Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible (coming soon)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Will the upgrade to 2.2 be free for us?

Whenever 2.2 comes out, will we be able to get it on our phones? And if so, is it free or do we pay a fee?

Cowybuga is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Android updates are always free.
drtrmiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 17
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Just so you know...

There is some discussion as how long or if ever, the 2.2 update will actually get to the HTC Incredible. Basically, there is a concern the the HTC Sense UI, may make it difficult to "officially" update the phone. (Since it doesn't run plain android... updates may take longer)
ank218 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
bowerman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Updates take a little longer due to the sense UI from HTC. But judging from the past, the biggest hang up on time is usually Verizon. They take for ever to release updates for all their phones.
 
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rubik76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 546
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible HTC Droid Eris 2.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 160 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank218 View Post
Just so you know...

There is some discussion as how long or if ever, the 2.2 update will actually get to the HTC Incredible. Basically, there is a concern the the HTC Sense UI, may make it difficult to "officially" update the phone. (Since it doesn't run plain android... updates may take longer)
I haven't heard that it is in doubt. Trust me, I am currently living the Droid Eris 1.5 to 2.1 drama, so I know what you are talking about as far as the issues with Sense getting upgraded, and I agree that (unless Google, HTC, and VZW start getting into a room together early in the game to plan things out), there will be a lag in getting major OS upgrades to Sense phones, but I've never heard it discussed that the HTC's wouldn't get the upgrade at all.

Also, keep in mind that 1.5 to 2.1 is a major leap. There were (as I understand it) some fairly foundational changes to the OS between the two versions. I doubt 2.1 to 2.2 will be as big to tackle.
Rubik76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 44 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Big talk about difference b/t 2.1 to 2.2 (froyo) is that it will have FULL Flash (10.1). DI already has FlashLite. So curious as to whether there will be a real big hold up or not. Sense is definitely an issue but Google wants there OS to rule the world so I would guess they are working closely with HTC and will have things figured out just by virtue of designing 2.1 for Eris.
WVULing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 745
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Moto Xoom, SGS3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 95 Times in 59 Posts
Default

This is an issue that is keeping me from getting this phone today. I wish there was a good answer to this so that I could make a decision. I currently have the droid, and if I knew that 2.2 would be offered to the incredible about the same time as the droid, I would get it today. I know the incredible is fast, which is one of the main reasons I want it, but 2.2 is promising JIT enabled on the droid which will suposedly speed up the operating system by approximately 3 times (Immagine that speed on the incredible). I also really want flash. Which brings up a second question. What is the difference between flash light and flash? What will the full 10.1 offer that flash light does not? I was speculating that flash light will display websites with flash and flash 10.1 will support apps that are flash based. But thats just a guess. Honestly, I don't know what to do. I HATE the keyboard on the droid, I love the looks and speed of the incredible and I really hope the camera is a much better one than the droid, but I can't stand the though of waiting for many months after froyo gets released before the incredible gets it.
tjreishus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rubik76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 546
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible HTC Droid Eris 2.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 160 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjreishus View Post
This is an issue that is keeping me from getting this phone today. I wish there was a good answer to this so that I could make a decision. I currently have the droid, and if I knew that 2.2 would be offered to the incredible about the same time as the droid, I would get it today. I know the incredible is fast, which is one of the main reasons I want it, but 2.2 is promising JIT enabled on the droid which will suposedly speed up the operating system by approximately 3 times (Immagine that speed on the incredible). I also really want flash. Which brings up a second question. What is the difference between flash light and flash? What will the full 10.1 offer that flash light does not? I was speculating that flash light will display websites with flash and flash 10.1 will support apps that are flash based. But thats just a guess. Honestly, I don't know what to do. I HATE the keyboard on the droid, I love the looks and speed of the incredible and I really hope the camera is a much better one than the droid, but I can't stand the though of waiting for many months after froyo gets released before the incredible gets it.
I wonder (and this is fairly ignorant speculation) if the N1 and Inc are similare enough that you'd be able to strip Sense off the Inc and flash an N1 2.2 ROM onto it, if it started to look like 2.2 for the Inc was going to be delayed by Sense. Might take root and some massaging of the ROM but I don't see it as an impossibility...
Rubik76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I need update

If anyone knows where i can find android 2.2 update the post it a.s.a.p.
elmo123546 is offline  
Last edited by elmo123546; January 6th, 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: mis-spelled words
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I need update!!!!!!

i need the update for android 2.2 for a next6 tablet
elmo123546 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,635
 
Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 290
Thanked 595 Times in 411 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo123546 View Post
i need the update for android 2.2 for a next6 tablet
You're asking the wrong people. This is a forum for the HTC Incredible, and unless somebody on here just happens to also has a Next Tablet you are probably not going to get any useful information here. Because different devices used different hardware that need different drivers, the android software has to be built specifically for that device (from the stock android software Google puts out). You're best bet to to find a forum somewhere specifically for nextbook devices (there isn't one on Android forums as far as I can tell). Failling that, I did stumble upon a couple of threads on XDA about your device. You could poke around there and see if that points you in the right direction.

In all honesty, you're probably SOL. Most budget android device makers don't have much of an incentive to update their devices, and few devs are going to devote much time bringing them up to date. You might luck out, you might not.

If anybody can provide more specific guidance please chime in.
euph_22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Droid Incredible
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When the HTC Droid Incredible launched in spring of 2010, it quickly became one of Verizon's hottest Android phones ever. Sporting many of the same features as its cousin, the Google-branded Nexus One, the Incredible features a 1GHz Snapdragon ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.