Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 3D

Like Tree5Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #501 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 836
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I dropped one of my Ebay batteries in water, but got it out within a couple seconds of doing so and dried it off with paper towels. Will it be OK to use after it completely dries out or should I just throw it away?

Advertisements
oOMavrikOo is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #502 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 845
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint, home of unlimited dialup

Thanks: 77
Thanked 295 Times in 218 Posts
Default

@oOMavrikOo, I would try it (but dry it out completely before trying it) - if you have access to a multimeter, check the voltage on the battery terminals before you put it in your phone. If it is 0v, I'd toss it away.
jj14x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #503 (permalink)
Member
 
ProfeZZor X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 267
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 99
Thanked 63 Times in 43 Posts
Default

One thing I've noticed about the Seidio 4000mah, is that it takes longer to charge than my stock battery did. For example, if I watch 5 to 10 minutes of footage from a film and immediately put it back on the charger, the time it takes for the 4000mah battery to charge is much longer than it is for the stock 1730mah battery. I wonder why that is... Not that i'm complaining, because I'm not, but it was just one of those observations I've made since I received the battery 7 case late last week.

I understand that the Seidio holds a higher capacity of energy, but in theory, if I'm using the same amount of energy to watch the same movie for the same period of time, either battery should equally charge for the same amount of time... Am I right? Or does it have more to do with the engineering or composition of the materials used in each battery.
ProfeZZor X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #504 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post
One thing I've noticed about the Seidio 4000mah, is that it takes longer to charge than my stock battery did. For example, if I watch 5 to 10 minutes of footage from a film and immediately put it back on the charger, the time it takes for the 4000mah battery to charge is much longer than it is for the stock 1730mah battery. I wonder why that is... Not that i'm complaining, because I'm not, but it was just one of those observations I've made since I received the battery 7 case late last week.

I understand that the Seidio holds a higher capacity of energy, but in theory, if I'm using the same amount of energy to watch the same movie for the same period of time, either battery should equally charge for the same amount of time... Am I right? Or does it have more to do with the engineering or composition of the materials used in each battery.
The stock battery charges at a higher input voltage than the Seidio does. In the battery charge/heat thread, the specifics are discussed. We initially thought it was a hardware flaw in a number of people's phones, but as it became more apparent that everyone had this design, we assumed HTC designed it that way.
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #505 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 82
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

running viper rom and following his quick tips on getting the most out of the stock battery, this thing lasts a full 14-15rs with HEAVY use.. thats games, ALOT of texting, tune in radio, internet browsing. last night i wanted to see how long i could run tune in radio so turned it on before i went to bed, volume a little less then half way, phone was at 58% and was still playing 8hrs later with about 9% battery left!
SUPERGALAXYS is offline  
Last edited by SUPERGALAXYS; August 11th, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #506 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 836
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I just got my 3500 mah battery from Hand Held Items. I'm gonna leave it on the charger overnight and use it very heavily tomorrow. I'm headed to the beach around 3 pm and will rely in GPS. I'll report back when I get a chance.
oOMavrikOo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #507 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 836
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOMavrikOo View Post
I just got my 3500 mah battery from Hand Held Items. I'm gonna leave it on the charger overnight and use it very heavily tomorrow. I'm headed to the beach around 3 pm and will rely in GPS. I'll report back when I get a chance.

Phone has been off the charger with light use for an hour and has dropped 12%. Is this normal for the first charge cycle?
oOMavrikOo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #508 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default Battery life still not great- Help please!

My battery life is still rather poor, and I am using all the tricks I know to help preserve battery life, such as:

Using the toggles on my home screen to easily turn on/off 4G, WIFI, 3G, GPS...and leaving them all off except when I'm using them. I also use WIFI and turn the 3G off when WIFI is available.

Turned background updates for apps off, so apps can't connect whenever they want.

Turned "automatic brightness" off...instead I use the power bar brightness thing on level 2 of 3. I think you guys know what I'm talking about.

Set email to sync every 4 hours. I need my email, this is the longest I can go without gettign email.

Anyone got any other tips?
MikeCzipri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #509 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 391
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I turn off the back up apps to the google server. There are two check boxes in security. That way you aren't uploading data to google at times.

I also turn off check for updates. I don't know what the poll interval is, but I turn it off regardless.

I turn of "enable always on mobile networks" in the wireless and networks/mobile networks section in setup.

Make sure that stocks and news aren't synching regularly.

I remove the sense clock widget then re-add it and turn off the animation on boot so I don't have to wait or use cpu cycles every time I wake the phone.

Make your lockscreen your wallpaper rather than animated weather.
kenn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #510 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 82
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

as far as extended batteries go, which of the 3500 or 4000 options could add the least thickness, or are most aesthetically pleasing? i like the idea of an extended battery so that i can do whatever i want on my phone without having to fear the battery dying right away, but i dont love the idea of carrying a brick around. any ideas?
TheFrigz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #511 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrigz View Post
as far as extended batteries go, which of the 3500 or 4000 options could add the least thickness, or are most aesthetically pleasing? i like the idea of an extended battery so that i can do whatever i want on my phone without having to fear the battery dying right away, but i dont love the idea of carrying a brick around. any ideas?
I have the Seidio 4000mah and it's a little big, but not big enough that it's uncomfortable or anything. Very much worth it to me.
__________________
TechBringer.tumblr.com
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #512 (permalink)
Member
 
JD_from_da_80s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 40 46' 0.8" N 73 59' 14.8" W
Posts: 203
 
Device(s): Rooted White LG G2
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 89
Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Default Is my battery screwy or am I paranoid?

First, let my apologize for the long post, I use to be a writer & I like detail, my bad. You can skip to the 3rd paragraph if you don't care about me & my phone's day

Ok so my battery's average imo but I use my phone a lot. Going to work, I'm playing Fruit Ninja, Homerun Durby, Backbreaker, Deathworm, Supersonic, Basketball Shot or Grave Defense, I read the papers, take vids/pics if I see something worthwhile, you get the picture. At 7:45 I'm at 100% & out the door. I’m not surprised if I'm at 60% when I get to work at 9:30. I'm at my desk all day, charger is there, phone goes on the charger & stays there while I watch ESPN, YouTube, 4G, whatever, got my charger. I leave work, phone is at 100% same routine as when I left home. This is daily. When I’m not on my charger, very conservative, 3G only on when the screen is on, no 4G, no auto updates

Today, program was a lil different, charged my phone through my PC instead of wall (thought I was gonna change my rom,) got to 93%. On my way to work, played FRG deluxe (good game, check it out) played with Folder Organizer a lot. On my way to work, I notice my battery is dropping fast. I’m thinking maybe it’s because I charged through the PC but a charge is a charge right?

At 10am, it was at about 60% according to System Monitor. No charger (co worker borrows it then magically disappeared) so no ESPN or Words with Friends, but a lil FB & I manually updated my Friends widget at around 10:30 on 3G. Seemed to get "stuck", ate 6% of my battery in less than 2 minutes. I removed the widget to stop it & rebooted my phone.

My girl texted me at 12:12 (handcent) & I notice I'm at 37%, 15 min later & 9 text messages, I'm at 20%. Now granted, amazingly, at 1:31, I'm still at 20% (battery saver kicks in at 15%) but wtf? I have good signal at work, usually around -77 dBm, so I don't think it's struggling for a signal.

Shots below were taken at 20%, which seems worthless since my battery was "stable" 20% but whatever, you never know…Maybe someone will see something funny I didn’t notice.


Notice the drop between 12:00 & 12:30? I’d say around the time it went from light brown to whatever that other color is, is when my girl texted me. The usage & CPU concern me because all I was doing was texting.


Didn’t take a pic because of the lower MHz’s because they had the highest percentage with deep sleep being the highest. Thought that was normal.

I took pics of battery usage but deleted them by mistake. FWIW display (high 60s), Standby, Idle, Folder Organizer & 2 Androids (OS I think & something else) were listed & seemed normal.

So let me run down my stats, rooted, Launcher Pro, Viper rom, no kernel, no setcpu. I calibrated the battery a couple of times through the app & wiped the battery stats once way before I got the calibrated app.

And one more thing while we're on the subject. I've read that wifi kills less battery than 3G but this "law" doesn't apply in my house. My wifi eats my battery like Scooby Doo eats Scooby Snacks. I don’t even use my phone in my house & battery life is horrible most nights. Also, less than 2 weeks ago, I once got 19 hrs & still had 30% since I rooted. Did nothing on the phone but it still happened. Then I get days like today.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

PS, 8+ hrs before the battery finally died.
JD_from_da_80s is offline  
Last edited by JD_from_da_80s; August 23rd, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #513 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i have a quick question.. my battery seems to last a good amount on moderate use (prolly 14-24 hours iirc).. i dont usually talk on the phone very often, but today i did for an hour and noticed my battery drained 40%.. is that normal or is there somethin goin on that shouldnt be? the display wasnt on while i was talking. it just seems like an abnormally high percentage to drop just for phone talk.. but again, since i rarely talk on the phone it might be normal for all i know..

was just curious.. any info is appreciated
Pecosb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #514 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 82
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Just wondering, what are all the factors that go into the "display"? Is it just brightness? I've just noticed that a lot of my battery usage is from display, like the vast majority, I've been using auto brightness... Is this not the best option? Are there other things I should change?
TheFrigz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #515 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecosb View Post
i have a quick question.. my battery seems to last a good amount on moderate use (prolly 14-24 hours iirc).. i dont usually talk on the phone very often, but today i did for an hour and noticed my battery drained 40%.. is that normal or is there somethin goin on that shouldnt be? the display wasnt on while i was talking. it just seems like an abnormally high percentage to drop just for phone talk.. but again, since i rarely talk on the phone it might be normal for all i know..

was just curious.. any info is appreciated
I wouldn't think 40% was normal, but I don't talk on the phone much either, so I couldn't say for sure.
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #516 (permalink)
Member
 
toddpedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4GLTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I have always understood that auto brightness is bad for battery life. The constant bright to dim and dim to bright etc., that takes place as the phone adjusts to the light conditions, reduces the battery life.

I have been using a freeware program called Brightness Level. I put the app on my home screen for quick access. It has pre set 0%, 25% 50%, 75%, 100% buttons. I typically run at 25% but in outside conditions I bump it up to 75 or 100%.





Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrigz View Post
Just wondering, what are all the factors that go into the "display"? Is it just brightness? I've just noticed that a lot of my battery usage is from display, like the vast majority, I've been using auto brightness... Is this not the best option? Are there other things I should change?
__________________
Carrier: Sprint PCS | Equipment: HTC EVO 4G LTE
toddpedersen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #517 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 845
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint, home of unlimited dialup

Thanks: 77
Thanked 295 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
I have always understood that auto brightness is bad for battery life. The constant bright to dim and dim to bright etc., that takes place as the phone adjusts to the light conditions, reduces the battery life.

I have been using a freeware program called Brightness Level. I put the app on my home screen for quick access. It has pre set 0%, 25% 50%, 75%, 100% buttons. I typically run at 25% but in outside conditions I bump it up to 75 or 100%.
I think the stock HTC widget offers something similar. While it doesn't have a preset for 0%, it does allow you to toggle between 3 different brightness levels (low, med, high) - I don't know what the percentages are.
I have that on my homescreen. Indoors, I keep the brightness level really low (less than 20%). If I step outside and can't see the screen well enough, I tap the widget till it gets to the necessary level.
jj14x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #518 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
I think the stock HTC widget offers something similar. While it doesn't have a preset for 0%, it does allow you to toggle between 3 different brightness levels (low, med, high) - I don't know what the percentages are.
I have that on my homescreen. Indoors, I keep the brightness level really low (less than 20%). If I step outside and can't see the screen well enough, I tap the widget till it gets to the necessary level.
The HTC widget does 33%, 66%, and 100%. I usually keep my brightness at 25% or lower, so the HTC widget is worthless for me. Might be worth while for someone else, though.
jerofld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #519 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rose4uKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,111
 
Device(s): Had the EVO4G the EVO 3D and now the EVO4G LTE!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 438
Thanked 181 Times in 147 Posts
Default

So when it says the display is taking up so much % of your battery is that from the brightness? And the hTC widget your talking about is that the power control one with 4 icons on it. Cause I didn't have room for it so I got the brightness level widget someone was talking about and mine is now set to 25% for the time being so will that help on my battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
The HTC widget does 33%, 66%, and 100%. I usually keep my brightness at 25% or lower, so the HTC widget is worthless for me. Might be worth while for someone else, though.
Rose4uKy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #520 (permalink)
Member
 
toddpedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4GLTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Default

In my opinion yes. If you put your brightness to zero, then power it off and fully charge your phone with the power off until the LED is green. Unplug it from the charger and power it on, and then immediately go to Settings, About Phone, Battery and then Battery Use. You will most likely see that Display is at the top of the list in the 75% range and if you do the same thing but instead, move your brightness to 100% prior to the power down before charging it to LED Green and repeated the above, you will find a similar number. It is over time, that the brighter you keep the phone, the more battery draw will occur for the display percentage. Then as you keep the phone off over night etc, your percentage for display use will drop because it is not being used as much.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKy View Post
So when it says the display is taking up so much % of your battery is that from the brightness? And the hTC widget your talking about is that the power control one with 4 icons on it. Cause I didn't have room for it so I got the brightness level widget someone was talking about and mine is now set to 25% for the time being so will that help on my battery?
toddpedersen is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toddpedersen For This Useful Post:
Rose4uKy (August 29th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #521 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rose4uKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,111
 
Device(s): Had the EVO4G the EVO 3D and now the EVO4G LTE!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 438
Thanked 181 Times in 147 Posts
Default

I don't turn my phone off but my display % is always high and using the most percentage. It's always in the 80's. But someone posted a screen shot and there rooted and I'm not but there's said 46% and said there phone was on 1day and 22 hours but that was with and extended battery. But also when my phone is just sittting here on my desk or on my dock at night I have it set for the screen to stay on but that's when it's plugged in. Is that bad for the phone?

I was just having battery problems with these cheap generic ebay ones and 2 out of 3 wouldn't turn on my phone and I thought they were full but yesterday they showed dead and I fully charged one and it worked and fully charged the other and need to try it now. I was all set to buy these other chichitec batteries yesterday and decided to try my generic ones one more time. So now there all full and I'll see how they hold up. Either they were fyll and drained or oneof my wall chargers said it was full but they really weren't I don't know. Or I could of just been mistaken and thought they were full and they weren't. I'll test them out this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
In my opinion yes. If you put your brightness to zero, then power it off and fully charge your phone with the power off until the LED is green. Unplug it from the charger and power it on, and then immediately go to Settings, About Phone, Battery and then Battery Use. You will most likely see that Display is at the top of the list in the 75% range and if you do the same thing but instead, move your brightness to 100% prior to the power down before charging it to LED Green and repeated the above, you will find a similar number. It is over time, that the brighter you keep the phone, the more battery draw will occur for the display percentage. Then as you keep the phone off over night etc, your percentage for display use will drop because it is not being used as much.
Rose4uKy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #522 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 203
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I tried the Seidio 4000mah battery and had problems with it. The custom cover does not fit the phone well, it makes it very difficult to manipulate the power button (it's a real pain to wake up). More troubling, it's almost impossible to pry the cover off once it's on...I had to use a coin and it marred the finish on my phone. Before you tell me I should have used a plastic fork or something, I tried and it broke! Finally, the battery tends to overheat drastically...it drove the phone to temps of 114 degrees before it went into a boot cycle (which is why I had to do the emergency battery pull in the first place). I've used the Seidio extended battery for the EVO 4G without problems, it's possible I pulled a dud.

I was thinking about ordering the Seidio 1900mah battery as a spare...same form factor as stock. Any feedback on this? There aren't any reviews on Amazon.
Roymus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #523 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mak916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,136
 
Device(s): GS3, Photon 4G, 3VO(WiFi ONLY), Nexus 7
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 220
Thanked 271 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKy View Post
I don't turn my phone off but my display % is always high and using the most percentage. It's always in the 80's. But someone posted a screen shot and there rooted and I'm not but there's said 46% and said there phone was on 1day and 22 hours but that was with and extended battery. But also when my phone is just sittting here on my desk or on my dock at night I have it set for the screen to stay on but that's when it's plugged in. Is that bad for the phone?

I was just having battery problems with these cheap generic ebay ones and 2 out of 3 wouldn't turn on my phone and I thought they were full but yesterday they showed dead and I fully charged one and it worked and fully charged the other and need to try it now. I was all set to buy these other chichitec batteries yesterday and decided to try my generic ones one more time. So now there all full and I'll see how they hold up. Either they were fyll and drained or oneof my wall chargers said it was full but they really weren't I don't know. Or I could of just been mistaken and thought they were full and they weren't. I'll test them out this week.
Did you get your wall charger from Ebay? Chances are, if you did, its not fully charging. I have 3 wall chargers from Ebay, and none of them fully charge. What makes matters worse is that most of those generic batteries are not 1730mah. Most are 1300mah or under. I'm not speaking of the extended batteries off Ebay. But most likely the extended generic batteries are not as good as well. So for me I am waiting for the stock battery prices to go down then buy one of them. I just don't trust the Ebay ones anymore.
mak916 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #524 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rose4uKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,111
 
Device(s): Had the EVO4G the EVO 3D and now the EVO4G LTE!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 438
Thanked 181 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Yeah I got them off ebay. Are all wall charger the same no matter who you order them from? Cause the chichitec batteries come with a wall charger and I was wondering if it would be different. But for now I have 2 generics that work and my phone came on. I haven't tried the 3rd one yet. I keep the HTC One in my phone as much as I can though. The sprint store said the repair people have some refurb HTC batteries for the 3D and they were going to give me one but they didn't have any more right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak916 View Post
Did you get your wall charger from Ebay? Chances are, if you did, its not fully charging. I have 3 wall chargers from Ebay, and none of them fully charge. What makes matters worse is that most of those generic batteries are not 1730mah. Most are 1300mah or under. I'm not speaking of the extended batteries off Ebay. But most likely the extended generic batteries are not as good as well. So for me I am waiting for the stock battery prices to go down then buy one of them. I just don't trust the Ebay ones anymore.
Rose4uKy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #525 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mak916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,136
 
Device(s): GS3, Photon 4G, 3VO(WiFi ONLY), Nexus 7
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 220
Thanked 271 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKy View Post
Yeah I got them off ebay. Are all wall charger the same no matter who you order them from? Cause the chichitec batteries come with a wall charger and I was wondering if it would be different. But for now I have 2 generics that work and my phone came on. I haven't tried the 3rd one yet. I keep the HTC One in my phone as much as I can though. The sprint store said the repair people have some refurb HTC batteries for the 3D and they were going to give me one but they didn't have any more right now.
I don't know if all the wall chargers are the same. I have been wondering that myself. I really want to get one that works well. I ordered a desk top cradle. I'm hoping that will work good when I get it. Think I might check out the Gorilla Gadgets extended battery.
mak916 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #526 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 105
 
Device(s): EVO 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quality of the phone signal has a LOT to do with the overall battery life. My office at work is in the basement level of a hotel, and the phone is constantly roaming. I'm lucky to get 10 hours of life, and my "time without signal" is usually somewhere in the 90% range.

That being said, when I have a day off, and have normal signal reception, my battery life is phenomenal. I can easily get 20+ hours with moderate use.

I have stock Sense, Juice Defender Ultimate controlling my WiFi and 3G, Bluetooth, GPS, and 4G off (unless in a car and driving (for BT/GPS)), and I usually have the brightness set to around 10%. All my accounts are set to update once a day, and I have the Mobile Network automatically turn off whenever WiFi is on, and also whenever the screen is off (WiFi stays on when the screen is off, if within range of one of my networks). Even with the Mobile Network off, Gmail still pushes.

The widget I use for brightness is called "Auto Brightness". It's not the most sightly of widgets (a yellow light bulb), but it does exactly what I want it to--Auto Brightness when activated, and my default brightness (10%) when deactivated. Anything involving sunlight gets auto brightness, everything else doesn't. 10% is the sweet spot for me, as 0% is too dark, and 20% and up is unnecessary with indoor lighting.

I use the live wallpaper "Light Grid", and heavily rely on Folder Organizer.

Once the battery breaks in, it's fantastic.
Emblazon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM   #527 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 82
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

My battery was having no issues. Then last night I went to bed with it at 61 and woke up and it wouldn't turn on because it had died. Wtf? Edit maybe it's relevant that i just moved in to my new dorm with terrible cell service. Is it really possible to go from 61 to 0 overnight on 3g just doing nothing because of a bad signal in about 10 hours?
TheFrigz is offline  
Last edited by TheFrigz; August 31st, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #528 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How long does your standard battery for Evo 3D last?

I'm beginning to think my 3VO is a bad Apple. I charged it all night, its been 5 hours, been watching tv and moderately using it, some texts, some surfing the internet, couple phone calls, about 20 minutes of talk time , and my battery is on red. 10 percent left.

Been bad. Gets to red battery quick.

How long do yours last?
Crackhead Ted is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #529 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 836
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

If I did all you just said, then my battery would be right there with yours. It also depends on your settings, how you manage your syncing, how you control data connectivity, yada yada yada...
oOMavrikOo is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oOMavrikOo For This Useful Post:
marctronixx (September 4th, 2011)
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #530 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 77
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Yep, thats why I have the Gorillagadgets 3400mha battery and love that I can have autobrightness on, listen to pandora, do anything I want in a day's time.
jlear3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #531 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mak916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,136
 
Device(s): GS3, Photon 4G, 3VO(WiFi ONLY), Nexus 7
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 220
Thanked 271 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlear3 View Post
Yep, thats why I have the Gorillagadgets 3400mha battery and love that I can have autobrightness on, listen to pandora, do anything I want in a day's time.
I'm really thinking of getting the Gorilla Gadgets battery. It seems to be good for the price.
mak916 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #532 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 162
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Default

If you want to use the phone like it should be used...Get the Gorilla Battery or the Seidio...I have the 4000 Seidio myself and recharge every two days...No Extra Batteries no Chargers to carry around...

As far as batteries from Ebay...Its hit or miss...But most of the cheap stuff on there...(There are no deals...you get what you pay for...)...Most of the times the batteries are not what they are really listed as...Seidio has never gave me a problem...

With Ultimate Juice installed you can run the hell out of this Phone...
Ronny71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #533 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Battery life

hi guys im new to here, my evo 3d battery is decreasing arround 1% in 3 to 5min.. is this normal?? i know this phone is a mini computer, a dual core processor.. is anyone facing the same problem or my battery has a problem and need to be fixed?
solomember is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #534 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wake69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,808
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 98
Thanked 516 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Fully charge, put in airplane mode for a few hrs and see if it still depleted as much. May be an app. My battery wasn't that bad before root
__________________
Phone: HTC One M8
Root Method: Not Yet
wake69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #535 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny71 View Post
If you want to use the phone like it should be used...Get the Gorilla Battery or the Seidio...I have the 4000 Seidio myself and recharge every two days...No Extra Batteries no Chargers to carry around...
FYI I read that it's healthier for these batteries to charge more often even if you still have plenty left. I know i have like 70% or more most nights but still charge it anyways cause that's better for the battery in the long run.
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #536 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,270 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
FYI I read that it's healthier for these batteries to charge more often even if you still have plenty left. I know i have like 70% or more most nights but still charge it anyways cause that's better for the battery in the long run.
Won't make much difference. The only major factor affecting the longevity of your battery is heat exposure. Less is better. That said, there's absolutely no harm in charging all the time, regardless of the charge level.
__________________

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Help me out: Sign up with Dropbox and we both get 500MB extra space. Thanks!
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #537 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

What I read with about Lithium Ion batteries is that it's not as healthy to discharge the battery every time rather than just charge it when you can.
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #538 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

to all of you having issues with your battery life, root your phone and get on the Myns twopointthree rom and run Ziggy's kernel. This thing is amazing! I can easily run 12 hours with moderate to somewhat heavy usage.
asiangolfer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #539 (permalink)
Member
 
toddpedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4GLTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Sorry to say, but you don't have to root to better your battery life to 12 hours. I am getting 24, 36, 48 hours with moderate usage on my stock EVO 3D with all the latest updates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asiangolfer View Post
to all of you having issues with your battery life, root your phone and get on the Myns twopointthree rom and run Ziggy's kernel. This thing is amazing! I can easily run 12 hours with moderate to somewhat heavy usage.
toddpedersen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #540 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
Sorry to say, but you don't have to root to better your battery life to 12 hours. I am getting 24, 36, 48 hours with moderate usage on my stock EVO 3D with all the latest updates.
i haven't turned back once i rooted, but nice to know.
asiangolfer is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #541 (permalink)
Fixing stuff is not easy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Over there <points>
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,690
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,117
Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
What I read with about Lithium Ion batteries is that it's not as healthy to discharge the battery every time rather than just charge it when you can.
Most, if not all, modern Li Ion batteries have voltage monitoring circuits that will shut off the battery if you drain it to a certain threshold. That threshold, unless the engineer has gone insane, is above the voltage level where plating occurs.

So yes, if you took a plain ol' Li Ion cell and drained it to near 0 capacity (IIRC, below 2.3v), then yes, you could damage the cell. Plating could occur, reducing the capacity and increasing the chance of an 'event', gasses could be released that cause the battery to be puffy and more at risk of an 'event', or a mix of everything.

But no reputable company sells Li Ion batteries without control circuits that prevent you from discharging the cell too low. So if you drain your battery until Android the unit down or the battery control circuit just shuts off power, the battery will still have a bit of juice left in it, but the control circuit won't let you use it.
jerofld is offline  
Last edited by jerofld; October 12th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #542 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
Most, if not all, modern Li Ion batteries have voltage monitoring circuits that will shut off the battery if you drain it to a certain threshold. That threshold, unless the engineer has gone insane, is above the voltage level where plating occurs.

So yes, if you took a plain ol' Li Ion cell and drained it to near 0 capacity (IIRC, below 2.3v), then yes, you could damage the cell. Plating could occur, reducing the capacity and increasing the chance of an 'event', gasses could be released that cause the battery to be puffy and more at risk of an 'event', or a mix of everything.

But no reputable company sells Li Ion batteries without control circuits that prevent you from discharging the cell too low. So if you drain your battery until Android the unit down or the battery control circuit just shuts off power, the battery will still have a bit of juice left in it, but the control circuit won't let you use it.
Thanks for the heads up dude!

JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM   #543 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): EVO 3D - FreEvo (current) - Senseless - Supra - Viper
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGALAXYS View Post
running viper rom and following his quick tips on getting the most out of the stock battery, this thing lasts a full 14-15rs with HEAVY use.. thats games, ALOT of texting, tune in radio, internet browsing. last night i wanted to see how long i could run tune in radio so turned it on before i went to bed, volume a little less then half way, phone was at 58% and was still playing 8hrs later with about 9% battery left!
Super,

I would love to know some of the tips and tricks you're using to extend battery life. I'm getting nowhere close to 14-15 hours of battery with light to moderate use.

I'm not kno on Viper. I run Miui Rom with ti ex kernel.

Would like to see if your tips could work for me.

G
grepper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #544 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

anyone try this? 2x 3500mah For HTC EVO 3D New Extended Battery Black Wall Charger + Cover Sprint | eBay
93hostang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #545 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 105
 
Device(s): EVO 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
Sorry to say, but you don't have to root to better your battery life to 12 hours. I am getting 24, 36, 48 hours with moderate usage on my stock EVO 3D with all the latest updates.

I call Shenanigans.
Emblazon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #546 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
 
Device(s): Sprint HTC EVO 4G Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 39 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emblazon View Post
I call Shenanigans.
Why? The problem is the definition of "Moderate use." I have gotten over 24 hours of battery life when at home on the weekend. Definition:

1) WiFi for all data
2) Read email on four different email accounts (email is light on weekends.. maybe 40 messages per day).
3) Update twitter every 15 minutes (again, I follow accounts that have light updates on weekends.. maybe a dozen per day)
4) A bit of web browsing/searching (maybe an hour, per 24 hours)
5) No gaming
6) no photos
7) no watching or taking of videos.
8) no facebook
9) no other social networking
10) no music playing

So do you think this is low or moderate usage?

The point is, you can get 24+ hours of battery life. If your usage pattern includes streaming video, using the camera a lot, playing action games, using your data connection over 3G/4G for hours a day (especially over a connection with only a couple - or less - bars) then you will not see 24 hours (maybe four!).
dzar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #547 (permalink)
Member
 
toddpedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4GLTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Sorry you feel that way. Attached is my last two days of use. 32 hours and counting.

You can tell from the flat line graph when my phone was on but not in use while I was sleeping at night, and with moderate use I am at 32 hours plus.

Sorry your not doing as well.

EDIT: Added "Most" of the program use info screen shot. There were two other programs towards the bottom of the list that I would have had to do a third screeshot for.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Emblazon View Post
I call Shenanigans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evo 3D Battery Use Screen Shot.jpg (39.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Evo 3D Program Use.jpg (56.6 KB, 15 views)
toddpedersen is offline  
Last edited by toddpedersen; November 7th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #548 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

So I've had the seidio 4000 battery for while now, thought I'd post what I'm getting with moderate usage. Please note that the battery was at 33% when these screenshots were taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-11-11_16-53-45.jpg (75.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-11-11_16-54-07.jpg (74.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-11-11_16-54-12.jpg (61.6 KB, 14 views)
akasan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM   #549 (permalink)
Member
 
Tyler Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
 
Device(s): iPhone 5 & Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 8
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyler Perez TylerDPerez
Default

cool.
Tyler Perez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM   #550 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 48
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default


Really?! No one?
93hostang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC EVO 3D
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Sprint continues their EVO line of Android Phones with what is certainly a first for them - a 3D phone. The HTC EVO 3D boasts 3D technology on a beautiful 4.3-inch screen and get this: you don't even need glasses to enjoy the 3D experience! B... Read More

Tags
battery, battery radio 3g 4g gps roaming, evo, evo 3d, problem


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 3D
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.