Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Straight Talk on HTC Incredible 2 Global

I have an HTC Incredible 2 Global (has the SIM slot). I've read that people have been successful using a Straight Talk card in it. I've also read that some people can't get it to work.

I called Verizon, received unlock code and unlocked my phone (unlocked the SIM card, I mean). I know about the APN settings and want to get this things up and running, but I'd like to know if any of you have gotten it to work before I take the plunge.

Specifically, if I were to purchase a Straight Talk SIM card/plan (to work with AT&T's network) would it work on my Incredible 2 Gobal?

Thanks for any help on this!

Ultranius is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
amarryat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 365
 
Device(s): Incredible 1 & 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultranius View Post
I have an HTC Incredible 2 Global (has the SIM slot). I've read that people have been successful using a Straight Talk card in it. I've also read that some people can't get it to work.

I called Verizon, received unlock code and unlocked my phone (unlocked the SIM card, I mean). I know about the APN settings and want to get this things up and running, but I'd like to know if any of you have gotten it to work before I take the plunge.

Specifically, if I were to purchase a Straight Talk SIM card/plan (to work with AT&T's network) would it work on my Incredible 2 Gobal?

Thanks for any help on this!
It definitely works. I did the same thing as you. I signed up for one month on Straight Talk to try it out - $45 plus the SIM card for $10 minus a coupon code I found online and the bottom line was $46 or so. I chose to try AT&T. It worked just fine in my area. The BIG problem is that data is very slow since this phone doesn't have the capability to work with AT&T's 3G network frequencies. So you're stuck with their old EDGE network.

I also used my phone in London last January on the Orange network, and it worked perfectly there too.
amarryat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarryat View Post
It definitely works. I did the same thing as you. I signed up for one month on Straight Talk to try it out - $45 plus the SIM card for $10 minus a coupon code I found online and the bottom line was $46 or so. I chose to try AT&T. It worked just fine in my area. The BIG problem is that data is very slow since this phone doesn't have the capability to work with AT&T's 3G network frequencies. So you're stuck with their old EDGE network.

I also used my phone in London last January on the Orange network, and it worked perfectly there too.
I live in the southern part of NH. Where did you try AT&T out and how was it?
Ultranius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
amarryat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 365
 
Device(s): Incredible 1 & 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultranius View Post
I live in the southern part of NH. Where did you try AT&T out and how was it?
I'm a half hour southeast of Boston. Worked everywhere I tried in my area just fine. I'm guessing the coverage is identical to AT&T's for the most part. I also tried it in PA about an hour north of Philadelphia and it was perfect there as well.

As I said, the data is slow though, but I tried TuneIn Radio at the gym, and it was fast enough to stream audio. I wouldn't try it with Netflix though.
amarryat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Straight Talk on HTC Incredible 2 Update

I purchased one of Straight Talk's SIM cards along with their $45 unlimited plan and so far I only have a few issues.

Coverage is somewhat spotty in southern NH. I ordered the SIM card that uses compatible, and unlocked, GSM phones, but while using the service I noticed that I'm using AT&T's towers. This would normally be fine as most spots have good coverage outside, but indoors is a different animal. In fact, as I write this at my kitchen table my phone has zero bars. Sitting close to the livingroom drives it up to one bar. I thought it might have something to do with Verizon placing some kind of firmware block on this phone, but I believe that was for blocking the 3G speeds on other networks, so I'm not sure.

I didn't have too many issues getting setup when the SIM card first came in. I had to kept switching between GSM-only and GSM/UMTS-only. Eventually voice and SMS/MMS began working. Data was a different story. Not only would it not save my APN settings, but when I tried to scan for the nearest GSM network, T-Mobile popped up, which is strange. To make a long story short, the only way I could get the data to save and work correctly was to set it up outside. I guess it needed to have a decent network signal to see/save my settings. Never saw that before but at least it works. I hope my experience helps others with similar issues.

And finally, although the data is working, it's only utilizing AT&T's old EDGE network speeds; instead of "3G" at the top, I'm seeing "E" for EDGE. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix this (rooting or otherwise), but if anyone knows it would be fantastic if you would share it with me as these slow speeds are killing me. My bill did reduce by more than 50% so it's definitely a good deal (something I HIGHLY recommend if you're in a strong AT&T/T-Mobile coverage area), I would just like to get something more than 25kbps down.

Either way, thanks for reading and I hope this helps others.
Ultranius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
amarryat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 365
 
Device(s): Incredible 1 & 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultranius View Post


Coverage is somewhat spotty in southern NH. I ordered the SIM card that uses compatible, and unlocked, GSM phones, but while using the service I noticed that I'm using AT&T's towers. This would normally be fine as most spots have good coverage outside, but indoors is a different animal. In fact, as I write this at my kitchen table my phone has zero bars. Sitting close to the livingroom drives it up to one bar. I thought it might have something to do with Verizon placing some kind of firmware block on this phone, but I believe that was for blocking the 3G speeds on other networks, so I'm not sure.

And finally, although the data is working, it's only utilizing AT&T's old EDGE network speeds; instead of "3G" at the top, I'm seeing "E" for EDGE. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix this (rooting or otherwise), but if anyone knows it would be fantastic if you would share it with me as these slow speeds are killing me.
Sounds like AT&T doesn't have good service in your area. I know that several years ago, when I was on a business trip near Manchester's airport, one of my collegues who was on AT&T was blown away that I had 3G service there (on Verizon). He said he had to go the Boston area in order to get 3G on his iPhone.

Like I said before, the Incredible 2 radio does not have the capability to use 3G on the GSM frequencies that T-Mobile and AT&T use in the US. The radio is only able to do 2G. That's just how the phone was made, so there is no way around that. If you go to Europe, they use different frequencies for 3G and the phone is designed to work there.
amarryat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Incredible 2

Why didn't you just switch to regular Straightalk, as I understand it then uses the Verizon towers. The SIM side was designed to be used overseas not in the US.
greenfrog42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
ctc
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 281
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog42 View Post
Why didn't you just switch to regular Straightalk, as I understand it then uses the Verizon towers. The SIM side was designed to be used overseas not in the US.
That's what I want to know. Can you use straightalk CDMA somehow with the inc 2?
ctc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have just joined the forums having just gotten a Dinc2 for the 3nd tier carrier that I am on, so maybe I can validate what you're trying to do and suggest an alternative. I use Kitty Wireless, who is an affiliate for Page Plus, who sits on top of Verizon. You can check out Kitty via Google as I'm unable to post links as a newbie. I have been with them for a few years now and am absolutely satisfied. I use their Talk n text 1200 plan - 1200 min talk, 3000 texts, 250 MB data for $30 a month. Works for me. There are lots of other plans depending on your needs, but the cost is more favorable than the main carriers. The supported phone selection they offer is very limited, but there are other phones that work quite well and the only issue is that Kitty and PP won't help you with them if something doesn't work. They have an active forum network for help though, and one of their go-to phones is the Dinc2. So here I am, figuring out if I want to stay stock or root and re-rom. So... I don't know about Straight Talk, but there are CDMA alternatives are there and check out Kitty as an alternative. I have been very happy with their support and service over the years and highly recommend them if their plans suit your needs. You can't beat the costs. I do believe data speeds are limited (slow) if that's an issue for you. Good hunting.
Barc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Straight Talk doesn't allow any CDMA phone (Verizon or Sprint) for the 'Bring Your Own Phone' program; where you simply buy the SIM, install it, activate your service and way you go. The 'BYOP' is reserved for GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile) only. Basically, if your phone can handle 800/1900mhz, regardless what initial GSM carrier it was on before, it will work.

I'm using the Incredible 2 Global right now. As long as I can pick up a decent signal -- usually outside or near windows -- it's fine. Doesn't compare to Verizon service, though, at least in this area. It appears that the only bad side to this deal is that if you're using this phone you'll only receive AT&T's older Edge speeds (pre-3G era). Definitely slower, but it does work. And with Straight Talk it's unlimited, which is great.
Ultranius is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
krikit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: @krikitmedia
Gender: Male
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): ZTE Awe, Samsung Galaxy Victory - Rooted, HTC Hero (Sprint) - rooted/CM7, Samsung Moment - rooted/Ub
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I already have a Straight Talk phone with a sim card I was hoping to use on a DINC2. I know people have gotten it working on this phone, but it's not usually apparent if they're just buying the sim for the BYOP service, or if they're swapping them out. I've seen old videos of people swapping sim's out into iphone's, etc., so I'm hoping it's a non-issue.

Can I just use the flip-phone Straight Talk sim I already have? If so, does anyone know what I need to do after unlocking the DINC2 from Verizon? It's now unlocked with the sim recognized, but it's trying to force Global instead of GSM. Outgoing calls are still trying to route to Verizon for activation or what have you.
krikit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikit View Post
I already have a Straight Talk phone with a sim card I was hoping to use on a DINC2. I know people have gotten it working on this phone, but it's not usually apparent if they're just buying the sim for the BYOP service, or if they're swapping them out. I've seen old videos of people swapping sim's out into iphone's, etc., so I'm hoping it's a non-issue.

Can I just use the flip-phone Straight Talk sim I already have? If so, does anyone know what I need to do after unlocking the DINC2 from Verizon? It's now unlocked with the sim recognized, but it's trying to force Global instead of GSM. Outgoing calls are still trying to route to Verizon for activation or what have you.
The BYOP (bring your own phone) program does state that your phone must be used with either AT&T or T-Mobile only, as they generally have SIMs and Verizon/Sprint phones do not. Generally. There are exceptions to this rule, as in using an Incredible 2 (Verizon) with a SIM card made to be used with either AT&T or T-Mobile networks.

If you call Verizon and request the unlock code (it doesn't matter the reason, you have that right to do so, and you may be required to continually call back to get that code as they're very stubborn about it), just enter the code to unlock it, power it down, stick in your AT&T/T-Mobile SIM card, turn it back on and follow the directions StraightTalk provides you (either via their website or with a newly purchased SIM card from them).

I know for a fact that the AT&T SIM works great on mine, but I have had no actual experience with using the T-Mobile SIM (though I'm sure it'll work as well).

As far as using your current SIM card, as long as it's for AT&T/T-Mobile I believe it will work. If it was used with Sprint/Verizon, you'd have to test that to find out (some CDMA phones do actually use SIM cards, but mostly for either dual-network usage or for use with overseas networks).

Hope that helps... go Straight Talk!
Ultranius is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultranius For This Useful Post:
krikit (December 7th, 2013)
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
amarryat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 365
 
Device(s): Incredible 1 & 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultranius View Post

I know for a fact that the AT&T SIM works great on mine, but I have had no actual experience with using the T-Mobile SIM (though I'm sure it'll work as well).
T-Mobile works too - a few months after trying the AT&T SIM, I tried the T-Mobile SIM thru StraightTalk just to see how signal is around where I live.
amarryat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
amarryat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 365
 
Device(s): Incredible 1 & 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikit View Post
It's now unlocked with the sim recognized, but it's trying to force Global instead of GSM. Outgoing calls are still trying to route to Verizon for activation or what have you.
Check the StraightTalk website - they have instructions. Their activation card tells you to go to straighttalksim.com, and from there you can click on support and get the data settings for both AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs.

And on the phone, don't set it to global mode - set it to GSM. Then it won't try switching back to Verizon.
amarryat is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amarryat For This Useful Post:
krikit (December 7th, 2013)
Reply

HTC Droid Incredible 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC DROID Incredible 2 launched on April 28th and does well enough to follow the original up. It's not going to be a must-have device for those who own and enjoy the original, but folks new to the DROID party who want an HTC phone shouldn&#... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible 2
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.