Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Dolphin Browser and Google Search

I set Dolphin as my default browser.

If I use the Google search widget, it opens up the stock browser, then if I click a link, it opens the link in Dolphin. wtf?

How can I make the search default to Dolphin?

eta: what is the pay version of Dolphin and is it worth it?

Advertisements
Apollos is offline  
Last edited by Apollos; January 16th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 102
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What is the benefit of using the dolphin browser over the stock one?
MisterMcGoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I like it because it has a gesturing feature, more clear tabbed browsing, and you can clear the cache and kill the app by long pressing the back key.
Apollos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 118
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Using dolphin also allows you to still view the notification bar while the stock browser doesn't. Dolphin also uses pinch to zoom if you're into that. I use dolphin just because of being able to still see my notification bar.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that with the pay version you just lose the ads and stuff? can't really see what else it could add that's missing.
Ruh17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
davros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 486
 
Device(s): Motorola DROID
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

the ads are easy to get rid of.... set your own homepage, ads be gone
davros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

and it drains your battery in under an hour!! sweet feature there!
gentlefury is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Prague, MN
Posts: 99
 
Device(s): Droid Eris,Moto Droid,Samsung Fascinate,HTC Thunderbolt,Samsung Galaxy Nexus,Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
and it drains your battery in under an hour!! sweet feature there!

How so if you would like to explain? Never heard this before so...
Coogi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jjr1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 47
 
Device(s): HTC One M8 Harman Kardon [Sprint]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Dolphin also lets me chose how to view webpages, ie: desktop V. mobile
jjr1968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
T2noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Californina
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): Droid Eris, OG Droid.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 98 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I have been using dolphin browser since the first day i got my eris and I usually use it like 4 -5 hours a day for my job and it has never been anywhere close to killing my battery.
T2noob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bswartz95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,101
 
Device(s): Eris - Nonsensikal v15.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I just started using Dolphin and love it. I wish you could make folders for bookmarks. I like being able to see the notification bar and being able to clear cache each time you close the app. Two thumbs up for that feature!
Bswartz95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

my question is whether or not there will ever be a google chrome app for the droid eris...i've seen google chrome themes but not an actual browser app. i feel like that would be cool
bigwavesufer4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogi View Post
How so if you would like to explain? Never heard this before so...
Well the day I deleted dolphin, I decided to give the stock browser a shot and was able to use my phone all day and still had power left when I got home. I tried dolphin at some point in the day and could actually watch the battery level go down as I was browsing! That was enough to convince me it was the reason I was getting such crappy battery times.
gentlefury is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
kennyidaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Take a guess
Posts: 416
 
Device(s): S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollos View Post
I set Dolphin as my default browser.

If I use the Google search widget, it opens up the stock browser, then if I click a link, it opens the link in Dolphin. wtf?

How can I make the search default to Dolphin?

eta: what is the pay version of Dolphin and is it worth it?
As far as I know that's how it is and unless changes are made the search widget and buttons it will always be that way. The paid version removes ads the developer has included into the free version.

I used to realy love Dolphin but over time I think the application went down hill. I went back to the stock browser and couldn't even contemplate going back to Dolphin.
kennyidaho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hrbib21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 874
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note3 Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
Well the day I deleted dolphin, I decided to give the stock browser a shot and was able to use my phone all day and still had power left when I got home. I tried dolphin at some point in the day and could actually watch the battery level go down as I was browsing! That was enough to convince me it was the reason I was getting such crappy battery times.
In other words, you have no proof other than your unscientific anecdotal evidence.

I definitely do not have a battery issue using Dolphin and I use it quite a bit throughout the average day.
hrbib21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bswartz95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,101
 
Device(s): Eris - Nonsensikal v15.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
In other words, you have no proof other than your unscientific anecdotal evidence.

I definitely do not have a battery issue using Dolphin and I use it quite a bit throughout the average day.
When you finish using it, do you let it run, close it, or clear cache while closing it?
Bswartz95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hrbib21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 874
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note3 Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I generally clear cache when closing. Sometimes I just clear out of it when in a hurry but then shut it down using Advanced Task Manager.
hrbib21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,845
 
Device(s): My meat-pistol
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 61
Thanked 302 Times in 163 Posts
Default

I don't think you can do that. There were a few things that irked me about the Dolphin browser and that was one of them (using different programs instead of just using Dolphin itself to open or view something). I didn't like not having an option to bring the bookmarks over from the standard browser over to Dolphin either.

I just wanna throw this out there, but Google Reader is the GOAT thing you can have if you read the news online. Set a bookmark on your home screen, subscribe to the feeds to the sites you like, and you've lost most of the problems you'll have with your browser. It's faster, neat and clean, and it's all in one place. Plus, you don't have to check to see if there's new stuff, it'll tell you.

Google's taken over my (internet) life, and I couldn't be happier.
smacky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Solitary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 329
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Solitary
Default

I learned about long press back button option in Dolphin in this thread..I've been using Dolphin for about a month(ish) now? Never had it cause my battery get drained..
__________________
Glory, Glory Man United!!
"If the universe is not governed by an absolute goodness, then all of our efforts in the long run are hopeless"C.S.Lewis
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" C.S.Lewis
Solitary is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 252
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
In other words, you have no proof other than your unscientific anecdotal evidence.

I definitely do not have a battery issue using Dolphin and I use it quite a bit throughout the average day.
hmmm, use dolphin all day have to plug in phone at 3pm, use stock browser plug in phone the following morning.

Utilizing scientific method I have determined that the only catalyst in this equation would be the use of dolphin, therefore I concluded that it drained my battery and my solution was to uninstall it and enjoy longer battery life.

It was a very scientific study, rife with possibilities to improve all of mankind! The grants were extensive.

Did you program Dolphin? Do you make money off of it? No? Get a life!
gentlefury is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 102
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I see. It seems like Dolphin has some good positives. I really don't do a lot of Internet surfing though since I'm almost always near a computer as it is, and I really hate having redundant applications on devices like this. I'd probably use Dolphin if I could remove the default browser.

It's a shame we can't get rid of the default applications. Google Talk would be gone, so would twitter, youtube, peep, teeter, stocks (since it apparently costs money, how stupid), etc.
MisterMcGoo is offline  
Last edited by MisterMcGoo; January 17th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
whewstoosae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 114
 
Device(s): HTC Eris, HTC Incredible (r00ted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Dolphin just launched a new beta browser, it still has some quirks but overall the interface and usability has been improved quite a bit. I used to be a huge fan of dolphin, then I saw how simple and great the default browser is and I like it a little more. I'm still kind of on the fence though.
whewstoosae is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bswartz95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,101
 
Device(s): Eris - Nonsensikal v15.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

The only downside I see with the stock browser is that you have to clear the cache by going into the applications and waiting for those to load. Dolphin makes this much easier. My phone has been running with less lag because of this.
Bswartz95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wolfedude88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,754
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 357
Thanked 555 Times in 357 Posts
Default

I am still on the fence to which one I like better, and I haven't really noticed a difference in my batter performance.
Wolfedude88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 102
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswartz95 View Post
The only downside I see with the stock browser is that you have to clear the cache by going into the applications and waiting for those to load. Dolphin makes this much easier. My phone has been running with less lag because of this.
Actually, you can also tap menu, while in the stock browser, click more then settings and then clear cache history cookies etc. Its fairly easy and speeds things up to9
MisterMcGoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): G1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

I think this is the most useful tidbit I have stumbled upon in this forum to date! Thanks. I had completely forgotten how critical this is for speed of operation.
JosephMeyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bswartz95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,101
 
Device(s): Eris - Nonsensikal v15.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

What's the verdict regarding the Dolphin Browser and power consumption. Is it greater than the stock browser?
Bswartz95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 118
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I'm a pretty heavy user during the day and i don't notice any difference in powers usage between the stock browser and Dolphin

However.....

Just got the latest update to Dolphin today... and they got rid of the only reason I use it over the stock browser. You no longer have access to the notification bar!!!! WHY!!!!????? Why would you do this dolphin? Now i have zero reasons to use this browser over the stock browser. Boooo
I hope people using Dolphin enjoy that extra 2 millimeters of screen space

Why even create an app for an Android phone if you are going to get rid of the notification bar? Wasn't that one of the main perks of the Android system? Ugghh

^^^
The above is hogwash. I am removing my size 12 foot from my mouth as we speak.
Ruh17 is offline  
Last edited by Ruh17; January 20th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bswartz95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,101
 
Device(s): Eris - Nonsensikal v15.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruh17 View Post
I'm a pretty heavy user during the day and i don't notice any difference in powers usage between the stock browser and Dolphin

However.....

Just got the latest update to Dolphin today... and they got rid of the only reason I use it over the stock browser. You no longer have access to the notification bar!!!! WHY!!!!????? Why would you do this dolphin? Now i have zero reasons to use this browser over the stock browser. Boooo
I hope people using Dolphin enjoy that extra 2 millimeters of screen space

Why even create an app for an Android phone if you are going to get rid of the notification bar? Wasn't that one of the main perks of the Android system? Ugghh
Wait, I downloaded it today and have access to the notification bar. You have to wait for the page to load completely, then it appears.
Bswartz95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 118
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Not for me, did you get the new latest update today? Pages are fully loaded and no notification bar.
Only reason i noticed is because i was reading an article online, while driving, and eating a cheeseburger, and i received a text message. But, had no way to view it anymore without exiting the browser. ..
Also now if you push menu there is an entirely different menu..
....

EUREKA!!!! In the new menu there is a tab to click to have your notification bar visible... Duh!
Ruh17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 118
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Yes, you did get the download today... as you previously stated and i glossed over.


The new menu actually improves Dolphin a lot, gives you a few more options.

I retrack and redact and take back my previous diatribe about the awful people who created Dolphin. You are back in the circle of trust boys.
Ruh17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollos View Post
I set Dolphin as my default browser.

If I use the Google search widget, it opens up the stock browser, then if I click a link, it opens the link in Dolphin. wtf?

How can I make the search default to Dolphin?

eta: what is the pay version of Dolphin and is it worth it?
Anybody have a clue to the OP problem? I'm experiencing this as well and I have the latest update too.
Lloyd Christmas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 102
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
Anybody have a clue to the OP problem? I'm experiencing this as well and I have the latest update too.

Dude, awesome moniker!
MisterMcGoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Eris from a Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Bravo311
Default

Not to take sides but I installed the Dolphin Browser on Monday and did notice my battery drained faster than before with the same amount of daily usage. I didn't clear my cache or anything. I unistalled it on Thursday and my battery life went back to normal. Nothing scientific, just my own personal observations.
Bravo311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bswartz95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,101
 
Device(s): Eris - Nonsensikal v15.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo311 View Post
Not to take sides but I installed the Dolphin Browser on Monday and did notice my battery drained faster than before with the same amount of daily usage. I didn't clear my cache or anything. I unistalled it on Thursday and my battery life went back to normal. Nothing scientific, just my own personal observations.
I found the same to be true on my phone.

Any other browsers? I've been reading about xScope. I can't find it in the Market though. Is that not for the 1.5?
Bswartz95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
CTS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

How do you change default browsers? I've got both loaded and now I'm getting Dolphin whenever I click a link; I'd like to experiment w/it for a while before committing.

Also, I see all the various "L" "W" gestures you can do with Dolphin, but where's the pinch feature? I'm running Android 1.5; is there a chance that's the problem?
CTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West
Posts: 295
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, upgraded from Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I was a faithful Dolphin browser user--even after their recent update. But I've gone back to using the stock browser. I found out I liked it better overall. It seems to load webpages much faster than Dolphin, and it's integrated with phone so tightly that even if Dolphin is set as the default, the Google search button will initially try the stock browser then load Dolphin like Apollos's original post question. I like how bookmarks can be organized alphabetically, newest or, even better, by most used. I also find the interface more intuitive and takes less steps to open new sites and move about the web. I'll miss the "read later" feature and pinch and zoom in Dolphin, but overall, I'm back to using the stock browser all the time. Also, I remember Steve Jobs dissing how mobile sites look so bad compared to full websites when he introduced the iphone a few years back--touting pinch and zoom as the answer to view full sites on tiny screens. But I think that mobile optimized sites are cleaner, faster and yield information much better on smartphones than full sites. Mobi iNet is a great app that categorizes and identifies many great mobile optimized sites like a giant bookmark folder. I'd take any of those mobile sites over the full sites on my Eris any day without fear of losing any content. Enough of my rant!
BoulderAndroidFan is offline  
Last edited by BoulderAndroidFan; February 7th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 230
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
I don't think you can do that. There were a few things that irked me about the Dolphin browser and that was one of them (using different programs instead of just using Dolphin itself to open or view something). I didn't like not having an option to bring the bookmarks over from the standard browser over to Dolphin either.

I just wanna throw this out there, but Google Reader is the GOAT thing you can have if you read the news online. Set a bookmark on your home screen, subscribe to the feeds to the sites you like, and you've lost most of the problems you'll have with your browser. It's faster, neat and clean, and it's all in one place. Plus, you don't have to check to see if there's new stuff, it'll tell you.

Google's taken over my (internet) life, and I couldn't be happier.
I love the app NewRob for that, though no need to use browser at all...
deman89 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West
Posts: 295
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, upgraded from Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
How do you change default browsers? I've got both loaded and now I'm getting Dolphin whenever I click a link; I'd like to experiment w/it for a while before committing.

Also, I see all the various "L" "W" gestures you can do with Dolphin, but where's the pinch feature? I'm running Android 1.5; is there a chance that's the problem?
Dolphin/settings/uncheck "Always check default browser" if you don't want the choice between Dolphin and stock when launching a browser, and uncheck "set as default browser" if you want to go back to using just the stock browser all the time.
BoulderAndroidFan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
CTS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

How do you organize bookmarks on the stock browser? I ported mine over from Firefox, but I don't see a Firefox-like "organize bookmarks option."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderErisfan View Post
I was a faithful Dolphin browser user--even after their recent update. But I've gone back to using the stock browser. I found out I liked it better overall. It seems to load webpages much faster than Dolphin, and it's integrated with phone so tightly that even if Dolphin is set as the default, the Google search button will initially try the stock browser then load Dolphin like Apollos's original post question. I like how bookmarks can be organized alphabetically, newest or, even better, by most used. I also find the interface more intuitive and takes less steps to open new sites and move about the web. I'll miss the "read later" feature and pinch and zoom in Dolphin, but overall, I'm back to using the stock browser all the time. Also, I remember Steve Jobs dissing how mobile sites look so bad compared to full websites when he introduced the iphone a few years back--touting pinch and zoom as the answer to view full sites on tiny screens. But I think that mobile optimized sites are cleaner, faster and yield information much better on smartphones than full sites. Mobi iNet is a great app that categorizes and identifies many great mobile optimized sites like a giant bookmark folder. I'd take any of those mobile sites over the full sites on my Eris any day without fear of losing any content. Enough of my rant!
CTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West
Posts: 295
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, upgraded from Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
How do you organize bookmarks on the stock browser? I ported mine over from Firefox, but I don't see a Firefox-like "organize bookmarks option."
Launch stock Browser/press Menu (on phone)/Bookmarks (lower left option)/press Menu on phone again to see bookmark options such as sort by, thumbnails or list view, edit, etc. Unfortunately, you can't organize into folders, but at least you have some useful sort options. In Dolphin, I was using their category labels--but it was a lot of work and still wasn't as useful as accessing most used or alphabetical listing of bookmarks.

HJow did you import your Firefox bookmarks?
BoulderAndroidFan is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West
Posts: 295
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, upgraded from Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

There is another way--though it's pretty labor intensive, to organize bookmarks into folders on your homescreen. You can add shortcuts of bookmarks by longpressing on a clear spot on your homescreen. Keep at least one clear spot to keep adding bookmarks then dragging them over to a relevant folder that you've created. That's about the only other way I know to organize folders of bookmarks. It takes time and homescreen real estate, though.
BoulderAndroidFan is offline  
Last edited by BoulderAndroidFan; February 7th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
CTS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderErisfan View Post
Launch stock Browser/press Menu (on phone)/Bookmarks (lower left option)/press Menu on phone again to see bookmark options such as sort by, thumbnails or list view, edit, etc. Unfortunately, you can't organize into folders, but at least you have some useful sort options. In Dolphin, I was using their category labels--but it was a lot of work and still wasn't as useful as accessing most used or alphabetical listing of bookmarks.

HJow did you import your Firefox bookmarks?
1. I'm not seeing that sequence. When I press menu, Bookmarks shows up as the center-top option. (Refresh is lower-left.) I click Bookmarks, then menu again, and the only option I see is "bookmark last page."

2. I exported my Firefox bookmarks (by opening "Organize Bookmarks," clicking on the third of three buttons--the icon is indescribable, by me anyway--and clicking "export html." I exported to me desktop.) Then I moved that file to my phone, after attaching the phone to my iMac with a USB. Then I used an app that uploads the file to the browser--either "My Bookmarks" or "Bookmarks Importer," can't remember which one.

Come to think of it, if you just get those free apps, they provide instructions.
CTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West
Posts: 295
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, upgraded from Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
1. I'm not seeing that sequence. When I press menu, Bookmarks shows up as the center-top option. (Refresh is lower-left.) I click Bookmarks, then menu again, and the only option I see is "bookmark last page."

2. I exported my Firefox bookmarks (by opening "Organize Bookmarks," clicking on the third of three buttons--the icon is indescribable, by me anyway--and clicking "export html." I exported to me desktop.) Then I moved that file to my phone, after attaching the phone to my iMac with a USB. Then I used an app that uploads the file to the browser--either "My Bookmarks" or "Bookmarks Importer," can't remember which one.

Come to think of it, if you just get those free apps, they provide instructions.
That's odd. When I hit Menu with the stock browser up (on an HTC Eris), I get 6 square panel buttons on the bottom of the viewer in this order (clockwise from bottom left) Bookmarks, back, forward, add bookmark, more, and windows (which is center at the bottom.) Anyone else get this too?
BoulderAndroidFan is offline  
Last edited by BoulderAndroidFan; February 7th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
CTS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

For reference, I've got a Moment running 1.5. I see, from bottom left: refresh, go, bookmarks, new window, more, and forward.
CTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Droid Eris
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Droid Eris launched for Verizon Wireless on November 6th in part as the carrier's first Android Phone. However it was overshadowed by the other member of the inaugural Verizon Droid duo - the Motorola Droid. The Droid Eris might look fa... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.