Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 100
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Zagg + Silicon case = destoried shield

Does anyone know if a better case or shield to make this combo work? I really like the silicon case but I need the screen to be protected. I tried the snap on case at verizon and they messed up the shield too. Should I try the back the full invisibleshield? Does anyone have pictures of the full shield?

Advertisements
crspyjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The steinheil screen protector at sgpstore.com (which will be out soon) is said to be a little bit smaller than the screen so that you're silicone case should fit, plus, many people are raving about them.
Stealth Droid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspyjohn View Post
Does anyone know if a better case or shield to make this combo work? I really like the silicon case but I need the screen to be protected. I tried the snap on case at verizon and they messed up the shield too. Should I try the back the full invisibleshield? Does anyone have pictures of the full shield?
How long did they wait after applying the Zagg shield before they put on the case? Zagg recomends letting the case sit without using the phone or putting on cases for 12-24 hours. The do this for a couple reasons.
First to let any application liquid that may have gone into the speaker grill or the trackpad dry. If the liquid hasn't dried/evaporated and you turn it on it could cause a short and damge the phone.
Second to let the adhesive that the application liquid activates to cure. Even if you work and work the shield with the included squeegee there will still be some moisture between the shield and the touchscreen. If you don't let the liquid/adhesive cure properly the shield will lift and you will have to reinstall it.
I learned this the hard way, on my second application I let it sit for 12 hours then GENTLY applied the case (black to red gradient snap case). If the silicon case you mentioned doesn't snap on but rather stretches around the edges of the phone, I'd recommend waiting the full 24 hours. That's my experience with Zagg shields. If you don't like the idea of waiting that long, you could try using one of the shields that doesn't require an application liquid (dry with an adhesive) but that will also probably require a curing time, though probably not as long as one with a liquid application process. Just my $.02
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 110
 
Device(s): HTC DROID ERIS, HTC DROID INCREDIBLE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspyjohn View Post
Does anyone know if a better case or shield to make this combo work? I really like the silicon case but I need the screen to be protected. I tried the snap on case at verizon and they messed up the shield too. Should I try the back the full invisibleshield? Does anyone have pictures of the full shield?

Zagg was never intended for touch screens it seems....especially not swype keyboards.
photographx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographx View Post
Zagg was never intended for touch screens it seems....especially not swype keyboards.
Actually after having it on for almost a week, the grabby feeling has mostly gone away. As for not being intended for touchscreens, they have a lot of products for them and a lot of people seem to like them. They may not be as highly regarded as Steinheill or Phantom Skins, but they have a lifetime warranty and by getting their's out first, I'll bet Zagg sold a ton of their shields. Even if the people decide they don't like them, Zagg already got their money. When I bought my extended battery, I bought a couple of Seido's screen protectors (2 were around half the price of a single Zagg), if they feel better I'll put them on, otherwise I'll keep them as backups.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 110
 
Device(s): HTC DROID ERIS, HTC DROID INCREDIBLE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
Actually after having it on for almost a week, the grabby feeling has mostly gone away. As for not being intended for touchscreens, they have a lot of products for them
It's the same exact product that was available before touch screens were available.

Joe Blow has a lot of used cars for sale, none of them are any good though...

After a week, it's still tacky? Nice.
photographx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographx View Post
It's the same exact product that was available before touch screens were available.

Joe Blow has a lot of used cars for sale, none of them are any good though...

After a week, it's still tacky? Nice.
So it was available before touchscreens were available, does that mean it won't work?

A lot of people have a lot of things for sale, some are good, some are bad, but from what I've seen on the forums I follow, quite a few have been buying the Zagg shield, that is what I based my statement on.

I said MOST of the grabby feeling has gone away. Personally it didn't hamper my ability to use the phone at all before but now I notice it getting more slippery the more I use it. So maybe after another week it will be just as slick as it would be without a shield.

I take it you don't like the Zagg screen, and that's fine, but have you actually used the Zagg screen for this phone. If not, you are going on second hand info. I was giving the OP my firsthand experience with this product.

If you still don't agree fine, but PM me if you're gonna keep this going so we don't hijack the OP's thread.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
DonDraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South
Posts: 226
 
Device(s): Droid Razr XT912
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspyjohn View Post
Does anyone know if a better case or shield to make this combo work? I really like the silicon case but I need the screen to be protected. I tried the snap on case at verizon and they messed up the shield too. Should I try the back the full invisibleshield? Does anyone have pictures of the full shield?
I had the same issue. We will just have to find the right case when more are available. Until now I'm caseless. Not too worried about it, my HTC Touch was used for 2 years without a case and it did fine. I'm holding out for the Seidio brand case when it arrives. I'm not giving up the Zagg shield.
__________________
HTC Eris, HTC Touch
DonDraper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Having the same problem myself, but I don't blame the awesome case, I blame the POS Zagg protector. Everyone who has tried my phone has commented how sticky and awful the screen feels. No one ever mentioned my Steinheil crystal on my Droid because you literally could not notice it was there. I'm confident the steinheil won't lift because it's not sticky at all, and (gasp!) actually sticks to the phone.
Zagg is the Monster Cable of screen protectors. All marketing (I only bought one because they were the only full screen protectors on launch day) and no product.
aesirx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 100
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
How long did they wait after applying the Zagg shield before they put on the case? Zagg recomends letting the case sit without using the phone or putting on cases for 12-24 hours. The do this for a couple reasons.
First to let any application liquid that may have gone into the speaker grill or the trackpad dry. If the liquid hasn't dried/evaporated and you turn it on it could cause a short and damge the phone.
Second to let the adhesive that the application liquid activates to cure. Even if you work and work the shield with the included squeegee there will still be some moisture between the shield and the touchscreen. If you don't let the liquid/adhesive cure properly the shield will lift and you will have to reinstall it.
I learned this the hard way, on my second application I let it sit for 12 hours then GENTLY applied the case (black to red gradient snap case). If the silicon case you mentioned doesn't snap on but rather stretches around the edges of the phone, I'd recommend waiting the full 24 hours. That's my experience with Zagg shields. If you don't like the idea of waiting that long, you could try using one of the shields that doesn't require an application liquid (dry with an adhesive) but that will also probably require a curing time, though probably not as long as one with a liquid application process. Just my $.02
I been installing invisibleshield type protectors for a few years now. I let it dry for 48 hours. You can turn on the phone after installing the shield, its not a problem unless you soak the phone in water. I use very very little water, and I let the phone sit for the longest time possible because I wanted the shield to be perfect.

I think I will either order the SGP or a full zagg body protector.
crspyjohn is offline  
Last edited by crspyjohn; May 8th, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,677
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (retired galaxy nexus, htc incredible)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 643
Thanked 841 Times in 516 Posts
Default

My Zagg shield is AWESOME!

Go to Best Buy and you can pay them 7.99 to do it for you - it looks perfect no bubbles.
jamor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 87
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Default

i got a zagg skin and verizon hard case on w/ no issues for a week+ now
b00sted4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I have the Zagg + Silicone case. I let it dry a full 24 hours before I put the case back on. Overall it's very good but the case did peel back the Zagg just a bit in the top/right corner of the phone. So far it's really not causing any issues. I may dump the silicone case anyways and just go with the Nexus pouch that people are ordering.
ffeingol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ithejdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible 2.3.4 Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted4fun View Post
i got a zagg skin and verizon hard case on w/ no issues for a week+ now
Same here. Zagg skin + red verizon hard case. Working great for me.
ithejdi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Peach State!
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible (Current) Motorola Droid (Had for 5 months)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

what's wrong with the screen protectors Verizon Wireless carries...that's what's on mine. And you can't even see it's there.
HTCIncredible is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
dibs ODDJOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 417
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 92
Thanked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCIncredible View Post
what's wrong with the screen protectors Verizon Wireless carries...that's what's on mine. And you can't even see it's there.
+1. I am using the VZW screen and much prefer it over my fiance's Zagg. Until the sgp comes out.
dibs ODDJOB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
amihererightnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 228
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 74
Thanked 89 Times in 40 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to amihererightnow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithejdi View Post
Same here. Zagg skin + red verizon hard case. Working great for me.
same here exact setup zaggs plus verizon red snap on cases.
have the same setup of both phones , works great.
__________________
If you're not from here, you're going to need this.

The Wicked Good Guide to boston english
http://www.universalhub.com/glossary/a-b
amihererightnow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 121
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

The phantom skinz screen protector works perfectly with the black verizon case. The protector is slightly smaller than the screen so the case comes up pretty much flush with the protector. It also works great with swype as it seems to be even less resistant than the screen itself
Dsoto87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dsoto87 For This Useful Post:
FierceDeityLink1 (May 8th, 2010)
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspyjohn View Post
I been installing invisibleshield type protectors for a few years now. I let it dry for 48 hours. You can turn on the phone after installing the shield, its not a problem unless you soak the phone in water. I use very very little water, and I let the phone sit for the longest time possible because I wanted the shield to be perfect.

I think I will either order the SGP or a full zagg body protector.
That's fine. When I responded you didn't say that you had installed shields like that before or how long you let it dry. I responded thinking that maybe this had been your first time installing as there are a lot of people on these boards who are in fact doing this for the first time. I apologize if I came off sounding condescending.
Perhaps the reason it didn't adhere as well is maybe you were using too little water. When I installed it I treated it like you would if you were installing window tint (soak the shield and then shake off any excess, apply and squeegee). You never said if the case you use snaps on or stretches around the phone. It is possible if it stretches around the phone that it will lift the shield no matter what unless the shield edge stops a little short of the edge of the screen like the phantom skinz mentioned above. Hope that helps.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 211
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I have a skinomi and then got a silicone case from Verizon. It started to peel the corners of the screen protector a little bit. I just made sure the corners were pressed down firmly and underneath where the cover comes over the screen. If you put the cover on carefully as to not lift the screen protector and make sure the edges of it sit over the screen protector you should be fine.
Brian_83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
DonDraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South
Posts: 226
 
Device(s): Droid Razr XT912
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDraper View Post
I had the same issue. We will just have to find the right case when more are available. Until now I'm caseless. Not too worried about it, my HTC Touch was used for 2 years without a case and it did fine. I'm holding out for the Seidio brand case when it arrives. I'm not giving up the Zagg shield.
Today I got a Verizon two-piece hard case (The red to black gradient one) and it seems like it will be no problem with the Zagg shield.
DonDraper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Droid Incredible
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When the HTC Droid Incredible launched in spring of 2010, it quickly became one of Verizon's hottest Android phones ever. Sporting many of the same features as its cousin, the Google-branded Nexus One, the Incredible features a 1GHz Snapdragon ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.