Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #201 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

after having the phone for about 6 months, i realized that a lot of the battery power is used to keep 3g up and running (if not using wifi). i'm the kind of user that lives off my phone so i know what uses the battery power.

phone is great overall but the battery isn't after 6 months, the stock battery does not charge anymore. its the only concern i have, wish they'd make the next better...

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #202 (permalink)

Device(s): Past: hTC Wildfire Int'l Version,hTC Droid Incredible 2 Vzw, hTC OneX,Current:Nexus 4,Broken NO!!!
Carrier: none

Money This thread in a nutshell...

I'm bored at work and don't feel like working, so I guess that's your gain...

Here we go!

Roll!
Set cdma as preferred network:
Let's start from the beginning, straight out of the box.
Your new dinc2 will more than likely come with the Sim card pre-installed & be set on global mode, if you are using the phone on Verizon's network in the U.S., you don't want this. Your phone will be constantly be trying to connect to a gsm network wasting battery power. Set it to cdma as your preferred network.
Menu> Settings> Call>Check the box with cdma as preferred network instead of global.

Disable always on mobile data:
Next change the mobile data always on setting. This will stop the cell radios from using battery power when the screen is locked, saving battery power.
Menu> Settings> wireless & networks> mobile networks> uncheck the box that shows enable always on mobile data.
Changing these two settings alone have rewarded me with a 4 to 6 hour increase in battery life.

Conditioning your battery:
Let you new battery go through 3 to 5 complete charge and discharge cycles. After that break in period charge it when it gets low. (15%) Don't top off, no bump charging. Let it die all the way once or twice a month after that so you can charge it all the way back up, maintaining it's integrity.

Disable 3G when not in use:
Having 3G on (connection to mobile internet) the entire time your phone is on/awake will use a significant amount of battery power verses if you disable it when you are done using it.
Another option is to download Juice Defender and let it handle that for you. JD is not a task killer, it is a micro management connection scheduling app. Once you lock the screen it will disable 3G for you automatically. You can then schedule it to reenable the connection in 15 min 30 min, our 1hr intervals so that you can get your email and updates. I use the plus package & it has many more battery saving options like night scheduling etc., etc. I can't imaging having my dinc2 without Juice Defender!
I am currently having good results with juice defender 3.8.5 beta and jd plus 3.9.0 using boot work around.
Connect to wifi when possible for data use (not to mention saving $ for data allowance charges) to save battery also. For example using your home wifi connection all the time when you are at home will have better battery life than using 3g data connection.
You can also try throttling down sync intervals, like from every hour to every 3 hours and so fourth whatever you can live with. You should set accounts that you don't use/need to a manual sync interval.

Poor signal:
Bad reception will result in bad battery life:
When the phone is getting 0 to 1 bar/s for a long time this will suck down battery life the radio will struggle to find a signal & use a lot of battery power doing so . When my signal is weak, like this, I throw the phone into airplane mode until I move into an area with a better signal. It is a known issue that the dinc2 suffers from bad reception issues and battery drain occurs.
The recent Dec. 11th update (5 bar RSSI build 5.10.605.9) has improved signal strength somewhat; plus an alarm clock that works!

Screen brightness:
I agree with the above posts about screen brightness. The display will almost always use up the most battery power when checking your battery use. Usually at like 60 to 75%. Use a brightness widget on your homescreen to take the brightness down to the lowest level you can tolerate. I use brightness widget by curvefish for this. Many times I find I can see the display indoors with it set to 0%. I never set it higher than auto. An app called screen filter is also good for this, by using it I have gotten my display battery use down to 40-55%.

Last, but not least:
Get rid of that live wallpaper, it may be cool to look at but, it is a CPU Bogart.
Turn off GPS, when not in use.
Try to use wifi instead of 3G when possible, dinc2 has a b/g/n wifi card that is very efficient. You can even set Juice Defender to wifi preferred, it will try to use wifi, if available, before connecting to 3G. Use opera mini to browse when it is convenient to do so, it goes light on the juice. Do not use or uninstall any "auto" task killer. This will be havok on your battery. Android 2.2 and above have it's own internal task killer, using another one as auto will clash with it, stopping and starting processes resulting in more battery use by the Android system.

Individual results may vary...a lot depends on how much you use your phone and what you use it for. If you stay on it browsing the internet or watching videos for hours on end the battery will not last long and juice defender will not be able to help you. You will then need to buy multiple chargers (a car one too) & place them in strategic locations for some tactical recharging action. The battery may take as long as 2-3 Weeks to stabilize. I easily get 22-24+ with normal/light use and have gotten add much as 1 day 12 hours. With very light use 2 days 12 hours, I was sick that weekend.

Don't forget to try screen off and lock to save your phone's power button from breaking!

Know what to do in every situation to optimize your battery life on HTC Droid Incredible 2!!!

...and I approve this message...
Last edited by blackepoxy; January 10th, 2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: grammar Nazi typos & add stuff
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blackepoxy For This Useful Post:
70363c1413 (March 15th, 2012), NightAngel79 (January 22nd, 2012), TheAtheistReverend (January 10th, 2012), usedtobeanyer (May 16th, 2012)
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #203 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Device(s): 1+1,SG4, DNA, N7
Carrier: Depends on the breeze.

Good call summing it up at the 200 mark.

Get your own DropBox HERE! Get Copy too!
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #204 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA

For the Juice Defender users the latest beta is 3.9.4 and available in the Market. The changelog just says "fixes".
The Following User Says Thank You to victek For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (January 15th, 2012)
Old February 4th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #205 (permalink)

Device(s): DINC 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab671 View Post
after having the phone for about 6 months, i realized that a lot of the battery power is used to keep 3g up and running (if not using wifi). i'm the kind of user that lives off my phone so i know what uses the battery power.

phone is great overall but the battery isn't after 6 months, the stock battery does not charge anymore. its the only concern i have, wish they'd make the next better...
I'm on wifi at home and at work but sometimes I have to travel for work or other reasons and I'd have to agree that 3G totally EATS my battery. It's horrible. I really need to remember to keep 3G turned off and only enable it when I really need it. Otherwise roaming around outside of my wifi areas causes major battery drain.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #206 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Android os using 80% of battery!

So when i first bought this phone, the android os was eating my battery. The first few weeks it was at 80%. My phone barely lasted 6 hours of mild use. Now its at around 10% and the display is taking up most of the %. Battery life is incredible. I forget what i did to lower the android os consumption, but i really need to remember. I just bought a galaxy tab 7.7 which is supposed to 12 hours of battery life on 4G. I have it on wifi and rarely use it and i only get a good 5 hours. The android os is using 81% of my battery. Anyone have any suggestions on how i can fix this? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #207 (permalink)

Device(s):

I checked my battery usage and it says almost 60% of my battery usage has been from cell standby. Any tips on how to reduce this? I am using juicedefender + by the way.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #208 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXMMA View Post
I checked my battery usage and it says almost 60% of my battery usage has been from cell standby. Any tips on how to reduce this? I am using juicedefender + by the way.

Make sure you have global mode un checked/cdma only checked.
Then dial *228 option 2.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #209 (permalink)

Device(s):

I unchecked it but I did not call...
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #210 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Also, if you are in a low-reception area your cell radio will eat up battery like mad. Make sure your back cover is on tight to ensure good contact for the antenna. Wifi should be set to never sleep to save you battery juice when in wifi areas too. The savings in battery life there can be immense especially if you have things working in the background.

Make that call too.
sponsored links
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #211 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks, I have wifi set to connect whenever available. I called when I got off of work today. I will check for improvement tomorrow. Work is the only place where I am worried about the battery draining because we have hardly any service at all at work.
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #212 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Quote:
...we have hardly any service at all at work.
That could easily be the culprit. Not much you can do about it other than put it in airplane mode while there.
I get horrible reception at work, but have wifi. I put it in airplane mode then turn on wifi while there. That way the cell radio doesn't pull the battery down.

Best option really is having a charger at work though.
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #213 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtheistReverend View Post
That could easily be the culprit. Not much you can do about it other than put it in airplane mode while there.
I get horrible reception at work, but have wifi. I put it in airplane mode then turn on wifi while there. That way the cell radio doesn't pull the battery down.

Best option really is having a charger at work though.

If I put it in airplane mode while connected to wifi can I still receive anything at all? Never used airplane mode but the way I understand it is it basically kills all service.
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #214 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtheistReverend View Post
Make sure you have global mode un checked/cdma only checked.
Then dial *228 option 2.
For the totally ignorant, can you please expand on where exactly those settings above can be found ?

Also what do you mean by or what does dialing *228 option 2 do ?

Much appreciated !!
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #215 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Quote:
If I put it in airplane mode while connected to wifi can I still receive anything at all? Never used airplane mode but the way I understand it is it basically kills all service.
If you put it in Airplane mode first, then turn on wifi (give it a second first) you will have wifi only connected. You can receive emails and other notifications that may come in over the wifi connection (weather alerts, tweets, facebook, etc) but you will not receive calls or text messages which I can't respond to at work anyway. When I go on break or step into an area at work where reception is better, I sometimes turn off airplane mode for a minute or two just to see if anything came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp42 View Post
For the totally ignorant, can you please expand on where exactly those settings above can be found ?

Also what do you mean by or what does dialing *228 option 2 do ?

Much appreciated !!
These settings can be found in Menu>Settings>Wireless and Networks (from the home screen).
I use Widgetsoid as a home screen widget that displays all those setting so they are readily available.

You see here ath the bottom of the screen Airplane mode, Wifi, GPS, Flashlight, Screen brightness, Screen stay on, and Silent Mode.
These are just some of the options for the widgetsoid app. Pretty sweet.

*228 connects you to VZ to either program the phone/ activate it using option 1, or update roaming capabilities using option 2. I use these after every new ROM install, ad would periodically if running stock.

HTC Droid Incredible 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC DROID Incredible 2 launched on April 28th and does well enough to follow the original up. It's not going to be a must-have device for those who own and enjoy the original, but folks new to the DROID party who want an HTC phone shouldn&#... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2