Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Broken charging port

Has anyone else's become very loose? The plug fits tight, but it looks like the port moves around in the body of the phone. This just started.

sponsored links
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinated View Post
Has anyone else's become very loose? The plug fits tight, but it looks like the port moves around in the body of the phone. This just started.
I just noticed this the other day when I kinda shook my phone around to check something else but there was a rattling and it turned out to be the little black frame around the charging port. Is that what you're talking about? It didn't seem like it would fall out or anything but I was able to flick the part and it moved around a bit.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

It's that and metal port inside that move around.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

I think most are like that, where the black plastic housing moves a bit. On mine that part wiggles very slightly, but the metal part is tight. I've never thought that it would fall out, though.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Past: hTC Wildfire Int'l Version,hTC Droid Incredible 2 Vzw, hTC OneX,Current:Nexus 4
Carrier: AT&T

Cool Mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTupa View Post
I think most are like that, where the black plastic housing moves a bit. On mine that part wiggles very slightly, but the metal part is tight. I've never thought that it would fall out, though.
+ 1
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Incredible 2(retired), Verizon Galaxy S III Blue (lost), Nexus 7, Galaxy S 4 Black.
Carrier: Verizon

valorian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTupa View Post
Same here. Mine has always been wobbly but I've never had a charging problem.
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Mine started having charging problems a week ago where I would plug it in and the charge symbol would show, but after 5 hours of charging it would have discharged by 10% but its under warranty so Verizon sent me a knew one, hope it lasts longer then two months this time.
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

my incredible 2 wouldn't charge correctly. so at first i thought it was the charger so i purchased a new one, and it worked for a while. then i figured it was the battery, so i bought a new one. it also worked for a while. like a week ago i would connect my phone and it wouldn't charge, so i would wiggle the cable a little, and it would charge then. but yesterday it just flat out did not charge. so i figure it must be the charging port. i hope verizon sends me a replacement, i've only had the phone for 3 months!
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Flytouch 3 Superpad

ForestRJ

The receptacle for the charging plug has broken, I need to repair or replace it. I am thinking of doing a Pigtail mod to it, so that I don't have the plug putting undue pressure on the motherboard and female plug unit. Any info on a part number or something? The plug itself uses a Type 'A' male plug. I can charge it by using a rubber-band and just the right placement and tension on the cord (LOL).
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

I would love to know how this goes if you do do it.
sponsored links
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): Htc incredible 2

Mine was loose the day after i bought the phone. It seems like its the bezel around the port and not the port itself.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

If anyone is having this problem with their Droid Incredible 2, but they rooted, violated warranty or simply will not get a free replacement, you can purchase the docking station for the DINC 2 from Verizon or on Amazon. It has a spot on it to charge the battery directly. It's a hastle, but if you buy a second battery, you can rotate them and not have to use the cable. It works for me.

My DINC is rooted and I have a loose jack, so Verizon will not give me a replacement. (I'm already on my second phone from them because the first phone had the same problem.)

Sorry that I can't post links to them. If you search "Droid Incredible 2 Docking Station" on Amazon, you will find many. Just make sure they have the extra battery charging slot. You can also find extra batteries for only a few dollars there as well.

Hope this helps anyone in dire need of their Incredible 2!
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenark View Post
Mine started having charging problems a week ago where I would plug it in and the charge symbol would show, but after 5 hours of charging it would have discharged by 10% but its under warranty so Verizon sent me a knew one, hope it lasts longer then two months this time.
I have the same issue that you had and mine too is still under warranty, but Verizon (a store) told me they wouldn't replace it under warranty as it is considered physical damage and to try and contact HTC. Did you deal with a Verizon store or over the phone?
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsflight View Post
I have the same issue that you had and mine too is still under warranty, but Verizon (a store) told me they wouldn't replace it under warranty as it is considered physical damage and to try and contact HTC. Did you deal with a Verizon store or over the phone?
I had the same problem. The store rep said the same thing. So I call 611 and talked to the rep and got them to replace the phone. I had said the the port was loose and the phone wouldn't charge. He was also whiling to send a new battery also. but I just went tith the new phone first. Had the new phone the next day. Returned the old one and never looked back. I have the wireless charging pad so the only time I plug it in is in the car (not that often).
Good Luck
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Jeepin View Post
I had the same problem. The store rep said the same thing. So I call 611 and talked to the rep and got them to replace the phone. I had said the the port was loose and the phone wouldn't charge. He was also whiling to send a new battery also. but I just went tith the new phone first. Had the new phone the next day. Returned the old one and never looked back. I have the wireless charging pad so the only time I plug it in is in the car (not that often).
Good Luck
Thanks for the reply. Just got off the phone with a verizon tech and she said there is no known issue and she can send me a new phone however, once my phone is sent back and the techs in the warehouse inspect it and determine it is a physical damage issue, I can be charged $299, which is has no way of waving. So it basically sounds like it has to do more with which tech you get a hold of if they are willing to do anything. I guess the next step is to call HTC, but I have no high hopes of them resolving the issue either. I probably should get a wireless charging pad either way.
Last edited by fallsflight; January 9th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsflight View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just got off the phone with a verizon tech and she said there is no known issue and she can send me a new phone however, once my phone is sent back and the techs in the warehouse inspect it and determine it is a physical damage issue, I can be charged $299, which is has no way of waving. So it basically sounds like it has to do more with which tech you get a hold of if they are willing to do anything. I guess the next step is to call HTC, but I have no high hopes of them resolving the issue either. I probably should get a wireless charging pad either way.
The rep told me the same thing. I explained that the phone had some nicks (gouges) on the corners (daughter had phone and dropped...many times) they said if the screen was ok then id have nothing to worry about. I've had the replacement phone since right after Christmas. They received my old one the end of that week...not extra charges. They have to say that. I tried it and it's worked for me.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

I called HTC today and they provided me with another numer to call, which I originally thought was just another dept. It was a totally different company that repairs their phones. (India accent of course) They said I would have to send it in to be evaluated. I said forget it. I am going to go to another local verizon phone and see if they will provide better service. Have been a verizon customer for a long time, never had an issue with a phone, renewed my contracts and upgraded when time was up and now that I really need some customer service they are no where to be found. I have read on numerous forums including the one on the verizon site and many others are having the same issue with the USB port! It seems like different people are getting different service even if they are still under warranty. Some are getting reurbished phones in replacement, others new phones and some non at all. I guess I will have to request to speak to a spervisor if nothing is done during this next visit. Not that they will provide any better service, but that will be the next step. Basically this is a hirrible design by HTC and they know it and should back their product. I can see that my USB port is further in on one side than the other and this is only from plugging it in to charge! Frustrating. Thanks for the replies!
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Device(s): SG4, DNA, N7
Carrier: Depends on the breeze.

If your usb port is loose but working fine you could try what another member here did many months ago with success: Use a toothpick to apply a tiny amount of epoxy in between the port housing and the body of the phone. Be VERY careful not to get any inside the port and wipe off any excess on the outside. It doesn't take much at all. The person who attempted it a while ago sai it worked beautifully.
If I were having this problem and was also having intermittent connection problems with the charger, I would try this with the charging cable plugged in and held with tape or rubber bands in the position of best connection until VERY cured.
Let us know if you try this whether it works for you, and good luck!

Get your own DropBox HERE! Get Copy too!
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

My Incredible 2 died today due to the failure of the charge port. What a waste of $$, unfortunately, I bought mine from ebay so no replacement for me (just bought in July). So I bit the bullet and got an iphone. The incredible 2 was a nice phone, but it only lasted seven months. It seems we all got scammed.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
My Incredible 2 died today due to the failure of the charge port. What a waste of $$, unfortunately, I bought mine from ebay so no replacement for me (just bought in July). So I bit the bullet and got an iphone. The incredible 2 was a nice phone, but it only lasted seven months. It seems we all got scammed.
I'm sorry to hear of your bad luck. It is possible with any phone. You'll see if you join an iPhone forum now that you've sold your soul

But seriously. You obviously just joined this forum today to bitch about this. Something like 3 out of all 4 of you posts were EXACTLY the same as this one word for word in different threads.

Thanks, but we don't need a negative nancy *ahem* troll *ahem* joining and just posting to say "eff this phone- I'm out".
Please just make yourself scarce if that is all you have for this otherwise very enjoyable community.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAtheistReverend For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (March 5th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Q9c, Eris xtrROM 4.6.5, Droid Concepts 11, Incredible 2 EclipticSense

TAR, don't feed the trolls. It's easier to clean up after them if you just report them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bberryhill0 For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (March 5th, 2012)
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Past: hTC Wildfire Int'l Version,hTC Droid Incredible 2 Vzw, hTC OneX,Current:Nexus 4

Would (do you think) super glue work just as good as the blackepoxy?

Just apply a tiny amount between the black housing and the body of the phone using a toothpick?
I don't want mine to go out...
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.adams22 View Post
Would (do you think) super glue work just as good as the blackepoxy?

Just apply a tiny amount between the black housing and the body of the phone using a toothpick?
I don't want mine to go out...
I have thought of doing this as well prophylactically, but I wouldn't trust anything less than JB Weld personally. Super glue especially might just leave a mess. It has a tendency to crack under pressure y'know
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAtheistReverend For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (March 19th, 2012)
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s): Q9c, Eris xtrROM 4.6.5, Droid Concepts 11, Incredible 2 EclipticSense

I just started having charging problems. Changing to the cord that came with my Droid 1 fixed it.

* Hmmm. I sprayed carb cleaner in my original cord's ends and it seems to be working now.
Last edited by bberryhill0; March 5th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberryhill0 View Post
... Hmmm. I sprayed carb cleaner in my original cord's ends and it seems to be working now.
Good thinkin!
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

The original cord quit working again. Verizon is sending me a new one. The cord from my Droid 1 fits tighter.
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible 2

I became a victim of the "loose" charging port issue this week.
I just ordered a battery charger and batteries from eBay to help "treat" this problem. It's going to be a pain to constantly remove my Otterbox just to put in a fresh battery. *sigh*
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by initial_V View Post
I became a victim of the "loose" charging port issue this week.
I just ordered a battery charger and batteries from eBay to help "treat" this problem. It's going to be a pain to constantly remove my Otterbox just to put in a fresh battery. *sigh*
Have you tried using jb weld?
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.adams22 View Post
Have you tried using jb weld?
I'll give it a shot. I'm not going to cancel my order just in case.

UPDATE 1:
JB Weld is set. Unit is charging in the best position. Just waiting to cure.

UPDATE 2:
It's charging again but has to be aligned properly. I also used carb cleaner to clean the USB port.
Last edited by initial_V; March 18th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #30 (permalink)

I just bought some jb weld & a pack of toothpicks at the grocery store.
My port is still charging but, the black housing is loose & rattling bad.
It was not loose when I first got the phone.
I want to try and catch it before it goes out...

Hope all goes well with yours!
sponsored links
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #31 (permalink)

The cables that came with this phone are piss poor so that is also something to look out for.
Old March 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
The cables that came with this phone are piss poor so that is also something to look out for.
What do you recommend?
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

I switched to the cable that came with my Droid 1. When that cured my charging problem I called Verizon and they sent me a new cable under warranty.
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
I switched to the cable that came with my Droid 1. When that cured my charging problem I called Verizon and they sent me a new cable under warranty.

By chance, do you have the model number of that cable?
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #35 (permalink)

I threw the packaging away. Verizon has three different lengths. I chose the 39 inch one.
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I threw the packaging away. Verizon has three different lengths. I chose the 39 inch one.

Cables usually have a label attached to them with a model number and miscellaneous info.
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Not this one. It's just a generic Verizon cable.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:10 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Not this one. It's just a generic Verizon cable.
Gotcha. I'll just use the interwebz to find one. I ordered 3 exact cables that came with the phone before seeing your posts so we'll see what happens.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #39 (permalink)

So based on my observations, if the charging port is loose/broken, it gives you false info when it charges. The only way you can know for sure it's charging is to shut off the phone and try to get the USB cord to align properly and maintain a steady orange/amber light. I learned the hard way by not having a phone for 24 hours and trying to figure out what to do.
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #40 (permalink)

Im glad invested in the wireless charging pad when I got the Droid Charge and now my INC2. Ive seen way to may people having the usb port issues. Good luck.
sponsored links
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #41 (permalink)

Okay. It's official. My charging port is no longer working. My computer also doesn't recognize it via USB. I do, however, can still use my phone by swapping out batteries. -_-
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s):

It is really sad to see how many people had this problem with the DINC2. Its a great phone, but this is obviously a flaw. That said, I have taken mine apart at least 3 times to replace this and can offer some advice.

1) It has nothing at all to do with the external charger or cord 99.9% of the time.

2) The metal bezel around the charging port can wobble a little as its a separate part entirely and there just to keep things aligned (of which it does a poor job).

3) The charging port is not directly connected to the PC board, but it is connected to a flex cable. This is the design flaw. The metal housing of the USB port actually separates from the flex cable as its only held on by solder and not a good joint at that.

I am going to order another flex cable/port from Ebay, but this time I am going to doctor it up before I put it into the phone. I am thinking of reinforcing it with some epoxy and some other means (tiny plastic screws maybe) before slapping it all back together one last time.

This is my Daughters phone, and she is pretty careful with her stuff. She is running my old DINC1 now without issue. HTC and Verizon have to know this is a flaw, but true to form, won't be fixing it. Just know that if your phone stops charging, or only charges when you hold the cable just so...a hard reset wont help, nor is it in any way related to software. Its a plain old poorly designed connection letting you down.
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #43 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Would you be so kind as to post a link to your favorite source for these charging ports?

EDIT: I found a couple.

Here's one for $119.00!

One for $14.95 (That's better)

I think I'll buy one just in case...
Last edited by TheAtheistReverend; June 4th, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

Angry

This one works
USB Charger Charging Port Dock Connector Flex Cable For US HTC Incredible S II 2 | eBay

For about 9 bucks. Pays to shop around...its the same part. The blown up picture shows its flaws for all the world to see. Stuff built this flimsy makes me angry.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #45 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman67 View Post
This one works
USB Charger Charging Port Dock Connector Flex Cable For US HTC Incredible S II 2 | eBay

For about 9 bucks. Pays to shop around...its the same part. The blown up picture shows its flaws for all the world to see. Stuff built this flimsy makes me angry.

Haha, I literally had JUST clicked "confirm payment" on the 14.95 one and the email notification for this post showed up.
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #46 (permalink)

Just finished replacing the USB charging port. All systems are GO!
Thanks everyone for the info!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to initial_V For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (June 26th, 2012), TheAtheistReverend (June 8th, 2012)
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #47 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Sweet, glad to hear it!
My port just arrived in the mail. Holding on to it for a rainy day. It is the only thing I can see going bad with this phone as long as I don't break the screen or something.
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtheistReverend View Post
Sweet, glad to hear it!
My port just arrived in the mail. Holding on to it for a rainy day. It is the only thing I can see going bad with this phone as long as I don't break the screen or something.
Right on. I might just stock up on one or two more of the USB ports for future uses. Luckily I have an Otterbox Defender case on my Dinc2 24/7! Aside from my newly installed USB port, I also have 2 additional batteries for my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to initial_V For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (June 26th, 2012)
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s): Current: Moto X ... Retired: Razr Maxx Rooted, HTC Incredible 2 Rooted, HTC Eris Rooted

Send a message via Yahoo to thetomlin2 thetomlin2

Great info here guys ... Thanks. My charging port went bad yesterday and called Verizon. I am not due for an upgrade till Feb, but they moved the upgrade date up since they had no idea how to fix the charge port. After a little bitching and moaning they gave me a Razr Maxx for $150. Now just need to get the Inc2 working so I can sell it on eBay.
The Following User Says Thank You to thetomlin2 For This Useful Post:
blackepoxy (June 26th, 2012)
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #50 (permalink)
Wait. What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetomlin2 View Post
Great info here guys ... Thanks. My charging port went bad yesterday and called Verizon. I am not due for an upgrade till Feb, but they moved the upgrade date up since they had no idea how to fix the charge port. After a little bitching and moaning they gave me a Razr Maxx for $150. Now just need to get the Inc2 working so I can sell it on eBay.
Sweet. Let us know how the charging port fix goes for you! Sorry to see you moving to Moto. Take care Minnesota

HTC Droid Incredible 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC DROID Incredible 2 launched on April 28th and does well enough to follow the original up. It's not going to be a must-have device for those who own and enjoy the original, but folks new to the DROID party who want an HTC phone shouldn&#... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2