Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default sorry, very noob question.

so i knwo all about the droid, droid incredbile, droid shadow and droid 2. i was planning on waiting for the shadow, but i can get an eris now for a good rpice. i'm wondering if i shoudl bite. what are the downsides to it? and i was trying to look and didn't see anything about it having buitl in gps. should i go and get it?

Advertisements
jbaruch76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,490
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab 7" 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,265 Times in 5,119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaruch76 View Post
so i knwo all about the droid, droid incredbile, droid shadow and droid 2. i was planning on waiting for the shadow, but i can get an eris now for a good rpice. i'm wondering if i shoudl bite. what are the downsides to it? and i was trying to look and didn't see anything about it having buitl in gps. should i go and get it?
Welcome to the mad house, amigo.

Now run down to the store and swoop that baby off the shelf, jbaruch. It's a great Android device.
__________________



Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
surgeon0214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 699
 
Device(s): Eris Kaos Froyo v30
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 76 Times in 53 Posts
Default

It has a GPS, but I would choose a newer droid as this will soon be obsolete the way technology is moving these days.
surgeon0214 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,576
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 535
Thanked 831 Times in 551 Posts
Default

It does have a GPS, and with the Google Maps application that comes with ver 2.1 of the Android OS, it works quite nicely - turn by turn directions and everything.
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
majorpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 232
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaruch76 View Post
so i knwo all about the droid, droid incredbile, droid shadow and droid 2. i was planning on waiting for the shadow, but i can get an eris now for a good rpice. i'm wondering if i shoudl bite. what are the downsides to it? and i was trying to look and didn't see anything about it having buitl in gps. should i go and get it?
It has GPS, and it depends on if you want a phone close to free, or are ready to pay a small fortune. The eris should be close to free by now...

I'd recommend a newer device that will actually get the next round of updates, but only if you are prepared to pay the price for it.
majorpay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,576
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 535
Thanked 831 Times in 551 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon0214 View Post
It has a GPS, but I would choose a newer droid as this will soon be obsolete the way technology is moving these days.
Which is true of every phone (or computer, or TV etc etc) currently on the shelf at every store...
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon0214 View Post
It has a GPS, but I would choose a newer droid as this will soon be obsolete the way technology is moving these days.
well that's sort of what i'm curious about. what exactly is it missing. i know there won't be any official support for froyo but will you smart guys be able to port it? and i wouldn't be able to get a newer phone till the end of the summer anyway. i can pick this up for $100 off contract. i really want an android phone i think i will be picking i tup.
jbaruch76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
majorpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 232
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaruch76 View Post
well that's sort of what i'm curious about. what exactly is it missing. i know there won't be any official support for froyo but will you smart guys be able to port it? and i wouldn't be able to get a newer phone till the end of the summer anyway. i can pick this up for $100 off contract. i really want an android phone i think i will be picking i tup.
With the number of units that are faulty, I'd be careful about buying an older model regardless of the price. If you don't get a warranty with it, and the digits behind the battery cover say anything like 091102 or 091030 (date stamps), I'd stay far far away from it.
majorpay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
surgeon0214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 699
 
Device(s): Eris Kaos Froyo v30
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 76 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Well if you will be getting another one at the end of the summer then I definately reccommend this one!! It is a great phone is what I meant to say, its just its not new and flashy.
surgeon0214 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpay View Post
With the number of units that are faulty, I'd be careful about buying an older model regardless of the price. If you don't get a warranty with it, and the digits behind the battery cover say anything like 091102 or 091030 (date stamps), I'd stay far far away from it.
how seriously shoudl i be taking this. the phone is said to be working now...
jbaruch76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
majorpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 232
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaruch76 View Post
how seriously shoudl i be taking this. the phone is said to be working now...
This seriously: Phone is Useless when the Phone Goes Silent Multiple Times a Week
majorpay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
majorpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 232
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Most of us with this bug have replaced our phones (my replacement is coming tomorrow).
majorpay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 673
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Default

if you can get it for $100 off contract, then do it. hopefully it's got the OTA 2.1 and not a leak.
__________________
HTC Eris
rick311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ericDylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 618
 
Device(s): Droid Eris DInc 1 DInc 2 TF101 TF201
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 129
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Default

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the droid eris!

but if i were you i would either get the droid incredible now or wait for one of the newer phones to come out. the incredible is basically the eris on steroids (i own only an eris not an incredible so i am not biased btw )

or you could get the eris now if you would be able to upgrade again in about a year when the veriaon LTE phones start coming out (if all stays on track that is)
__________________
“The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.”
ericDylan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
truelove79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 728
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 308 Times in 127 Posts
Default

6 to 8 Months ago I would have had no problem recommending the Eris (the original Motodroid wasn't much competition), but with the choices you have now and the choices soon to be arriving, I just can't do that anymore. There are much better phones out there for not much more money. The Eris is great, but it's just too slow. I am VERY forgiving of my phones and their quirks, and I love my Eris, but it seriously ticks me off sometimes and I will not hesitate when it's time to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpay View Post
This has NEVER happened to me.
__________________
If this post sounds "jerky", I'm sorry. I come off that way most of the time.
truelove79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ericDylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 618
 
Device(s): Droid Eris DInc 1 DInc 2 TF101 TF201
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 129
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelove79 View Post
6 to 8 Months ago I would have had no problem recommending the Eris (the original Motodroid wasn't much competition), but with the choices you have now and the choices soon to be arriving, I just can't do that anymore. There are much better phones out there for not much more money. The Eris is great, but it's just too slow. I am VERY forgiving of my phones and their quirks, and I love my Eris, but it seriously ticks me off sometimes and I will not hesitate when it's time to upgrade.



This has NEVER happened to me.
+1
ericDylan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 673
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelove79 View Post
This has NEVER happened to me.
+2
rick311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaruch76 View Post
so i knwo all about the droid, droid incredbile, droid shadow and droid 2. i was planning on waiting for the shadow, but i can get an eris now for a good rpice. i'm wondering if i shoudl bite. what are the downsides to it? and i was trying to look and didn't see anything about it having buitl in gps. should i go and get it?
I'm in the same boat right now. I know there are "better" Android phones out there, but I'm not sure if I'll miss any of the things Eris can't do. Or if I'll be upset later when all the other phones are getting upgrades and the Eris isn't. I'm probably going to go with the Eris, though, for a couple reasons. 1) I'm freaking broke, and with the buy one get one free deal, my husband can get a new phone, too. 2) I've held both the Eris and the Incredible and I know if my 9 month old gets his hands on the Inc, it's doomed. The Eris seems a bit more hardy. 3) If I get the Eris for cheap now, I'll feel less bad about replacing it in a year or so when something really awesome comes out.

By the way, when I asked a Verizon CSR if the Eris would still be around in July when I get my discount, she said they're still getting shipments of them and it should be available. So I'm not sure what to make of the EOL talk...
gish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thanks for the advice everyone. very helpful on here and not one person pointed me to an faq, pretty rare on a forum. i have a new dilemma now though, i can either still get the used eris for 100 or now i also have the option of a droid for 80 but it has a crack in the corner. the guy has been using it with the crack with no problems but i don't have a picture. assuming it is just a small crack as he says which is the one to go with?

edit: also been reading about how the 2.1 leak keeps you from rooting or getting the 2.1 ota. how can i tell if the eris i will be getting has this?
jbaruch76 is offline  
Last edited by jbaruch76; June 3rd, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
majorpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 232
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelove79 View Post
...

This has NEVER happened to me.
For many, it hasn't, but I doubt it's worth the risk of spending $100 without knowing? My big thing is that above all else, this is supposed to be a phone. When the phone portion of the phone no longer operates, this is a pretty serious defect. Getting multiple calls where I can't hear them, and they can't here me, then trying to call them back and having the same scenario is not only exasperating to them (and me), but completely unacceptable by any standards for a phone.

My phone had the issue, and it has never been dropped, it was never abused, but I do find it suspicious that these issues pop up after 2.1, but I have been assured by Verizon and people on this forum that it was a bad batch of phones... I don't claim to know the answers, but it would really suck to buy a phone that only worked as a phone part of the time with no way to replace it.
majorpay is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
majorpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 232
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaruch76 View Post
thanks for the advice everyone. very helpful on here and not one person pointed me to an faq, pretty rare on a forum. i have a new dilemma now though, i can either still get the used eris for 100 or now i also have the option of a droid for 80 but it has a crack in the corner. the guy has been using it with the crack with no problems but i don't have a picture. assuming it is just a small crack as he says which is the one to go with?

edit: also been reading about how the 2.1 leak keeps you from rooting or getting the 2.1 ota. how can i tell if the eris i will be getting has this?
1. There are some good points to the Moto Droid... I don't know, it's a matter of preference and what you are going to do with it. If you are into the gaming thing, then they have some nifty toys and better performance in that arena: Home (game-gripper) . If you are looking for a sleek phone that looks a little more stylish and small, then the Eris is the way to go. I'd probably pay $80 for the Moto Droid myself just to have around for playing with (maybe not get service for it), but I'd probably purchase both units if I had the extra money around just for the Android operating system... like test units... but I guess I'm just a dork like that (software engineer).

2. Turn it off, then press the volume down button and power button (and hold). Look at the screen. If the boot loader that comes up says 1.49, you won't be able to root, if it says 1.47, there is a 99% chance you will be able to.
majorpay is offline  
Last edited by majorpay; June 3rd, 2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: forgot the power button
Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
TheDanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
I'm in the same boat right now. I know there are "better" Android phones out there, but I'm not sure if I'll miss any of the things Eris can't do. Or if I'll be upset later when all the other phones are getting upgrades and the Eris isn't. I'm probably going to go with the Eris, though, for a couple reasons. 1) I'm freaking broke, and with the buy one get one free deal, my husband can get a new phone, too. 2) I've held both the Eris and the Incredible and I know if my 9 month old gets his hands on the Inc, it's doomed. The Eris seems a bit more hardy. 3) If I get the Eris for cheap now, I'll feel less bad about replacing it in a year or so when something really awesome comes out.

By the way, when I asked a Verizon CSR if the Eris would still be around in July when I get my discount, she said they're still getting shipments of them and it should be available. So I'm not sure what to make of the EOL talk...
definitely not EOL yet.
TheDanimal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
majorpay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 232
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanimal View Post
definitely not EOL yet.
I spoke to a tech at Verizon about this, and his answer was: "The only people who are saying the Eris is EOL are the Eris users. Verizon has not even hinted to us about ending this product as of yet."
majorpay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Droid Eris
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Droid Eris launched for Verizon Wireless on November 6th in part as the carrier's first Android Phone. However it was overshadowed by the other member of the inaugural Verizon Droid duo - the Motorola Droid. The Droid Eris might look fa... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Eris
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.