's very irritating when the keyboard on the Eris can't keep up with how fast I type. I'll be finished with my message, and the last few words take 1-3 seconds to show up, which is fine I suppose. However, when I make some errors, the auto-correct feature doesn't work because apparently my typing speed is too quick for it.

Everything works fine when I type slowly, but that's annoying too.

I barely have any apps besides the stock ones. In running services I only have the calendar, Google Voice, Touch Input, and BatteryTime running. I don't use any app killer, I have animations and haptic feedback turned off. I don't know what else I can do to speed this phone up.

This problem, the lag in switching from portrait to landscape, and the lag with calls is really making me want to sell my Eris and purchase the Incredible, or I may wait until the "Moto Droid X" releases in July....or is that just a rumor?

Advertisements
HSenior is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Demache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 3,006
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 32 GB - Wifi, HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 93
Thanked 342 Times in 287 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSenior View Post
I text. A lot.

It's very irritating when the keyboard on the Eris can't keep up with how fast I type. I'll be finished with my message, and the last few words take 1-3 seconds to show up, which is fine I suppose. However, when I make some errors, the auto-correct feature doesn't work because apparently my typing speed is too quick for it.

Everything works fine when I type slowly, but that's annoying too.

I barely have any apps besides the stock ones. In running services I only have the calendar, Google Voice, Touch Input, and BatteryTime running. I don't use any app killer, I have animations and haptic feedback turned off. I don't know what else I can do to speed this phone up.

This problem, the lag in switching from portrait to landscape, and the lag with calls is really making me want to sell my Eris and purchase the Incredible, or I may wait until the "Moto Droid X" releases in July....or is that just a rumor?
You might be better off getting a new phone if it bothers you that much. For me, I have grown to live with it. I'm getting much more accurate with my typing even when it falls behind. I think I go about 30 WPM. Although I pause a lot when I type.

And the new Droid is most likely not a rumor. The Moto Droid is starting to become outdated so Verizon is most likely going to replace it and EOL it. And it supposed has a improved keyboard, so since you like texting, that might suit you better.
Demache is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 269
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

As much as I love the Eris, the one thing I do miss more than anything is the physical keyboard. I love the phone, it's size, form everything about it. I just miss the keyboard sometimes. It's the only thing I would change about the phone.

Back on topic, I do have lag, but not that much. How fast do you type? I probably average about 40-50 words per minute. I am slower on this phone than I was on my old phone (ENV3) but I expected that. My lag isn't bad enough to have words finish typing after I typed them. That happened on my ENV3 but not on this phone. The only lag I see that affects things is the auto correct, sometimes it doesn't capitalize "I" or put an apostrophe in words or something.

And I don't have lag switching to landscape. When I switch it to landscape, it takes a second at the most to switch. So what do you define as lag when switching to landscape?

I would have to agree with Demache though, if you're really having that bad of a problem, wait until July or August if you can and get the new Droid. Or there's the LG Ally. I think if I remember correctly, even the Incredible had lag when typing fast, so I think your BEST bet would be to get a phone with a physical keyboard.
cmajpwc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I got my first cell phone 2 years ago, and it was a cheap samsung flip. So I'm really not the one to complain over minor lag issues.

However, when I tilt the phone horizontally and it takes 3-4 seconds for the orientation to switch, it gets pretty annoying.

I don't think I'm incredibly fast. People actually say I'm a slow texter when they see me type, which is why I'm so surprised that the phone can't keep up.

I love the auto correction feature, it works great when I type slowly and make mistakes. But when I type a little quicker, it doesn't process fast enough and none of my errors are corrected.
HSenior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
alprazolam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,722
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus-AOKP w/ LeanKernel Kindle Fire Transformer Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 298
Thanked 273 Times in 200 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSenior View Post
I got my first cell phone 2 years ago, and it was a cheap samsung flip. So I'm really not the one to complain over minor lag issues.

However, when I tilt the phone horizontally and it takes 3-4 seconds for the orientation to switch, it gets pretty annoying.

I don't think I'm incredibly fast. People actually say I'm a slow texter when they see me type, which is why I'm so surprised that the phone can't keep up.

I love the auto correction feature, it works great when I type slowly and make mistakes. But when I type a little quicker, it doesn't process fast enough and none of my errors are corrected.
Sounds like you have some app on your phone that is slowing it down by not closing properly. Also, if you are not on a leaked version of 2.1, you may want to root your phone and overclock it. That got rid of phone lag for me. One last thing...the Swype keyboard allows you to type pretty fast. May want to give it a try, but it does take getting used to.
alprazolam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
namu1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 153
 
Device(s): Rooted Eris- Alyosius V12, MM Kevlar Mash v3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alprazolam View Post
Sounds like you have some app on your phone that is slowing it down by not closing properly. Also, if you are not on a leaked version of 2.1, you may want to root your phone and overclock it. That got rid of phone lag for me. One last thing...the Swype keyboard allows you to type pretty fast. May want to give it a try, but it does take getting used to.
+1. Root is great, and I personally use shapewriter... to each his own
namu1107 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,490
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab 7" 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,265 Times in 5,119 Posts
Default

My daughter is another fast texter.. and it's all with her thumbs! She does what appears to be about 35 wpm, just about what I do on my normal computer keyboard or a typewriter using all my fingers.

But that's on a Tour and she has itty bitty hands, perfect for texting on the small Blackberry keyboards.

I handed her my Eris one day and after sending a few texts she just said, "I could never use that on a regular basis."

I use the left index finger and I go about two letters per second, as timed by my kid (while stifling laughter), and it's good enough for me.

I'm old. Perhaps the Eris is for old people. Hey-hey..
__________________



Frisco is offline  
Last edited by Frisco; June 14th, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 35
 
Device(s): Droid Eris (rooted on 2.2)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would also recommend Swype. It has a small learning curve, but once you get used to it you can text fast, very fast. Plus when you show it to people who have never seen it before it blows their mind.
meatwad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 357
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

yeah. a swiping keyboard might be the answer. shapewriter or swype. although nobody ever answers how they're getting swipe
__________________
I'm taking Viagra and drinking prune juice - I don't know if i'm coming or going
v941726 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,490
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab 7" 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,265 Times in 5,119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v941726 View Post
... nobody ever answers how they're getting swipe
Well, if they told you, they'd have to KILL you.

No.. I googled "eris swype download":

http://www.google.com/search?q=eris+swype+download&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a
Frisco is offline  
Last edited by Frisco; June 14th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

HTC Droid Eris
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Droid Eris launched for Verizon Wireless on November 6th in part as the carrier's first Android Phone. However it was overshadowed by the other member of the inaugural Verizon Droid duo - the Motorola Droid. The Droid Eris might look fa... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.