Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

View Poll Results: Did this method work for you?
yes 56 91.80%
no 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincy
Posts: 671
 
Device(s): S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 150
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I think appbrain is the route I'm going to go to restore my apps. Sync your apps through appbrain, then after you update your phone to 2.2 go back to the market, install appbrain, sign in under your gmail account and they should all be listed there waiting to be downloaded. When you click on an app in appbrain it actually takes you to market.

Question for you, I use swype, will this be on my sd card to restore or will it be lost? I can't live without swype.

I see now, swype is on my sdcard. Hopefully it installs ok.

Rdjr74 is offline  
Last edited by Rdjr74; August 30th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincy
Posts: 671
 
Device(s): S3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 150
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Delete
Rdjr74 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,677
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (retired galaxy nexus, htc incredible)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 643
Thanked 841 Times in 516 Posts
Default

lol people still use XP?
jamor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #54 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible 2.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
jd1970
Default

With regard to Swype. You have to go back to the Swype website and have them resend you the beta download email. I did it and it worked great. You will need to log into Swype online to send this to your GMail account.
What I found with appbrain is it makes another phone on your list of phones which is OK. Just go to your old phone select all of your apps and add them to your new phone. Once that is done go to the settings tab on the site and select the new DINC as your default.
jd1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1970 For This Useful Post:
true (August 30th, 2010)
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #55 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Trying this with my old XP SP2 desktop. I keep getting the 170 error.
VigCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
true's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III Debloated SynergyROM (Nightly) R64
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 60 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamor View Post
lol people still use XP?
obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigCS View Post
Trying this with my old XP SP2 desktop. I keep getting the 170 error.
did you try the methods in this thread?
RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7

this might be of some use during the troubleshooting too:
Application - HTC Sync 2.0.40 (for Android 1.5 & 1.6)

let me know if that works.
__________________
..imagination is more important than knowledge... - a. einstein
true is offline  
Last edited by true; August 30th, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
true's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III Debloated SynergyROM (Nightly) R64
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 60 Times in 18 Posts
Default over 9000

has anybody else tried it?

there have been 400+ downloads of the RUU, im curious how theyre all working out!
true is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to true For This Useful Post:
WolfGTI (August 30th, 2010)
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
jbh00jh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by true View Post
has anybody else tried it?

there have been 400+ downloads of the RUU, im curious how theyre all working out!
Worked great for me , backed up apps on ASTRO . Downloaded the 8/26 RUU
on my xp netbook , plugged in my phone and flashed. 35 minutes later (after restoring my apps ) I was on my way . The RUU is running great with no problems or bugs , better wi-fi reception . And best of all , no more waiting for the OTA.
__________________
HTC 4G LTE Rezound
jbh00jh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #59 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
retiredberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somewhere very close to you
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

SOoo, if i perform this operation and it wipes my phone will it also wipe the leaked ota from July?? I am not tech savy enough to downgrade and the phone works great but would like the official. Orrrr, will this brick my phone due to the radio codes being the same or are they the same--excuse all the noob questions just trying to learn!!
retiredberry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #60 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nurseferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 91
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default RUU AND keep app updates?

I really appreciate all the simple instructions and tips you guys are puttin' out. Even though I'm only half-a-geek, I love to do stuff like this and want to do it...but I really like getting application update notifications from the Market. Is there any way to keep my link to the Market? Even if I have to individually reload the apps--will the Market at least remember me and know what I've paid for?
Thanks again for all the collective wisdom, and special thanks to True!
Nurseferatu is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 139
 
Device(s): Droid Thunderbolt.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseferatu View Post
I really appreciate all the simple instructions and tips you guys are puttin' out. Even though I'm only half-a-geek, I love to do stuff like this and want to do it...but I really like getting application update notifications from the Market. Is there any way to keep my link to the Market? Even if I have to individually reload the apps--will the Market at least remember me and know what I've paid for?
Thanks again for all the collective wisdom, and special thanks to True!

After you run RUU and the phone reboots, you have to go through the initial setup process just like if it was a new phone. During the installation it will prompt you to either setup a google id or if you have one enter it. Once you enter your current Google ID it will link up with Market just like it did before you upgraded.
rob316 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob316 For This Useful Post:
Nurseferatu (August 30th, 2010)
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #62 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jmolek28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

same steps work for x64 Vista.. RUU is stable and really fast.. so far im glad i did this
jmolek28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #63 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by true View Post
obviously.



did you try the methods in this thread?
RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7

this might be of some use during the troubleshooting too:
Application - HTC Sync 2.0.40 (for Android 1.5 & 1.6)

let me know if that works.
I tried that method with my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate machine, but not with XP. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
VigCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #64 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): LTE Galaxy Nexus, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Loving the RUU. I couldn't wait for the OTA and wanted to start 2.2 from a fresh slate as far as the device is concerned.

The biggest difference I've noticed has been the wireless N signal has got my Incredible at full signal where I had maybe 25% signal with 2.1.
emmur0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I finally got tired of waiting for VZ to get off their butts to push this out more, so i went the RUU, and with the instructions on this post from everyone i had Froyo running on my phone in 10 minutes, with NO issues.

Thank you to everyone who posted the instructions and the updates to those instructions.

Installed from an XP machine.
__________________
"Freedom is never free, it is paid for with the blood of patriots".
Havoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
ctc
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 281
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Ok, anyone else using appbrain? I ran the RUU successfully but after I installed appbrain and sync'd it only shows the installed apps on the phone (when looking at the app on the phone). When looking at the appbrain website from my PC, I see all of my apps under "My Apps".


EDIT: Nevermind. It created another list on my appbrain account for this version of Android. So I just had to copy the apps from the old list to the new one.
ctc is offline  
Last edited by ctc; August 30th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #67 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Got it to work! I updated to SP3 and it went off without a hitch. Any idea if I can restore my contacts? Coulda sworn they were stored on the SD card.

EDIT: Nevermind .
VigCS is offline  
Last edited by VigCS; August 30th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #68 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
CaptBananaPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Holy F, the new start-up animation is cool. Nerd goosebumps!
CaptBananaPants is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #69 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 56
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Default Anyone able to offer some help doing this download?

If anyone can offer some help,

I have downloaded the file and it is the correct size. It is on my desktop.
I hooked up the phone and set to disk drive.

When I click on the file I have on my desktop, Windows want me to either;
Open file with Firefox, or Save File. I cannot "run" the program.

What am I doing wrong?
keving is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
icrazy2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I have apps written down, contacts on Verizon contact sync thing, does that sound good? Also, since the ruu is the same, does it have 270 tilt and message widget? Just wanna make sure everything is the same.
icrazy2u is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #71 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrazy2u View Post
I have apps written down, contacts on Verizon contact sync thing, does that sound good? Also, since the ruu is the same, does it have 270 tilt and message widget? Just wanna make sure everything is the same.
Yes the 270 works on the RUU version and the message widget is kicka$$
Havoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #72 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): LTE Galaxy Nexus, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrazy2u View Post
I have apps written down, contacts on Verizon contact sync thing, does that sound good? Also, since the ruu is the same, does it have 270 tilt and message widget? Just wanna make sure everything is the same.
270 Tilt - Check
Message Widget - Check

It's all there
emmur0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 188
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default

on XP, Got the 170 error....

Downloading/Installing the HTC Sync file posted above, but it says its for Android 1.5 and 1.6...is this gonna work?
pucrepeap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #74 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucrepeap View Post
on XP, Got the 170 error....

Downloading/Installing the HTC Sync file posted above, but it says its for Android 1.5 and 1.6...is this gonna work?
I got that error on XP as well, and yes the Sync install made it go away
Havoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Havoc For This Useful Post:
pucrepeap (August 30th, 2010)
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
icrazy2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
Yes the 270 works on the RUU version and the message widget is kicka$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmur0 View Post
270 Tilt - Check
Message Widget - Check

It's all there
Thanks. Its go time.
icrazy2u is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #76 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Downloaded the megaupload file, read the readme.txt, synced up (w/XP SP3, HTCsync v2.0.25), and updated per description. Worked like a charm, not a hitch.

SD card was not touched, everything was there where it should be. Saw this concern in another post somewhere...

Pretty GPS and network on/off widgets

/hi5 true!!!!
JAX225 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #77 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 31
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Thanks for the Instructions!

I was able to get the RUU up and running after getting the 170 error and than following the additional instructions in the other thread. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit.

2.2 is smooth!
tehknics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #78 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

On my XP machine when I connected the Inc got "ADM" couldn't be loaded. Tried the update, 170 error. Went back loaded HTC Sync, then tried again...PERFECT!

No more waiting on OTA, true, had to do some tweaking, but loving it!
mtollin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
JuniorNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere NEAR Cupertino...North NJ
Posts: 288
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I did this and it worked flawlessly. This is a great thread. I wanted to talk about getting a little more specific when reinstalling apps through Astro. Since a lot of my apps get updates 3 times a week if not more, will I no longer be getting notified that there is an update available in the market ? Will i be able to go to the market manually, look at my downloads and see there is an update available? Or will the phone ignore the fact that there is a newer version out in the market ? If so, how can we work around this problem, would we have to uninstall the app (after we restored it), go to market and re-install it officially to get back update notifications?

Its important to me because a lot of the games I play are always being worked on, updated, levels added, etc.
JuniorNA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #80 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
true's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III Debloated SynergyROM (Nightly) R64
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 60 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNA View Post
I did this and it worked flawlessly. This is a great thread. I wanted to talk about getting a little more specific when reinstalling apps through Astro. Since a lot of my apps get updates 3 times a week if not more, will I no longer be getting notified that there is an update available in the market ? Will i be able to go to the market manually, look at my downloads and see there is an update available? Or will the phone ignore the fact that there is a newer version out in the market ? If so, how can we work around this problem, would we have to uninstall the app (after we restored it), go to market and re-install it officially to get back update notifications?

Its important to me because a lot of the games I play are always being worked on, updated, levels added, etc.
JuniorNA,

you are correct in that you will not be receiving updates through the Market if you reinstall the apps from Astro as a backup file. Going to the Market after a backup install will not relink the application.

what i would suggest is, since youre already losing the information on your apps, just erase them with the update and reinstall from the Market. dont even bother with backing them up.

uninstalling the app after reinstalling it as a backup is counterintuitive.
just skip that step and reinstall straight from the market.

some users have been using an app called "AppBrain." i have no experience with this app so i wouldnt know its functions. it might be able to relink the applications somehow, but as far as i know apps that are reinstalled from a backup are then considered 3rd party and no longer update.


p.s thanks for the kind words!
true is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
JuniorNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere NEAR Cupertino...North NJ
Posts: 288
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by true View Post
JuniorNA,

you are correct in that you will not be receiving updates through the Market if you reinstall the apps from Astro as a backup file. Going to the Market after a backup install will not relink the application.

what i would suggest is, since youre already losing the information on your apps, just erase them with the update and reinstall from the Market. dont even bother with backing them up.

uninstalling the app after reinstalling it as a backup is counterintuitive.
just skip that step and reinstall straight from the market.

some users have been using an app called "AppBrain." i have no experience with this app so i wouldnt know its functions. it might be able to relink the applications somehow, but as far as i know apps that are reinstalled from a backup are then considered 3rd party and no longer update.


p.s thanks for the kind words!

True, I'm sure this will help many people that have the same question about these . You're absolutely right, it's pointless to backup apps then reinstall AGAIN. I'd rather write them down and then go to the market and redownload, it's not that many anyway.

Thanks again.
Real quickly i'd like to point out that the Error code 170 was received during the update, but all i did was install HTC sync on this machine, plug in phone, let it recognize some devices, left HTC sync open and it went through with no problems.
JuniorNA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Terabethia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,071
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible. Rooted with 2.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 311 Times in 173 Posts
Default

No more waiting on Froyo!! Thanks for the super simple instructions.

I spent about 40 minutes fighting with my PC (Windows 7) to make it work. Finally I gave up and went and stole my mom's laptop (she has my old laptop with XP still on it). It didn't work at first but then I remembered she didn't have HTC Sync. I installed that, rebooted the laptop, connected my phone, ran the installer and BAM! I got Froyo in about 6 minutes.

Now I am on my way back home and will spend the rest of my night resetting up all my apps and folders and icons and blah blah blah... this could take hours. LOL
__________________
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Terabethia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
true's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III Debloated SynergyROM (Nightly) R64
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 60 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNA View Post
True, I'm sure this will help many people that have the same question about these . You're absolutely right, it's pointless to backup apps then reinstall AGAIN. I'd rather write them down and then go to the market and redownload, it's not that many anyway.

Thanks again.
Real quickly i'd like to point out that the Error code 170 was received during the update, but all i did was install HTC sync on this machine, plug in phone, let it recognize some devices, left HTC sync open and it went through with no problems.
correct, i knew that htc sync is the resolution to error 170, but didnt want to clutter the original post with instructions on how to resolve that too. my intention was "short and sweet." so i just linked to another thread that had already discussed and resolved the issue.

my original post has been renamed though? i didnt do it. i guess an op went in and added "How TO INSTALL -" which is fine..
..it just bothers me that "How" isnt all upper case like "TO INSTALL" is. :x

do you have any say in this?
can this be corrected?
true is offline  
Last edited by true; August 30th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #84 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 188
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
I got that error on XP as well, and yes the Sync install made it go away

Worked like a charm! Woohoo tasty Froyo!
pucrepeap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jayjay1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I'll be where I'm at!
Posts: 1,454
 
Device(s): GS4
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 352
Thanked 338 Times in 208 Posts
Default

All, if I could throw my .02 in here in reference to the errors...

Has anyone tried simply connecting their phone to the PC and then just rebooting the PC with the phone attached?
jayjay1122 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #86 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Terabethia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,071
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible. Rooted with 2.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 311 Times in 173 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by true View Post
some users have been using an app called "AppBrain." i have no experience with this app so i wouldnt know its functions. it might be able to relink the applications somehow, but as far as i know apps that are reinstalled from a backup are then considered 3rd party and no longer update.
AppBrain is amazing. Actually, it's the only thing I have ever used, I don't even use the market.

You use your google account to sync with AppBrain. Once you are synced with it, it stores your app lists on their servers so you just have to reinstall AppBrain on your phone and sync back up. All of your apps will be there.

It's also really nice to be able to completely manage your app's online. You can set up several lists for different apps and browse through them all from your PC. I had all of my app's picked out and saved before I ever even got my phone.

AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market
Terabethia is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terabethia For This Useful Post:
SpinDisc (August 31st, 2010)
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #87 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nurseferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 91
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Yo most excellent peeps, I am ready ready ready to do the RUU thing...then I thought: Maybe the OTA doesn't wipe the phone like the RUU does. If I wait for the OTA, maybe I won't have to reinstall Swype and all my apps from the Market (to preserve my update notifications). That's my question: Anyone know if the OTA wipes everything like the RUU does?
Nurseferatu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #88 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
true's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III Debloated SynergyROM (Nightly) R64
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 60 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseferatu View Post
Yo most excellent peeps, I am ready ready ready to do the RUU thing...then I thought: Maybe the OTA doesn't wipe the phone like the RUU does. If I wait for the OTA, maybe I won't have to reinstall Swype and all my apps from the Market (to preserve my update notifications). That's my question: Anyone know if the OTA wipes everything like the RUU does?
OTA does not erase any data.

but there has been talk about receiving the OTA then having to do a factory reset anyway because of all the crap that was loaded on the phone before it came in.

so in the end, you get the same result.
erased all data on phone and a 2.2 update.

the RUU doesnt seem to experience these problems because it flashes the memory regardless. giving it a completely clean platform in which to install.
true is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #89 (permalink)
Member
 
jbh00jh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseferatu View Post
Yo most excellent peeps, I am ready ready ready to do the RUU thing...then I thought: Maybe the OTA doesn't wipe the phone like the RUU does. If I wait for the OTA, maybe I won't have to reinstall Swype and all my apps from the Market (to preserve my update notifications). That's my question: Anyone know if the OTA wipes everything like the RUU does?
The OTA won't wipe out your apps. The RUU will wipe the phone clean , which is a good thing. Most folks that have been working with updating smartphones over the years will tell you it is better to start off with a clean slate. You could have an app on your phone that has not been updated to run on 2.2 and it could cause you problems down the road.
Some people who have gotten the OTA are already complaining about bugs and apps not working correctly. So far I have not heard that from the the RUU installs , everybody is happy with them , check the other forums.
But in the end it is up to you , what you want to do.
jbh00jh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #90 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nurseferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 91
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
The OTA won't wipe out your apps. The RUU will wipe the phone clean , which is a good thing. Most folks that have been working with updating smartphones over the years will tell you it is better to start off with a clean slate. You could have an app on your phone that has not been updated to run on 2.2 and it could cause you problems down the road.
Some people who have gotten the OTA are already complaining about bugs and apps not working correctly. So far I have not heard that from the the RUU installs , everybody is happy with them , check the other forums.
But in the end it is up to you , what you want to do.
True and jbh00jh: Thank you for your clear and prompt responses--you are wonderful and I love you!
Oops, here comes my husband
Nurseferatu is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #91 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 188
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default

For some reason AppBrain wasn't restoring my apps...I don't know why not. But luckily I had backed them up using ASTRO too. That restored them no problem.

Also made sure to backup my contacts using the built in backup thingy.

Used Launcher Pro to backup my layout, so that was easy to get back. Just had to replace the widgets. no prob.

I thought that it would wipe the internal storage though, so I backed up my pics, videos, music....It was all still there when I finished!

The only part that I had to restore was my settings, apps, contacts. All in all, it was a pretty pain free process. I can't believe how many people are complaining about not having 2.2 OTA sent to them, when they can just follow these easy steps and get it!
pucrepeap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #92 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Will the OTA update to Froyo 2.2 also delete all of your apps unless you back them up using astro file manager or appbrain?

one of my paid programs (Beautiful Widgets) is always updating and releasing new versions. i'm weary of making this program "un-updatable"
reflekt2099 is offline  
Last edited by reflekt2099; August 30th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #93 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
true's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III Debloated SynergyROM (Nightly) R64
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 60 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflekt2099 View Post
Will the OTA update to Froyo 2.2 also delete all of your apps unless you back them up using astro file manager or appbrain?

one of my paid programs (Beautiful Widgets) is always updating and releasing new versions. i'm weary of making this program "un-updatable"
the market makes it to where you can redownload your paid apps for free.
true is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #94 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nurseferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 91
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default OMG, it worked!

Like I said, I'm about half-geek...I'm an almost elderly RN who now works with software and hardware engineers. So I've experienced my share of both human and electronic Code Blues.

This RUU thing worked GREAT. I've re-loaded all my apps from the Market and am now downloading the Swype Beta again.

Thanks, guys!
Nurseferatu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #95 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to WolfGTI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by true View Post
has anybody else tried it?

there have been 400+ downloads of the RUU, im curious how theyre all working out!
I just did it and it worked fine - thanks for the information and instructions.
WolfGTI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #96 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Worked for me on Windows 7 64-bit. No errors at all. Phone runs beautifully.
cromulent742 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #97 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1970 View Post
With regard to Swype. You have to go back to the Swype website and have them resend you the beta download email. I did it and it worked great. You will need to log into Swype online to send this to your GMail account.
What I found with appbrain is it makes another phone on your list of phones which is OK. Just go to your old phone select all of your apps and add them to your new phone. Once that is done go to the settings tab on the site and select the new DINC as your default.
Thanks! Thought I lost swype for good!
__________________
Hi... My name is Hipshot.... And I'm an "Incredible" Droidaholic!
Hipshot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #98 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just finished the update, I got the 170 error and had to use HTC Sync. No on to try and restore everything.

Thanks,

Rob
rjm12rjm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #99 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 67
 
Device(s): Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Just did the update. Contacts backed by Verizon backup assistant, apps by Astro App Manager, photos & videos saved to phone all came back for me. Enjoying Froyo. No errors, running XP SP3
CREVZ21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #100 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): First smart phone = HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm what you call a newbie to smart phones and have not a clue how to root but these steps to get Froyo on the incredible were straight to the point and I got 2.2 on my Dinc with ease. It also works great so thank you for this thread. It couldn't have been easier. Thanks again! No more waiting for the OTA. WOOT
mosabi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Droid Incredible
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When the HTC Droid Incredible launched in spring of 2010, it quickly became one of Verizon's hottest Android phones ever. Sporting many of the same features as its cousin, the Google-branded Nexus One, the Incredible features a 1GHz Snapdragon ... Read More

Tags
2.2, froyo, htc incredible, ruu, windows xp


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.