Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
maxx2496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Tethering/Hotspot for EVO

Question, I know Sprint's hotspot feature is to use the EVO "Wirelessly" with up to 8 diff. devices and that is what the $30 charge is for if you want to use that feature....... It's my understanding that "Tethering" is a different thing where u directly connect your EVO to a laptop and use the "Internet Sharing" mode that way with only that device. I don't pay the extra $30 so i dont have hotspot for my EVO but I am able to Tether my phone to my laptop. Ive read that tethering is not allowed on the sprint network without purchasing the Hotspot feature and i can have my contract terminated if i continue to use tethering with my EVO. IS THAT TRUE?????? Is the tethering feature with the EVO at this point, just a feature that has not been disabled or patched yet or is it infact supported by sprint without needing to buy the Sprint Hotspot feature?????? And if it is freely available is there a cap to how much data i can use while tethering??????..... cause you know, i do pay the damn """ $10 premium charge""" for each EVO on my account..... (P.S. - No i dont use any app for tethering, i use the built in feature by HTC)

Advertisements
maxx2496 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Daft Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 250
 
Device(s): EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

i would like to know as well.
Daft Punk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

subscribed
rm2092 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 321
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 274
Thanked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I don't pay the $30 hotspot fee and I could not USB-tether with the built in app. all I got every time I tried was error 67 both on 3G and 4G. calls to Sprint's technical support did not do anything. they kept saying you have to pay to play.

now for USB tethering I use PDANet and for wireless hotspot tethering I use unevoked with WiFi Tether
skpd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 86
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I tethered my evo to my pc last night using pda net. It was easy and only took about 20 minutes.
icebergslim3000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

According to the Terms of Service in your Evo contract,

Quote:
Prohibited Network Uses. To ensure the activities of some users do not impair the ability of our customers to have access to reliable services provided at reasonable costs, you may not use our services in a manner that is unlawful, infringes on intellectual property rights, or harms or unduly interferes with the use of Sprint's network or systems. Sprint reserves the right, without notice or limitation, to limit data throughput speeds or quantities or to deny, terminate, end, modify, disconnect, or suspend service if an individual engages in any of the prohibited voice or data uses detailed below or if Sprint, in its sole discretion, determines action is necessary to protect its wireless networks from harm or degradation.....

Examples of prohibited data uses: Sprint data services are provided solely for purposes of web surfing, sending and receiving email, photographs and other similar messaging activities, and the non-continuous streaming of videos, downloading of files or on line gaming. Our data services may not be used:

(vi) for an activity that connects any device to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for the purpose of transmitting wireless data over the network (unless customer is using a plan designated for such usage)


Unlimited Use Plans. If you subscribe to rate plans, services or features that are described as unlimited, you should be aware that such "unlimited" plans are subject to these Sprint Prohibited Network Uses.
So, by tethering your laptop to your phone for internet use without paying for the Hotspot fee... you are breaking the Terms of Service.
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Daft Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 250
 
Device(s): EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

so us people who are rooted and tethering are fine?
Daft Punk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Punk View Post
so us people who are rooted and tethering are fine?
No. You are breaking the Terms of Service (TOS). If Sprint detects it, they can limit data throughput speeds or quantities (i.e. cap your unlimited data or just slow your data speed to a crawl) or to deny, terminate, end, modify, disconnect, or suspend your service.

I paid for an "unlimited phone as modem" feature with Sprint for years. I remember people being saying, "oh, it's undetectable! They won't/can't do anything to you! Go ahead and just do it without paying!" Then, when Sprint started cutting off their service, capping their data, sending them warning letters, and finally charging them for data usage over their now capped data usage, they got all upset.

So, can Sprint detect you tethering your phone? I'm not a technophile, so I can't say. I can tell you that they were able to detect it a few years ago and that people were billed for such usage (and a lot more than $30), had their service suspended, or data transmissions throttled back.
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
maxx2496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default woh hold on

Okay one, why are ppl using apps to tether their EVO when tethering is already supported by default by htc. All u need to do Is have htc sync installed on your computer and I don't think It even matters if your covered with 4g or not. The EVO supports tethering by Itself all u need Is a computer..... and two, where did you find/go to get the 'evo contract' information because I have not recieved any documentation or conrract info. I assume somewhere online. where please? And last, how would I be breaking contract policy If all I am doing Is using a product as Im told to use it by the manual and have not made any Illegal modificatoons to it. The EVO supports tethering right out of the box. It tells you how to use it in the manual and is accesible by default. So what right does sprint have to call tethering with the EVO illegal/against policy.??????
maxx2496 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pwnst*r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 102
Thanked 206 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2496 View Post
Okay one, why are ppl using apps to tether their EVO when tethering is already supported by default by htc. All u need to do Is have htc sync installed on your computer and I don't think It even matters if your covered with 4g or not. The EVO supports tethering by Itself all u need Is a computer..... and two, where did you find/go to get the 'evo contract' information because I have not recieved any documentation or conrract info. I assume somewhere online. where please? And last, how would I be breaking contract policy If all I am doing Is using a product as Im told to use it by the manual and have not made any Illegal modificatoons to it. The EVO supports tethering right out of the box. It tells you how to use it in the manual and is accesible by default. So what right does sprint have to call tethering with the EVO illegal/against policy.??????
Because you're doing so by circumventing the service fee.
pwnst*r is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2496 View Post
Okay one, why are ppl using apps to tether their EVO when tethering is already supported by default by htc. All u need to do Is have htc sync installed on your computer and I don't think It even matters if your covered with 4g or not. The EVO supports tethering by Itself all u need Is a computer..... and two, where did you find/go to get the 'evo contract' information because I have not recieved any documentation or conrract info. I assume somewhere online. where please? And last, how would I be breaking contract policy If all I am doing Is using a product as Im told to use it by the manual and have not made any Illegal modificatoons to it. The EVO supports tethering right out of the box. It tells you how to use it in the manual and is accesible by default. So what right does sprint have to call tethering with the EVO illegal/against policy.??????
Look at my initial post. Click on the "Terms of Service" in blue. That will take you to Sprint's site that describes the Terms of Service for their Everything data plans.

Just because the manual describes the possibility of a function doesn't mean that you don't have to pay for it.

For example, I sell you cable television service. Your service allows for the possibility of viewing premium channels on your television in addition to regular cable. You are still required to pay for the ability to watch those premium channels. Yes, you can hack in and watch those channels for free... but people have had their service cut off or even been prosecuted for doing so.

When you signed your phone contract, you basically promised Sprint that you wouldn't tether your computer/laptop without paying the hotspot fee. Sprint required that in your contract... which you willingly signed. What right do they have? They had the right as a contracted service provider.
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
ArtGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I don't think that's what Maxx is referring too. He didn't say anything about hacking. There is simply a button on the UI that allows one to connect to the internet and share that bandwidth with a tethered laptop.

To use your analogy of the cable company... If I subscribe to the basic programing, yet the cable company turns on the movie channels, I am not breaking any contract obligations by simply tuning into HBO (or whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braaainz View Post
...
For example, I sell you cable television service. Your service allows for the possibility of viewing premium channels on your television in addition to regular cable. You are still required to pay for the ability to watch those premium channels. Yes, you can hack in and watch those channels for free... but people have had their service cut off or even been prosecuted for doing so.

When you signed your phone contract, you basically promised Sprint that you wouldn't tether your computer/laptop without paying the hotspot fee. Sprint required that in your contract... which you willingly signed. What right do they have? They had the right as a contracted service provider.
ArtGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGuy View Post
I don't think that's what Maxx is referring too. He didn't say anything about hacking. There is simply a button on the UI that allows one to connect to the internet and share that bandwidth with a tethered laptop.

To use your analogy of the cable company... If I subscribe to the basic programing, yet the cable company turns on the movie channels, I am not breaking any contract obligations by simply tuning into HBO (or whatever).
The thing about analogies is that they do not necessarily match reality. I would like to point out that people who are watching HBO without paying could still be prosecuted even if it had been "accidently" turned on by their cable-serviceman.

In your Terms of Service, you agreed not to share your bandwidth with other devices without paying the additional fee. Can your phone tether to a computer? Yes... but that doesn't mean you are free to do so. According to the contract that you signed, you wouldn't do that.

Now, will Sprint catch you tethering and do anything about it? I know of people (from online) who were bitching about it when they were caught a few years ago... but I think they were a small minority.

However, breaking contracts is unethical and makes one rather untrustworthy (IMHO at least).
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,584
 
Device(s): HTC Evo, Rev0002
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 43
Thanked 220 Times in 172 Posts
Default

Per this post, has Sprint changed it's position that it will not allow free USB tethering. The statement was pre-release, but it's the only thing I could find where I read that Sprint would allow USB tethering of 1 device with Evo at no charge.

Sprint says it will allow PDAnet tethering on EVO 4G, suggests it will also allow built-in Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability in 2.2 'Froyo' update for Android | TECHNOLOGY Blog | dallasnews.com
Rigmaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
maxx2496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Hmmm well I took the Initiative to call Sprint tech support and spoke ro a csr. He did clarify that although the EVO supports tethering out of the box, sprint doesn't allow that and preferred for me to buy the hotspot feature. BUT WHY WOULD I BUY A FEATURE TO SUPPORT SOMETHING I DONT NEED? BECAUSE TETHERING DOES NOT REQUIRE A WIFI HOTSPOT CONNECTION. IT IS A DIRECT USB CONNECTION. Furthermore the nice csr mistAkenly read me some notes from his database that the tethering feature may be disabled with the 2.2 update for the EVO. I DONT THINK HE WAS SUPPOSE TO TELL ME THAT but that news just made me even more pissedi. It's disgusting to see my provider say they have the right to limit,terminate, or change a feature under my device just because they can and because I will be using premium content that I bought at a sprint store. Isn't that why I paid $10 for?........ I am not complaining In any way, I'm simply pointing out that Sprint's move to try and nickel and dime everyone for almost everything that they can Is getting on my nerves. It's not like they are losing money, all EVO owners pay the $10 premium wuTs the big effin point.? There is no point. Thats why Im pissed. Does no one else care.?
maxx2496 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
ArtGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 119
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Technically, I see your point. But leaving that service turned on within the EVO is confusing to the customer. If it's an additional paid service, it should be deactivated unless the service was requested by the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braaainz View Post
The thing about analogies is that they do not necessarily match reality. I would like to point out that people who are watching HBO without paying could still be prosecuted even if it had been "accidently" turned on by their cable-serviceman.

In your Terms of Service, you agreed not to share your bandwidth with other devices without paying the additional fee. Can your phone tether to a computer? Yes... but that doesn't mean you are free to do so. According to the contract that you signed, you wouldn't do that.

Now, will Sprint catch you tethering and do anything about it? I know of people (from online) who were bitching about it when they were caught a few years ago... but I think they were a small minority.

However, breaking contracts is unethical and makes one rather untrustworthy (IMHO at least).
ArtGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Outer mongolia
Posts: 100
 
Device(s): Wht & Blk EVO's Mifi
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

If you abuse it, you will be warned stay under the 5gig cap for 3g and for 4g its unlimited

From what i read and can remember its abusing it for 3 months before it becomes an issue.

it is technically against your TOS of course because they want you to pay additional for a hot spot or for separate mifi line, and thats what 80% (guessing) of the people out there do because they don't know about rooting, and the free apps out there.

Think about it they give you a phone that can download movies, music, documents untolled data, how can they tell its tethered? its just moving data
sjjones is offline  
Last edited by sjjones; June 24th, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 442
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigmaster View Post
Per this post, has Sprint changed it's position that it will not allow free USB tethering. The statement was pre-release, but it's the only thing I could find where I read that Sprint would allow USB tethering of 1 device with Evo at no charge.

Sprint says it will allow PDAnet tethering on EVO 4G, suggests it will also allow built-in Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability in 2.2 'Froyo' update for Android | TECHNOLOGY Blog | dallasnews.com
I thought I saw this too, so I'm surprised to hear it's no longer free.
IPvFletch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
maxx2496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Excuse my rare ignorance. What do u mean by circumventing the service fee? I would like for sum one to explain to me how using my EVO tethered to my laptop should cost me more money and require me to purchase the hotspot feature. Obviously I understand sprint wants more money from their customers if they are forcing them to buy an additional service for something that Is already available without that bought service (which sounds unethical from a business standpoint BTW). Wut justifies me having to buy the hotspot feature in order for me not to use the hotspot feature but a feature that is given to me without hotspot capability.? Whats the difference between browsing the net on my phone or using my tethered phone to my laptop to browse. Maybe the data usage would be a little higher if I were to watch movies on hulu maybe BUT don't I pay $10 a month for this premium content?.......p.s. FYI tethering is a phone to modem utilization, not the same as hotspot. some people seem to mesh the two together which is Incorrect.
maxx2496 is offline  
Last edited by maxx2496; June 24th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2496 View Post
It's disgusting to see my provider say they have the right to limit,terminate, or change a feature under my device just because they can and because I will be using premium content that I bought at a sprint store. Isn't that why I paid $10 for?........ I am not complaining In any way, I'm simply pointing out that Sprint's move to try and nickel and dime everyone for almost everything that they can Is getting on my nerves. It's not like they are losing money, all EVO owners pay the $10 premium wuTs the big effin point.? There is no point. Thats why Im pissed. Does no one else care.?
Sprint is in third place in the United States. They need to compete against the other companies and also produce revenue for their stockholders.

As to the $10 premium... they know people are going to be using their Evo's more for data-services than phone calls. Heck, I used about 4GB in my first two weeks streaming movies, podcasts, music, television shows, etc.

I think you need to look around at some other forums. People have used/are using 3g internet connections to download bit torrent files with their computers. This would be over and above the bandwidth people are using on their phones and could substantially slow the network down.

So, do I care they won't allow free tethering? Yes... because I want a fast network, I don't want people abusing a "free service". Charge people a fee and they'll be more careful. Let's avoid the Tragedy of the Commons before we start grazing.

EDITED TO ADD: Heck, there's a guy on the forum right now trying to tether his XBox to his Evo for internet support. You don't think that would eat more data than what the Evo would usually draw?
Braaainz is offline  
Last edited by Braaainz; June 24th, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2496 View Post
Excuse my rare ignorance. What do u mean by circumventing the service fee? I would like for sum one to explain to me how using my EVO tethered to my laptop should cost me more money and require me to purchase the hotspot feature. Obviously I understand sprint wants more money from their customers if they are forcing them to buy an additional service for something that Is already available without that bought service (which sounds unethical from a business standpoint BTW). Wut justifies me having to buy the hotspot feature in order for me not to use the hotspot feature but a feature that is given to me without hotspot capability.? Whats the difference between browsing the net on my phone or using my tethered phone to my laptop to browse. Maybe the data usage would be a little higher if I were to watch movies on hulu maybe BUT don't I pay $10 a month for this premium content?.......p.s. FYI tethering is a phone to modem utilization, not the same as hotspot. some people seem to mesh the two together which is Incorrect.
Again, look around on this forum and others. People are talking about hooking up their gaming consoles for internet connections. People are using tethering for downloading GB's of bit torrent files. So, yeah... data usage would be much higher.

The $10 premium content is not for unlimited computer internet. It's for unlimited data streaming to a data-heavy phone.

As to your argument that because you CAN easily tether your phone, that should give you the right... does that mean if I leave my front door unlocked, that gives you the right to move in?
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,584
 
Device(s): HTC Evo, Rev0002
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 43
Thanked 220 Times in 172 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPvFletch View Post
I thought I saw this too, so I'm surprised to hear it's no longer free.
I'll wait to see what happens. I'm pretty sure I also read a follow-up that quoted Sprint as saying that USB tethering for 1 device will remain free, including when Froyo is released for Evo.

I don't use this feature, and it's not a factor for me with the Evo. If I want to tether, I'd expect that to only be when I'm in strong Wimax coverage where it's worth me dropping the $30 that can be start/stopped and does not require ongoing charges.

I still think Sprint should just have a $1/day unilmited tethering feature across the board so people really use it only when needed. That would make it easier than anything they've tried so far.
Rigmaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Outer mongolia
Posts: 100
 
Device(s): Wht & Blk EVO's Mifi
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2496 View Post
Excuse my rare ignorance. What do u mean by circumventing the service fee? I would like for sum one to explain to me how using my EVO tethered to my laptop should cost me more money and require me to purchase the hotspot feature. Obviously I understand sprint wants more money from their customers if they are forcing them to buy an additional service for something that Is already available without that bought service (which sounds unethical from a business standpoint BTW). Wut justifies me having to buy the hotspot feature in order for me not to use the hotspot feature but a feature that is given to me without hotspot capability.? Whats the difference between browsing the net on my phone or using my tethered phone to my laptop to browse. Maybe the data usage would be a little higher if I were to watch movies on hulu maybe BUT don't I pay $10 a month for this premium content?.......p.s. FYI tethering is a phone to modem utilization, not the same as hotspot. some people seem to mesh the two together which is Incorrect.

Very simple because sprint has the right to add it to thier TOS, you don't have to agree but its thier "rules" and sorry to say this , if you don't like the rule there are other carriers?

At one time verizon had free hotspot for pre owners for example, sprint was charging for the same feature it was my choice to stay or go after summing up the benefits to both plans.
sjjones is offline  
Last edited by sjjones; June 24th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sjjones For This Useful Post:
Braaainz (June 24th, 2010)
Old June 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
maxx2496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It is not appropriate to include that part in the contract because it contadicts what is readily available to the consumer which is tethering. Without the consumer having to use any third party app or anything of the like, they can use tethering as it is available by default and is fully supported by the manual of the HTC EVO. Some people try to make analogies and say that just because something is available and ready to use, that it should not be used. But a saying like that has no "sense" because it's obviously a part written just for its written sake (because the fact is that tethering is readily available to use by default). Now, i could see it justified for tethering to be banned under the contract terms IF the consumer were going out of their way and modifing some part of their phone to use tethering BUT that is NOT the case here because again, tethering is available by default and all it takes is connecting the device to the computer. Furthermore, I pay for an unlimited data plan and the $10 PREMIUM service for my HTC EVO as does every other owner as well and in doing so that should include my ability to tether my phone to my laptop for internet browsing purposes (not downloading of torrent files, heavy movie streaming etc....).. So besides the words just written in the HTC EVO "contract" what REAL justified reason am i not able to use my phone to tether to my one laptop device? I pay for an unlimited data plan for my EVO and in connecting my EVO to my laptop that does not violate anything that isnt legally and sufficiently written besides just being written for its own purposes. That's what i call a flawed and unethical contract. Again i Also pay the $10 premium for my EVO, if tethering should not be included in that "premium charge" what is the real reason for the charge. Excuse me if i sound rude, that is not my intention. It's just that everytime i mention tethering and question why i should not be able to use that feature when its freely available to me and instructed so in the manual, Some people respond with the CONTRACT TERMS as a reason im not able to use my EVO for tethering. But the contract is not fairly justified because it outright disafirms what i can and should do with my EVO..... And because the contract is used as the main reason for me not to be able to take advantage of the free hassleless feature, i would like a more explanation of the actuality of WHY I am not recommended to use tethering my phone and not thrown the words "contract" at me. Does what i say not make sense? Anyone?
maxx2496 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxx2496 For This Useful Post:
ed33433 (July 13th, 2010)
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2496 View Post
It is not appropriate to include that part in the contract because it contadicts what is readily available to the consumer which is tethering. Without the consumer having to use any third party app or anything of the like, they can use tethering as it is available by default and is fully supported by the manual of the HTC EVO. Some people try to make analogies and say that just because something is available and ready to use, that it should not be used. But a saying like that has no "sense" because it's obviously a part written just for its written sake (because the fact is that tethering is readily available to use by default).
HTC built the phone and the tethering feature is described in their manual. Your service is thru Sprint and your contract for use is thru Sprint. You're comparing apples to oranges.

If you don't want to agree to abide to the terms of your contract, then DON'T SIGN THE CONTRACT.


Quote:
Now, i could see it justified for tethering to be banned under the contract terms IF the consumer were going out of their way and modifing some part of their phone to use tethering BUT that is NOT the case here because again, tethering is available by default and all it takes is connecting the device to the computer.
You're driving along a country road and see a vegetable stand. On the stand is a pile of beautiful tomatoes and a mason jar filled with cash. There's a sign that says, "four tomatoes for a dollar". Now, using your example, there is nothing stopping you from taking more tomatoes without paying more. Taking more tomatoes is an option readily available to you. So, should you take more tomatoes than what you pay for, merely because the option is there?

Quote:
Furthermore, I pay for an unlimited data plan and the $10 PREMIUM service for my HTC EVO as does every other owner as well and in doing so that should include my ability to tether my phone to my laptop for internet browsing purposes (not downloading of torrent files, heavy movie streaming etc....)..
Um... no. The unlimited data and premium service is for the amount of data being used on the phone itself. Look at the Terms of Service, it is very clear that the unlimited data aspect only pertains to the phone and definitely excludes tethering. Unlimited phone data versus unlimited shared data is entirely different.

When you go to a buffet, your friend orders the buffet and you only a glass of water. Does the restaurant manager allow your friend to share their unlimited food with you? No.


Quote:
So besides the words just written in the HTC EVO "contract" what REAL justified reason am i not able to use my phone to tether to my one laptop device? I pay for an unlimited data plan for my EVO and in connecting my EVO to my laptop that does not violate anything that isnt legally and sufficiently written besides just being written for its own purposes. That's what i call a flawed and unethical contract.
Again, if you disagree with the terms of the contract, then DON'T SIGN IT.

Quote:
Again i Also pay the $10 premium for my EVO, if tethering should not be included in that "premium charge" what is the real reason for the charge.
I've already used over 5GB just on my phone alone, not including shared hotspot data. The premium charge is not for unlimited SHARED data. That is the $30 hotspot data charge.


Quote:
Excuse me if i sound rude, that is not my intention. It's just that everytime i mention tethering and question why i should not be able to use that feature when its freely available to me and instructed so in the manual, Some people respond with the CONTRACT TERMS as a reason im not able to use my EVO for tethering. But the contract is not fairly justified because it outright disafirms what i can and should do with my EVO..... And because the contract is used as the main reason for me not to be able to take advantage of the free hassleless feature, i would like a more explanation of the actuality of WHY I am not recommended to use tethering my phone and not thrown the words "contract" at me. Does what i say not make sense? Anyone?
People respond with contract terms because it is relevant. When you signed up for phone service, you signed a binding agreement as to what you would or would not do. Can you still do those things? YES... but it is unethical.
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm one of the people that will use the tethering feature. I frequently travel. A few weeks before the EVO was realeased I bought a Overdrive card. With the Overdrive card I had speeds of 6+ megs! It was great. When the EVO was released I wanted an "all in one device" so I didn't have to juggle laptops, phone, data cards, iPad etc. One device up to 8 connections. Sold!

Well let's say the EVO tethering isn't living up to the promise that Sprint says. 4G connection is supposed to be speeds "up to 10Mbps". Why is it when I tether I only can download at 300Kbps? This is on my 4G connection.. Doesn't matter time of day, or exact location (Schaumburg Illinois). This is really unexceptable.. I pay the money for this feature, but not to be throttled down to to a 300Kbps connection.

Do some searching online. You will see others with the same gripe as me. I work hard for the money. I want to utilize the service and level of service I'm paying for. I did run my own test too. I ordered another EVO. Separate
number. Same features as my primary. Wireless Tethered through Sprint
hotspot to my laptop. Tried to download from my FTP server. Same speed as
my primary.

So I ask what gives? I left verizon nearly a year ago, because of the level of
"nickel and dimming" they do. I have been one of the the biggest Sprint
backer since I bought my Pre, Hero and now EVO. I sure hope I don't find out
they are throttling my connection "unlimited" 4G connection. I will challenge
them with the facts I have compiled over the last few weeks. The term
"unlimited" is so dangerous for an ISP.. They might be able to establish an
unlimited connection for all as long as they throttle back the service to
300Kbps. If that is the case they need to advertise up to 10Mbps, but for our " unlimited data plan on 4G" maximum download speeds are only 300Kbps.

Looking forward to comments about Sprints (TOS). Rememer the level of
service they promise to paying customers.

Litespeed
Litespeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Litespeed,just curious... how much data do you usually average in a month?
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
81_
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 388
 
Device(s): EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
I'm one of the people that will use the tethering feature. I frequently travel. A few weeks before the EVO was realeased I bought a Overdrive card. With the Overdrive card I had speeds of 6+ megs! It was great. When the EVO was released I wanted an "all in one device" so I didn't have to juggle laptops, phone, data cards, iPad etc. One device up to 8 connections. Sold!

Well let's say the EVO tethering isn't living up to the promise that Sprint says. 4G connection is supposed to be speeds "up to 10Mbps". Why is it when I tether I only can download at 300Kbps? This is on my 4G connection.. Doesn't matter time of day, or exact location (Schaumburg Illinois). This is really unexceptable.. I pay the money for this feature, but not to be throttled down to to a 300Kbps connection.

Do some searching online. You will see others with the same gripe as me. I work hard for the money. I want to utilize the service and level of service I'm paying for. I did run my own test too. I ordered another EVO. Separate
number. Same features as my primary. Wireless Tethered through Sprint
hotspot to my laptop. Tried to download from my FTP server. Same speed as
my primary.

So I ask what gives? I left verizon nearly a year ago, because of the level of
"nickel and dimming" they do. I have been one of the the biggest Sprint
backer since I bought my Pre, Hero and now EVO. I sure hope I don't find out
they are throttling my connection "unlimited" 4G connection. I will challenge
them with the facts I have compiled over the last few weeks. The term
"unlimited" is so dangerous for an ISP.. They might be able to establish an
unlimited connection for all as long as they throttle back the service to
300Kbps. If that is the case they need to advertise up to 10Mbps, but for our " unlimited data plan on 4G" maximum download speeds are only 300Kbps.

Looking forward to comments about Sprints (TOS). Rememer the level of
service they promise to paying customers.

Litespeed
weird...i'm just west of you and have no problems pulling good speeds when tethered. i typically get 3-4 megs via speedtest.net, but have hit 5
81_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
81_
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 388
 
Device(s): EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Default

funny thing..

i tether at night and so far this month, i'm at 500megs, teh gf, who has only tethered once or twice is at 775 megs. streaming radio is a killer
81_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
maxx2496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Just FYI the last i remember, Sprint will be throttling data as other carriers do as well. If what i read online is correct. I don't remember if i read an article on Engadget or somewhere else. And just to defend my point, If sprint doesnt want customers to use Tethering without paying the $30 Hotspot feature then they should have restricted it on the EVO before releasing the device. It's their mistake and flaw not the customers.. And why do i read online on many different sites that tethering is actually permitted without needing to buy the hotspot feature???? Can anyone validate this? Some people say that tethering is supported free on a 4G connection and 5 Gig cap on 3G conn. But the last time i checked, tethering doesnt work without having 4G on. Maybe im just reading the wrong things i dont know..........My biggest thing is -i am able to tether without having the hotspot feature and then its my fault im using it because it isnt disabled by the company that wants to restrict it....To me that sounds like a company discrepancy prob. not mine.....And plus when Froyo comes out for the EVO what will the situation with tethering be then??
maxx2496 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

On average 1.5 -2.5gigs/per month mixed between 3G and 4G. When I travel most hotels have acceptable speeds, but some don't that is when i would connect. Most of my connection is for an exchange server, cisco VPN. I sometimes struggle with that.. When it comes to moving files over the VPN it's painful.

As stated earlier my overdrive card was fast no comparision. I really should have kept it and just kept my hero. It would have been nearly the same $$ per month when it's all said and done. I'm just worried that Sprint might be starting to go through growing pains as AT&T did with the iPhone. Remember too I bought another EVO to check and see if I hit some limit in bandwidth. The new EVO and phone number performed the same as my primary line EVO.

Nothing in this world is "unlimited" especially bandwidth. Last mile connections are cheaper then they were, but still pricey depending on the level of service.

Sprint to start throttling data speeds?

Search Android Central some others are nearly the exact speed as me.
Litespeed is offline  
Last edited by Litespeed; July 13th, 2010 at 02:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2496 View Post
Just FYI the last i remember, Sprint will be throttling data as other carriers do as well. If what i read online is correct.[
I don't remember if i read an article on Engadget or somewhere else. And just to defend my point, If sprint doesnt want customers to use Tethering without paying the $30 Hotspot feature then they should have restricted it on the EVO before releasing the device. It's their mistake and flaw not the customers.. And why do i read online on many different sites that tethering is actually permitted without needing to buy the hotspot feature???? Can anyone validate this? Some people say that tethering is supported free on a 4G connection and 5 Gig cap on 3G conn. But the last time i checked, tethering doesnt work without having 4G on. Maybe im just reading the wrong things i dont know..........My biggest thing is -i am able to tether without having the hotspot feature and then its my fault im using it because it isnt disabled by the company that wants to restrict it....To me that sounds like a company discrepancy prob. not mine.....And plus when Froyo comes out for the EVO what will the situation with tethering be then??
Don't believe everything you read online. You signed a written contract, look at that first and foremost.

As to Sprint being at fault for having/letting an option exist, does that mean if I leave my front door unlocked that you should be allowed to move into my home without my permission?

If you drive past a roadside vegetable-stand which has a sign for "4 tomatoes for a dollar", a jar of cash and a large basket of tomatoes, you could take more tomatoes than a dollars worth, but is that right/moral/ethical?
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Sprint says it will allow PDAnet tethering on EVO 4G, suggests it will also allow built-in Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability in 2.2 'Froyo' update for Android | TECHNOLOGY Blog | dallasnews.com

"So I asked Crystal Davis, my official contact at Sprint, about both those issues, and it sounds like good news all around for EVO buyers:

There's a difference between tethering (which the PDAnet app provides) and Mobile Hotspot (which HTC EVO 4G provides without needing to download an app). The PDAnet app requires a connection with either a USB cable or Bluetooth, so it can only provide connectivity for one device at a time. Therefore, the app wouldn't be a solution for someone who wants connectivity for multiple devices at once. In contrast, the 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot provides WiFi connectivity, so it can support multiple devices (up to 8) at once, without a need for a USB or Bluetooth connection.
In regards to Froyo 2.2, it has not been released yet, so we can['t] make any assessments on that particular application. Sprint has always communicated to its customers that it does not block apps. We want our customers to be able to get access to what they want and enjoy a true Web experience on their mobile device, although we cannot guarantee the performance a customer will experience with third-party applications.

So it sounds like PDAnet will definitely be allowed."

Don't know how correct this is, but should add something to the conversation.
BKBitar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
On average 1.5 -2.5gigs/per month mixed between 3G and 4G. When I travel most hotels have acceptable speeds, but some don't that is when i would connect. Most of my connection is for an exchange server, cisco VPN. I sometimes struggle with that.. When it comes to moving files over the VPN it's painful.

As stated earlier my overdrive card was fast no comparision. I really should have kept it and just kept my hero. It would have been nearly the same $$ per month when it's all said and done. I'm just worried that Sprint might be starting to go through growing pains as AT&T did with the iPhone. Remember too I bought another EVO to check and see if I hit some limit in bandwidth. The new EVO and phone number performed the same as my primary line EVO.

Nothing in this world is "unlimited" especially bandwidth. Last mile connections are cheaper then they were, but still pricey depending on the level of service.

Sprint to start throttling data speeds?

Search Android Central some others are nearly the exact speed as me.
Your data usage sounds reasonable, maybe their network is being bogged down in your area.

I had sprint's unlimited phone as modem previously, and my internet is far faster thru my Evo.

In fact, my 3g connection is faster than what I usually get thru my work's WiFi network.
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

EVO tethering IS allowed by Sprint, I use it exclusively while travelling. How to connect it IS described in the documentation that comes with the phone. You simply in install the HTC Sync software on your PC that is supplied on the SD card of the phone. When you connect the phone to the PC, the HTC Sync asks if you want to do 1 of 4 options. The last option is "share internet connection". It works on 3G or 4G. You have to have 4G on of course to use the 4G. It was very simple to set up and works great. Your phone even charges while connected this way.
Smiles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 345
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
EVO tethering IS allowed by Sprint, I use it exclusively while travelling. How to connect it IS described in the documentation that comes with the phone. You simply in install the HTC Sync software on your PC that is supplied on the SD card of the phone. When you connect the phone to the PC, the HTC Sync asks if you want to do 1 of 4 options. The last option is "share internet connection". It works on 3G or 4G. You have to have 4G on of course to use the 4G. It was very simple to set up and works great. Your phone even charges while connected this way.
The manual is HTC's not Sprint's. That is an important distinction.
Braaainz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 225
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBitar View Post
Sprint says it will allow PDAnet tethering on EVO 4G, suggests it will also allow built-in Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability in 2.2 'Froyo' update for Android | TECHNOLOGY Blog | dallasnews.com

"So I asked Crystal Davis, my official contact at Sprint, about both those issues, and it sounds like good news all around for EVO buyers:

There's a difference between tethering (which the PDAnet app provides) and Mobile Hotspot (which HTC EVO 4G provides without needing to download an app). The PDAnet app requires a connection with either a USB cable or Bluetooth, so it can only provide connectivity for one device at a time. Therefore, the app wouldn't be a solution for someone who wants connectivity for multiple devices at once. In contrast, the 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot provides WiFi connectivity, so it can support multiple devices (up to 8) at once, without a need for a USB or Bluetooth connection.
In regards to Froyo 2.2, it has not been released yet, so we can['t] make any assessments on that particular application. Sprint has always communicated to its customers that it does not block apps. We want our customers to be able to get access to what they want and enjoy a true Web experience on their mobile device, although we cannot guarantee the performance a customer will experience with third-party applications.

So it sounds like PDAnet will definitely be allowed."

Don't know how correct this is, but should add something to the conversation.
Ahh so you just admitted you were wrong. Great way to ruin a thread like you did earlier.
nizmoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
peepeesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

a few things that may interest the OP
First off, you can tether through USB using PDAnet and Easy Tether without being rooted. however they both require client software on the machine you are tethered to. and they both filter https unless you pay 10$ for the app.

if you root, you can install a wired tether app Here Android Wired Tether is patched and working for Evo - xda-developers

i have done this and it works like a phone as modem and is very easy to install

whether or not Sprint is going to find out i cant say... i have used my TP to tether USB to my computer for over 2 years and i never received any warning letter or cap on my data. granted i didn't do serious amounts of downloading just basic web browsing and downloading the occasional app.

my questions is how can they tell you have your device tethered? exsesive amounts of data usage maybe? but that does prove you have the phone tethered.
peepeesea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #39 (permalink)
81_
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 388
 
Device(s): EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Default

i'm guessing in the new tech age, they can find out anything that you do with your phone.

anyways, when i signed my stuff at the store, there wasn't anything in the paper work that i recieved that mentioned tethering.

i will continue to use the built in tether app and if it stops working, i will go the pdanet route.
81_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braaainz View Post
According to the Terms of Service in your Evo contract,



So, by tethering your laptop to your phone for internet use without paying for the Hotspot fee... you are breaking the Terms of Service.
I was at the sprint store, and they said, it cost $29.99 but there is an app you can download and its free, and doesn't charge to your account monthly, so it is free for mobile tethering or hotspotting. And they don't care, the sprint store employee downloaded the app for me and connected me to my ipod through my Evo Shift.
Bihl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #41 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I've been using my EVO as my only internet connection since I got it in October 2010, no issues so far. I'm rooted with the wireless tether app. Works for my PS3 too.
theamishninja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 418
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bihl View Post
I was at the sprint store, and they said, it cost $29.99 but there is an app you can download and its free, and doesn't charge to your account monthly, so it is free for mobile tethering or hotspotting. And they don't care, the sprint store employee downloaded the app for me and connected me to my ipod through my Evo Shift.
I'm sure they were referring to the apps that don't require rooting - easytether and pdanet. Although many sprint people don't care if you root and use the wireless tether app etc, some do care and can flag your device.
mdizzle99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bihl View Post
I was at the sprint store, and they said, it cost $29.99 but there is an app you can download and its free, and doesn't charge to your account monthly, so it is free for mobile tethering or hotspotting. And they don't care, the sprint store employee downloaded the app for me and connected me to my ipod through my Evo Shift.
Name of the app please and thanks
Bevo's Big Brother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,584
 
Device(s): HTC Evo, Rev0002
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 43
Thanked 220 Times in 172 Posts
Default

Tethering and hotspotting are not one in the same. Tethering is one device. Hotspotting is multiple. Tethering, via PDaNet and EasyTether, can be done free or paid. Free versions don't give access to secured sites (for shopping and account management and usally marked by https) but are fine for general surfing.

Not sure how/if Sprint can tell with one device wire-tethered or bluetooth-tethered.

The Sprint Hotspot connection enables use of 8 devices via wireless tethering from Evo. It's worth it when you need it as it can be turned on/off according to your needs. It's just that the fee is monthly even though you may only need it for one or a few days (as on a business trip). For business, it's actually quite a good bargain as hotel wifi can be as expensive, not as fast and reliable, and limited to the connections/ports in your room usually no more than 2.
Rigmaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,133
 
Device(s): EVO 4G Rooted + CM7 [ROM]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 358
Thanked 368 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Personally, I just don't see the logic behind them only charging for their hotpsot service. I would think their issue would be with any and all data not consumed directly on the phone itself. FWIW, I have used the hotpsot feature many times. I am not sure what the limiting factor is, but it is available in stock and some custom ROMs and I have never been charged extra for it.
__________________
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself" - Josh Billings
lordofthereef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 51
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i use the visionary app to temp root & wireless teether,i rarely teether to a lab top......i teether to my PS3, and mainly use it to play online...i have checked my data usage or the past few months and my data usage didnt go up at all.....would sprint still be able to track it down??
marvinlh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigmaster View Post
It's just that the fee is monthly even though you may only need it for one or a few days (as on a business trip).
That's not true. Sprint allows you to activate the hot spot service for as long or short as you want and you pay a prorated amount. Last month I went to Vegas for 5 days and I had the hot spot for my ipad, which was great because I could stream Netflix at 4g with no problem. I cancelled the service when I got home, and Sprint only billed me for those 5 days.
fullcity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
TheEngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 268
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Fullcity is correct.
__________________
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.”

I work for Sprint, I do not represent them on this forum!
TheEngineer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
arnezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcity View Post
That's not true. Sprint allows you to activate the hot spot service for as long or short as you want and you pay a prorated amount. Last month I went to Vegas for 5 days and I had the hot spot for my ipad, which was great because I could stream Netflix at 4g with no problem. I cancelled the service when I got home, and Sprint only billed me for those 5 days.
You went to Vegas and watched movies??????? What's wrong with you ??
arnezie is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arnezie For This Useful Post:
ScorpDX (May 16th, 2011)
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnezie View Post
You went to Vegas and watched movies??????? What's wrong with you ??
LOL, my 6 and 8 year olds watched Netflix while I was at the poker tables (that is, when I could convince my wife it was her turn to take over babysitting duties)!
fullcity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC EVO 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When Sprint announced their first ever 4G handset at CTIA in March 2010, they dropped a bombshell on the mobile world. The HTC Evo 4G is a device that introduces a lot of firsts when compared to other North American handsets. This is the first Andr... Read More

Tags
evo tethering, hotspot


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.