Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,545
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 529
Thanked 824 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Thetomlin, thanks for taking the time to do all of that. Very helpful!

Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #52 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
WaLkeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Eris!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to WaLkeR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
this is the thing, everyone has a different definition of "must have" so eventually every app in the market will be posted here...
Wow caddyman your post really helped this thread a lot, way to contribute, anyways the point is to give people a few ideas on apps they may want/like.. but way to be productive
WaLkeR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caddyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,219
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 644 Times in 226 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Caddyman Send a message via MSN to Caddyman Send a message via Yahoo to Caddyman
Default

my post stands, this thread should be called list the apps you use. must have apps is extremely subjective...

good to see i have a new fan though...
__________________
DO NOT PM ME FOR SUPPORT....POST IT ON THE FORUM
Caddyman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM   #54 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
WaLkeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Eris!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to WaLkeR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
my post stands, this thread should be called list the apps you use. must have apps is extremely subjective...

good to see i have a new fan though...
Hardly a fan, more like the more I post here the more useless posts I see from you.. But keep telling people what they should call their threads and posting redundant answers to questions.. You are so helpful and obviously an essential part of this forum...

Okay fanbois lets hear the trolling.
WaLkeR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caddyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,219
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 644 Times in 226 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Caddyman Send a message via MSN to Caddyman Send a message via Yahoo to Caddyman
Default

i am flattered.....thank you walker.... friend request coming your way


O, just to make sure i am contributing...

apps i must have

twidroid
- cause i am SO self important
kids paint - i am teaching my kids to be self important too
quick profiles - great app for switching different ring/vib profiles
google sky map - major wow factor for impressing people dumber then me
spare parts - good for UI tweaks and diagnosing trouble apps
advanced task manager - regardless of what all those other people say, i know that i need it, cause i am smarter then them
robo defense - fun game
Caddyman is offline  
Last edited by Caddyman; December 22nd, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
WaLkeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 60
 
Device(s): Eris!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to WaLkeR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
i am flattered.....thank you walker.... friend request coming your way


O, just to make sure i am contributing...

apps i must have

twidroid - cause i am SO self important
kids paint - i am teaching my kids to be self important too
quick profiles - great app for switching different ring/vib profiles
google sky map - major wow factor for impressing people dumber then me
spare parts - good for UI tweaks and diagnosing trouble apps
advanced task manager - regardless of what all those other people say, i know that i need it, cause i am smarter then them
robo defense - fun game
There you go, way to effectively merge into appropriate forum use..
WaLkeR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
quick profiles - great app for switching different ring/vib profiles
Have you tried timeriffic? It allows you to set different times for the ringer and notifications to turn on and off (or at different levels). I started using it yesterday and so far it has worked well.

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-alfray-timeriffic-jqq.aspx
__________________
Twitter: @MajaJamesPhoto
thetomlin2 is offline  
Last edited by thetomlin2; December 22nd, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caddyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,219
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 644 Times in 226 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Caddyman Send a message via MSN to Caddyman Send a message via Yahoo to Caddyman
Default

i heard of it tom, but my life is so crazy with kids schedules, work meetings, net meetings, that i just need a switch, i have no set schedule. i will try it to see whats up though
Caddyman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:38 PM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
i heard of it tom, but my life is so crazy with kids schedules, work meetings, net meetings, that i just need a switch, i have no set schedule. i will try it to see whats up though
My day schedule is the same day-in day-out, so it works well. It really nice that it turns the notifications off every night cause I forgot so often. Nothing like getting woken up at 2:30 am for some junk email
thetomlin2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caddyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,219
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 644 Times in 226 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Caddyman Send a message via MSN to Caddyman Send a message via Yahoo to Caddyman
Default

i tried timeriffic, it kept force closing and erroring out (may be conflicting with q profiles? idk)

so i uninstalled, looked like a decent app though. q profiles is quick, no frills, drab ui, but it works for me, and it works much like the bb profiles i came from

i just leave my phone in the kitchen when i go to bed. no worries there, i have a regular alarm clock for work
Caddyman is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 132
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

hey i've been trying to get aFile but I cant seem to find it in the market so I went to the developers website on my phone and when i click on aFile for android all I get is a blank page and it wont download the program. thanks.
google123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by google123 View Post
hey i've been trying to get aFile but I cant seem to find it in the market so I went to the developers website on my phone and when i click on aFile for android all I get is a blank page and it wont download the program. thanks.
Try this:

If you dont know how to use the QR code: Install Barcode Scanner from the Market. View this page on a couputer, then use the barcode scanner to scan the image above. You will see an URL on your phone, click the "open browser" button and you will be directed to the download page in the market.

Dont forget to also install an app that will re-scan your SD card so any files moved over to the phone with afile can be seen. I recomend SDrescan SDrescan v1.0.1 Application for Android | Tools
thetomlin2 is offline  
Last edited by thetomlin2; December 23rd, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM   #63 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Growing Gwinnett, Georgia
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to luxomni Send a message via Yahoo to luxomni
Default

Maybe of more value would be a don't waste your time on this app list. Or does one already exist somewhere?
luxomni is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #64 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Droid Eris > LG Ally >Droid X > LG Revolution > Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Business Card Reader For HTC Droid Eris

Hello,

I really needed to have a business card reader, because I thought that was the coolest thing on my omnia. I searched this site and found question regarding a business card reader, but it was posted on the Motorola Droid thread (oops, thought it was for apps). Anyway, those smart alecks told me I needed google goggles. So, aint it a witch that google goggles doesn't work with android 1.5. Kinda my fault for not paying attention to the thread . Therefore, I'm posting the information for all you Eris owners who would like a cool business card reader.

I found this neat app on Mobihand by Intsig Information Co.,Ltd for $2.99. It's not in the market. Works just like my Omnia on my HTC Droid Eris. Now everything is right with the world.

PS there are two versions, the one that works with other languages is $14.99 both links are below.

CamCard - BusinessCardReader (English Only) - Personal Productivity Android Apps

CamCard - BusinessCardReader - Personal Productivity Android Apps

Holla,
Saporia is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saporia For This Useful Post:
flailer (April 22nd, 2010)
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Termin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxomni View Post
Maybe of more value would be a don't waste your time on this app list. Or does one already exist somewhere?
I've found that the reviews of the apps in the Android Market are very useful for weeding-out the bad apps.
Termin8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM   #66 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Termin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
i tried timeriffic, it kept force closing and erroring out (may be conflicting with q profiles? idk)

so i uninstalled, looked like a decent app though. q profiles is quick, no frills, drab ui, but it works for me, and it works much like the bb profiles i came from

i just leave my phone in the kitchen when i go to bed. no worries there, i have a regular alarm clock for work
Funny, I keep mine in the kitchen at night too! Have the TV in my bedroom set to wake me up. The only time I use my cellphone for a wake-up alarm is when I'm away from home.
Termin8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM   #67 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Termin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkeR View Post
Hardly a fan, more like the more I post here the more useless posts I see from you.. But keep telling people what they should call their threads and posting redundant answers to questions.. You are so helpful and obviously an essential part of this forum...

Okay fanbois lets hear the trolling.
Your sarcastic whit isn't very attractive.
Termin8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #68 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi.
Hey guys thanks a lot for sharing all this list off must have applications.
Its very useful.
rony1434 is offline  
Last edited by rony1434; December 28th, 2009 at 04:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 317
 
Device(s): Eris, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I saw no mention of SnapTell. Photo a movie, book, cd, or game and it gives links to Google, Amazon, um... several others. GameSpot links for the games, if memory serves. It also has a barcome scanner.

Anybody use Bump? Looks nice, but haven't tried it.

Matt
colornshape is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #70 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How do you load applications into the phone that don't come in via the normal, google channel. Like the business card reader for example.
thanks,
-Oz
oz90630 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
superchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mira Loma, CA
Posts: 486
 
Device(s): Rezound, Moto DroidX and X2 HTC Incredible (rooted GB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Download it right from the website through the phones web browser.
superchaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ericDylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 618
 
Device(s): Droid Eris DInc 1 DInc 2 TF101 TF201
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 129
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
my post stands, this thread should be called list the apps you use. must have apps is extremely subjective...

good to see i have a new fan though...

and a list of apps one uses would also be subjective (as different people USE different apps) it really doesnt matter what adjective one uses to describe the apps. a thread about a list of apps is a thread about a list of apps no matter what words you care to add in.
ericDylan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericDylan View Post
and a list of apps one uses would also be subjective.
No it wouldnt ... the apps I use are the apps I use ... no subjectivity. What Candyman said is "MUST USE" or "MUST HAVE" apps are subjective because an app that I consider must have may not be considered must have for everyone else.
thetomlin2 is offline  
Last edited by thetomlin2; December 30th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #74 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ericDylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 618
 
Device(s): Droid Eris DInc 1 DInc 2 TF101 TF201
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 129
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Default

and the same apps that you use daily are the same apps that you would think are "must have" ... so either way it doesnt matter which you say you will get the same list if apps.


(and fyi he is Caddyman ... not "Candyman")
ericDylan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericDylan View Post
and the same apps that you use daily are the same apps that you would think are "must have" ... so either way it doesnt matter which you say you will get the same list if apps.
Not true ... I dont think all the apps I use are MUST have. For instance, I have the magic 8 ball ... which is completely pointless and not needed. I also have a few games, they are not needed either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericDylan View Post
(and fyi he is Caddyman ... not "Candyman")
Thanks for the tip
thetomlin2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caddyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,219
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 644 Times in 226 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Caddyman Send a message via MSN to Caddyman Send a message via Yahoo to Caddyman
Default

ohemgee, i think we need a group hug.
Caddyman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not many here. Dont want to catch anything...lol...

BofA
handcent
OI file manager
Fandango

waiting for an app that will remind/notify of missed calls and email via trackball with with time out settings up to indefinate and glow frequency
dandroideris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caddyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,219
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 70
Thanked 644 Times in 226 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Caddyman Send a message via MSN to Caddyman Send a message via Yahoo to Caddyman
Default

upon someones suggestion i switched from quick profiles to EAR....me likes

pros of EAR over QP

it's purtier
it gives you an icon on the notif bar of what is active (major plus)
more features
Caddyman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
i tried timeriffic, it kept force closing and erroring out (may be conflicting with q profiles? idk)

so i uninstalled, looked like a decent app though. q profiles is quick, no frills, drab ui, but it works for me, and it works much like the bb profiles i came from

i just leave my phone in the kitchen when i go to bed. no worries there, i have a regular alarm clock for work
timeriffic stopped working for me this week for some reason ... I went back to Local
thetomlin2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DDustiNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 63 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I just started using Apps Organizer last night, and I absolutely love it. You set labels on each of your apps, then you can place shortcuts to that group on your home screens, such as Games, etc, instead of actually having to make a folder. Plus, it stays updated. I hate using Folders because if you delete an app, the shortcut stays in the folder... Plus they don't stay organized in alphabetical order, like these do...

Anyway, I love it, just thought I'd share
DDustiNN is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #81 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Robo defense: must have!
scottdownsouth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #82 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jennyloca715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ty for the list.
jennyloca715 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 337
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
I just started using Apps Organizer last night, and I absolutely love it. You set labels on each of your apps, then you can place shortcuts to that group on your home screens, such as Games, etc, instead of actually having to make a folder. Plus, it stays updated. I hate using Folders because if you delete an app, the shortcut stays in the folder... Plus they don't stay organized in alphabetical order, like these do...

Anyway, I love it, just thought I'd share
sounds pretty cool thanks.
snorge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #84 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
pittsleyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 47
 
Device(s): HTC Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Zedge is pretty good.
__________________
http://www.phoneinferno.com
pittsleyb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 245
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Motorola Droid X2, Sony-Ericsson Xperia Play, Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Those who have tried App Organizer should try abcOrganizer. It lets you create links to apps, bookmarks or contacts using a very flexible labeling system (you can have labels include other labels to make a subcategory/hierarchy system). I'm not using the apps or bookmarks yet, but it is great for sorting things into Apps, Games and Archive categories (that last one is for built-in apps I don't use). Most importantly, it has a label which tells you which apps have no labels at all. This is critical for me and abcOrganizer is the only app I have found with this feature. It is useful for showing you the apps you have recently downloaded but haven't categorized yet. Before, I would download a bunch of apps, try a few and forget to uninstall them, or forget I even downloaded them - they got lost in the big list. Now, whatever I downloaded shows up in this "uncategorized" area until I decide to label them or uninstall them. The iPhone has a similar concept - you can create multiple screens to organize your apps and games but when you download a new one it appears on your home screen until you move it to whichever page you want it to live on.

Another app I can't live without is BeyondPod. It is an RSS & podcast reader that has great support for feeds with images (like comics). In addition, it can be used to listen to audiobooks - you can create a "virtual feed" by pointing it to any folder on your device and it will let you listen to those files in order (with bookmarking).

My other two favorites are:
OpenSearch - works just like the search bar in IE or Firefox - it lets you add multiple sites like eBay, Metacritic, IMDB, etc. You add new searches just like in Firefox - by going to the mycroft website. It works as a widget so a single icon on your home screen pops up a search box for any site you choose without opening the browser first and navigating to that site.
and
Password Safe - it keeps your passwords or other secure information, but allows you to completely customize the data structure. You can add or rename fields, or create new types of data templates. I have custom templates for my UNIX passwords at work, my banking websites, software keys, etc.

As for games:
Flight Director (better than Flying Aces)
Yz+ (Yahtzee)
Zen Table Tennis (best ping pong game)
Space Physics (think Incredible Machine)
dewalist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #86 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

I gave OpenSearch a try ... decent app, but I would only use it if it had a widget so I uninstalled it.
thetomlin2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #87 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 245
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Motorola Droid X2, Sony-Ericsson Xperia Play, Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

thetomlin2 - do you mean a search window widget like the default Google one? That would be cool, but just using the shortcut does a pop-up window so it isn't like loading a full app to do a search...
dewalist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #88 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalist View Post
thetomlin2 - do you mean a search window widget like the default Google one? That would be cool, but just using the shortcut does a pop-up window so it isn't like loading a full app to do a search...

Yep, like the Google one ... I played around with it, but would much rather have a widget that an app
thetomlin2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DDustiNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 580
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 63 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalist View Post
Those who have tried App Organizer should try abcOrganizer. It lets you create links to apps, bookmarks or contacts using a very flexible labeling system (you can have labels include other labels to make a subcategory/hierarchy system). I'm not using the apps or bookmarks yet, but it is great for sorting things into Apps, Games and Archive categories (that last one is for built-in apps I don't use). Most importantly, it has a label which tells you which apps have no labels at all. This is critical for me and abcOrganizer is the only app I have found with this feature. It is useful for showing you the apps you have recently downloaded but haven't categorized yet. Before, I would download a bunch of apps, try a few and forget to uninstall them, or forget I even downloaded them - they got lost in the big list. Now, whatever I downloaded shows up in this "uncategorized" area until I decide to label them or uninstall them. The iPhone has a similar concept - you can create multiple screens to organize your apps and games but when you download a new one it appears on your home screen until you move it to whichever page you want it to live on.

Another app I can't live without is BeyondPod. It is an RSS & podcast reader that has great support for feeds with images (like comics). In addition, it can be used to listen to audiobooks - you can create a "virtual feed" by pointing it to any folder on your device and it will let you listen to those files in order (with bookmarking).

My other two favorites are:
OpenSearch - works just like the search bar in IE or Firefox - it lets you add multiple sites like eBay, Metacritic, IMDB, etc. You add new searches just like in Firefox - by going to the mycroft website. It works as a widget so a single icon on your home screen pops up a search box for any site you choose without opening the browser first and navigating to that site.
and
Password Safe - it keeps your passwords or other secure information, but allows you to completely customize the data structure. You can add or rename fields, or create new types of data templates. I have custom templates for my UNIX passwords at work, my banking websites, software keys, etc.

As for games:
Flight Director (better than Flying Aces)
Yz+ (Yahtzee)
Zen Table Tennis (best ping pong game)
Space Physics (think Incredible Machine)
Nice info, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalist View Post
thetomlin2 - do you mean a search window widget like the default Google one? That would be cool, but just using the shortcut does a pop-up window so it isn't like loading a full app to do a search...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetomlin2 View Post
Yep, like the Google one ... I played around with it, but would much rather have a widget that an app
As dewalist mentioned, there really isn't a need for a Google search app/widget. Clicking on the search button (from any home screen) pops up a search box with the same functionality as the Google Search Widget that is pre-loaded when you get the phone. I removed the widget to save space, since I found it unnecessary. Hope this helps.
DDustiNN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 245
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Motorola Droid X2, Sony-Ericsson Xperia Play, Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I think what thetomlin2 was looking for was a widget that looks like the pre-installed Google one but works like OpenSearch and lets you add different search providers. I agree it might be convenient if you have the space for it, but the app info listing on the Market indicates that he cannot provide this due to limitations of Android. I would go even further - I would like OpenSearch to take control of the hardware search button (only when on Home) so I can use the home space for something else... Ahh well...
dewalist is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #91 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 93
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hi All, new here. I really like Apps Organizer, but I'll have to give abcOrganizer a shot.

Speaking of the google search widget, when you search it takes you to the stock browser, is there any way to change that so it takes you to another browser (I have Dolphin as my default)? Right now when I search that way I end up with both browsers open.

One app I like a lot is QuickDial, which may have already been mentioned here.
EricAtUNC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #92 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetomlin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,292
 
Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 245 Times in 166 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
As dewalist mentioned, there really isn't a need for a Google search app/widget. Clicking on the search button (from any home screen) pops up a search box with the same functionality as the Google Search Widget that is pre-loaded when you get the phone. I removed the widget to save space, since I found it unnecessary. Hope this helps.
I understand how it works, I just perfer the widget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalist View Post
I think what thetomlin2 was looking for was a widget that looks like the pre-installed Google one but works like OpenSearch and lets you add different search providers.
Yep
thetomlin2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #93 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
CJBullitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 88
 
Device(s): Droid Inc 2.2 Rooted unrEVOked3 / Droid Eris(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAtUNC View Post
Hi All, new here. I really like Apps Organizer, but I'll have to give abcOrganizer a shot.

Speaking of the google search widget, when you search it takes you to the stock browser, is there any way to change that so it takes you to another browser (I have Dolphin as my default)? Right now when I search that way I end up with both browsers open.

One app I like a lot is QuickDial, which may have already been mentioned here.
just got very nice
__________________
Twitter | Buzz Me
CJBullitt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #94 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to derffred
Default

TBH... I think the only "MUST-HAVE" app is the Task Killer to prolong the Battery Consumption. Every other app depends on the users interest.

But.. my apps listed in the My Downloads Folder are..

Unit Converter (Tools)
Live Chat (Social)
Hi AIM Beta (Social)
Sudoku Free (Games)
Pandora Radio (Entertainment)
Flashlight (Tools)
The Weather Channel (which I'll probably uninstall).
Facebook for Android.

Off Topic Question... was downloading Facebook for Android pointless? I immediately downloaded it from the Market when I got the Eris, as I'm not sure if the Eris comes with it stock. Because when I want to Share a video or picture, it lists "Facebook" twice in the list..
derffred is offline  
Last edited by derffred; January 11th, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
gtpdjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kettering Ohio
Posts: 389
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Rooted waiting to o'clock this bad boy, Acer A200 Rooted and o'clocked to 1.5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

a couple that I like are Droidlive, greatdad, ustream viewer, ustream live, gmote, net droid, slideme gps traker, gps speedo,
gtpdjw is offline  
Last edited by gtpdjw; January 13th, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #96 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
W4LLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 675
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Bump works cross platform .
__________________
Caution: Trace results of sarcasm may be contained within posts by this user.

[Rooted DroidInc - Virtuoso 3.0.1 ]
W4LLY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #97 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetingster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 500
 
Device(s): Moto X, Droid Bionic (rooted), Nexus 7 (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 42
Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

I have been searching for Google Goggles on the Market and can't find it. Does anyone know hoe I get this app?

Thanks
thetingster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #98 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thetingster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 500
 
Device(s): Moto X, Droid Bionic (rooted), Nexus 7 (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 42
Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

That's a good question. My Facebook is listed twice in the "Share" option as well. Anyone know why this is?
thetingster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #99 (permalink)
Member
 
gtpdjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kettering Ohio
Posts: 389
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Rooted waiting to o'clock this bad boy, Acer A200 Rooted and o'clocked to 1.5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Google goggles is only available for droid 1.6 and higher
gtpdjw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
gtpdjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kettering Ohio
Posts: 389
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Rooted waiting to o'clock this bad boy, Acer A200 Rooted and o'clocked to 1.5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetingster View Post
That's a good question. My Facebook is listed twice in the "Share" option as well. Anyone know why this is?
Google goggles is only available for droid 1.6 and higher and do you have more than one facebook app on your phone?
gtpdjw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Droid Eris
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Droid Eris launched for Verizon Wireless on November 6th in part as the carrier's first Android Phone. However it was overshadowed by the other member of the inaugural Verizon Droid duo - the Motorola Droid. The Droid Eris might look fa... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.