Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cesjr02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 266
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Default Sprint vs Best Buy's insurance

At Best Buy this morning the rep tried to talk me into BB's insurance over Sprint's offering.

BB is more expensive 10 dollars vs 7. But there is no deductible and she made it sound like you can file a claim as much as you want. (Unlikely) Problem is they don't protect again lost or theft. Now I'm really not concerned with someone stealing my phone but everyone knows when I get a few drinks in me, I lose things!

Sprint's insurance didn't seem to be as hassle free, plus you have the 100 deductible. (Not a huge deal to me.)

So lets get away from the sales pitch and get down to some honest opinions. What do you guys think, experience with one or the other, pros and cons?

Advertisements
cesjr02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
lyons238's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 255
 
Device(s): htc EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

sprint protects loss and theft. im pretty sure u can make 3 claims a year, maybe 2 im not sure but still good either way. thats what i got.

and the deductible is only in certain situations if the sprint rep that was talking to me was correct
lyons238 is offline  
Last edited by lyons238; June 4th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Pedro Ca
Posts: 110
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I got BB's insurance mostly because this is a first run device...it's more likely to break than get jacked..at least in my opinion. And I have years of face time with the nearest BB to me and none with Sprint. So I can lean on them a little, and I have in the past for other things there.
Dutch54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sumter
Posts: 204
 
Device(s): VZW Galaxy Nexus- Mines MyTouch 4G Slide- Wife
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I have Sprint's insurance on my phone. I didn't get insurance for the fact that I'm clumsy or careless. I got it for those "just in case moments". I been with Sprint for almost 2 years now. I lost a total of 3 phones and one damaged. Three were stolen (2 Instincts and 1 Hero) and one had a cracked screen (Rumor). Two were stolen at my house when I threw a get together (can't trust friends or family) and the other was stolen when I went to a junk yard (long story). The one that was damaged, I accidentally sat on .

No one plans on things to happen. I definitely wasn't planning on my phones being stolen which put a damper on my week but the insurance was there to help me out. If you don't plan on losing your phone no time soon, get the BB insurance. Good luck with your choice.
dhinez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10
 
Device(s): Samsung Moment,HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Get the sprint im pretty sure that htc evo is going to stand out like a sore thumb trust me people will want to steal it and if it breaks just happen to "lose it" and call sprint they have helped me all the years i lost my phones
tolu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cesjr02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 266
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Yep, I ended up going with Sprint because of that very reason. I'm fairly careful with my phones so it's not really damage that I'm worried about, more theft and losing the device somewhere.
cesjr02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
nzo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

When I asked the BB employee who setup my account what the difference is he basically said the BB plan was more comprehensive as its no questions asked they'll replace the phone. Hopefully I never have to find out how truthful he was.
nzo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

I thought that the sprint insurance didn't cover water damage and the bb did? that not true?
danj1111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 90
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

u don't need to worry about theft so much if you install mobile defense, that app tells you where your phone is exactly down to the house
gt33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Pedro Ca
Posts: 110
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 58
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch54 View Post
I got BB's insurance mostly because this is a first run device...it's more likely to break than get jacked..at least in my opinion. And I have years of face time with the nearest BB to me and none with Sprint. So I can lean on them a little, and I have in the past for other things there.
Since my original post on launch day about this choice we have, we've unfortunately been witness to a variety of problems with the Evo, as I said, a first run device. I've been lucky to not have gotten one of those with what apparently are design and construction flaws. But I went into this purchase fully aware that this could happen to a virgin device like this.

And thats the primary reason I went with BB on insurance...to get it fixed through them. I cant even imagine allowing a situation where it could be stolen or lost.

Just my 2 cents
Dutch54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

The main difference with them is, Best Buy gives you a brand new In the box device, where as Sprint sends you a refurbished one. Choice to me was easy, Best Buy all the way!
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sagedil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 796
 
Device(s): HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 287
Thanked 178 Times in 120 Posts
Default Re: Sprint vs Best Buy's insurance

Well that and, again, Best Buy does not ensure against lost or stolen phones. You have to show them the phone. With Sprint, onecan always just say it was lost and get a new phone without ever having to show how stupid you were.
sagedil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

It really has to do with choice. I use sprints now but I wouldn't be against bb. the thing is that no matter what your gonna have ship your phone out with bb and wait. So it comes down to price...and since I have a aversion to paying things that haven't happened yet.the sprint insurance is cheaper..and refurbished phones don't bother me. In the end we are talking about a luxury item that can be replaced.
jay2thab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Richmond, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,864
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 215
Thanked 199 Times in 149 Posts
Default

I chose Best Buy simply because it protects against any damage including water damage, there is no deductible and you will get a new one and not a "replacement" phone.

The only advantage that Sprint has is the lost/theft protection. And that is with a $100 deductible.
__________________
Pre, may sindi ka?
Caloy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): HTC EVO
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caloy View Post
I chose Best Buy simply because it protects against any damage including water damage, there is no deductible and you will get a new one and not a "replacement" phone.

The only advantage that Sprint has is the lost/theft protection. And that is with a $100 deductible.
Sprint covers water damage i have returned 4 phones with water damage and have had no problem i even told the rep and was still sent a new phone back.

best buy will only give you a new one until they start getting low on stock then you will get a used phone back. this happened to a buddy of mine.
stangtech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Sprint Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 56 Times in 20 Posts
notoriousguy01
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzo View Post
When I asked the BB employee who setup my account what the difference is he basically said the BB plan was more comprehensive as its no questions asked they'll replace the phone. Hopefully I never have to find out how truthful he was.
THEY all lie .. I had it for my hero .. Man what a pain . They first had to send it for repair .. Then when it was junked out they tried to give me a Samsung Moment or the blackberry curve .. I was piss off lol and made the manager give me a Blackberry 9650 which i traded it for a brand new evo .. Don't get the bestbuy black tie .. Not worth it .
ramonini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

i got both


i will hold BB for the first couple months for the defect shakedown to finish (so i can just exchange for a new run one if my screen separates during the hot summer or any other of the issues crop up in the meantime) then cancel and hold TEP for about 6 months to a year then drop that too depending on phone condition
Selfdestruct is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Sprint Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 56 Times in 20 Posts
notoriousguy01
Default

you know Best buy will try to fix your phone first than give you a new one right away . And if your lucky they wont ask you for the $150 deposit for a loaner phone ... If i was you I ask your bestbuy mobile sales people about what their plan covers and anything they tell you they will do or promises you . To give it to you in writings ..
ramonini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cleverness is not wisdom
 
SolApathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,359
 
Device(s): EVO LTE | HTC M7 | HTC M8- ViperROM |
Carrier: Sprint-Rooted

Thanks: 408
Thanked 836 Times in 460 Posts
Default

I got BB insurance... dealing with Sprint is a hassle & I have never lost a phone.
SolApathy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
edlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 796
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 47
Thanked 142 Times in 106 Posts
Default

You guys should really consider squaretrade. It doesn't cover lost or stolen but does cover water and accidental damage. Warranty stuff has no deductible and accidental is $50. Never give you a refurb either, either brand new phone or cash. If you decide to remove the insurance you get back the prorated amount of the premium. Check them out. Oh and turnaround is just a couple of days usually. BB can take weeks sometimes because they actually send the phone out to try to get it repaired first.
edlex is offline  
Last edited by edlex; June 17th, 2010 at 04:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
The main difference with them is, Best Buy gives you a brand new In the box device, where as Sprint sends you a refurbished one. Choice to me was easy, Best Buy all the way!
This isnt true. When i was getting my Evo at Best Buy, a women was getting a refurbished iPhone. She was pissed because she was told she was getting a new phone as well. They told her it would act the same as new. All this happened right before they asked me if I wanted their protection plan.
stevent76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 78
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 21 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt33 View Post
u don't need to worry about theft so much if you install mobile defense, that app tells you where your phone is exactly down to the house
Is that the exact name of the app, because I can't find it. Thanks
tonyguy2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyguy2000 For This Useful Post:
ramonini (June 17th, 2010)
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tsipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 636
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 111 Times in 89 Posts
Default

I have the Sprint insurance because my phones have a history of suffering from hardware failure. As long as it is a manufacturer defect, Sprint will give you a replacement on the spot when you go to the store without the deductible. Yes, they do give you a refurb but as long as it works, I couldn't care less.
tsipa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
tsipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 636
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 111 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyguy2000 View Post
Is that the exact name of the app, because I can't find it. Thanks
I have that app also. It is called Mobile Defense but I couldn't find it in the market just now...
tsipa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 50
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

dont go with BB insurance! trust me! i dont want to get into the whole story but a friend of mine had it for his instinct. best buy took his phone to repair it and didnt give him a replacement until 2 and a half months later. he only got it back because he recorded his conversation a rep who stated "if the phone cant be repaired in 30 days we will replace it" he played this to the regional manager of BB over the phone. she freaked out and he had a new phone an hour later.

that is a very condensed version of a story that is even more ridiculous.

sprints insurance is awesome. ive used it many times. deductible only applies if its damaged or theft/loss. any defect of the phone is covered with no deductible.

you will jump through many hoops to get your phone repaired/replaced with BB insurance
hambonewc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 106
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

If best buy is a hassle because they try and fix it first, why not always just say you lost it (when it's broken) to skip that. Or does best buy not cover lost phones
flip603 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

A lot of people in this thread have mentioned they bought the insurance because itís a first run device and prone to having a bunch of issues (such as screen separation), but doesnít the manufacturerís warranty cover that? Iím pretty sure itís good for 1 year. The only reason I would get the insurance is if I was careless. Iíve had a cell phone for about 10 years and Iíve never lost or dropped my phone in any water. The only thing Iím concerned about is dropping the device and the screen breaking. If that happened I could buy a new screen on eBay (when they become available) and change out the screen myself.
Softgel97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sagedil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 796
 
Device(s): HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 287
Thanked 178 Times in 120 Posts
Default Re: Sprint vs Best Buy's insurance

Quote:
If best buy is a hassle because they try and fix it first, why not always just say you lost it (when it's broken) to skip that. Or does best buy not cover lost phones
Answered in thread already.
sagedil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
J03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 520
 
Device(s): Evo LTE, Evo 4G (RIP), Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambonewc View Post
dont go with BB insurance! trust me! i dont want to get into the whole story but a friend of mine had it for his instinct. best buy took his phone to repair it and didnt give him a replacement until 2 and a half months later. he only got it back because he recorded his conversation a rep who stated "if the phone cant be repaired in 30 days we will replace it" he played this to the regional manager of BB over the phone. she freaked out and he had a new phone an hour later.

that is a very condensed version of a story that is even more ridiculous.

sprints insurance is awesome. ive used it many times. deductible only applies if its damaged or theft/loss. any defect of the phone is covered with no deductible.

you will jump through many hoops to get your phone repaired/replaced with BB insurance
I don't know what crappy best buy you went to but this sounds pretty suspect. The 30 day rule is written in the agreement you sign if she actually kept her copy. Add to that geek squad automatically junks out the claim after 30 days. This isn't an individual store thing, it automatically gets triggered in the system. I really doubt the regional manager "freaked out" lol since it's a well known policy.

That said, they do not just replace your phone on the spot, they send it in and its either repaired or replaced within 30 days. I didn't know this and was pissed to have a loaner for 30 darts.

Now, why I got it again despite this: what they don't tell you is thwart when your claim is junked you don't just get a replacement, you get store credit for the entire full purchase price of the phone to be used for a new phone. You can get any phone with it. This is how in my rare case, I got a new evo as a replacement for free (sans $80 for 8mo of insurance). Not being a premier member, I wasn't eligible for an upgrade for another 14 months! Just realize that if you go with best buy, the geek squad guy will call you and tell you that he has a new phone waiting for you. He won't tell you that you can get any other phone you want on that carrier. Oh and if you decide to downgrade, they will give you store credit for the difference. Say you don't want your evo, you get $600 credit and buy a $400 flip phone, you get that 200 difference on a gift card.

In the end its a matter off preference. With best buy you are stuck with a pos loaner till you get your phone back and it doesn't cover loss or theft but you can potentially switch phones or upgrade with out any additional cost to you.

Oh a couple more things: yes you can make as many claims as you want. How it works is that they replace your phone and end your warranty. Then you simply opt back in for another one and just keep paying 10 a month. Rinse and repeat as many times as you want, however you could be without a phone for a month at a time so that discourages people from abusing this. Also they gave me the option of paying for all 2 years in advance at a dicount rate. If you make a claim they will refund you the difference (amount minus 10 per month and not automatically, i had to ask). If you never make a claim thry will credit your best buy account with double points for every dollar on your rewards card (free member card, not charge card) which is useful if you shop there often but pointless if you don't.
J03 is offline  
Last edited by J03; June 17th, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 100
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipa View Post
I have that app also. It is called Mobile Defense but I couldn't find it in the market just now...

Try "wheres my droid".. a text sends you the gps location of your phone should you lose it...
igzekyativ is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

SquareTrade has been mentioned by someone here and I have it on my TV and HD Cam. Will probably get it on the phone too. As mentioned, it's a lot cheaper (with coupons) and it covers accidents and spills. I rarely lose my phone so theft isn't a concern for me.
haner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
The Dorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 176
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G :D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 108
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Manufacturer defects are covered by HTC's warranty, are they not? So when comparing Best Buy and Sprint's insurance policies, we should only be looking at damage or loss/theft.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The Dorian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

To make it short, NEVER will I get any warranty through BB, much less spend any money there. Even if it is a manufacturing defect, they will send it off for them to repair. My wife was without her Pixi for over a month with a cheap loaner phone and it came back broken still. Then wanted to give her a cheap Curve as a replacement. Also it takes 4 attempts at a month each before they issue a new phone.
baizej is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #34 (permalink)
J03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 520
 
Device(s): Evo LTE, Evo 4G (RIP), Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baizej View Post
To make it short, NEVER will I get any warranty through BB, much less spend any money there. Even if it is a manufacturing defect, they will send it off for them to repair. My wife was without her Pixi for over a month with a cheap loaner phone and it came back broken still. Then wanted to give her a cheap Curve as a replacement. Also it takes 4 attempts at a month each before they issue a new phone.
Again, if it takes over 30 days, you get a new phone period. If its under 30 days then you have to send it back again.

Tip for anyone with BB insurance: if its a defect and not your fault and the phone doesn't have water damage, take it to sprint for the first year. Do NOT take it to best buy unless its your fault or the one year warranty is up for the reason stated above.
J03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My son had a HTC Hero insured with BestBuy (Black Tie Service, bring it in get a new one), after three months he had problems. They shipped his phone off for repair, it took 37 days and much compaining before they gave him a new phone. They also wanted to charge him for a loner phone (but he had a extra sprint phone).
bsmithoh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: West TN
Posts: 25
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

The only time you have to pay a deductible with Sprint insurance is if you physically damage the phone...drops, cracks, etc. If the phone charger port stops working, screen backlight starts to dim, touchscreen gets unresponsive, etc, you can just call and they'll send you a new one. You'll get your replacement in about 2 days. With Best Buy, they MIGHT swap the phone out in store, or they'll send it off to their depot center to repair and/or run diagnostics. They'll give you a loaner, but of course it will be the most basic phone ever. Probably the Zack Morris phone.

The good thing with Best Buy is that once the Evo 2 or some equivalent is released, you can usually do a warranty exchange and they'll give you a new one.

I personally still like Sprint's better.
__________________
I.T.W.N.O.I.
Karsten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 525
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I really think the theft protection is there to take advantage of people that dont realize their phone can be tracked via gps or when it connects to a tower. basically the second you turn on a stolen phone, you are easily tracked. the sprint one is cheaper so that one gets my vote
chawski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have an Evo now, but had the Pre for the last year. I had sprint's insurance for 7/month. During the year I had my Pre, I had it fully replaced twice. I didn't pay anything for the replacements....just took it in and they ordered me a new one.

I had it replaced once because the power button wasn't working well (but was working) and once because the volume buttons stopped working. I was surprised how easy it was to get my phone replaced. I would never consider dropping the 7/month.
bandagraph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandagraph View Post
I have an Evo now, but had the Pre for the last year. I had sprint's insurance for 7/month. During the year I had my Pre, I had it fully replaced twice. I didn't pay anything for the replacements....just took it in and they ordered me a new one.

I had it replaced once because the power button wasn't working well (but was working) and once because the volume buttons stopped working. I was surprised how easy it was to get my phone replaced. I would never consider dropping the 7/month.
But during the first year, they would have had to do that anyway, with the insurance or not.
haner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 86
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I was wary of buying Sprint's insurance when I had a centro. A couple of returns later, and I was damn glad I got it. It wasn't even a consideration for me when I priced out the Evo, I just baked it into what I would pay.
fredsmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Sprint Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 56 Times in 20 Posts
notoriousguy01
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03 View Post
I don't know what crappy best buy you went to but this sounds pretty suspect. The 30 day rule is written in the agreement you sign if she actually kept her copy. Add to that geek squad automatically junks out the claim after 30 days. This isn't an individual store thing, it automatically gets triggered in the system. I really doubt the regional manager "freaked out" lol since it's a well known policy.

That said, they do not just replace your phone on the spot, they send it in and its either repaired or replaced within 30 days. I didn't know this and was pissed to have a loaner for 30 darts.

Now, why I got it again despite this: what they don't tell you is thwart when your claim is junked you don't just get a replacement, you get store credit for the entire full purchase price of the phone to be used for a new phone. You can get any phone with it. This is how in my rare case, I got a new evo as a replacement for free (sans $80 for 8mo of insurance). Not being a premier member, I wasn't eligible for an upgrade for another 14 months! Just realize that if you go with best buy, the geek squad guy will call you and tell you that he has a new phone waiting for you. He won't tell you that you can get any other phone you want on that carrier. Oh and if you decide to downgrade, they will give you store credit for the difference. Say you don't want your evo, you get $600 credit and buy a $400 flip phone, you get that 200 difference on a gift card.

In the end its a matter off preference. With best buy you are stuck with a pos loaner till you get your phone back and it doesn't cover loss or theft but you can potentially switch phones or upgrade with out any additional cost to you.

Oh a couple more things: yes you can make as many claims as you want. How it works is that they replace your phone and end your warranty. Then you simply opt back in for another one and just keep paying 10 a month. Rinse and repeat as many times as you want, however you could be without a phone for a month at a time so that discourages people from abusing this. Also they gave me the option of paying for all 2 years in advance at a dicount rate. If you make a claim they will refund you the difference (amount minus 10 per month and not automatically, i had to ask). If you never make a claim thry will credit your best buy account with double points for every dollar on your rewards card (free member card, not charge card) which is useful if you shop there often but pointless if you don't.
What you talking about ? BestBuy does not give you the Evo less store credit . They give you a phone that can do similar things to your original phone . I tried to get an EVO from them coming from a Hero and Not 1 but 3 different best buy mobile told me I could not do it since it would be an Upgrade . Is a hassle going through bestbuy ..
ramonini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 163
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dorian View Post
Manufacturer defects are covered by HTC's warranty, are they not? So when comparing Best Buy and Sprint's insurance policies, we should only be looking at damage or loss/theft.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is correct, right?
vkdroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
J03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 520
 
Device(s): Evo LTE, Evo 4G (RIP), Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonini View Post
What you talking about ? BestBuy does not give you the Evo less store credit . They give you a phone that can do similar things to your original phone . I tried to get an EVO from them coming from a Hero and Not 1 but 3 different best buy mobile told me I could not do it since it would be an Upgrade . Is a hassle going through bestbuy ..
My gf's brother in law is a mobile manager here (but not my local best buy so i didnt get any special perks from him) and thats what he told me the policy was. They will try to give you the same phone but i confirmed with the manager that when the junk your claim they give you store credit towards the purchase of a different phone.

I was only 8 months into my palm pre (14 mo from upgrade eligibility). They sold the palm pre and evo for $600 so the mobile manager took the store credit, walked me over to the mobile department and used the credit to "buy" me an evo. Thats the official store policy. Like i said, they kept calling me saying that the got me a new pre when all they actually did was put the 600 on a card and put it aside. Maybe they are supposed to discourage against it but sine i knew the policy going in they didnt fight me at all. To tell you the truth, neither the regular mobile guy or regular geek squad guy was even familiar with the policy. Once they turned me over to a manager (GS and mobile) they confirmed everything and it went really smooth.

UPDATE:

Ok so i checked my reciept. Sure enough the policy is not on there like my gf's bro in law said. I went and checked out the terms online. This is what it said:

http://www.geeksquad.com/gslibrary/services/content/black_tie_protection/terms_and_conditions/20080914/20080914TC.pdf


ē If we determine in our sole discretion that your
product cannot be repaired, we will replace it
with a product of like kind and quality that is
of comparable performance or reimburse you
for replacement of the product with a voucher
or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the fair
market value of the product, as determined by
your product, including taxes.


So apparently its technically at their discretion. Personally i would fight tooth and nail till you get a voucher. My best buy didn't fight me however.

Oh and it turns out i only paid 120 for two years and i got 85 back so i got a $35 evo
J03 is offline  
Last edited by J03; June 17th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MisterEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 773
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 117 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt33 View Post
u don't need to worry about theft so much if you install mobile defense, that app tells you where your phone is exactly down to the house
LOL, it software right? So if the "thief" pulls the batttery or erases all data it's useless. So much for "not worrying" unless you just leave it somewhere and are lucky enough to go back and find it still waiting for you.
MisterEd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 205
 
Device(s): Sprint Evo 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 56 Times in 20 Posts
notoriousguy01
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03 View Post
Again, if it takes over 30 days, you get a new phone period. If its under 30 days then you have to send it back again.

Tip for anyone with BB insurance: if its a defect and not your fault and the phone doesn't have water damage, take it to sprint for the first year. Do NOT take it to best buy unless its your fault or the one year warranty is up for the reason stated above.
yea but once they give you a different phone you have to contact bestbuy mobile because when you go and make a claim they will see that is not the phone they sold you . They try to screw me like that when i made an exchange through bestbuy in my first 30 days .. It got sort out but is better to be safe than sorry ..
ramonini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: tucson,az
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I didn't read this whole thread just skipped to the bottom to give my 2 cents, I recently had palm pre Issues. The screen cracked so I went In and was told I had to go through insurance. I told him that it was cracked not wet so he proceeds to tell me that within the past month Sprint changed the policy...they only cover manufacturers defects and sometimes not even that. Anyways the manager did me a favor and swapped It for me after I threatened to move to Verizon. During the next 3 days went through 4 phones because refurbished sucks. Best buy gives brand new, and if when you take your evo In for a problem the evo2 is out, you get that. Best buy 1 Sprint neg 100!
evofreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sagedil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 796
 
Device(s): HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 287
Thanked 178 Times in 120 Posts
Default Re: Sprint vs Best Buy's insurance

Sprint doesn't cover manufacture defects?? Sure brand new person who just shows up to post misinformation.
sagedil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 47
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent76 View Post
This isnt true. When i was getting my Evo at Best Buy, a women was getting a refurbished iPhone. She was pissed because she was told she was getting a new phone as well. They told her it would act the same as new. All this happened right before they asked me if I wanted their protection plan.
It is true, the Iphone is the only exception. All Iphone replacements are refurbs. ALL other phones are new.
mpbond is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #49 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phoenix
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,233
 
Device(s): EVO LTE & EVO 4G & Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 881 Times in 524 Posts
Default

I would say Sprint Insurance... here is why: Last summer is was pushed into the pool with my phone in pocket (drunken stupor). That night I filled out the necessary info online and paid the deductable ($100). The following day the phone was overnighted to me with a prepaid container to send the damaged phone back. i sent it back, as directed. The experience was fast and easy. $7 a month is the premium.
BenChase7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #50 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Best Buy Plan
$10 per month.
Covers all damage under normal use(all depends on how you word what happened to the phone, it would not cover using the phone from a helicopter, it falling out and getting smashed by a tank for example, but it that happened and you just 'dropped it' it's covered)
Does NOT cover loss/theft
Unit is sent to a repair center, which hasn't been the greatest at speed. After 30 days after ARRIVING at the service center, if it is not on the way back to Best Buy, the phone is replaced in store with the same/comparable model. In the mean time a loaner is issued provided a deposit is paid for.

Benefits over TEP:
No deductible ever
No limit to number of claims, but if the phone is 'repaired' 3 times, on the 4th repair, the phone will be sent to service with a No Lemon request and exchanged quickly. The previous 3 repairs MUST be hardware, so if the phone is sent off and is just factory reset, this will not count towards one of the 3 repairs.
While your phone is broken, you can get a loaner phone with a $150 deposit. The phone available for this is at the discretion of the BBY Mobile employee issuing it, but it usually will NOT match the specs of the phone being repaired. With sprint, you will be out of a phone until the replacement is received, usually the next business day but delays may occur.

Downfalls of BBY/GSBTP:
30 day turn time before replacement minimum.
$3 more than TEP.

Mileage may vary.

Edit: Currently the EVO is not repairable, when the system does not allow an item to be sent out, it is exchanged on the spot. DO NOT BUY BTP FOR THE EVO UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT IT WILL STAY THIS WAY. One would assume their repair center will be able to repair the EVO in the future and this will change.
MrTankJump is offline  
Last edited by MrTankJump; June 19th, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC EVO 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When Sprint announced their first ever 4G handset at CTIA in March 2010, they dropped a bombshell on the mobile world. The HTC Evo 4G is a device that introduces a lot of firsts when compared to other North American handsets. This is the first Andr... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.