Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Regrets?

After 5/6 months of owning/defending/schooling people about this phone, Ive decided to throw the towel in. It is just way too tedious, Buggy and slow to be used as a normal phone, Simple tasks such as texting, Making calls, Taking pictures are all piss easy to do on other phones, These little tasks seem like a mountain for the hero. Battery life? Lets not go there. It got to a point i would use my pay as you go nokia 6230i for texting instead of my hero, Which has unlimited texts. Ive been trying to keep telling myself its one of the best phones and thats its a phone that has set standards, Defended it to the fullest in 'Whos phone is best' arguments at work and with friends, But after half a year now today ive just given up. I cant even type a short message anymore, The response on the right side is hit and miss to say the least but now its a struggle to get the delete key and the 'L' is basically dead. I have to write a message like this, Type a sentence find a 'dead' key then turn the phone landscape, Carry on typing text, Find another 'dead' key and then have to turn the phone portrait again. And so it goes on. Anyone else here feel that they regret getting this phone? I tried my hardest guys. I guess another hero will be joining ebay.

Advertisements
jabz is offline  
Last edited by jabz; January 20th, 2010 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I think you should contact your provider and get a new phone if you think it's broken. Or calibrate your keyboard. It's sort of almost impossible to get a "dead" key on a keyboard which is not physical, its down to software, and software doesn't just break or get affected by wear and tear... if it worked before, something has affected it and that something can usually be rectified.

Just out of curiousity, what phone would you go for that would give you the same sort of features as this one? Or would you move away from the smart-phones and go back to normal "boring" phones?
mmusaji is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Your phone sounds dead mate. Have you read my thread to speed up typing and calibrate the keyboards again. Do some house cleaning on your sdcard too. If you had lots of apps it may be full of empty folders. If its really bad do a hard reset.

Otherwise your phone just died.
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ziani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 825
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 68
Thanked 121 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Your kidding me...all I can say is either it's broken or you have just mistreated it. These things need to be looked after as Lekky said some house cleaning possibly needs doing, calibrate the keyboards etc. Maybe you have Apps/Widgets on there you no longer use so get rid of them. If you cannot be bothered to look after it then yes go back to a boring bog standard phone but dont bore us about it.
__________________
Ciao for Now
Ziani is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ongar, UK
Posts: 501
 
Device(s): Nexus S, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I notice that in all the time you have been using the phone, you have only made 3 posts here - perhaps if you had been more involved in the forum you would have got more out of the phone and overcome the problems you have with it?
__________________
Nexus S on Orange UK/ infin1ty 0.2.2 | Netarchy 1.3.0.3
HTC Hero/Elelinux-7.0.0-Hero-v2.0
phillevy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 45
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have been tryning to make people school believe me when I say it's the best phone but they keep saying the iphone is better but they can't say why. The only thing they can say is "HTC is shit".
Im still trying but it will never work.
Stupid iFans :S
SmallGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmusaji View Post
I think you should contact your provider and get a new phone if you think it's broken. Or calibrate your keyboard. It's sort of almost impossible to get a "dead" key on a keyboard which is not physical, its down to software, and software doesn't just break or get affected by wear and tear... if it worked before, something has affected it and that something can usually be rectified.

Just out of curiousity, what phone would you go for that would give you the same sort of features as this one? Or would you move away from the smart-phones and go back to normal "boring" phones?
Id hate to say it, But i was considering an iphone! But to be honest ive been put off touch screen, Il probably get the N900.. I should have waited it out! Oh and about the dead key thing, Maybe dead spots where a better phrase thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekky View Post
Your phone sounds dead mate. Have you read my thread to speed up typing and calibrate the keyboards again. Do some house cleaning on your sdcard too. If you had lots of apps it may be full of empty folders. If its really bad do a hard reset.

Otherwise your phone just died.
Calibrated countless times, The g sensor calibrating and the keyboard one. I will give a clean and look into reseting it. What's funny is that that side of the screen works perfectly outside of the keyboard. Maybe i could try downloading a new one from the app store? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziani View Post
Your kidding me...all I can say is either it's broken or you have just mistreated it. These things need to be looked after as Lekky said some house cleaning possibly needs doing, calibrate the keyboards etc. Maybe you have Apps/Widgets on there you no longer use so get rid of them. If you cannot be bothered to look after it then yes go back to a boring bog standard phone but dont bore us about it.
Lol.. so you know that i have definantly mistreated it right? Sorry i thought this was androidforums is it not somewhere to ask for help? Anyway back to the point. Phones been is a sleeve when not in use since day one. Dropped it from my bed to the floor about 3 times ever, So its pretty much in very very good condition, Im not going to get a brand new phone to then mistreat it. But yeah like i said above i will give it a good clean, Maybe then reset and re download the firmware if it helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillevy View Post
I notice that in all the time you have been using the phone, you have only made 3 posts here - perhaps if you had been more involved in the forum you would have got more out of the phone and overcome the problems you have with it?
Hmm.. I dont see how if i posted more it would prevented my keyboard crapping out on me? And as you can see i have been here ages. I dont need to post everyday to prove what i know or dont know, All the previous problems i had before this had countless topics about them, I didnt need to add anymore if the information and solutions where already there. I may not post much but i have been on these forums every other day since i have joined the place, Sorry to sound like a douche but i found that kinda silly.
jabz is offline  
Last edited by jabz; January 20th, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

dead phone mate... i came from using iphone, n97, winMo... etc now landed with my Hero for a few months now. its by far the best phone in terms of functions and features. it wud be a heaven if cpu can be faster.
chris4chelsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallGuy View Post
I have been tryning to make people school believe me when I say it's the best phone but they keep saying the iphone is better but they can't say why. The only thing they can say is "HTC is shit".
Im still trying but it will never work.
Stupid iFans :S
Nah the HTC is nowhere near shit. I still really admire the phone but i guess it was a bit too extravagant, Yeah it does the same things iphone can, But.. Lol i know il get bashed for this.. The iphone can do these things pretty much with ease, E.G not have to wait ages for keys to register or the buggy menu system, The HTC is a excellent piece of kit when it works, Which it does 90% of the time, Its the 10% where it doesnt that just make you think i payed good money for something that i shouldnt have to wait for updates or patches or workaround for it to be good. I want it to be good from day one.
jabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post

Hmm.. I dont see how if i posted more it would prevented my keyboard crapping out on me? And as you can see i have been here ages. I dont need to post everyday to prove what i know or dont know, All the previous problems i had before this had countless topics about them, I didnt need to add anymore if the information and solutions where already there. I may not post much but i have been on these forums every other day since i have joined the place, Sorry to sound like a douche but i found that kinda silly.
hmmm.. u have a pt mate. but good luck with the N900. i would never recommend a new phone from nokia. i had my n97 since day1 from launch, and that was my worst mistake and that was also my last nokia. i hope the new OS will work for u.
chris4chelsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
The iphone can do these things pretty much with ease, E.G not have to wait ages for keys to register or the buggy menu system
If you are still on contract I would get the phone replaced as you've obviously got a brick. Dead spots etc should not happen, you've paid for it so why not get a replacement? Gotta be better than forking out for another phone.
mmusaji is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4chelsea View Post
hmmm.. u have a pt mate. but good luck with the N900. i would never recommend a new phone from nokia. i had my n97 since day1 from launch, and that was my worst mistake and that was also my last nokia. i hope the new OS will work for u.
Thanks man felt like i was in a corner here But dont get me wrong, I still love my HTC, And if after i do all the things suggested, It starts working like it used to, I will be back to my old antics of putting all my mates down by showing them all the stuff my phone can do that theres can't N900 was an example, I will just wait it out this time, Let a new phone come out and see how it does after a month or so. But as i said if i get my good old hero to tip top condition i wont look twice at another phone!
jabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,952
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,752
Thanked 11,423 Times in 5,795 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Whoa, let's take a step back here and try to be constructive....

Jabz, I would suggest that the capactive screen is perhaps defective but you say that it's fine except when using the k/b. Is this correct e.g. can you select apps from the App Tray that are positioned against that side of the display?
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmusaji View Post
If you are still on contract I would get the phone replaced as you've obviously got a brick. Dead spots etc should not happen, you've paid for it so why not get a replacement? Gotta be better than forking out for another phone.
Il look into this, Thanks mate.
jabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Whoa, let's take a step back here and try to be constructive....

Jabz, I would suggest that the capactive screen is perhaps defective but you say that it's fine except when using the k/b. Is this correct e.g. can you select apps from the App Tray that are positioned against that side of the display?
Yep, As in the 'L' and 'Back' are both positioned at the bottom right, In keyboard mode when the phone is portrait they will not press and then i will need to go into landscape and then select 'L' or 'Back' but then say the 'P'or 'O' wont work, so i then will need to flip back into portrait. But it im selecting an app or going down the menu, The screen is perfectly fine.
jabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ongar, UK
Posts: 501
 
Device(s): Nexus S, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

It does seem like the only real problem you have is a faulty touchscreen - I've not seen many cases of that posted here so apart from that what is so wrong with the phone that you are writing it off completely?
phillevy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillevy View Post
It does seem like the only real problem you have is a faulty touchscreen - I've not seen many cases of that posted here so apart from that what is so wrong with the phone that you are writing it off completely?
Im not writing the phone off completely, Just like you i used to regard this phone highly, Its just that there are so many bugs with it, You buy something with the intention it will work, Not that you will need to do this and that to get it to a good standard. I just reset everything and re installed the new firmware and it has improved a lot, There mustve been a bug or some sort of deep error. The L button is still a bit hit and miss but atleast its working now, After a few calibrations i should think it will be good as new. The thing is i shouldt really have to go to all of this trouble to get something which i payed good money for, To work properly.. If you get what i mean?
jabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ongar, UK
Posts: 501
 
Device(s): Nexus S, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
Im not writing the phone off completely, Just like you i used to regard this phone highly, Its just that there are so many bugs with it, You buy something with the intention it will work, Not that you will need to do this and that to get it to a good standard. I just reset everything and re installed the new firmware and it has improved a lot, There mustve been a bug or some sort of deep error. The L button is still a bit hit and miss but atleast its working now, After a few calibrations i should think it will be good as new. The thing is i shouldt really have to go to all of this trouble to get something which i payed good money for, To work properly.. If you get what i mean?
Can you list the other bugs - I can honestly say apart from having to reset at the beginning to get my market working (which was a pain) I've not found anything that would make me change the phone?
phillevy is offline  
Last edited by phillevy; January 20th, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillevy View Post
Can you list the other bugs - I can honestly say apart from having to reset at the beginning to get my market working (which was a pain) I've not found anything that would make me change the phone?
Off the top of my head, Had problems syncing, The great amount of lag it has sometimes, Keys not registering properly, The built in youtube app acting up, Wifi disconnecting, Sometimes the phone is lightning fast connected to 3g outdoors and then sometimes its as slow as a snail, I just want consistancy you know! It only dawned on me today after so long and being used to putting up with all this that these problems shouldnt have to be there.
jabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ongar, UK
Posts: 501
 
Device(s): Nexus S, HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
Off the top of my head, Had problems syncing, The great amount of lag it has sometimes, Keys not registering properly, The built in youtube app acting up, Wifi disconnecting, Sometimes the phone is lightning fast connected to 3g outdoors and then sometimes its as slow as a snail, I just want consistancy you know! It only dawned on me today after so long and being used to putting up with all this that these problems shouldnt have to be there.
I appreciate how you feel but taking these things logically:

1. Lag is not an issue for most after the first update - make it like the iphone - just have shortcuts on the homescreen (no widgets) and run one app at a time and there will be no lag at all. You have to accept that the widgets are powerful and to do their thing have to use resources in real time.
2.You have mentioned the keys not registering - I'm inclined to think this is faulty hardware - really not sure but definately not typical.
3.Wireless data is a complex issue and bandwidth, network problems and signal quality etc can all cause speed fluctuations - I think we all get this, but is this unique to the Hero?
4. Wifi problems are often related to the router - you can't assume the phone is actually buggy especially when many of us have a rock solid wifi connection.
Sure we all have issues with particular apps, but that is no different to a computer, which is what such a smartphone should really be compared to.
phillevy is offline  
Last edited by phillevy; January 20th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to kwif007
Default

I just need to say I think some of the responses are just Damn right pathetic. Il make a mental note not to use this forum for help or giving my opinions.
kwif007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,952
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,752
Thanked 11,423 Times in 5,795 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwif007 View Post
I just need to say I think some of the responses are just Damn right pathetic.
Tbh I haven't read anything that I felt required any intervention, but if you think otherwise please use the "Report This Post" button on the relevant post to bring it to a mod's attention.
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
Off the top of my head, Had problems syncing, The great amount of lag it has sometimes, Keys not registering properly, The built in youtube app acting up, Wifi disconnecting, Sometimes the phone is lightning fast connected to 3g outdoors and then sometimes its as slow as a snail, I just want consistancy you know! It only dawned on me today after so long and being used to putting up with all this that these problems shouldnt have to be there.
regarding ur faulty touchscreen, check out the link below...is this something similar to u. u shld bring back to shop and replace it with another one
YouTube - Nexus One Keyboard issues - AndroidCentral.com

regarding wifi.. yeap, it cud be router, coz i have this problem too. try change ur router authentication method. (WEP, WPA2...etc) or change router. in addition, there is an option that when the screen goes off, the wifi connection will disconnect. u can go to setting and config so that wifi connection will not disconnect when screen is off. also if u r too far away to the router it will also disconnect. dont compare ur hero's wifi with the ones on ur laptop...
chris4chelsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
Yep, As in the 'L' and 'Back' are both positioned at the bottom right, In keyboard mode when the phone is portrait they will not press and then i will need to go into landscape and then select 'L' or 'Back' but then say the 'P'or 'O' wont work, so i then will need to flip back into portrait. But it im selecting an app or going down the menu, The screen is perfectly fine.
Is it perhaps a keyboard calobration thing?
JimR123 is offline  
Last edited by JimR123; January 21st, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

The trouble with the Hero (and presumably all Android phones) is that it gets slated for poor battery life, not because its rubbish with power, but because it's ability to do lots of stuff at once means people install loads of apps which do stuff in the background (like checking mail every 15 mins, downloading rss feeds automatically, twitter feeds, facebook updates, etc), and that drains the battery.

Compare it with the iPhone for example, and because the iPhone can only do one thing at a time (with the exception of the special built-in apps like mail and ipod), it uses less battery. That's not because the iPhone's better with power, it's just not doing anything all the time to use power, because it can't.

That's like comparing my Hero to my old slidey green-screen Matrix-style Nokia from 10 years ago. The old Nokia went for weeks without a charge, and I'm charging my Hero every day. The Nokia lasted longer because it didn't do anywhere as near as much as the Hero.

Would I swap my Hero for my old Nokia? No.
Will I remember to charge my Hero? Yes.

If you want a phone that does a lot of stuff, you'll need to keep feeding it electricity. If you want a phone with long battery life, get a 15 quid one which does nothing but text and phone calls.

Suggestion: Make sure you have no apps installed that do anything in the background. Anything that has notifications, anything that does automatic sync'ing, etc. Get red of them. Try installing something like TasKiller. Restart your phone, and use TasKiller to see how many apps are loaded into memory on startup. Any of those could be draining your battery.
JimR123 is offline  
Last edited by JimR123; January 21st, 2010 at 07:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 67
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR123 View Post
The trouble with the Hero (and presumably all Android phones) is that it gets slated for poor battery life, not because its rubbish with power, but because it's ability to do lots of stuff at once means people install loads of apps which do stuff in the background (like checking mail every 15 mins, downloading rss feeds automatically, twitter feeds, facebook updates, etc), and that drains the battery.

Compare it with the iPhone for example, and because the iPhone can only do one thing at a time (with the exception of the special built-in apps like mail and ipod), it uses less battery. That's not because the iPhone's better with power, it's just not doing anything all the time to use power, because it can't.

That's like comparing my Hero to my old slidey green-screen Matrix-style Nokia from 10 years ago. The old Nokia went for weeks without a charge, and I'm charging my Hero every day. The Nokia lasted longer because it didn't do anywhere as near as much as the Hero.

Would I swap my Hero for my old Nokia? No.
Will I remember to charge my Hero? Yes.

If you want a phone that does a lot of stuff, you'll need to keep feeding it electricity. If you want a phone with long battery life, get a 15 quid one which does nothing but text and phone calls.

Suggestion: Make sure you have no apps installed that do anything in the background. Anything that has notifications, anything that does automatic sync'ing, etc. Get red of them. Try installing something like TasKiller. Restart your phone, and use TasKiller to see how many apps are loaded into memory on startup. Any of those could be draining your battery.
Now THATS a good post!
mark1252003 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR123 View Post
The trouble with the Hero (and presumably all Android phones) is that it gets slated for poor battery life, not because its rubbish with power, but because it's ability to do lots of stuff at once means people install loads of apps which do stuff in the background (like checking mail every 15 mins, downloading rss feeds automatically, twitter feeds, facebook updates, etc), and that drains the battery.

Compare it with the iPhone for example, and because the iPhone can only do one thing at a time (with the exception of the special built-in apps like mail and ipod), it uses less battery. That's not because the iPhone's better with power, it's just not doing anything all the time to use power, because it can't.

That's like comparing my Hero to my old slidey green-screen Matrix-style Nokia from 10 years ago. The old Nokia went for weeks without a charge, and I'm charging my Hero every day. The Nokia lasted longer because it didn't do anywhere as near as much as the Hero.

Would I swap my Hero for my old Nokia? No.
Will I remember to charge my Hero? Yes.

If you want a phone that does a lot of stuff, you'll need to keep feeding it electricity. If you want a phone with long battery life, get a 15 quid one which does nothing but text and phone calls.

Suggestion: Make sure you have no apps installed that do anything in the background. Anything that has notifications, anything that does automatic sync'ing, etc. Get red of them. Try installing something like TasKiller. Restart your phone, and use TasKiller to see how many apps are loaded into memory on startup. Any of those could be draining your battery.
Excellent post... well put.
mmusaji is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR123 View Post
The trouble with the Hero (and presumably all Android phones) is that it gets slated for poor battery life, not because its rubbish with power, but because it's ability to do lots of stuff at once means people install loads of apps which do stuff in the background (like checking mail every 15 mins, downloading rss feeds automatically, twitter feeds, facebook updates, etc), and that drains the battery.

Compare it with the iPhone for example, and because the iPhone can only do one thing at a time (with the exception of the special built-in apps like mail and ipod), it uses less battery. That's not because the iPhone's better with power, it's just not doing anything all the time to use power, because it can't.

That's like comparing my Hero to my old slidey green-screen Matrix-style Nokia from 10 years ago. The old Nokia went for weeks without a charge, and I'm charging my Hero every day. The Nokia lasted longer because it didn't do anywhere as near as much as the Hero.

Would I swap my Hero for my old Nokia? No.
Will I remember to charge my Hero? Yes.

If you want a phone that does a lot of stuff, you'll need to keep feeding it electricity. If you want a phone with long battery life, get a 15 quid one which does nothing but text and phone calls.

Suggestion: Make sure you have no apps installed that do anything in the background. Anything that has notifications, anything that does automatic sync'ing, etc. Get red of them. Try installing something like TasKiller. Restart your phone, and use TasKiller to see how many apps are loaded into memory on startup. Any of those could be draining your battery.
Taskiller was probably the 1st app i got, Been using after every thing i do since the first week i got it, Have widgets for anything that will drain power on the home screen e.g the wifi/gps so nothing is running when it isnt needed to, Knew all of that already. But thanks though.
jabz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Hero
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

For tech lovers dreaming of a magical phone, HTC's 3rd Android Phone - the HTC Hero - seems poised to rescue the masses from mobile phone boredom. The design is a more sleek, sexy version of the HTC Dream and HTC Magic and both hardware and sof... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.