Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO V 4G

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dg61981
  • 1 Post By coco3133

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas GA
Posts: 310
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Default Thank u evo v 4g forum but I'm moving on up to the east side!

So I know starting these kinds of threads is trite and all but I just had to say thank u to all the devs and trolls (I say that as a term of endearment lol) on this forum. U guys have made my short 2yr tenure with vmob tolerable. But that tmoble free nexus 4 deal was too good to pass up. Now let's see how long I can stay with a contract carrier. I think at least 2yrs is a safe bet lol. Thanks again guys. Love u long time!

dg61981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 440
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 89
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Good luck. If you don't mind me asking how much you paying a month now?
EazySteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,878
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 272 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Moving on up to the East Side you say?

Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas GA
Posts: 310
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazySteve View Post
Good luck. If you don't mind me asking how much you paying a month now?
Well I've effectively almost doubled my cell phone bill. Went from 86 bucks to around 150. But we were able to make cuts in other areas to justify the purchase. Plus we were just tired of the dropped calls and not delivered text messages all of the time. Also my wife will be happy that I'm not spending $300 on a new cell phone every 6mos lol
EazySteve likes this.
dg61981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dg61981 For This Useful Post:
EazySteve (February 26th, 2013)
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 440
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 89
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg61981 View Post
Well I've effectively almost doubled my cell phone bill. Went from 86 bucks to around 150. But we were able to make cuts in other areas to justify the purchase. Plus we were just tired of the dropped calls and not delivered text messages all of the time. Also my wife will be happy that I'm not spending $300 on a new cell phone every 6mos lol
You got one of the best phones with first dibs on updates. You should be good for 2 years hopefully
EazySteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
coco3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 346
 
Device(s): T-Mobile HTC Amaze 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 35 Times in 32 Posts
Default Thank u evo v 4g forum but I'm moving on up to the east side!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-4-is-free-on-T-Mobile-until-Sunday-but-its-still-a-bad-deal_id40097 just saw that haha
DragonSlayer95 likes this.
coco3133 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident Air Bender
 
DragonSlayer95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,392
 
Device(s): Moto G, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,946
Thanked 2,747 Times in 1,802 Posts
DragonSlayer8724
Default Re: Thank u evo v 4g forum but I'm moving on up to the east side!

Well that'll be a bit depressing for the op lol
__________________
Has someone helped you? Dont forget to hit the "thanks" button!
Seen an offense or bad post? Hit the /!\ button!
DragonSlayer95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,878
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 272 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco3133 View Post
I can't even imagine being limited to 16GB. I don't buy phones that have internal only memory, and I don't buy phones with non-removable batteries. I hope the trend isn't towards this model

My Music folder alone is pushing 7GB, and my ROMs and NANDs are another 4GB.

On my 32GB SD card, I have less than 10GB available.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas
Gender: Male
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Optimus V (Retired) HTC EVO V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 16
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
I can't even imagine being limited to 16GB. I don't buy phones that have internal only memory, and I don't buy phones with non-removable batteries. I hope the trend isn't towards this model

My Music folder alone is pushing 7GB, and my ROMs and NANDs are another 4GB.

On my 32GB SD card, I have less than 10GB available.
I totally agree! At some point when everything is on the cloud and there is no longer any internal storage (not just on phones but on computers and all other devices), what will keep the companies from pricing cloud storage at whatever they want? We will have no recourse as nothing will have internal storage! This seems to be the way every company is headed...

Also, what about security? All my computer/phone data out there for any hacker to see is not secure!!
m-cman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,878
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 272 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-cman View Post
I totally agree! At some point when everything is on the cloud and there is no longer any internal storage (not just on phones but on computers and all other devices), what will keep the companies from pricing cloud storage at whatever they want? We will have no recourse as nothing will have internal storage! This seems to be the way every company is headed...

Also, what about security? All my computer/phone data out there for any hacker to see is not secure!!
I don't believe in cloud storage. I mean, I believe that it exists, but i don't plan on using it ever. I have 5GB with amazon...and the only thing in there is music that I've purchased from them in the past.

I would NEVER put any of my personal information into a cloud storage device. In fact, putting MP3s in cloud storage still means you gotta have a good connection to listen to them. I could have just stayed with Rhapsody if I have to stream everything.

I read some of Google's comments about the Nexus 4 not having SD card, and they are trying to spin it as a good thing. They made it out like having an SD card confuses the customer, and that's the "old way" of doing it. Screw that nonsense. What happens when I brick my phone, and I haven't backed up my content? Normally, I could just remove the SD card, and put it in the next phone. But with internal memory, you can't. Perhaps you can pay someone to extract it...or perhaps you can go 100% cloud so it's saved offsite. Again, this model DOESN'T suit me one bit.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Iconia A500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
I don't believe in cloud storage. I mean, I believe that it exists, but i don't plan on using it ever. I have 5GB with amazon...and the only thing in there is music that I've purchased from them in the past.

I would NEVER put any of my personal information into a cloud storage device. In fact, putting MP3s in cloud storage still means you gotta have a good connection to listen to them. I could have just stayed with Rhapsody if I have to stream everything.

I read some of Google's comments about the Nexus 4 not having SD card, and they are trying to spin it as a good thing. They made it out like having an SD card confuses the customer, and that's the "old way" of doing it. Screw that nonsense. What happens when I brick my phone, and I haven't backed up my content? Normally, I could just remove the SD card, and put it in the next phone. But with internal memory, you can't. Perhaps you can pay someone to extract it...or perhaps you can go 100% cloud so it's saved offsite. Again, this model DOESN'T suit me one bit.
Absolutely. Cell phones go kaput way too often to rely on internal storage. Give me my SD card all day, every day. If you don't have a physical copy of all that music, you only have access to it until some company says you don't.
Antiochus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Leslie Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,426
 
Device(s): Evo V, Evo 4g, Optimus V
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 84
Thanked 894 Times in 390 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg61981 View Post
Well I've effectively almost doubled my cell phone bill. Went from 86 bucks to around 150. But we were able to make cuts in other areas to justify the purchase. Plus we were just tired of the dropped calls and not delivered text messages all of the time. Also my wife will be happy that I'm not spending $300 on a new cell phone every 6mos lol
Odds are you were not spending $300 every 6 months on a phone, however, let's run the numbers.

Ignoring all other factors...
$64 (price difference) x 6months (service) = $384

Your wife should have let you keep spending $300 every 6 months, you were saving money.

Nice "free" phone.


Oh, and Google is right, sdcards are the old way, but until they put decent amounts of storage (which is entirely overpriced), it's the only good option. The cloud is a complete joke, and cards are cheap. On the other hand, give me a phone with 64gigs internal storage, and I still will put a 32 or 64gig card on it if I can. You can never have too much storage.
__________________
❤❤❤Ahhhh, the wonderful life of a developer, so romantic, so glamorous! The candles, the music, the gentle glow of your phone as it sits on your desk stuck in a boot loop.❤❤❤
Harmonia Developer
Leslie Ann is offline  
Last edited by Leslie Ann; February 26th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie Ann For This Useful Post:
SuperAfnan (February 26th, 2013)
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Ranhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 330
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 - rooted, EVO V 4G - retired
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 42
Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
I don't believe in cloud storage. I mean, I believe that it exists,
I almost fell off my chair laughing at that ...... and I agree. I'm never buying a phone that I cannot put a SD card into.
Ranhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas
Gender: Male
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Optimus V (Retired) HTC EVO V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 16
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranhead View Post
I almost fell off my chair laughing at that ...... and I agree. I'm never buying a phone that I cannot put a SD card into.
Unfortunately, there may come a time when we don't have that choice...
m-cman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas GA
Posts: 310
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Man...so I'm reading thru this thread and now my feelings about making this move have greatly deteriorated. U guys stole my gusto! My phone will be here tomorrow, tmob has already ported my number and I've already sold my evo. Should I just repack the nexus 4 and send it right back?! I'm kinda screwed now huh?
dg61981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,878
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 272 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-cman View Post
Unfortunately, there may come a time when we don't have that choice...
Don't say that. Don't you EVER say that
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Iconia A500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg61981 View Post
Man...so I'm reading thru this thread and now my feelings about making this move have greatly deteriorated. U guys stole my gusto! My phone will be here tomorrow, tmob has already ported my number and I've already sold my evo. Should I just repack the nexus 4 and send it right back?! I'm kinda screwed now huh?
Pretty much, however, you can always test out T-Mo for a few months and then port back to virgin when the S3 drops. I think you said you signed a contract though. If you can get out of the contract (within 30 days perhaps?) you could go on T-mo prepaid to see how you like their service.
Antiochus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Iconia A500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-cman View Post
Unfortunately, there may come a time when we don't have that choice...
You could be right. I think all these phone manufacturers are looking hard at the apple "walled garden" approach. However, phones like the Note 2 (targeting the work demographic) will probably continue to offer removable storage. It makes sense as a way to keep work files physically separate from personal stuff.
Antiochus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Under your bed
Gender: Male
Posts: 921
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G Hboot 1.50 TWRP Various Roms
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 273
Thanked 189 Times in 152 Posts
Default

I like my removable SD card, helps with soft bricks and firmware updates. No thanks on internal only/non-removable batteries
xstefen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,878
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 272 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
You could be right. I think all these phone manufacturers are looking hard at the apple "walled garden" approach. However, phones like the Note 2 (targeting the work demographic) will probably continue to offer removable storage. It makes sense as a way to keep work files physically separate from personal stuff.
I used to think that you vote with your wallet, and while that may still be true, if the masses don't really care about SD cards, and manufacturers can continue to sell phones without them, then we may see them disappear from the phone world.

So even though us hardcore phone users will avoid the ones without SD cards, our numbers may not be enough feedback to the manufacturers to convince them to keep making them to good old fashioned way.

I'll continue to buy ONLY phones with removable batteries as well as SD cards until I no longer can. If there ends up being one company (please don't let it be Huawei) selling them like that in the future, then that's where my money will go.

I'd prefer to stick with HTC or Samsung. LG and Motorola are backups to these brands. Everyone else isn't a serious consideration for me...so this is kinda important.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II, Iconia A500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Fellow View Post
I used to think that you vote with your wallet, and while that may still be true, if the masses don't really care about SD cards, and manufacturers can continue to sell phones without them, then we may see them disappear from the phone world.

So even though us hardcore phone users will avoid the ones without SD cards, our numbers may not be enough feedback to the manufacturers to convince them to keep making them to good old fashioned way.

I'll continue to buy ONLY phones with removable batteries as well as SD cards until I no longer can. If there ends up being one company (please don't let it be Huawei) selling them like that in the future, then that's where my money will go.

I'd prefer to stick with HTC or Samsung. LG and Motorola are backups to these brands. Everyone else isn't a serious consideration for me...so this is kinda important.
I am very much with you on that. Like I mentioned, I think the Galaxy Note line of phones will continue to offer micro SD storage options but I suspect the "S" line will probably switch to internal. I think HTC is already switching, their flagships, which sucks. I would actually consider signing a contract if that was the only way to stick with a phone that has micro SD available.
Antiochus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Palmetto Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,878
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO V 4G (retired), HTC EVO 4G (retired), Nexus 7
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 114
Thanked 272 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
I think HTC is already switching, their flagships, which sucks.
Well, that's it then. Screw them all. Back to the flip phone for me

In all seriousness...I don't trust the whole idea of holding down the power button forever in order to simulate a battery pull. Non-removable batteries may work for iPhones, but on Android, I think it just sets up more service tickets and is a hindrance to the customer.

Are they moving towards phones that can't be rooted? Or more specifically, how do you format all partitions without erasing the ("SD" data) when it's all one big drive? This has been tackled already I am sure...what are the Nexus guys doing? Also, how do you delete the porn from your phone before sending it in for service? Or what about those top secret documents that you have? How do you service a phone with sensitive information on it? I'll tell you how...REMOVE THE SD CARD.

Have you guys seen those Hitler parodies on youtube? I feel like making one where Hitler discovers that Android phones are all going to be sold with internal batteries and non-removable SD cards.
Palmetto Fellow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 89
 
Device(s): Kyoceria loft, LG Rumor touch, LG Optimus V, Kyoceria rise(NEVER AGAIN), HTC Evo V 4G.
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to DannySihapanya
Default Re: Thank u evo v 4g forum but I'm moving on up to the east side!

I just arrived to the evo 4 g forum(sale at radio shack) and you're leaving?

Enjoy your new phone.
DannySihapanya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC EVO V 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC EVO V 4G is Virgin Mobile's first 4G WiMAX Android device. And if it looks familiar, it is because the phone is the same as the EVO 3D, but optimized for this network. Release date is set for May 31st, 2012, for a price of $300 off-co... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC EVO V 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.