Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #51 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Incredible 2
Carrier: Not Provided

I receive 6250 messages, but I can't open them. They appear in my text message inbox and say Multimedia Message, but when I click on it, it won't open. I went online to MyVerizon & I am enrolled in Sync & Connect (I didn't enroll, I was apparently auto-enrolled). If I remove this subscription will I still receive e-mails?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s):

Gentlefolk;

Add me to the list of 6250 recipients...resolved this with HandCent and blacklisting 6250.

But..for the slow among us, just what does "Synch and Connect" do? If that is turned off, does that disable all email on the Incred2?

I have my mail set up to "Manual" -- don't want to be pinged every time I get spam on my AOL account -- but the 6250s keep rollin' on.

Thx!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s):

I started getting these texts when I downloaded Handcent SMS. They always come in the middle of the night & are really annoying, but I really like that app & want to keep it.
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #54 (permalink)

Device(s):

hi guys!

sorry if my question has already been asked but im sort of running late w/c doesnt permit me to have enough time as i wish i could have to read the entire posts in this thread...

1. i would just like to ask how do you remove or forget the yahoo mail and yahoo
messenger on your samsung galaxy s2??

2. and how do you stop the email notification?

thank you so very much for the help in advance!
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #55 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC INC2 Motorola Droid (Previous)

jensfairladyz
Question 6250 - VZWNMN recipient also.....

*Please read, I know it is lengthy, sorry.....*

Hi...it seems this thread has not been real active since May other than a couple posts, but maybe I can shed light from what happened to me tonight for others, as well as someone indicating if I should just dump the new, consolidated email to avoid 6250?

I have used Handcent for a couple years now, previously on Moto Droid. Never received anything like this. Once I upgraded to the INC2, I set up Gmail accounts, as they were previously through Gmail app, not the mail app.

I have a work email that forced (?) me to use the Mail app on the INC2. Tonight in the interest of time I added my main Gmail account on Mail as well. (Instead of using strictly though Gmail app.) IMMEDIATELY, I received about 12 texts from 6250.

Also, IMMEDIATELY, I rec'd an email through said app from Verizon stating "Good News! Your email account (Gmail account)is now set up on your phone and online with My Verizon." Needless to say, even though my mail account has always been running through the Gmail app, I never had this problem. I just wanted to receive all my emails into one widget, argh.....Come to find out this is another Verizon thing where they have consolidated all my emails into one unified mailbox..(am thinking already I don't like this...)

***FYI***
I do not like all the Verizon apps that have been added. I forget what they are referred to on this forum, but I do all I can to not let them run. (always have battery probs if they run leading to yet another Factory reset.....)

I agree that they could be number of emails per day, per account, maybe?

I replied trying several key words: stop, help, unsubscribe, etc to no avail.

Went to Apps, Running Svcs. Under Handcent, I stopped one that had started 47 seconds earlier (obvious one to me)...didn't have a name, just a letter, "v", I believe. (the regular one always running shows on mine as the letter "e" following the Handcent icon.) Did NOT blacklist 6250.

I have yet to receive another 6250 text. (knock on wood....)

I guess I can see what happens in the morning but maybe that's all it needed?

Sorry this post is so long...just wanted to make sure all the info was there...I have several other questions if anyone should want to explore them with me ie...in the early INC2 days had to do a battery bump due to horrible battery instability. Has worked like a charm since. But the damn SvcStart running app I cannot perm get rid of.....any ideas ? (well, yes, I know rooting it would, I hear fix it, just nervous as I know just enough to get myself into trouble...

Again, thank you for reading and the time to do so should you choose to respond !!! 'giggle'
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s):

OK, so I see a lot of possible solutions to the problem in this thread, but what is the best route to take? I am getting these messages for my aol account, and as we all know it's very annoying.

So, should I call verizon and tell them to remove sync and connect, or should I remove my email address from the app, and re add it manually?

I will note when I previously removed the account the messages continued with no mail account configured. Like others have mentioned it doesn't affect the google mail app, only the htc one.

Thanks for the info
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM   #57 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyspawnshop View Post
Sync & Connect is a new feature to centralize the management and accessibility of email set up for new android devices, much like the web interface available for most carriers to set up emails for BlackBerrys. It also allows you to converge your emails in to one box viewable online (myvzw) as well as pull contacts from each web mail for convergence of your address books(not 100% sure about this as i opted out and never tried it). It is separate of any push functionality. The client app operating the features for this plan add on is the new version of the backup assistant app.

If you are having problems with these messages annoying the hell out of you or are not okay with VZW hijacking access to your email without your explicit consent (opposite of blackberry) you can call in to remove. Call in to tech support and if the person sounds like they have a brain cell tell them you want to "opt out of Sync & Connect" and to "remove the Sync & Connect feature from my account". That should stop the messages within 24 hours.

Your other option is to do what JstaDroid said earlier or according to TT1080i you can turn the notification texts off in myverizon.
This guy is correct. I was just on the phone for over an hour with Verizon Tech Support. Luckily the gal I was talking with actually had a brain cell in her head unlike most blonde ass Tech Support people... tell them you want to opt out of Sync & Connect services. He is also correct that Backup Assistance is now Sync & Connect for android devices, but is still Backup Assistance for non-android devices.

If you want to do this without talking to VZW Tech Support, go to your My Verizon home page from a computer and scroll down the the "I Want To..." section and click on the "More Actions" link. It'll popup a block on the site, find the "Manage My Contacts" link under the "Messaging" area. That takes you to the Sync and Connect services. From there you can opt out. Other than that I do not know exactly how you since I had the VZW Tech person do it herself.

Hope ya'll who still have this issue get it resolved.

**As I was writing this and got near the end, I just received 9 more of this damn annoying msg.** I'mma call em back and bitch em out. lol An hour on the phone is ridiculous and the issue isn't resolved.

-Donald
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s):

Been working with VZW tech support for a few days now... We have finally figured it out. This issue is with Back-Up Assistance Plus. It is a feature with Sync Plus. The fix was to log into www.vzw.com/sync and log in. Once logged in you you need to click on the top left side of the menu that says "Inbox". Then look over on the right side of the screen and click on the "Settings" menu. You then need to click on the "Remove" icon on your email account. This will remove it from the Sync Plus portion of Back-Up Assistance. When the screen refreshes make sure you click on "Close". This should absolutely take care of your text messaging issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Timine For This Useful Post:
Spirk (February 3rd, 2012)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM   #59 (permalink)

Device(s): Rose gold Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timine View Post
Been working with VZW tech support for a few days now... We have finally figured it out. This issue is with Back-Up Assistance Plus. It is a feature with Sync Plus. The fix was to log into www.vzw.com/sync and log in. Once logged in you you need to click on the top left side of the menu that says "Inbox". Then look over on the right side of the screen and click on the "Settings" menu. You then need to click on the "Remove" icon on your email account. This will remove it from the Sync Plus portion of Back-Up Assistance. When the screen refreshes make sure you click on "Close". This should absolutely take care of your text messaging issue.
THANK YOU! I've had my RAZR for almost a month and recieved my first VZWNMN: # message yesterday. I've received over 30 of them in the past 12 hours! That number does NOT correspond to the number of emails I've gotten in my yahoo, hotmail, or gmail accounts, since I've gotten maybe 12, including junk mail. All accounts have been setup since the day I activated my phone. If this is a service built to notify you of emails (when the phone does it by itself already) it is definitely not working correctly.

I don't like how Verizon modifies the OS with these little things to have more control but I've had iphones for the past 4 years and they're MUCH worse. Nice to know Verizon at least includes an "off" switch.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #60 (permalink)

Device(s):

Help! This is happening to me now!? I cant figure out how to stop it
sponsored links
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdhondt View Post
I also started receiving them about 4:00 AM this morning. I called Verizon and talked to someone and they told me they would stop them but I have received at least 5 since the call. I also did a restart in case I needed that to pick up the change.

Unfortunately for me this is a corporate phone through a third party so I can't even logon to MyVerizon to try and disable it myself. Very annoying. I have had my phone for about a week.
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #62 (permalink)

Device(s):

Incredible 2 Owners Receiving Text Messages from VZWNMN? Here is How to Stop Them – Droid Life

Here is what I found. I think the culprit might be Sync and Connect
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #63 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Device(s): 1+1,SG4, DNA, N7
Carrier: Depends on the breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdhondt View Post

Read the thread please.

The secret lies within.

Like 2 posts back...

Get your own DropBox HERE! Get Copy too!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAtheistReverend For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (March 9th, 2012)
Old March 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #64 (permalink)

Device(s): RAZR MAXX

Mad

I recently upgraded to a DROID RAZR MAXX and shortly after getting it, it got broken. When I got a replacement & installed "Go SMS" (for text messaging) I began receiving these annoying messages from 6250 "VZWNMN:#".

After plenty of google searching, experimentation, and then talking to customer service, this thread has it nailed! I am so &^$#@##$ at Verizon.

Verizon is a business, and they want your money, but they also want your contacts too! Our world today is one of games with legal TOS (Terms of service) tied to or attached to yet more TOS >... this is wherein lies the rub of discomfort. When they share your information with third parties, those 3rd parties have their own "policies". This the same as opting in to an app on Facebook... you're giving that app open door access to the permissions you told Facebook to adhere to and restrict. It's pure BS, and worse on our PAID Verizon service.

Verizon can benefit if they store your phones data online as well as on your phone. When you have to hard reset with tech support, or you lose a device, or upgrade in 22 months, etc, they can conveniently offer you a simple way to import your contacts to your new or reset device. Its a benefit to both you and Verizon - it saves you both time and money. Verizon currently calls this service "Backup assistant plus", "Backup Assistant +", "sync and connect" etc. This is the core of the issue.

Backup Assistant/sync & connect has a TOS. You must accept this TOS to "fully use the features it offers", and it's FREE! YAY!!! ... Nope, not yay, Why? Because Verizon has implemented technology the way IT wants to, not necessarily the way YOU want to. This includes a scheme where, in the past few years Verizon has "forcibly" implemented Backup Assistant on your devices and done so in a manner making removal or opting out nearly impossible.

My kids Cosmos Touch was the first time I saw this insane idiocy. It would kill their battery begging them to set it up. And, you have to be 13 years old or older to accept it, which they are not, and you have to accept it to disable it!

It turns out this is true for my RAZOR MAXX as well. Even though I specifically chose not to accept the TOS for backup assistant plus (I skipped it) my phone still configured my email accounts up on verizonwireless' webserver without my permission or consent. If you go into the RAZR's accounts setting you can see it setup, and you cannot uncheck it. They did this as a convenience for their "data push" services. Their default email application uses their web servers to check your mail and notify you via their own custom normally "hidden" SMS message to your phone. Their default application UNDERSTANDS the 6250 message. Custom SMS/message applications DO NOT. This is their message to say, hey, "you've got mail" and this is how many messages:#.

I find this to be very uncouth. I'm not fond of cloud computing, facebook, and general small invasions of privacy in every aspect of my life, and I'm certainly more annoyed when it happens without my knowledge by someone I pay money to!

I agree with the poster on page 1, I think we have a lawsuit against Verizon. In fact, when I went onto the Verizon site I found that I had also been OPTED in to yet ANOTHER invasion of privacy, on Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless under "PRIVACY SETTINGS" they opted me into "Business & Marketing Reports" and here is waht it says!!!!:

Code:
Verizon Wireless may use mobile usage information and consumer  Information for certain business and marketing reports.  Mobile usage  information includes the addresses or information in URLs (such as  search terms) of websites you visit when you use our wireless service,  the location of your device ("Location Information"), and your use of  applications and features.  Consumer information includes information  about your use of Verizon products and services (such as data and  calling features,device type, and amount of use) as well as demographic  and interest categories provided to us by other companies (such as  gender, age range, sports fan, frequent diner, or pet owner).  We will  combine this information in a manner that does not personally identify  you.  We will use this information to prepare business and marketing  reports that we may use ourselves or share with others.  We may also  share Location Information with other companies in a way that does not  personally identify you.  We will allow these companies to produce  limited business and marketing reports.  See our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about these reports.             

You have a choice about whether we use your information for these reports.
If I had a choice, why wasn't I clearly notified before I was opted in? Why would I or anyone else ever really want to opt into this? What is the point in marketing to me, if you cant tell them who I am? This is clear BS. It's illegal! and I had to MANUALLY choose to turn it off since it was on "automagically".

So..... diatribe over... this is step by step how to solve it:
  1. Remove your gmail Yahoo hotmail etc. accounts feom your phone (you MUST do this first)
  2. Log onto Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless
  3. Go to "Backup Assitant" (or whatever Verizon is calling it when you read this)
  4. Accept the TOS, [EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO] This is the most unacceptable part- VERIZON!
  5. Delete all Mail accounts and Contacts listed (Presuming you don't want Verizon to store this on their servers)
  6. Once all accounts are gone, go to your DEVICES, then features/services and look for the wonderful FREE SYNC/BACKUP service. ... REMOVE IT.
  7. Call Verizon and tell your tech support rep you want them to log a complaint. We need to let Verizon know that while we may like or benefit from these features, they need to let us decide and provide full disclosure. Additionally they should provide full API's to developers who provide apps for their devices so that they can provide a reliable product to their user base.
  8. Experiment and use an alternative EMAIL application(s) from the market or other sources and avoid the stock Verizon embedded application on your device. You can manually setup the accounts with the stock app, but I sincerely suggest you just ignore its presence. Please note that if you remove or screw with this app, you will most likely screw up the email functionality.

You CAN continue to use the default mail app (on the Droids with 2.3.4 at least), provided you setup the mail accounts MANUALLY!! Otherwise, the problem will reoccur. You can look up the server info online.

Good luck!
Last edited by noybman; March 28th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to noybman For This Useful Post:
Deanie (May 10th, 2012)
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #65 (permalink)

Device(s):

from what i understand it has to do with the universal inbox set up. have a friend with same issue. think im going to try and set up K-9 email for all accounts and see if that does it. In mean time check out below...

Well, the service is notifying people with a Verizon text from VZWNMN (6250) every time this MyVerizon all-in-one email inbox receives a new email. You can attempt to add the number to your blacklist text app and block it, but then you really aren’t solving the problem and instead are just masking it. It’s annoying to say the least, but from what we can gather, most people are more frustrated with the fact that this service has been mysteriously turned on than anything.
So here is what you can do to get rid of it:
1. Login to your Verizon account.
2. Click on “Account” at the top and then “Change Features” from the bottom right.
3. Select the device you would like to remove the service from.
4. Then scroll down until you find “Contact Management” and click “Remove.”
The Following User Says Thank You to toddhoof For This Useful Post:
Sharondippity (April 2nd, 2012)
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhoof View Post
from what i understand it has to do with the universal inbox set up. have a friend with same issue. think im going to try and set up K-9 email for all accounts and see if that does it. In mean time check out below...

Well, the service is notifying people with a Verizon text from VZWNMN (6250) every time this MyVerizon all-in-one email inbox receives a new email. You can attempt to add the number to your blacklist text app and block it, but then you really aren’t solving the problem and instead are just masking it. It’s annoying to say the least, but from what we can gather, most people are more frustrated with the fact that this service has been mysteriously turned on than anything.
So here is what you can do to get rid of it:
1. Login to your Verizon account.
2. Click on “Account” at the top and then “Change Features” from the bottom right.
3. Select the device you would like to remove the service from.
4. Then scroll down until you find “Contact Management” and click “Remove.”
No offense Todd but I tried this method first when I found it on another thread elsewhere and it did not solve it. I spoke with Verizon about it too and the rep I worked with was intrigued because he has the same phone and the same privacy concerns. We did quite a bit of testing and the detailed instructions I gave above is what we did. Other methods were incomplete and didn't actually fix the problem.

Please note you must delete your accounts on the phone first out they get stuck there. Please follow my instructions to fully undo the mess Verizon created
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM   #67 (permalink)
Dismember

Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noybman View Post
No offense Todd but I tried this method first when I found it on another thread elsewhere and it did not solve it. I spoke with Verizon about it too and the rep I worked with was intrigued because he has the same phone and the same privacy concerns. We did quite a bit of testing and the detailed instructions I gave above is what we did. Other methods were incomplete and didn't actually fix the problem.

Please note you must delete your accounts on the phone first out they get stuck there. Please follow my instructions to fully undo the mess Verizon created
There are actually two different things you have to cancel for this to work, and then it works fine.

You also have to disable email sync for Backup Assistant.

I did not have to delete anything off of my phone. I have the Razr Maxx.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharondippity View Post
There are actually two different things you have to cancel for this to work, and then it works fine.

You also have to disable email sync for Backup Assistant.

I did not have to delete anything off of my phone. I have the Razr Maxx.
I agree, in my notes above (Steps 5&6) I did note you have to turn off Backup Assistant and recommended you turn it off for contacts too. When I said turn it off, I meant entirely (this automatically includes sync). You actually don't have to turn off the contacts, but I personally would and did.

How long ago did you do this Sharon, because you'll find the solution is incomplete. If you dont delete the accounts from the phone first, you will never be able to. We actually had to re-enable Backup Assistant/Sync in order for me to remove the accounts.

the problem is that Verizon's modded email app automatically syncs your email accounts to the VZW site (via backup assistant - regardless of whether you accept the terms or not) If the email accounts are recognized as a service provider Verizon accepts. If you manually configure your accounts you're all set. If you choose the "Yahoo" or "Gmail" or "Hotmail" etc options from the stock email app when setting them up, it will still try to sync to Verizon. It may fail, but you'll find editing the account settings will too.

I strongly suggest you backup your email (if you need to) and re-enable Backup-Assistant, then delete them, and re-disable BA. Re-add the accounts manually, and call Verizon and tell em where to stick it!

I <3 my RAZR MAXX, but I hate Verizon's meddling.
Last edited by noybman; April 2nd, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #69 (permalink)
Dismember

Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noybman View Post
I agree, in my notes above (Steps 5&6) I did note you have to turn off Backup Assistant and recommended you turn it off for contacts too. When I said turn it off, I meant entirely (this automatically includes sync). You actually don't have to turn off the contacts, but I personally would and did.

How long ago did you do this Sharon, because you'll find the solution is incomplete. If you dont delete the accounts from the phone first, you will never be able to. We actually had to re-enable Backup Assistant/Sync in order for me to remove the accounts.

the problem is that Verizon's modded email app automatically syncs your email accounts to the VZW site (via backup assistant - regardless of whether you accept the terms or not) If the email accounts are recognized as a service provider Verizon accepts. If you manually configure your accounts you're all set. If you choose the "Yahoo" or "Gmail" or "Hotmail" etc options from the stock email app when setting them up, it will still try to sync to Verizon. It may fail, but you'll find editing the account settings will too.

I strongly suggest you backup your email (if you need to) and re-enable Backup-Assistant, then delete them, and re-disable BA. Re-add the accounts manually, and call Verizon and tell em where to stick it!

I <3 my RAZR MAXX, but I hate Verizon's meddling.
I've never used the stock email app, therefore I did not have to delete anything from my phone.

All my email is backed up on google, yahoo, hotmail servers. There is no need for Verizon or anything else to backup also.
Last edited by Sharondippity; April 3rd, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharondippity For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (April 3rd, 2012), LorriDroid (April 5th, 2012)
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #70 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharondippity View Post
I've never used the stock email app, therefore I did not have to delete anything from my phone.

I just moved from the DINC to the Droid 4 and have been lost in the Sense vs. Motoblur learning curve for more than a week so I don't know whether or not I'd ever used the stock email app or not but your solution worked for me and I'm grateful that it did because when I tried to remove my Gmail account(s), I was told that I couldn't because the one in question was associated with apps on my phone (market and etc. I'm assuming).

I was inches away from doing a factory reset, and thus sentencing myself to a day full of reloading apps and resetting configurations (AGAIN!), when I saw your non-account-deleting-work-around and I'm so glad that I did!

To recap: I went to the VW website, logged into my account, accepted the TOS for the Back-Up nonsense and then removed it from my account. Once that was done I turned my phone off and back on again, sent myself a test email message and just like that, the deed was done. Email works fine, Handcent works fine and no more 6250 texts. Ahh...that's better.

Incidentally; this issue began for me ONLY after installing Handcent. Perhaps the notices were being sent prior to the installation of the program but only found a voice once Handcent had been installed but whatever the case, it's stopped now. THANKFULLY.

Lorri
The Following User Says Thank You to LorriDroid For This Useful Post:
Sharondippity (April 5th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #71 (permalink)

I also had no 6250's until after I installed Go SMS.

If you don't intend to ever remove email accounts from your phone then you don't have to delete them from your phone... Again, VZW only auto links email accounts it knows how to handle, which are the ones where in the phone default email app you selected "Yahoo, hotmail, gmail" etc. IFF you set it up"manually" you won't get the 6250 issue. If you setup any other accounts besides your forced gmail one automatically THEN YOU MUST DELETE THE LOCAL AUTOMATIC ONES BEFORE DISABLING BA ASST. Then readd them manually.

If you read this post and have setup other automatic accounts like I did, and followed someone elses fix, go look at your email settings, options will be greyed out and you will bee unable to delete the account.

Thanks
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #72 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have a question? Are any of you using Skyvi?
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #73 (permalink)

Not I.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #74 (permalink)

Device(s):

for those of you that had this problem and got it fixed, what specifically did you do to stop these messages? i have tried everything and nothing works it seems like
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #75 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Device(s): 1+1,SG4, DNA, N7
Carrier: Depends on the breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeneaton View Post
for those of you that had this problem and got it fixed, what specifically did you do to stop these messages? i have tried everything and nothing works it seems like
Call Verizon. Tell them you want them to take whatever feature they automatically added onto your line, off of it. If they don't understand, tell them to get someone who does. They really should all know about this issue by now.

HTC Droid Incredible 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC DROID Incredible 2 launched on April 28th and does well enough to follow the original up. It's not going to be a must-have device for those who own and enjoy the original, but folks new to the DROID party who want an HTC phone shouldn&#... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2