Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Sim cards abroad?

heya
I bought the Dinc 2 yesterday off of Ebay (haven't recieved it yet)
I was in a hurry and really didn't research the phone, but I had the DInc1 and loved it!

The fact that it is a global phone is Awesome since I leave for Europe in 3 weeks.

My question is- can you buy a sim card overseas and have it work? Such as, can I go to Greece, buy a sim card at the airport and have it run off of those minutes rather than the verizon network?

If someone could explain this to me, it would very greatful. Thanks!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmnemms View Post
heya
I bought the Dinc 2 yesterday off of Ebay (haven't recieved it yet)
I was in a hurry and really didn't research the phone, but I had the DInc1 and loved it!

The fact that it is a global phone is Awesome since I leave for Europe in 3 weeks.

My question is- can you buy a sim card overseas and have it work? Such as, can I go to Greece, buy a sim card at the airport and have it run off of those minutes rather than the verizon network?

If someone could explain this to me, it would very greatful. Thanks!
I leave for Europe in 6 weeks and have the same question

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb82
Some of you (<deleted> and the OP) are ridiculous. jrmckins is not.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anybody want a peanut?

Device(s): 1+1,SG4, DNA, N7
Carrier: Depends on the breeze.

There is a lot more info out there than I have, but i do know you need to get the unlock code from Verizon for the phone first. Should be free, just call Global Support. I believe the place to input that is in Settings>Security>Disable SIM Lock.
Then you need to Switch your Preferred Network to GSM or Global in Settings>Call

But I have never done this, so you should really look for advice from those who have done it.

Google "unlocking incredible 2 for global use"
There are videos and forum posts galore. Or maybe someone here will be able to tell you with more confidence than I.

Get your own DropBox HERE! Get Copy too!
Last edited by TheAtheistReverend; June 14th, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Thanks for the reply!
I called Verizon, and they told me that as long as we had an account for over 6 months and were in good standing, they could unlock my device.

The unlock code will make it where I will no longer be tied to Verizon, and can by Prepaid SIM cards (or probably any SIM card, but I'm only interested in prepaid)

They said that I would not need to turn off data, since it will not be connected to Verizon... But I'd rather be safe than sorry and will rely only on Wifi over there.

Also, you can add an international data plan to your account for $5 a month and using Verizons network, call the states from $1-$2 a minute (depending on what country) but data would cost you $20+ PER MB!!! Which absurd!

According to the Service Rep that was helping me (and absolutely amazing! I wish I remembered his name so that I could write a good note to the company!) He informed me that you also need to set up the phone for international dialing (I assume so you can add the country's code) and they will set that up for free.

I intend on paying the $5 a month for the International plan just in case my the SIM card doesn't work for some reason, turning off all data, and buying a prepaid SIM card upon arrival. Being able to contact home is vital for me, so hopefully this will do the trick!
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just got back from France, where I got an Orange Telephone Mobicarte for 30 days phone service for 9 Euro. Worked fine - they even put in the SIM card into my unlocked phone.

All your apps and phone book are still there with the new SIM card, and remain after you return and swap the Verizon SIM card back in.

I also bought the InternetMax service for 2 weeks at 5 Euro a week but couldn't get it to work, but I think I had a bad setting on my phone that blocked it from working: I had Mobile Network turned off, I found when I got home. As it turns out, that setting needn't be changed as there is no risk of excessive usage as Verizon will not work in Europe, period, as it is CDM, not GSM cell service. This is a problem for ATT folks however
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterLech For This Useful Post:
bberryhill0 (June 20th, 2012)

HTC Droid Incredible 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC DROID Incredible 2 launched on April 28th and does well enough to follow the original up. It's not going to be a must-have device for those who own and enjoy the original, but folks new to the DROID party who want an HTC phone shouldn&#... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2