Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wndrshwzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 67
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Cool iPhone Killer?

remember the instinct commercials? i wonder if sprint is gonna go aggressive again with similar ads for the evo...since the evo really is an iphone/bberry/winmo/palm/nokia killer

lmao

wndrshwzn is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cabbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): HTC Hero, HTC EVO4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 89
Thanked 568 Times in 123 Posts
Default

plz delete thread
cabbie is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cabbie For This Useful Post:
Android 17 (April 17th, 2010), Covert_Death (April 18th, 2010), wndrshwzn (April 16th, 2010)
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
momoceio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,235
 
Device(s): EVO 3d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 106
Thanked 151 Times in 95 Posts
Default

I don't think they'll be that dumb this time around...
__________________
"Come to the dark side, we have androids"

My Online Business Card
My Blog
My Twitter
momoceio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 564
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 62
Thanked 99 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Would be a stupid move comparing an older phone with a brand new one. Especially since the release date of this phone will likely be close to the release date of the next iPhone.
legacy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
neodorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,113
 
Device(s): HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 115
Thanked 277 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Hope not. iPhone is an established brand with a lot going for it. The kind of work and money they put into that thing is insane. The problem you run into is that you can either advertise like the Droid and point out the differences or you totally ignore the elephant in the room and John Q. Public assumes you're not even in the same league.

I think they really need good ads and not just spinning phones talking about blazing 4G speeds or whatever. They need to show off the slickness and how cool it is to have a giant screen or do live broadcasts or provide a hotspot.

Also they can only focus so much on 4G because otherwise TONS of people will be pissed off when they realize they don't have it. It's a tricky thing to do, being the first at something and I honestly have no idea how Sprint or HTC will do this. Hopefully HTC does the marketing because Sprint pretty much sucks at it.
neodorian is offline  
Last edited by neodorian; April 17th, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
wndrshwzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 67
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default

ok i'll get right on that. lol. deleting right now
wndrshwzn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
SprintFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,547
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 192
Thanked 658 Times in 289 Posts
Default

You don't have to delete anything....

Edit: Its a legitimate question: How will Sprint attempt to "deal" with the iPhone....it's the biggest single name out there.
SprintFun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

If they go hard in the iPjone like they did with the Instinct they'll fail miserably, yes this device knocks the socks off the 3G or 3GS but remember a few weeks after this phone gets released the new monster comes out so I'd choose my words carefully.
__________________
- Current HTC Thunderbolt user, near future HTC Evo 4G LTE user! Apple what?
LatinP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,287
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

If Sprint concentrates on conveying the message to the general public about what the EVO can do (that no other phone can), that's definitely a good start. Not only that, but they have to show people how easy those functions are to use and why they'd be beneficial to them. Of course, WiMax would probably be a big part of that.

No matter what, I personally don't believe that ANY one mobile device will be good enough to be an "iPhone killer." The iPhone has had name/brand recognition from the start with the device AND OS. Truth is, the general public flocks to the device because it's convenient and trendy (e.g. "Everybody has one"; "It's Fun"). When it first came out, people didn't have to ask "Who makes that?" or "What is that?" And the fact that the device, overall, lived up to its expectations and more, helped drive the marketing without Apple or AT&T having to dump any additional money into spreading the word.

I personally feel like the real competition will be the mobile operating systems, not necessarily the devices. If the Android OS continues to grow and get better/easier/more fun, I think it could get to a point where people will ask, "Do you have an iPhone or an Android phone?"
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Lovingthesonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
If they go hard in the iPjone like they did with the Instinct they'll fail miserably, yes this device knocks the socks off the 3G or 3GS but remember a few weeks after this phone gets released the new monster comes out so I'd choose my words carefully.
I highly doubt the new iphone will have anything to compare with the Evo4G
Lovingthesonic is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
acp
Senior Member
 
acp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 996
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 83
Thanked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovingthesonic View Post
I highly doubt the new iphone will have anything to compare with the Evo4G
4g will be the only advantage the Evo has

4.3in screen is based on preference and HDMI port is not going to be the deciding factor for the majority of people.
acp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,287
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
4g will be the only advantage the Evo has

4.3in screen is based on preference and HDMI port is not going to be the deciding factor for the majority of people.
What's the processor speed on the new iPhone? I don't know much about the specs on iPhones, but if the EVO 1ghz processor is much faster than the iPhone's, that's a pretty good selling point to the general public.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARR22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Some where in Iowa. But born and rasied in Austin TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 599
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 126
Thanked 126 Times in 84 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
4g will be the only advantage the Evo has

4.3in screen is based on preference and HDMI port is not going to be the deciding factor for the majority of people.

?
ARR22 is offline  
Last edited by ARR22; April 16th, 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: omissions
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARR22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Some where in Iowa. But born and rasied in Austin TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 599
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 126
Thanked 126 Times in 84 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
4g will be the only advantage the Evo has

4.3in screen is based on preference and HDMI port is not going to be the deciding factor for the majority of people.

I guess you forgot the built in wifi router, or the 8mp camera or the 720p HD recording, or the 1ghz processor, or the front facing camera. Should I go on? Are you nuts? This phone is fully loaded.
ARR22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Eguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside your monitor.
Posts: 485
 
Device(s): GS4: CM 10.2, N7 2013: CM 10.2, Xoom WiFi (Stock JB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
4g will be the only advantage the Evo has

4.3in screen is based on preference and HDMI port is not going to be the deciding factor for the majority of people.
LOL.

I would get the EVO if it only had 3G. 4G makes little difference.
Eguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
acp
Senior Member
 
acp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 996
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 83
Thanked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR22 View Post
I guess you forgot the built in wifi router, or the 8mp camera or the 720p HD recording, or the 1ghz processor, or the front facing camera. Should I go on? Are you nuts? This phone is fully loaded.
research a little bit and you will see the iphone HD is going to be a worthy opponent, but lol I can't wait for the Evo too, so I'll just walk away now because you have put me in my place
acp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 840
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 or whatever the latest phone is
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 341
Thanked 432 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
What's the processor speed on the new iPhone? I don't know much about the specs on iPhones, but if the EVO 1ghz processor is much faster than the iPhone's, that's a pretty good selling point to the general public.
I've heard it will be the Apple A4 chip based on the ARM cortex A9 and will have the Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX545 for the graphics part. It's just speculation, but there's a good chance Apple isn't backing down from any hardware challenges. Here's some links:

AppleInsider | iPad's custom Apple A4 processor includes ARM-based CPU, GPU

iPhone 4G to Get New Graphics Chip? [Imagination Technologies Announces new PowerVR SGX545 Mobile GPU] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities
cary328is is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Eguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside your monitor.
Posts: 485
 
Device(s): GS4: CM 10.2, N7 2013: CM 10.2, Xoom WiFi (Stock JB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
I've heard it will be the Apple A4 chip based on the ARM cortex A9 and will have the Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX545 for the graphics part. It's just speculation, but there's a good chance Apple isn't backing down from any hardware challenges. Here's some links:

AppleInsider | iPad's custom Apple A4 processor includes ARM-based CPU, GPU

iPhone 4G to Get New Graphics Chip? [Imagination Technologies Announces new PowerVR SGX545 Mobile GPU] TFTS Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities
Yeah, if Apple puts the A4 in the new iPhone, it will be faster than the EVO's Snapdragon. Does it really matter though? The EVO flies with the Snapdragon. The new iPhone certainly will not have a 8 device hotspot.
Eguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR22 View Post
I guess you forgot the built in wifi router, or the 8mp camera or the 720p HD recording, or the 1ghz processor, or the front facing camera. Should I go on? Are you nuts? This phone is fully loaded.
The speculated leaked spec sheet which is far from official says the new iphone will have a 1ghz snapdragon 8mp camera with 720p video not the front facing cam (I don't think nothing is official yet) and as far as working as a router this is a very small selling point because people will not be willing to pay extra to feed other people internet access. Their dermagraphic is a much younger crowd who wants cool eye candy.

The one thing the iphone does have and it's a huge selling point is nothing more than a sticker of a bitten Apple and my god does that logo sell phones, it could be a wooden box with a firecracker inside if Steve Jobs says it's cool it will sell at least half a million units on day one.

I'm FAR from an Apple fan and no I will NOT be buying an iSuck but I'm just stating the truth here about sales from an unbiased prospective.

Edit:
PS: About the near future of smart phones, stop looking at a 1ghz snapdragon to be cutting edge the majority of upcoming 2010-2011 smart phones will be equip with 1ghz or equivalent processor. Some are even rumored to be equip with 1.5ghz dual core processor (aka future upcoming HTC Scorpion) what was one day cutting edge could just become a standard a few months down the line that's how competitive this market is.
LatinP is offline  
Last edited by LatinP; April 16th, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Lovingthesonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I don't think it matters. Iphone lovers are sheep, they will always flock to apple every year. Android is where its at!
Lovingthesonic is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Eguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside your monitor.
Posts: 485
 
Device(s): GS4: CM 10.2, N7 2013: CM 10.2, Xoom WiFi (Stock JB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
The speculated leaked spec sheet which is far from official says the new iphone will have a 1ghz snapdragon 8mp camera with 720p video not the front facing cam (I don't think nothing is official yet) and as far as working as a router this is a very small selling point because people will not be willing to pay extra to feed other people internet access.

The one thing the iphone does have and it's a huge selling point is nothing more than a sticker of a bitten Apple and my god does that logo sell phones, it could be a wooden box with a firecracker inside if Steve Jobs says it's cool it will sell at least half a million units on day one.

I'm FAR from an Apple fan and no I will NOT be buying an iSuck but I'm just stating the truth here about sales from an unbiased prospective.
Not a chance it will have a Snapdragon. Apple doesn't use Qualcomm chipsets.
Eguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Tasmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 237
 
Device(s): AT&T SGSII (mine) Sprint HTC Evo 3D (step-droid)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I don't care for Apple products myself, mostly because they're generally way out of my budget. My fiance (a confirmed Macophile) swears the quality makes it worth while, but too high (plus AT&T's high plan prices) is too high. I also love of the freedom of open source platform; I don't need Apple to protect me from things they perceive as threats. So iphone killer? Eh, who cares? If you want customization, you go with Android. If you've got money to burn and like being spoon-fed your apps, you go with iphone. Whatever makes you happy.
Tasmin is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasmin For This Useful Post:
echoota (April 17th, 2010)
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
Not a chance it will have a Snapdragon. Apple doesn't use Qualcomm chipsets.
Exclusive: Qualcomm to Power iPhone | Tech Innovations | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/20/apple.tablet.iphone.may.get.cdma.and.evdo/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/jan/03/1b3iphone222320-rumors-flying-next-iphone-will-run/?zIndex=31292
LatinP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 840
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 or whatever the latest phone is
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 341
Thanked 432 Times in 183 Posts
Default

In this case, even if Apple's specs look better on paper - they are still strictly locked down by Apple's developer policies (um no flash, java development? WTF). At least Google and Android provide YOU with a user experience that is more liberating (we don't need to JAIL break anything if we're not in JAIL in the first place). I know there's gonna be the arguments that we have to do a bunch of stuff to customize ROMs for android etc etc. But over all come on....it's GOOGLE for christs sake. All their services are practically free, awesome, and they listen to what their users want. They don't DICTATE what we should use on OUR phones.
cary328is is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
In this case, even if Apple's specs look better on paper - they are still strictly locked down by Apple's developer policies (um no flash, java development? WTF). At least Google and Android provide YOU with a user experience that is more liberating (we don't need to JAIL break anything if we're not in JAIL in the first place). I know there's gonna be the arguments that we have to do a bunch of stuff to customize ROMs for android etc etc. But over all come on....it's GOOGLE for christs sake. All their services are practically free, awesome, and they listen to what their users want. They don't DICTATE what we should use on OUR phones.
If it's powered by a snapdragon chances are it will have flash, the reason the iPhone doesn't have flash now is because the hardware wouldn't allow it. Matter of a fact Adobe started working on a flash client on iPhoneOS long before it even looked at Android or Windows they simply came to the conclusion that due to hardware limitations it wouldn't be possible same with the Samsung Moment or the HTC Hero these devices will NEVER have flash because of hardware limitations.

As far as open source it goes back to their general demographic and cool factor these users don't care they want a shiny Apple logo with lots of eye candy over anything else. Remember I'm speaking from a un-biased realistic sales perspective not an iPhone fan myself either.
LatinP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Eguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside your monitor.
Posts: 485
 
Device(s): GS4: CM 10.2, N7 2013: CM 10.2, Xoom WiFi (Stock JB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

They are just rumors. We will see in June. If they make a CDMA version, chances are it will have a Qualcomm chipset, GSM is far less likely.
Eguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
They are just rumors. We will see in June. If they make a CDMA version, chances are it will have a Qualcomm chipset, GSM is far less likely.
I don't know man talk is Apple is having Qualcomm make all the new chips for every carrier (including GSM ATT). They're pretty much buddy buddy lately.

I'll admit I would have never thought this duo would be getting together a year ago but man Google is loaded with articles about Qualcomm and Apple, it's looking like they're working together alot lately.

edit:Spelling
LatinP is offline  
Last edited by LatinP; April 16th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Eguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside your monitor.
Posts: 485
 
Device(s): GS4: CM 10.2, N7 2013: CM 10.2, Xoom WiFi (Stock JB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
I don't know man talk is Apple is having Qualcomm make all the new chips for every carrier (including GSM ATT). They're pretty much buddy buddy lately.

I'll admit I would have never thought this duo would be getting together a year ago but man Google is loaded with articles about Qualcomm and Apple, it's looking like they're working together alot lately.

edit:Spelling
If it is true, I shall be rich from my Qualcomm stock .
Eguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 840
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 or whatever the latest phone is
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 341
Thanked 432 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
If it's powered by a snapdragon chances are it will have flash, the reason the iPhone doesn't have flash now is because the hardware wouldn't allow it. Matter of a fact Adobe started working on a flash client on iPhoneOS long before it even looked at Android or Windows they simply came to the conclusion that due to hardware limitations it wouldn't be possible same with the Samsung Moment or the HTC Hero these devices will NEVER have flash because of hardware limitations.

As far as open source it goes back to their general demographic and cool factor these users don't care they want a shiny Apple logo with lots of eye candy over anything else. Remember I'm speaking from a un-biased realistic sales perspective not an iPhone fan myself either.
Umm actually this is why there's no Flash:

Adobe: There’s No Flash on iPad Because Apple Is Protecting Content Revenue | Cult of Mac
cary328is is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
I'll quote the title:
"There’s No Flash on iPad"

Yes on the iPad, a few years ago Adobe and Apple would give an arm and a leg to have flash support on the iPhone in fact Adobe had a semi working client for Safari on iPhoneOS which never surfaced because it kept crashing in the lab after stress tests were conducted. After long and hard soul searching they concluded that flash on an iPhone would be impossible because of hardware limitations.

Edit: I read that article, interesting read. I'd bet you money flash surfaces on the new iPhone though. Way too much competition around coming out with flash supported mobile browsers and Steve Jobs didn't raise no dummies it would be financial suicide. They're basically doing now what they did when the iPhone was new. They went money hungry once Android came into the spotlight the developer program loosened up greatly on app approval and I'm almost certain the same can be said when it comes to flash support on Safari's mobile browser, they will pay whatever they have to make sure they keep up.
LatinP is offline  
Last edited by LatinP; April 17th, 2010 at 01:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 840
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 or whatever the latest phone is
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 341
Thanked 432 Times in 183 Posts
Default

annoying though isn't it? The politics, greed, and control that Apple demands in its products is one reason I'm going to love the EVO even more. No matter what the reason, the fact that we're even discussing including a technology that 80% (not really sure the percent) of the internet uses in a device is ridiculous. I'm glad we're going to have that "fuller" experience with the EVO.
cary328is is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Android 17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 575
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 176 Times in 89 Posts
Default

If I had godly control of the English language, I would ban the use of of the words "Iphone" and "Killer" in the same sentence.

Most overstated and useless phrase ever.
Android 17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
annoying though isn't it? The politics, greed, and control that Apple demands in its products is one reason I'm going to love the EVO even more. No matter what the reason, the fact that we're even discussing including a technology that 80% (not really sure the percent) of the internet uses in a device is ridiculous. I'm glad we're going to have that "fuller" experience with the EVO.
Well when it comes to the tablet pc market right now they really are in a league all their own because not many people have ever explored it outside maybe a professional environment, now that the new "toy" is around they want to make sure they get as much revenue as possible. Unleashing flash would be risky because of sites like hulu which offer outstanding media experiences for no cost and that would kill their itunes revenue.

That being said they'll have no choice when it comes to cellphones, one mistake they do NOT want to make is being the only smart phone on the market without flash support that would be bad, really bad for them. As far as them trying to monopolize a market, it's what they do best. Prime example would be their latest lawsuit vs HTC. Come on... look at some of those patents unlocking a screen by making a gesture on the screen? What's next you want to patent the way you hold your phone? Seriously...
LatinP is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LatinP For This Useful Post:
So-Low Da Don (April 18th, 2010)
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 840
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 or whatever the latest phone is
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 341
Thanked 432 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
As far as them trying to monopolize a market, it's what they do best. Prime example would be their latest lawsuit vs HTC. Come on... look at some of those patents unlocking a screen by making a gesture on the screen? What's next you want to patent the way you hold your phone? Seriously...
HA! Excellent point! Those lawsuits are utterly ridiculous. Thanks for all your input LatinP. 2 more months for the EVO!!!
cary328is is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 50
 
Device(s): rooted HERO "with google" running Fresh 1.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 2 Posts
Default

One thing that bothers me is that the new iphone will be called 4gs or whatever since its there 4th gen phone. Most of my friends have iphones and they are jealous of the EVO but then they said the iphone4g is coming out to compete with it. I think when people here 4g wimax then they hear iphone 4g they think right away damn i need to buy that iphone since it has 4g. Anyone else see what im saying. I have too much coffee right now to type straight.
mconigs78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconigs78 View Post
One thing that bothers me is that the new iphone will be called 4gs or whatever since its there 4th gen phone. Most of my friends have iphones and they are jealous of the EVO but then they said the iphone4g is coming out to compete with it. I think when people here 4g wimax then they hear iphone 4g they think right away damn i need to buy that iphone since it has 4g. Anyone else see what im saying. I have too much coffee right now to type straight.
Yeah some people will confuse the 4th generation iPhone with the Evo's 4G connectivity. But that's an easy one to put to rest if you have 4G in your area just do a speed test or simply ask them to switch their radio to 4G.
LatinP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 50
 
Device(s): rooted HERO "with google" running Fresh 1.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 2 Posts
Default

true but to the common everyday user most do not know how to flash or jailbreak or root. Ex. someones parents, grandparents people that arent tech savy will be like wow that iphone is 4g so im gonna get it. and they will then they are stuck with it which is there fault lol. but it bumps there sales up even more.
mconigs78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,988
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,199
Thanked 4,633 Times in 1,729 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

I don't think Sprint is making this phone as the iPhone.iPad killer. Just on marketing alone, those two will The bottom line is that like Bill said, we will have the best phone on the best network and with the best prices. the EVO, but Sprint is not dumb in this regard, in fact it sees an opportunity and is already taken it to the next level. Why try to bash or put down a possible competitor when you can enhance your competitors product (knowing full well people will buy it anyway regardless if it's due to marketing or not) and make it better on your own network. They are doing it in a few commercials and will continue to promote the 4G network as the faster one. This also brings it in line to not bash the iPhone in case it does appear on the Now Network in the future. Thereby avoiding a put down of the product like Adobe has done to Apple in regard to Flash.

TS
__________________
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...



twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 840
 
Device(s): Galaxy S5 or whatever the latest phone is
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 341
Thanked 432 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
I don't think Sprint is making this phone as the iPhone.iPad killer. Just on marketing alone, those two will The bottom line is that like Bill said, we will have the best phone on the best network and with the best prices. the EVO, but Sprint is not dumb in this regard, in fact it sees an opportunity and is already taken it to the next level. Why try to bash or put down a possible competitor when you can enhance your competitors product (knowing full well people will buy it anyway regardless if it's due to marketing or not) and make it better on your own network. They are doing it in a few commercials and will continue to promote the 4G network as the faster one. This also brings it in line to not bash the iPhone in case it does appear on the Now Network in the future. Thereby avoiding a put down of the product like Adobe has done to Apple in regard to Flash.

TS
Very true...which is kind of weird that the rumors are speculating the CDMA iPhone to go to Verizon when they spent so much marketing for the Droid and did those commercials to "bash" the iPhone for the things that it can't do. Last time Sprint tried to do this was the Instinct marketing campaign. I'd like to see the iPhone come to Sprint honestly. It just means more choices for more customers thus better business for Sprint. I don't buy into the whole "iPhone killer" hype. Why try to "Kill" a product that can co exist in the same network? Competition between phone manufacturers is good. It encourages innovation and brings more choices for us
cary328is is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,988
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,199
Thanked 4,633 Times in 1,729 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
Very true...which is kind of weird that the rumors are speculating the CDMA iPhone to go to Verizon when they spent so much marketing for the Droid and did those commercials to "bash" the iPhone for the things that it can't do. Last time Sprint tried to do this was the Instinct marketing campaign. I'd like to see the iPhone come to Sprint honestly. It just means more choices for more customers thus better business for Sprint. I don't buy into the whole "iPhone killer" hype. Why try to "Kill" a product that can co exist in the same network? Competition between phone manufacturers is good. It encourages innovation and brings more choices for us
Seriously true, from what I read, the iPhone was offered to Verizon first, they said no. So it went to AT&T. As much as Jobs is so fickle about people bashing his products, why would he give the iPhone 4G to Verizon. With Sprint promoting the iPhone indirectly (more directly) in their commercials will make me (If I was Jobs) give them a better advantage in getting the new iPhone than Verizon which has bad mouth them in the past.
Personally, some will object the iPhone bing on Sprint, but it will benefit Sprint not only in new customers, but also prove that it can handle the extra load as oppose to AT&T.

TS out
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:
cary328is (April 18th, 2010), mybad (April 19th, 2010)
sponsored links
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
So-Low Da Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 451
 
Device(s): My Touch, Moment, Hero, Evo 4G, Epic 4G, Current: Epic 4G Touch!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

iPhones are played out, Android is the future!! Plus I always hated having 1 button, its so ugly. Plus the only thing that iPhone does better is apps.
__________________
WHAT'S AN APPLE TO AN ANDROID?!?!? (NOTHING)
So-Low Da Don is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
So-Low Da Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 451
 
Device(s): My Touch, Moment, Hero, Evo 4G, Epic 4G, Current: Epic 4G Touch!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 44
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

I just noticed that AT&T was nothing before the iPhone, I just thought of it as the crappy company that crappy Cingular merged with and all of a sudden the iPhone happens and AT&T is on the map
So-Low Da Don is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Eguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside your monitor.
Posts: 485
 
Device(s): GS4: CM 10.2, N7 2013: CM 10.2, Xoom WiFi (Stock JB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Low Da Don View Post
I just noticed that AT&T was nothing before the iPhone, I just thought of it as the crappy company that crappy Cingular merged with and all of a sudden the iPhone happens and AT&T is on the map
And they will be nothing when the iPhone goes on a different carrier.
Eguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
LatinP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 499
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 31
Thanked 222 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Low Da Don View Post
I just noticed that AT&T was nothing before the iPhone, I just thought of it as the crappy company that crappy Cingular merged with and all of a sudden the iPhone happens and AT&T is on the map
Huh?! You've never heard of AT&T before they "merged" with Cingular? Ok first AT&T never merged with Cingular AT&T was Cingular they simply changed names for a brief period. Before Cingular they were called AT&T. I'm no AT&T fan or anything but AT&T has been around longer than your grandfather & probably your great-grandfather. My mom has had an AT&T land line at her house since I was born I'm not 90 or anything but for at least 32 years.

The company was established in the 19th century they were the parent company of Bell Systems back them monopolizing the phone market with zero competition, it is by far the oldest major US carrier still alive and when I say by far I mean by decades. I'm not saying they are a good carrier or anything I'm just in shock when you say I've never heard of them before Cingular.

Here is a link:
Home| History| AT&T

EDIT: Spelling - God I feel old after reading that again.
LatinP is offline  
Last edited by LatinP; April 18th, 2010 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LatinP For This Useful Post:
So-Low Da Don (April 18th, 2010)
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #45 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,988
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,199
Thanked 4,633 Times in 1,729 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

True, AT&T was here for a long time, and Cingular was (not so long) but also here.

TS
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Eguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Inside your monitor.
Posts: 485
 
Device(s): GS4: CM 10.2, N7 2013: CM 10.2, Xoom WiFi (Stock JB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 47
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
True, AT&T was here for a long time, and Cingular was (not so long) but also here.

TS
I had AT&T before they changed to Cingular with my old Nokia 6190 . Ahh the good ol' days.
Eguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Tasmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 237
 
Device(s): AT&T SGSII (mine) Sprint HTC Evo 3D (step-droid)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
Very true...which is kind of weird that the rumors are speculating the CDMA iPhone to go to Verizon when they spent so much marketing for the Droid and did those commercials to "bash" the iPhone for the things that it can't do. Last time Sprint tried to do this was the Instinct marketing campaign. I'd like to see the iPhone come to Sprint honestly. It just means more choices for more customers thus better business for Sprint. I don't buy into the whole "iPhone killer" hype. Why try to "Kill" a product that can co exist in the same network? Competition between phone manufacturers is good. It encourages innovation and brings more choices for us
I completely agree; for those of us sick of the AT&T / Verizon commercial wars, it's refreshing to see a company that is able to promote it's own products rather than just bash the competition. In fact, Sprint's positive approach was one of the deciding factors in my fiance deciding to leave AT&T for Sprint a couple of months ago.

And, alas, I miss Cingular. I can't speak for it's data capacity since I never had anything other than a basic phone with them, but I happily wandered all over the eastern US with them and never had a problem (also never had a billing issue). AT&T has tried to #$%@! me over more times than I can count. I can't wait to see the last of them when I switch as soon as E-day hits!
Tasmin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dbpaddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Posts: 2,186
 
Device(s): Rooted Epic running Syndicate or Bonsai, 16gb Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 236 Times in 172 Posts
Default

who really cares at this point? it's just a phone. if it fits your needs, buy it. The whole phone war thing is just old and tired. Let the phone sell on its own merits, plain and simple. HTC does their commercials right. Sprint takes the high road in their commercials. That's the key to success, not bickering he said/she said commercials and advertising.

The funny thing with AT&T, they completely downplay 3g. They talk about cell phone coverage with no regard to data speed and the ability to talk and surf which I bet a majority of the people do or would use that capability less than 10% of the time.
__________________
I can save you at least 10% on ProClip vehicle mounts and cradles. Send me a PM for more info. Check them out at www.proclipusa.com.
dbpaddler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
evotitans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ/Philly
Posts: 446
 
Device(s): EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 121 Times in 68 Posts
Default

I do think, that the thought of Apple calling the next Iphone, the Iphone 4G, sounds like false advertisement.

If people truly understand wht 4G stands for, it just doesnt seem right to call something a 4G phone( Although it is the 4th generation Iphone) when its just a name, and isnt powered with 4G speeds.

The only way I think Sprint tries to steal Apple's thunder, is by mentioning the Evo as the EVO 4G phone....when people hear that and hear Iphone 4G and find out what the true meaning is, they would certainly starting asking what is the EVO 4G.
evotitans is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #50 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
SprintFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,547
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 192
Thanked 658 Times in 289 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinP View Post
I'll quote the title:
"There’s No Flash on iPad"

Yes on the iPad, a few years ago Adobe and Apple would give an arm and a leg to have flash support on the iPhone in fact Adobe had a semi working client for Safari on iPhoneOS which never surfaced because it kept crashing in the lab after stress tests were conducted. After long and hard soul searching they concluded that flash on an iPhone would be impossible because of hardware limitations.

There won't be Flash support on the iPhone either. Adobe last week told their investors that they may not reach earnings potential because of Apple and their competing technology (HTML5). You don't tell your investor relations that if behind the scenes in 2 months it will be a non-issue. During the OS 4 unveiling, in the Q&A session somebody asked Steve Jobs if Flash support was coming and he gave a very cold "no" response.

The Flash/iWhatever ship has sailed.

Some links:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/18/adobe-ceo-flash-coming-to-android-webos-and-blackberry-smartp/ (If it was coming to Apple, why wouldn't they say so? They have in the past...)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/apples-iphone-lockdown-apps-must-be-written-in-one-of-three-la/ (This is a direct strike at Adobe)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/adobe-says-iphone-ipad-adoption-and-alternative-technologies/ (You wouldn't tell your investors this - and significantly hurt your business - unless it had real weight)
SprintFun is offline  
Last edited by SprintFun; April 19th, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SprintFun For This Useful Post:
cary328is (April 19th, 2010)
Reply

HTC EVO 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When Sprint announced their first ever 4G handset at CTIA in March 2010, they dropped a bombshell on the mobile world. The HTC Evo 4G is a device that introduces a lot of firsts when compared to other North American handsets. This is the first Andr... Read More

Tags
android, bberry, evo, instinct, iphone, palm


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.