Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree6Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #101 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 92
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Send a message via MSN to knightwolf123
Default

Had mine since launch day .
Now I'm rooted .
Running mikZ rom.
I love my evo all over again .
I'll never need another phone as long as new roms exist.

knightwolf123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #102 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,614
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightwolf123 View Post
Had mine since launch day .
Now I'm rooted .
Running mikZ rom.
I love my evo all over again .
I'll never need another phone as long as new roms exist.

bingo... and that is why .. my first concern before i get a new phone.. is how the dev community will accept it.

other phones maybe great.. out of the box.

but EVO has so more staying power.
dan330 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #103 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ndh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Posts: 868
 
Device(s): Sprint:Samsung Galaxy SIII-retired; HTC Evo 4G-retired; Samsung Moment-retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 487
Thanked 187 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybee View Post
Thank you! Yep, I will probably need some help, it is all Greek to me right now as the only smart phone I have ever had is my Palm Pre. It is
nerve racking switching from a phone you really know to a phone that
I know nothing about! I just hope I like it...

If I can get the wifi teather up and running, I think I will be really happy!

Can you think of any "must have" accessories I should get so I have it
here when I get my phone next Friday?
Accessories really depend on what type of daily lifestyle you have. I do strongly recommend a cover case as it really does not feel like this phone can take a fall. I got a charger for the car too as well as a second, longer data cable that I use for the wall charger. My phone came with a 8GB memory card that I upgraded to a 16GB card too.

Other than that, my phone is everything that came with the phone.

WiFi tethering is as simple as downloading an app once your device is rooted.
ndh777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ndh777 For This Useful Post:
marybee (March 8th, 2011)
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #104 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndh777 View Post
Accessories really depend on what type of daily lifestyle you have. I do strongly recommend a cover case as it really does not feel like this phone can take a fall. I got a charger for the car too as well as a second, longer data cable that I use for the wall charger. My phone came with a 8GB memory card that I upgraded to a 16GB card too.

Other than that, my phone is everything that came with the phone.

WiFi tethering is as simple as downloading an app once your device is rooted.
I know...the Rooting is what scares me the most!

I was looking at some cases...not sure what one to get yet, I know I want a screen protector too. Any suggestions? I am not hard on my phone and honestly I am usually either just at home or the store with it. I work at home.
marybee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #105 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ndh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Posts: 868
 
Device(s): Sprint:Samsung Galaxy SIII-retired; HTC Evo 4G-retired; Samsung Moment-retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 487
Thanked 187 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybee View Post
I know...the Rooting is what scares me the most!

I was looking at some cases...not sure what one to get yet, I know I want a screen protector too. Any suggestions? I am not hard on my phone and honestly I am usually either just at home or the store with it. I work at home.
To be honest...the screen on the Evo is almost invincible.

I have had the phone for months, since August 2010, and have NEVER put a screen protector on it. The screen is just as nice as it was first day. It does get a bit fingerprinty if you know what I mean, where all you will see is fingerprints over the screen, but after a quick rub down with your shirt and a few huffs from the breath...it looks aokay

That's my story for the screen though...others may have other stories. I do like my friend's Epic screen protector that he got at the mall...you know, one of those booths that offers to put a screen on it, simply because it won't slip out of your hands and it provides a bit more security from people who may look over shoulders haha not perfect...but better than nothing if you know what I mean?

As for a case...I got a simple rubber case that wraps around the phone. I have dropped my phone a few times on carpet, tile, concrete, and other places and not a single dent in the phone nor has the phone experience damage internally or whatever. I got mine from our local swap meet for less than $10. It was the very first accessory I bought for the phone as it just seemed so delicate in my hands.

Really...rooting sounds harder than it actually is. Honestly, here were my steps...

1. Visit unrevoked.com
2. Download software for phone
3. Plug in phone when commanded
4. Wait (I walked away, watched tv, played games, etc.)
5. Came back 3 and a half hours later and BAM!...it was rooted I swear...it was as easy as that with unrEVOked. (Your root should NOT take you 3 and half hours though. My phone was one of a kind with this long as it took. Other people talk about it only taking 30 minutes or more or less.)

If you need any help with rooting...simply visit the "Evo 4G - All Things Root" and create a new thread. People here are nice and friendly and will NOT get on your case for being a newbie to this or for asking any question you ask. I have asked all sorts of dumb and illegal questions and moderators have kindly warned me and the worse I've ever gotten from anyone was a simple sarcastic remark that made me laugh hahaha.

If you need any other help, feel free to inbox me too. I'm not a pro, but I may be able to help with basic rooting needs such as flashing ROMs, rooting, etc. YouTube and Google are also great places to go if you would rather root manually or with unrEVOked software. Also check out my threads created by me as well as threads I have commented too...lots of great information to be found in both.
ndh777 is offline  
Last edited by ndh777; March 8th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ndh777 For This Useful Post:
marybee (March 9th, 2011)
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #106 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 92
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Send a message via MSN to knightwolf123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndh777 View Post
Really...rooting sounds harder than it actually is. Honestly, here were my steps...

1. Visit unrevoked.com
2. Download software for phone
3. Plug in phone when commanded
4. Wait (I walked away, watched tv, played games, etc.)
5. Came back 3 and a half hours later and BAM!...it was rooted I swear...it was as easy as that with unrEVOked. (Your root should NOT take you 3 and half hours though. My phone was one of a kind with this long as it took. Other people talk about it only taking 30 minutes or more or less.)
.

i did the same steps, watched it all happen ( dont reccomend it) and it took like 30 minutes exactly and that was with myns warm twopointwo and the radios installed right after the root completed
knightwolf123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knightwolf123 For This Useful Post:
marybee (March 9th, 2011)
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #107 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,614
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

i am in a different school of thought..

i like to do the rooting via command lines.. and see what each step does.
so I understand it more... i has come in handy to understand some of the other mods and what they want to be done

rooting for me.. if you can follow instructions to back a cake.. you can root.

I dont like clockwork and rom managers either...
when these fail you and you are stuck.. you have no idea what to do!
dan330 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #108 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndh777 View Post
To be honest...the screen on the Evo is almost invincible.

I have had the phone for months, since August 2010, and have NEVER put a screen protector on it. The screen is just as nice as it was first day. It does get a bit fingerprinty if you know what I mean, where all you will see is fingerprints over the screen, but after a quick rub down with your shirt and a few huffs from the breath...it looks aokay

That's my story for the screen though...others may have other stories. I do like my friend's Epic screen protector that he got at the mall...you know, one of those booths that offers to put a screen on it, simply because it won't slip out of your hands and it provides a bit more security from people who may look over shoulders haha not perfect...but better than nothing if you know what I mean?

As for a case...I got a simple rubber case that wraps around the phone. I have dropped my phone a few times on carpet, tile, concrete, and other places and not a single dent in the phone nor has the phone experience damage internally or whatever. I got mine from our local swap meet for less than $10. It was the very first accessory I bought for the phone as it just seemed so delicate in my hands.

Really...rooting sounds harder than it actually is. Honestly, here were my steps...

1. Visit unrevoked.com
2. Download software for phone
3. Plug in phone when commanded
4. Wait (I walked away, watched tv, played games, etc.)
5. Came back 3 and a half hours later and BAM!...it was rooted I swear...it was as easy as that with unrEVOked. (Your root should NOT take you 3 and half hours though. My phone was one of a kind with this long as it took. Other people talk about it only taking 30 minutes or more or less.)

If you need any help with rooting...simply visit the "Evo 4G - All Things Root" and create a new thread. People here are nice and friendly and will NOT get on your case for being a newbie to this or for asking any question you ask. I have asked all sorts of dumb and illegal questions and moderators have kindly warned me and the worse I've ever gotten from anyone was a simple sarcastic remark that made me laugh hahaha.

If you need any other help, feel free to inbox me too. I'm not a pro, but I may be able to help with basic rooting needs such as flashing ROMs, rooting, etc. YouTube and Google are also great places to go if you would rather root manually or with unrEVOked software. Also check out my threads created by me as well as threads I have commented too...lots of great information to be found in both.
Wow, seriously on the screen? Cool. I really don't like the skins for the
screen, have one on my Pre and somtimes they get bubbles etc.

Ok, so I am gonna check out unrEVOked, sounds pretty easy I guess. Do you think I should wait a few weeks to root after I get my phone to make sure the phone works OK and is not going to give me any problems before
I root seeing that it voids the warranty and all?

Oh, and where do I find the software once I get my phone rooted for the free
wireless tether app? Will it be in the app catalog?

Thanks everyone of all the help, I am starting to feel at home here!!
marybee is offline  
Last edited by marybee; March 9th, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #109 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ndh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Posts: 868
 
Device(s): Sprint:Samsung Galaxy SIII-retired; HTC Evo 4G-retired; Samsung Moment-retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 487
Thanked 187 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybee View Post
Wow, seriously on the screen? Cool. I really don't like the skins for the
screen, have one on my Pre and somtimes they get bubbles etc.

Ok, so I am gonna check out unrEVOked, sounds pretty easy I guess. Do you think I should wait a few weeks to root after I get my phone to make sure the phone works OK and is not going to give me any problems before
I root seeing that it voids the warranty and all?

Oh, and where do I find the software once I get my phone rooted for the free
wireless tether app? Will it be in the app catalog?

Thanks everyone of all the help, I am starting to feel at home here!!
Not a problem, hope you enjoy your stay

It depends on some people. Some people don't mind having an unrooted phone forever or just for a while, others, like me, love the challenge of unlocking their phone to its full potential immediately. I think it might be a good idea to wait only because you are new to Android. I had an Android phone before the Evo so I was already pretty comfortable. And while you wait on rooting, maybe you can search through some of the threads, and read some of the stuff at unrEVOked's website. Also read up on what rooting does exactly. It's pretty long to explain here in a short summary, but if you'd like, I can describe it as long as necessary. But you do make a good point...but from what I've seen...most issues with the phones that come from the factories can be seen almost immediately when turned on for the first time. Things such as the phone rebooting constantly, or the screen doesn't turn on, or something like that that would actually prevent you from being able to even root even if you wanted to. But that wouldn't be a bad idea...just take some time getting adjusted to the phone for a while then root. We're always here when you're ready to though or have any questions

Your warranty is only really voided if you let Sprint know that you have a rooted phone. So if you tell someone over the phone at Sprint or you go into a store and show them or tell them that you have a rooted phone, that's when you'll have a voided warranty. Once rooted, if you don't like the root or need to have it checked out, you can unroot it about as easy as it was to root. Truthfully, I have never unrooted my phone so I am speaking on what others told me about unrooting.

The wifi tether will be in the "app catalog" lol It'll be called "Market" when you get your phone. You simply will go into "Market", and search for "wifi tether" and there will probably be about 3-4 different wifi tethering apps. The first one will probably be a green wifi signal, and will just say "Wifi Tether"...that is the most basic tethering app that rooted Android users will use. I use one called "Barnacle" and it's the same stuff...just different name ahah.

Ah, okay, well that will be good for you Seeing as you hardly leave the house except for the store, you probably won't even need the case. Once you get the phone and hold it, you'll know if you want a case or not and if you want a screen protector. My friend's screen on his Epic was done very nicely with no bubbles. They did it at the booth in the mall for him and all he did was pay them...can't remember the price though.

But anyway, yeah. Hope I've helped in some way.
ndh777 is offline  
Last edited by ndh777; March 9th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ndh777 For This Useful Post:
marybee (March 9th, 2011)
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #110 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndh777 View Post
But anyway, yeah. Hope I've helped in some way.
You my friend have been a HUGE help! Now I only have to wait 9 more days to get the darn phone!

I think I am going to still get one of the Seidio Innocase Active cases so I can have a prettier color then black and basically in-case I am a bit
on the clumsy side one day and drop my phone. I do some camping in the summer and it does help to have some protection.


I am not going to get a car charger right now because I think I can use the charger I have that I am using for my Palm Pre. I read that basically the chargers are the same for both phones... I hope that is right!
marybee is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marybee For This Useful Post:
ndh777 (March 26th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #111 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ndh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Posts: 868
 
Device(s): Sprint:Samsung Galaxy SIII-retired; HTC Evo 4G-retired; Samsung Moment-retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 487
Thanked 187 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybee View Post
You my friend have been a HUGE help! Now I only have to wait 9 more days to get the darn phone!

I think I am going to still get one of the Seidio Innocase Active cases so I can have a prettier color then black and basically in-case I am a bit
on the clumsy side one day and drop my phone. I do some camping in the summer and it does help to have some protection.


I am not going to get a car charger right now because I think I can use the charger I have that I am using for my Palm Pre. I read that basically the chargers are the same for both phones... I hope that is right!
lol!!!! OOPS! I totally forgot that you are right...my friends have the Palm Pixi and Pre for Sprint and my charger works fine for their phones so yeah, you are good to go in that area

Maybe search around on Amazon too. I found some really great looking accessories from there. I got a very good pack from there with all sorts of things like a screen protector, car charger, wall charger, data cable, even a suction thing for the car so I could use it as a GPS!!...on Sprint's website, that alone would've cost me over $40...I paid less than $20 for the whole package lol

Haha well enjoy the wait! It shouldn't be too long. I got my Evo in less than 3 days.
ndh777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #112 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Wooo-Hoooo! I could not wait! I called Sprint CS and told them the volume button is not working on my Pre and when could I get an upgrade? Well, my upgrade
is not till March 18th (next Friday) and so they are giving me an upgrade early and I may have my new EVO in white as early as tomorrow!!! (maybe Friday latest). The BEST part is that I only have to pay $124.99 instead of the $199 I would have paid at the Sprint store next week AND they are just adding it on to my monthly bill!

I am so happy and excited right now....I have got to go shopping for a new case and stuff!

So look out, I will be rooting very soon!
marybee is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marybee For This Useful Post:
JunBringer (March 9th, 2011), ndh777 (March 26th, 2011)
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #113 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 337
 
Device(s): Sprint EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Welcome to the EVO family, marybee. We hope you love the phone as much as we all have.
Brian Rubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian Rubin For This Useful Post:
BenChase7 (March 11th, 2011), marybee (March 9th, 2011), ndh777 (March 26th, 2011)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM   #114 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
SteveVHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 87
 
Device(s): HTC EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Bye Bye Moment......EVO in da house now...

Finally got the EVO.
I literally took my Moment and smashed it into a hundred pieces as soon as I got the EVO....LOL
Went to Best Buy Mobile for my upgrade yesterday......and got a killer deal....
Got the new black EVO, Zagg screen protector, PT Platinum case and holster and a car charger for $99.
The hottest girl was working there and discounted the phone from $199 to $99 and threw in all the extras for free.
I am a happy man.....
SteveVHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM   #115 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,614
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

did you get her number??? otherwise... fail..

but congrats on the win for the evo
dan330 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM   #116 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

you should have asked if she would let you take a pic of her with your new Evo in order to "test the camera."
__________________

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Help me out: Sign up with Dropbox and we both get 500MB extra space. Thanks!
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novox77 For This Useful Post:
Pengwinn (March 23rd, 2011)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #117 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dirty-O, NE
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): Samsung Moment, HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 57
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

LOL that ^ would have been smooth
Pengwinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #118 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CarrieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 784
 
Device(s): SGS3, EVO 3D, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 491
Thanked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Default

I've had my EVO since August and I still love it. Once i rooted and ROMmed it was like getting a whole new phone! I have an upgrade i can use snd while the newer phones seem pretty awesome I'm not really in any hurry.
CarrieK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #119 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Shouting from the roof tops!!!

I've had my Evo for about 6 months and I SWEAR, I love it more, everyday! Of course it took me buying the extended batt early on but once batt life wasn't an issue....ownership became pure bliss. Not rooted but highly customized and did not do the 3.70 bloatware update (thanks to this forum)!!!

Wife has the iPhone 4 and IMHO the UI is childish compared to my v2.2
Just felt the unexplainable need to profess my love for this phone and the OS!

Peace out!
-D
dajael is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM   #120 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 494
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G/Beast
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 164 Times in 53 Posts
Default Welcome

Just wanted to welcome all the noobies who received their first EVO 4G in March. Welcome to Android and the best operating system on the market. Got questions, do not hesitate to ask.
Slick1020 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM   #121 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,684
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,957
Thanked 1,959 Times in 856 Posts
Default Just switched to the Evo 4G

I just arrived home after picking up my new htc Evo 4G. I've been playing with this thing and 4G is fast, think I might need a seatbelt. I'm a happy camper
ardchoille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM   #122 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): LTEVO, EVO 4G (Wifey's), Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 171
Thanked 117 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Welcome aboard!
3volut1on is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:05 PM   #123 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Posts: 59
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4Gs
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I just arrived home after picking up my new htc Evo 4G. I've been playing with this thing and 4G is fast, think I might need a seatbelt. I'm a happy camper
Are you upgrading to the 3D?
T-44Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM   #124 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
toomuchgame441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,080
 
Device(s): Sprint Galaxy Nexus rooted, iPad 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 95
Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts
onlytony441
Default

Evo is a hell of a device, it will be hard to really get bored with it. I always find new things to use on my Evo, and when you root... well that just opens a whole new door.
toomuchgame441 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM   #125 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CarrieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 784
 
Device(s): SGS3, EVO 3D, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 491
Thanked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Welcome to the club You're gonna love it, and if you do decide to root you will enter into a whole new realm. The possibilities are endless...
CarrieK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #126 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,684
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,957
Thanked 1,959 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-44Guy View Post
Are you upgrading to the 3D?
3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchgame441 View Post
Evo is a hell of a device, it will be hard to really get bored with it. I always find new things to use on my Evo, and when you root... well that just opens a whole new door.
Indeed! I rooted my G1, Cliq and Vibrant and loved them even more after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
Welcome to the club You're gonna love it, and if you do decide to root you will enter into a whole new realm. The possibilities are endless...
Yes, I've been thinking about rooting. Will have to do more research but I'm sure I'll take the plunge.
ardchoille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #127 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
toomuchgame441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,080
 
Device(s): Sprint Galaxy Nexus rooted, iPad 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 95
Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts
onlytony441
Default Appreciation to the 1 & only... EVO 4G

Just taking time out to give the Evo all the appreciation it deserves. I recently sold my rooted Nook Color which I transformed into a tablet running 2.3. I was great... I loved browsing and the way my multiple games looked on it. It was great for someone who wanted some Tablet play but didn't want to throw all of his chips in (Yes I know the NC wasn't a tab but hey, it acted like one by the time I was done with it). But slowly but surely, I found myself coming back to my Evo...

First it was just texting and occasionally Facebook. Then I realized that some of my favorite sites just plain ran better on my Evo compared to my Nook. Soon I was using my Evo full speed again while my Nook collected dust. Ultimately I put my Nook on eBay and returned back to my Android Beast.

That experience allowed me to truly see how valuable the Evo is and what a work horse it could be. And the inclusion of the Netflix app is pure awesomeness. /rant
toomuchgame441 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #128 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

So I just got a new (possibly refurb) Evo through insurance and am keeping it unrooted. It feels great! I'm rockin' Launcher Pro with the scrollable dock and it seems much smoother than when I was rooted using Myn's 2.2 and Warm Z.
__________________
TechBringer.tumblr.com
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #129 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,614
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
So I just got a new (possibly refurb) Evo through insurance and am keeping it unrooted. It feels great! I'm rockin' Launcher Pro with the scrollable dock and it seems much smoother than when I was rooted using Myn's 2.2 and Warm Z.
maybe
because you have not fully reloaded all the apps back on it.


also.. if you load a basic AOSP custom ROM.. with launcher pro...
this will also put evo on a diet by taking sense totally out... and help a lot too
dan330 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #130 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JunBringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,175
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Thanks: 688
Thanked 331 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
maybe
because you have not fully reloaded all the apps back on it.


also.. if you load a basic AOSP custom ROM.. with launcher pro...
this will also put evo on a diet by taking sense totally out... and help a lot too
I have everything reinstalled now and it still feels great. I'll probably end up rooting again down the road, but I'm just taking a little break from it
JunBringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #131 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,684
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,957
Thanked 1,959 Times in 856 Posts
Default This phone is a work horse!

I just ran into a couple more ROMs to try, now my "to try" list is getting longer! I'm running a Gingerbread ROM with full Sense 3.0 and it's beautiful!

How many phones have been released thus far with Gingerbread and Sense 3.0? The dev community sure puts the manufacturers to shame, I'll say that much.

This phone reminds me of the htc g1.. devs still making ROMs for it long after the manufacturer stopped supporting it.

Mad props to the developer community, you folks ROCK!
ardchoille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #132 (permalink)
Member
 
onpointG35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Gender: Male
Posts: 280
 
Device(s): Droid 3, HTC EVO, HTC HERO, Moto Cliq XT, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4
Carrier: TMO

Thanks: 44
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Default

What rom are you using, I recently (a month and a half ago) rooted my evo with CM7 and I havent looked back. I heard a couple people tried using the new sense but it was running slow.
onpointG35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #133 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,614
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

i am on Myn and Team's new project Synergy... 2.3.3 with Sense 2.o and parts of 3.0.
It is in beta testing.. not yet released to public.

Synergy is the base ROM...it is designed to work on 4 different HTC phones.. so it is currently gimped down to support HTC Incredible (only has 512mb RAM). after they finish Synergy, each team member will take it to the next level for their individual devices. Of course Myn's will tailor it for the EVO.

I have it running on mine.. it is smooth as butter and solid as a rock. It is my daily driver.

Virus is one of the dev on the team.. and I think he has a ROM out based on it.
Go take a look over in XDA.
dan330 is online now  
Last edited by dan330; June 13th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan330 For This Useful Post:
onpointG35 (June 13th, 2011)
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #134 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
toomuchgame441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,080
 
Device(s): Sprint Galaxy Nexus rooted, iPad 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 95
Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts
onlytony441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I just ran into a couple more ROMs to try, now my "to try" list is getting longer! I'm running a Gingerbread ROM with full Sense 3.0 and it's beautiful!

How many phones have been released thus far with Gingerbread and Sense 3.0? The dev community sure puts the manufacturers to shame, I'll say that much.

This phone reminds me of the htc g1.. devs still making ROMs for it long after the manufacturer stopped supporting it.

Mad props to the developer community, you folks ROCK!
Well I wouldnt say all of that. I mean the EVO just got a whole official OS update like what? A week and half ago? I'd say the manufacturer AND especially the Dev community have kept the mighty EVO fresh. But seeing as i updated and got a new gingerbread and sense 2.1 & 3.0 ROM from MikG, I'm in ROM heaven.
toomuchgame441 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #135 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Happy with Latest Upgrade

Just wanted to share the good news about the latest evo upgrade. I was scared to death to upgrade because I was one of those whose phone turned into a brick during the first update. What made matters worse was hearing the horror stories from some people about owning bricks after the latest upgrade. Still, there seemed to be a preponderance of positive reports, also. I decided to take the dive. After I initiated the upgrade, I didn't touch the phone until it was finished (took quite a while so be prepared to wait. Go wifi if you can.

Boy am I glad I upgraded. My battery lasts twice as long (rough estimate). On low usage days I got three days out of a charge (extended battery). The other really cool thing is the quick start up time. It used to take around 45 seconds (guess) before I could use my phone. Now, the phone is up in a few seconds! For me, that is awesome. I didn't lose any apps that I am aware of and the phone functions smoothly. Putting the phone in vibrate is less easy though because that feature is missing from where it used to be. That is the only thing missing that I miss. I have a mute app that works very well, however and you can still go into set-up to get vibrate only. If I notice anything else I will share it. Good luck! I love this phone!
chumn54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #136 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,614
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumn54 View Post
Just wanted to share the good news about the latest evo upgrade. I was scared to death to upgrade because I was one of those whose phone turned into a brick during the first update. What made matters worse was hearing the horror stories from some people about owning bricks after the latest upgrade. Still, there seemed to be a preponderance of positive reports, also. I decided to take the dive. After I initiated the upgrade, I didn't touch the phone until it was finished (took quite a while so be prepared to wait. Go wifi if you can.

Boy am I glad I upgraded. My battery lasts twice as long (rough estimate). On low usage days I got three days out of a charge (extended battery). The other really cool thing is the quick start up time. It used to take around 45 seconds (guess) before I could use my phone. Now, the phone is up in a few seconds! For me, that is awesome. I didn't lose any apps that I am aware of and the phone functions smoothly. Putting the phone in vibrate is less easy though because that feature is missing from where it used to be. That is the only thing missing that I miss. I have a mute app that works very well, however and you can still go into set-up to get vibrate only. If I notice anything else I will share it. Good luck! I love this phone!
happy days!!!!

welcome to the forum
dan330 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #137 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Oh wow...im hating hard. just got my phone from Wirefly for the EVO and now they have it for free!

Just my luck...oh well hopefully someone can get some use for it.

heres the link: http://www.wirefly.com/r.aspx?Referringdomain=wirefly_fb&p=HTC+EVO+4G&c=S print&Mobistop=yes.
lgonzal3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #138 (permalink)
Member
 
onpointG35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Gender: Male
Posts: 280
 
Device(s): Droid 3, HTC EVO, HTC HERO, Moto Cliq XT, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4
Carrier: TMO

Thanks: 44
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Thats good, I read on this forum that vibrant actually uses more power because it has to do more work to vibrate the whole phone compared to leaving it on loud or silence. Maybe that's why the function isn't there, that's just my Jerry Springer final thought.
onpointG35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #139 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,154
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,831
Thanked 834 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzal3 View Post
Oh wow...im hating hard. just got my phone from Wirefly for the EVO and now they have it for free!

Just my luck...oh well hopefully someone can get some use for it.

heres the link: http://www.wirefly.com/r.aspx?Referringdomain=wirefly_fb&p=HTC+EVO+4G&c=S print&Mobistop=yes.

Best Buy also has it for free. Amazon has it for $.01 (Both for new customers w/2 yr contract)
__________________
Samsung Tab 3 (7 in) • Deletrious ROM V1.6 /TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean ROM 4.1.2/Samsung Galaxy Note2 • Temasek v37 kitkat (4.4.2)/HTC EVO 4G • Decks Reloaded ROM/EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM/Samsung Galaxy Note I (i717)•CM11 (4.4.2 kitkat) /Samsung Galaxy S3 •DanKang 4.3.1 ROM
tube517 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #140 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

First got the Evo in January of this year. It's been almost 6 months and I effing love this phone.

Now, I think I'd like to root it... But I'm still deciding if it's worth the hassle. I'm pretty confident in my tech level, but I'm also cautious by nature. I don't have the money to get another one if by some chance I end up accidently bricking it.
virilevocalist is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to virilevocalist For This Useful Post:
BHalbrooks (June 19th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #141 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
BiohazardVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sin City
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): Then: First G1 Now: Huawei Ascend, rooted and Metro PCS 2.2 Future: EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 94
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I started out with the first Android, the G1. I went back and forth with some non-Android till I got my Ascend from Metro PCS. I found out today that my future Bro-in-law is getting me an Evo 4G for me and putting me on his account for dad's day, plus he's getting one and I'll only have to pay $65 a month, just $20 more then I'm spending now... Plus I'll get Sprint tv, which is an awesome addition, had it on a Blackberry and I'm pumped to see it on the 4.3" screen in 4G as opposed to the tiny screen on the everbuffering 3G...
BiohazardVideo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #142 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
tube517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,154
 
Device(s): Samsung GTab 3 7.0,Samsung GNote2 (i317),EVO 4G, Toshiba Thrive, Galaxy Note LTE,EVO Shift
Carrier: T-Mobile,Google Voice

Thanks: 1,831
Thanked 834 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiohazardVideo View Post
I started out with the first Android, the G1. I went back and forth with some non-Android till I got my Ascend from Metro PCS. I found out today that my future Bro-in-law is getting me an Evo 4G for me and putting me on his account for dad's day, plus he's getting one and I'll only have to pay $65 a month, just $20 more then I'm spending now... Plus I'll get Sprint tv, which is an awesome addition, had it on a Blackberry and I'm pumped to see it on the 4.3" screen in 4G as opposed to the tiny screen on the everbuffering 3G...
Sprint TV looks really good on the EVO. Netflix (once it's fixed), TV.com, Crackle, WatchESPN, HBOtoGO (if you have HBO), so many to watch
tube517 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #143 (permalink)
Member
 
onpointG35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Gender: Male
Posts: 280
 
Device(s): Droid 3, HTC EVO, HTC HERO, Moto Cliq XT, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4
Carrier: TMO

Thanks: 44
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virilevocalist View Post
First got the Evo in January of this year. It's been almost 6 months and I effing love this phone.

Now, I think I'd like to root it... But I'm still deciding if it's worth the hassle. I'm pretty confident in my tech level, but I'm also cautious by nature. I don't have the money to get another one if by some chance I end up accidently bricking it.
Thats a given being cautious since bricking ur phone usually means money outta pocket if u want a new one. My best advice would b trust urself n trust the site u go 2, the process is painless n the outcome is overwhelming. Ur already at the perfect site to help researching the next step is to take the leap n do it
onpointG35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onpointG35 For This Useful Post:
virilevocalist (August 18th, 2011)
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #144 (permalink)
Member
 
ironman187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In your head.
Gender: Male
Posts: 200
 
Device(s): HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3, Evo 4G rooted using as Wifi homephone/GPS.
Carrier: Sadly, Sprint.

Thanks: 44
Thanked 81 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Yup, LOVE the Evo 4G. I just switched over from Verizon (who used to have all the good phones) and an ENV 2. I Almost stayed with Verizon (the plans between verizon and Sprint would have cost me about the same since I was going to be upgrading a grandfathered plan. But the choice was easy once I saw that Best buy had the Evo 4G for free with a new 2 year Sprint plan. So grabbed one for the wife and myself. I must say, the size of the screen is a plus, I was leery about using a touchscreen keyboard, but on this phone, it just feels natural. On Verizon, I would have gotten the Samsung Gem...it was a no brainer. Now...I just need to wait for somebody to root Gingerbread...
ironman187 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #145 (permalink)
Member
 
onpointG35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Gender: Male
Posts: 280
 
Device(s): Droid 3, HTC EVO, HTC HERO, Moto Cliq XT, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4
Carrier: TMO

Thanks: 44
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Congrats but what do you mean root gingerbread, if u r waiting to root ur Evo to add gingerbread you shouldn't have to since they released it
onpointG35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #146 (permalink)
Member
 
ironman187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In your head.
Gender: Male
Posts: 200
 
Device(s): HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3, Evo 4G rooted using as Wifi homephone/GPS.
Carrier: Sadly, Sprint.

Thanks: 44
Thanked 81 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onpointG35 View Post
Congrats but what do you mean root gingerbread, if u r waiting to root ur Evo to add gingerbread you shouldn't have to since they released it
No, I just got my Evo less than a week ago, it already has gingerbread on it, and right now, there is no way to root it.
ironman187 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #147 (permalink)
New Member
 
broad_st_bully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Philly, PA.
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Rooted EVO 4G: rEVOlution, ROM: MikG Sense 2.1-3.0 v2.5, Kernel: Aggressive Freedom 0.8.5
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

LOVE LOVE LOVE my EVO 4G!!!
it was great when I got it but now that I rooted it & can make it do my bidding with ROMs & kernels it's like a brand new phone....stupid-fast, awesome battery life and all around bad-ass....
broad_st_bully is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to broad_st_bully For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (September 11th, 2011)
Old September 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #148 (permalink)
Member
 
onpointG35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Gender: Male
Posts: 280
 
Device(s): Droid 3, HTC EVO, HTC HERO, Moto Cliq XT, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4
Carrier: TMO

Thanks: 44
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Thats exactly how I felt when I rooted my evo, have fun trying them
onpointG35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #149 (permalink)
New Member
 
monica4567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm specially in favor of htc evo 4g. I always wanted a big screen after using an old Nokia one. So great! My dream comes true.
monica4567 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #150 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 266
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default It's been about a yr and a half and I'm still lovin the Evo

I have found my self over the past few months really looking to upgrade to one of the new dual core phones that have come out lately and was really hopping the now iPhone 4S was going to have a larger screen.

But as I've looked into other phones I can't help but see no reason to upgrade. No doubt the dual cores are a nice upgrade, but I don't see the need or want to drop $200-$300 for what seems to be a marginal upgrade in my mind.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

My only problem right now is my phone is lacking serious internal memory and I keep getting the low storage message and Sprints network is really sucking right now both 3g and 4 g wise with spotty reception and I live right around 5 towers.

But other than that I still think the Evo compares very nicely to the other devices out right now. Hopefully come June when my sprint contract is up LTE will but up for Sprint and maybe 10 MP cameras will be out and 2.0 dual core phones will be ready Just hoping.

Sorry felt like sharing.
Captain Sexy is offline  
Last edited by Frisco; October 11th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC EVO 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When Sprint announced their first ever 4G handset at CTIA in March 2010, they dropped a bombshell on the mobile world. The HTC Evo 4G is a device that introduces a lot of firsts when compared to other North American handsets. This is the first Andr... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.