Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Evo 4G LTE

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NeoteriX
  • 1 Post By Fubie
  • 1 Post By PattiCakeUS
  • 1 Post By PyroSporker

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
hilker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Crozet, VA
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): HTC One, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Default What messaging app are you using?

With my previous EVO's, I always used Handcent SMS instead of the stick messaging app. I loved the flexibility it gave me, and it was nice to be able to filter out all numbers except mobile.

However, I've looked at the comments for Handcent, and it appears they're having some issues with this phone. GO SMS seems to be having similar issues. I know that Handcent is usually pretty quick to fix these sort of issues, but in the meantime is anyone using a third party messaging app that's working for them? Thanks!

hilker09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
suprmallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 110
Thanked 311 Times in 145 Posts
Default

I use Google Voice, only use regular text messages when people want to send me photos.
__________________
Part time human. Full time adventurer.
suprmallet is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suprmallet For This Useful Post:
hilker09 (May 31st, 2012)
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 215
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, LTEvo(retired), Evo 4G(retired), Hero(retired), TouchPro 2(retired), Motorola RAZR(retire
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 139
Thanked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilker09 View Post
With my previous EVO's, I always used Handcent SMS instead of the stick messaging app. I loved the flexibility it gave me, and it was nice to be able to filter out all numbers except mobile.

However, I've looked at the comments for Handcent, and it appears they're having some issues with this phone. GO SMS seems to be having similar issues. I know that Handcent is usually pretty quick to fix these sort of issues, but in the meantime is anyone using a third party messaging app that's working for them? Thanks!
Not sure if it's available for the LTEvo but I've always used Chomp on my OGEVO and it's never had much in the way of issues.
ZepTepi is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZepTepi For This Useful Post:
hilker09 (May 31st, 2012)
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 905
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 178
Thanked 735 Times in 330 Posts
Default

I have previously been a fan of GO SMS (Handcent is too bloated and not as fast in my experience), but neither are Android ICS 4.0 design compliant, which means they have the three dots on the bottom.

The stock messaging app doesn't. I've been alternating on the LTEvo between stock and GO SMS, and frankly, the stock one isn't all that bad....
Mdraej99 likes this.
NeoteriX is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeoteriX For This Useful Post:
hilker09 (May 31st, 2012)
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
PattiCakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
 
Device(s): LG G2, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,795
Thanked 227 Times in 141 Posts
Send a message via MSN to PattiCakeUS
Default

I've used Handcent for years and haven't been having any problems at all using it with this phone.
__________________
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
-The Dalai Lama
PattiCakeUS is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PattiCakeUS For This Useful Post:
hilker09 (May 31st, 2012)
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Fubie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Denial
Posts: 141
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 92
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Default

GoSMS Pro for me. I started with Handceent but dropped it last year.
Mdraej99 likes this.
__________________
Fubie
EVO 4G LTE rooted! S-OFF w/Lazy Panda | Nexus 7
[EVO 4G | EVO 3D | EVO 4G | Hero] - All rooted
Fubie is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fubie For This Useful Post:
hilker09 (May 31st, 2012)
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
hilker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Crozet, VA
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): HTC One, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoteriX View Post
...but neither are Android ICS 4.0 design compliant, which means they have the three dots on the bottom.
I didn't know that. I'd wondered why some apps had the menu button taking up so much real estate on the bottom of the screen.
hilker09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
PattiCakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
 
Device(s): LG G2, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,795
Thanked 227 Times in 141 Posts
Send a message via MSN to PattiCakeUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilker09 View Post
With my previous EVO's, I always used Handcent SMS instead of the stick messaging app. I loved the flexibility it gave me, and it was nice to be able to filter out all numbers except mobile.

However, I've looked at the comments for Handcent, and it appears they're having some issues with this phone.
I'm replying to the same message a 2nd time - the bit about Handcent and comments about "issues" intrigued me so I spent a little time testing to see if there was something going on I wasn't aware of. It seems my phone isn't vibrating on incoming texts using Handcent when my sounds are off... I've been stuck in the basement at work all week with no reception so have to keep my phone off due to no signal - but at my regular desk I rely on vibrations to let me know if I get an incoming text. I wonder if this vibration thing is an "issue" that others have been having with Handcent?
PattiCakeUS is offline  
Last edited by PattiCakeUS; May 31st, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BigCiX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 3,457
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: at&t

Thanks: 39
Thanked 341 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Go SMS with Ice Cream Sandwich theme enabled
__________________
I hate pg&e!!!!
BigCiX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): LTEVO, EVO 4G (Wifey's), Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 171
Thanked 117 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Handcent here with LTEVO and no issues
3volut1on is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): LTEVO, EVO 4G (Wifey's), Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 171
Thanked 117 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiCakeUS View Post
I'm replying to the same message a 2nd time - the bit about Handcent and comments about "issues" intrigued me so I spent a little time testing to see if there was something going on I wasn't aware of. It seems my phone isn't vibrating on incoming texts using Handcent when my sounds are off... I've been stuck in the basement at work all week with no reception so have to keep my phone off due to no signal - but at my regular desk I rely on vibrations to let me know if I get an incoming text. I wonder if this vibration thing is an "issue" that others have been having with Handcent?
Mine is vibrating just fine with the ringer set to "Vibrate".
3volut1on is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
PattiCakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
 
Device(s): LG G2, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,795
Thanked 227 Times in 141 Posts
Send a message via MSN to PattiCakeUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3volut1on View Post
Mine is vibrating just fine with the ringer set to "Vibrate".
When I tested it a few minutes ago, it vibrated when I had sounds on but not when I turned sounds off. Hmm.... I'll check my settings again. I've looked at overall phone notification settings, Handcent settings and the native messaging app settings. Maybe I accidentally messed something up... wouldn't surprise me
PattiCakeUS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
PattiCakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
 
Device(s): LG G2, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,795
Thanked 227 Times in 141 Posts
Send a message via MSN to PattiCakeUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiCakeUS View Post
When I tested it a few minutes ago, it vibrated when I had sounds on but not when I turned sounds off. Hmm.... I'll check my settings again. I've looked at overall phone notification settings, Handcent settings and the native messaging app settings. Maybe I accidentally messed something up... wouldn't surprise me
I figured out the problem. When I turn my sounds off using the Mute. app (by MNO Company) - I get no vibrations. But if I use the volume button and turn sounds down all the way to no sound, I get vibration. Now that I found that out I see it's also been reported in at least one review so I guess I won't be using that app anymore!
3volut1on likes this.
PattiCakeUS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 105
 
Device(s): Formerly Treo, formerly Treo Pro, Currently HTC EVO!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Default Advantages?

What are the advantages or features that the 3rd party apps have over the stock SMS program?
Kevin C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): LTEVO, EVO 4G (Wifey's), Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 171
Thanked 117 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiCakeUS View Post
I figured out the problem. When I turn my sounds off using the Mute. app (by MNO Company) - I get no vibrations. But if I use the volume button and turn sounds down all the way to no sound, I get vibration. Now that I found that out I see it's also been reported in at least one review so I guess I won't be using that app anymore!
Yup, Mute's doing it's job by killing notifications
3volut1on is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): LTEVO, EVO 4G (Wifey's), Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 171
Thanked 117 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
What are the advantages or features that the 3rd party apps have over the stock SMS program?
The 3rd party apps offer a ton of customizable options over the stocker. Different message styles, fonts, colors, emoticons, etc...
3volut1on is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 905
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 178
Thanked 735 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilker09 View Post
I didn't know that. I'd wondered why some apps had the menu button taking up so much real estate on the bottom of the screen.
ICS Design Compliant Apps (No Dots Menu at Bottom)

Test out apps and help contribute to the knowledge base!
NeoteriX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 321
 
Device(s): Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 98
Thanked 185 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Stock SMS for me. No issues.
some.devil is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to some.devil For This Useful Post:
marctronixx (June 26th, 2012)
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KoukiFC3S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 881
 
Device(s): Incredible 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 139
Thanked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Has anyone tried chompsms?

I'm still using stock, but chomp was working great on my previous phones.
KoukiFC3S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): OG Evo Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 124 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post
I use Google Voice, only use regular text messages when people want to send me photos.
I am going to start using G voice full time as my messaging app. Handcent is just too bloated(nice but I don't need all those features). MY question is if I set Gvoice to receive texts and turn off notifications in stock app but set MMS to auto retrieve will it give me a notification when picture mail comes through or will I have to check manually?
hsh.shawn is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 905
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 178
Thanked 735 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsh.shawn View Post
I am going to start using G voice full time as my messaging app. Handcent is just too bloated(nice but I don't need all those features). MY question is if I set Gvoice to receive texts and turn off notifications in stock app but set MMS to auto retrieve will it give me a notification when picture mail comes through or will I have to check manually?
...I haven't switched to fulltime Google Voice for this reason.

You will never know that you received an MMS. Nothing gets received, no notification exists.

Just MMS your Gvoice number and find out.
NeoteriX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Doomstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 474
 
Device(s): Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 88
Thanked 255 Times in 145 Posts
Default

I ported my number to Google Voice and have used that as my primary messenger app for some time. I also have Handcent setup in the background that snags any MMS messages sent my way.
Summary: 1 number, GVoice for all text, Handcent for MMS
Doomstang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): OG Evo Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 124 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoteriX View Post
...I haven't switched to fulltime Google Voice for this reason.

You will never know that you received an MMS. Nothing gets received, no notification exists.

Just MMS your Gvoice number and find out.
Hmm yea that is a deal breaker for me I messaged myself a picture and obviously nothing in g voice but with stock turned off I will never know they came through.

Anyone gone fulltime to G voice have a fix for this without dual notifications?

Side note really Google still no MMS support? I laughed at iphone users who didnt have MMS for 2 years but your service is approaching that 2 year mark quickly without MMS I need it for work.
hsh.shawn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KoukiFC3S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 881
 
Device(s): Incredible 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 139
Thanked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsh.shawn View Post
Hmm yea that is a deal breaker for me I messaged myself a picture and obviously nothing in g voice but with stock turned off I will never know they came through.

Anyone gone fulltime to G voice have a fix for this without dual notifications?

Side note really Google still no MMS support? I laughed at iphone users who didnt have MMS for 2 years but your service is approaching that 2 year mark quickly without MMS I need it for work.
If you integrate your Sprint # with google voice on the website, you don't need to download the Google Voice app on your phone.

Texts sent from the standard messaging app will be integrated to google voice. So when people mms your google voice, they will still show up in the inbox.

Edit: Google Voice might only be able to receive MMS from Sprint users. I'm testing it right now.
KoukiFC3S is offline  
Last edited by KoukiFC3S; June 1st, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 123
 
Device(s): OG Evo Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 124 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
If you integrate your Sprint # with google voice on the website, you don't need to download the Google Voice app on your phone.

Texts sent from the standard messaging app will be integrated to google voice. So when people mms your google voice, they will still show up in the inbox.

Edit: Google Voice might only be able to receive MMS from Sprint users. I'm testing it right now.
It is integrated but I use the G voice app for my voicemail service as well I like having voicemails and texts all in one place. I know that they have a half assed MMS feature where as long as the sender is with Sprint and you have forwarding to email set up you can receive the MMS in your Gmail inbox, but that is not quite the solution I am looking for. Most of my friends and family are not even with Sprint so it would not work anyway.
hsh.shawn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 192
 
Device(s): My old LG Optimus V (At least I know what my bill is)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I have always used ChompSMS
emburybrett is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
hilker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Crozet, VA
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): HTC One, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Recently I've noticed that the stock app is a little psychotic regarding the font size. It keeps jumping back and forth from one size to another, for no apparent reason.
hilker09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hilker09 For This Useful Post:
Gladius Nova (June 27th, 2012)
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
PattiCakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
 
Device(s): LG G2, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,795
Thanked 227 Times in 141 Posts
Send a message via MSN to PattiCakeUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3volut1on View Post
Yup, Mute's doing it's job by killing notifications
As it should but - a vibration isn't a sound.. exactly... and my old Shift still vibrated when the sound was muted using the same app.
PattiCakeUS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Question Group messaging an option? [note:Can send to group but replies are individual]

I know there have been updates to the UI of the original EVO 4G, but I am wondering if group messaging features were built in?
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,109
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,633
Thanked 11,787 Times in 6,788 Posts
Default

What specific features are you looking for? I'm able to send messages to a group....
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
What specific features are you looking for? I'm able to send messages to a group....
but are you able to have a group conversation? On the evo 4G if you send a message to a group each response comes back as an individual message not a group message.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PyroSporker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: ):

Thanks: 763
Thanked 1,105 Times in 606 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
But are you able to have a group conversation? On the Evo 4G if you send a message to a group each response comes back as an individual message not a group message.
I'm pretty sure I remember someone noticing that the group sent messages are still threaded individually on the Stock SMS application for the Evo 4G LTE.

You can send out a message to a group of contacts, but the replies all come back into that individuals own contact thread. I'm not able to find the post on here, since I'm not sure how it was worded and the terms are not very specific (difficult to search)

Most that want grouped threading just use a different messaging application from the Market.
marctronixx likes this.
PyroSporker is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PyroSporker For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (June 27th, 2012), marctronixx (June 27th, 2012)
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 212
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
but are you able to have a group conversation? On the evo 4G if you send a message to a group each response comes back as an individual message not a group message.
You have to use handcent. Make it your defualt messenger and then click on allow group messages. Its still not smooth, (when someone in the group responds, you have to click download, then it sends the text to the group thread) but at least when you respond its going to the group and not one individual at a time.
aeiou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Loganville, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,529
 
Device(s): HTC ONE
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 2,852
Thanked 3,106 Times in 2,336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
I know there have been updates to the UI of the original EVO 4G, but I am wondering if group messaging features were built in?
Pro SMS should do what you want. And while you're at it, checkout their amazing launcher and keyboard. ☜<( ̄︶ ̄)> []~( ̄▽ ̄)~* ( ̄﹏ ̄) ( ̄ˇ ̄)
__________________
"Accept the things you cannot change, have the courage to change the things you can ...And have the Wisdom to know the difference".


Rush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
HTC User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,105
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20,782
Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,761 Posts
Default

There is already a messaging thread:

What messaging app are you using?

to the OP, you will have to use 3rd party choices to continue in a group fashion. the stock message app will not do it.
marctronixx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeiou View Post
You have to use handcent. Make it your defualt messenger and then click on allow group messages. Its still not smooth, (when someone in the group responds, you have to click download, then it sends the text to the group thread) but at least when you respond its going to the group and not one individual at a time.
Thanks, but I dont like hancent. I dont understand why this is not a feature of the stock app.
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KENNECTED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York, NY (Manhattan)
Posts: 979
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE & ASUS Transformer Prime
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 436
Thanked 235 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Lindsay View Post
Pro SMS should do what you want. And while you're at it, checkout their amazing launcher and keyboard. ☜<( ̄︶ ̄)> []~( ̄▽ ̄)~* ( ̄﹏ ̄) ( ̄ˇ ̄)
Thanks. I see "GO" SMS but not "Pro SMS".
KENNECTED is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Check out POWOW Messenger; available in Google Play. It allows you to do true reply-all group messaging, with the conversation organized in a single thread/number.
wildhawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 425
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 147
Thanked 58 Times in 41 Posts
Default

I like mass messaging but having each person think it is just to them. So you can hit up 5 friends and ask if they are out or something and each response comes back in it's own text.

A friend sent out a mass text through his iphone and it was annoying because id get random text responses from people and not even know who it was.
i.have.droid is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to i.have.droid For This Useful Post:
Gladius Nova (June 27th, 2012)
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
PattiCakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
 
Device(s): LG G2, Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,795
Thanked 227 Times in 141 Posts
Send a message via MSN to PattiCakeUS
Default

Just recently I've been using 2 additional messaging apps:
1) WhatsApp - so my friend (in another country, she has a blackberry with a limited messaging plan) & I can text each other without it costing her anything, and
2) Tablet Talk - it lets me use my Xoom tablet to send texts through either bluetooth or my wireless network as if they were from my phone. Of course my brother - the cheapest man on earth - had to find a free app that does that too, after I paid $3 for Tablet Talk. He's using mysms and apparently it allows you to send texts from either your tablet or your pc as if you were sending them from your phone. One thing Tablet Talk doesn't do is let me send or receive pictures on my tablet but that's not a big deal for me.

It's amazing the number of cool apps that are out there
PattiCakeUS is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

HTC EVO 4G LTE
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC EVO 4G LTE is Sprint's version of the HTC One X. It comes with all the same specs, except for the processor, internal storage and radios (includes LTE). And aesthetics are also significantly different. While many users have complaine... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Evo 4G LTE
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.