Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with HTC Sync

Just received the new Hero on Orange and found the forums. When I try to install HTC Sync on my PC I get an error message: "Error 1713. HTC Sync cannot install one of its required produts. Contact your technical support group."

I have AVG Antivirus which is disabled by turning the resident shield off.

Does anyone have any clues why Sync is not installing ?

Many thanks

Advertisements
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post More info needed

I doubt that I'll know but you need to supply more info, e.g.

Version of HTC Syn
Type of Windows: 32/64 bit
Version of Windows, e.g. Vista/Win7/XP
Tried with Administrator user?
etc.
nospamjl is offline  
Last edited by nospamjl; July 31st, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've tried both the software that was on the phone's SD card (1.5 ?) and what looks to be a newer version I found online. I get the same problem all the time so presumably it's some PC setting of mine ?

64 bit
XP
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 1 Post
Default Sync

I have so far managed to get HTC sync working on XP 32bit and in a virtual XP in windows 7, I have synced contacts and installed apps

Installing google developers SDK pack in 7 gives you the driver but fails to start. android adb driver is the issue here as far as I can see there is no fix for it yet

I am still messing around with the drivers for 7 if I have any luck ill post back
Richard diddly is offline  
Last edited by Richard diddly; August 2nd, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 26
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

is there a noobs guide to syncing anywhere ? i dont even know what it does to be honest !
robadub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 1 Post
Default RE is there a noobs guide to syncing anywhere ?

The HTC Sync software allows you to sync outlook contacts and calenders as well as install applications. ( for those people that have been using WM devices )

The software should be on the SD card of your Hero, Mount the Card as a USB drive and intall the software in the HTC Sync folder, (for windows only) Does currently have some issue with Vista and 7 as stated before.

Once installed reboot your pc and then plug your device in, launch the HTC sync software, plug your phone in, under the notifcations Tab on your phone choose sync HTC, you will then need to pair your phone, you can change the name of it at this point, similar to activesync. and away you go
Richard diddly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 1 Post
Default HTC Sync install

Install On windows XP

1.Plug Phone into Computer via USB
2.Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3.Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4.Reboot
5.Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard

Installing on Windows Vista

1- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
2- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4- Should not need to reboot on Vista unless you have UAC on.
5- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
6- People having issues with Vista may want to follow the 7 fix

Installing on Windows 7 (untested as away from home but should fix the issue)

1- Navigate to c:\program files
2- Create this directory structure underneath \HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x86\
3- Unzip the uploaded zip file to that folder http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VCAV799X
4- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
5- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
6- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
7- Reboot
8- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
Richard diddly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks. I've managed to install HTC Sync on a netbook which I presume is a 32 bit machine but of course all the info to sync is on my PC ! So it's a 32/64 issue and we just have to wait ?
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

have had the same issue with HTC sync on XP SP3, have installed then dis-mounted the SD and rebooted.
No HTC sync detection with USB Debug enabled or disabled, the drivers are installed as you can see the device appear when you plug/unplug the USB.
Have forced the phone side sync application to start be enabling "network sharing" (which works fine) then turning it off - this launches the Sync application on the phone and the Mount SD notification but HTC sync on the PC refuses to see the phone.
Have updated to HTC Sync 2.0.4 (from 2.0.2) with no change.

**** Rebooted the phone and now the sync is working, unfortunately it treats exchange and outlook contacts as different things so now have double the contact in my phone
blackisle is offline  
Last edited by blackisle; August 5th, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've just had a right hassle getting HTC Sync working. I'm running XP Pro SP3.

In the end had to reboot the PC and the phone, and even then it wouldn't work for the first 5 minutes or so after the phone reboot.

This is with the most recent version of HTC Sync from the website.

I have to say that HTC have a bit of work to do to sort out these problems if they want to take on the iPhone. I'm also suffering from the weather widget not being able to display weather at the current location, and I'm reading that some other people are not getting all their texts. I really want to like this phone, I hope it all gets fixed in this upcoming update...

Edit: I thought it was sorted but now it won't allow me to sync Outlook, only Outlook Express!
NiceCupOfTea is offline  
Last edited by NiceCupOfTea; August 29th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i have the same experience. i remember i had solved it out, but i forget now.
hutie1983 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

outlook had crashed and left a process running in the background - killed it and it worked fine
NiceCupOfTea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone have any ideas on the error 1713 problem and how I might install htc sync. I've tried the latest version, it does the same ... gets most of the way then shows the error box.

Thanks
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I already posted and got lots of help about this syncing problem about 10 days ago.
In the end I managed to sync and tether internet connection with no problems on Vista machines, managed to do the same on one XPsp3 32b machine and only to move files from phone to PC and viceversa on my XP sp3 also 32b netbook (MSI Wind).
Remember always that if you want to sync and tether you don't have to mount the mem. card and if you want to transfer files you must mount the card but you cant sync at the same time.
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexus View Post
I already posted and got lots of help about this syncing problem about 10 days ago.
In the end I managed to sync and tether internet connection with no problems on Vista machines, managed to do the same on one XPsp3 32b machine and only to move files from phone to PC and viceversa on my XP sp3 also 32b netbook (MSI Wind).
Remember always that if you want to sync and tether you don't have to mount the mem. card and if you want to transfer files you must mount the card but you cant sync at the same time.
The problem is that HTC Sync won't install on my PC. My PC recognises the phone but I can't get the actual Sync software onto my PC sadly. It loads on my girlfriends laptop but of course my info is on my PC and for some reason my old Sony Sync wouldn't load on her laptop - it's a bit more than frustrating ...
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I know all about it.
As I told you it installed just fine on one of my XP machine and not on the other one.
I invite you again to check the previous threads on this subject where quite a few fixes and tricks are listed to force XPsp3 systems to play nice with HTC's software.
The trouble is in the drivers software, which is one of the two programs that you install on the PC with the MySync package: you can't reinstall MySync until you have erased it totally from your registry and that's not easy task.
But before despairing try out some of the tricks listed in the previous threads on the subject, they often work and they are pretty simple .
Good luck.
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

I was unable to connect my Hero to the HTC Sync manager, but finally I made it

Here's what to do (On a Vista 32-bit computer):

1. On your phone go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and turn USB Debugging ON.

2. Turn OFF your Hero and OPEN HTC Sync on your computer.

3. Connect USB cable to computer AND THEN to your phone.

4. Turn ON your phone again.

5. Now you should see a sync icon aside of the USB icon on your Hero's status bar. Pull the notificatin bar down and click on the sync icon and follow the steps in the HTC sync manager on your computer.

I hope this would be at any help for Vista users and perhaps XP users too.
htchero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have looked in the forums but can't see anything relevant about registry entries to clean. Please assume I'm stupid and point me in the right direction as I still get the 1713 error so can't even install HTC Sync on my PC and therefore can't install the update

TIA
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htchero View Post
I was unable to connect my Hero to the HTC Sync manager, but finally I made it

Here's what to do (On a Vista 32-bit computer):

1. On your phone go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and turn USB Debugging ON.

2. Turn OFF your Hero and OPEN HTC Sync on your computer.

3. Connect USB cable to computer AND THEN to your phone.

4. Turn ON your phone again.

5. Now you should see a sync icon aside of the USB icon on your Hero's status bar. Pull the notificatin bar down and click on the sync icon and follow the steps in the HTC sync manager on your computer.

I hope this would be at any help for Vista users and perhaps XP users too.

I confirm that HTCHero system works on vista 32bits systems , when I can't get synced at first try.
Should even Htchero's system fail to properly connect and snc your Hero and your Vista 32 bits machine , you can switch off your telephone keeping it connected to the PC and to the open program, and then switch it on again.
Even if it has never been necessary for me (fingers crossed) , I have heard of people who switched the connected Hero 2 or 3 times before being able to sync
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can't sync my phone with the pc and it is driving me insane. I have got the latest version of sync which has been installed and uninstalled numerous times including installing and uninstalling the drive. I am running vista. I get the error "unable to find HTC sync on your pc....." when I try to sync from the phone on the drop down menu. I am beggining to wish I had got an iphone.....
xantr1x is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldn-j View Post
I have looked in the forums but can't see anything relevant about registry entries to clean. Please assume I'm stupid and point me in the right direction as I still get the 1713 error so can't even install HTC Sync on my PC and therefore can't install the update

TIA
Hi ldn-j just wondered if you managed to fix the problem as i have the same issue I can not get the htc sync software on my pc xp 64bit my error is 1722
There is a problem with this windows installer package A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personnel or package vendor action CA_driver install, location\....\MSI15DA.temp,comand
turned off all anti virus programs first emailed HTC but no reply as yet there are intereting HTC install log files in the TEMP folder though of which I have sent to HTC tech support let me know if you manage to get it installed cheers
quantumpeep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantr1x View Post
I can't sync my phone with the pc and it is driving me insane. I have got the latest version of sync which has been installed and uninstalled numerous times including installing and uninstalling the drive. I am running vista. I get the error "unable to find HTC sync on your pc....." when I try to sync from the phone on the drop down menu. I am beggining to wish I had got an iphone.....
Belive me dude: if everyone else (maybe after swearing a bit) can sync your very same phone on your very same sytem, sooner or later you will manage too.
Remember that before reinstalling HTC Sync you must uninstall the previous one AND properly clean up your registry of al files it will inevitably have left back.
C'm on, I'm sure you can do it too.
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Error 1713

I also have the same problem with installing hTC Sync on Win XP 32bit.
Every time I try to install whatever version of Sync I get this awkward Error 1713 message!
I digged around the system and from what I see the problem seems to be with the InstallShield version of the Sync setup file. The process is looking for a file ISScript.msi which in that case should be version 12 (InastallShield ver.12) but this file is nowhere to be found in the extracted folder in Temp.
I've checked the setup log and it always crashes when trying to load the ISScript.msi.
On my PC there are plenty of IS versions up to 11.5, but no 12. And the InstallShield support site says that this version is quite different from all the previous ones. There is no easy way to upgrade.
Problem is, that this file should be embedded with the Sync setup package but in reality it isn't.
Now checking other solutions and will post if anything turns out successful.
Jubaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,955
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,752
Thanked 11,428 Times in 5,797 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

Posting this as my Vista experience is zero and I'm hoping somebody else can assist Brad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I have a problem though, my Hero never syncs. I have the software installed, and the USB hooked up to my Hero. In the notification bar, I tap on synchronise with Windows and the status stays disconnected without anything happening. I have rebooted both the device and my PC, uninstalled and reinstalled as well as running the program as an administrator on Vista.
We've confirmed that HTC Sync is correctly installed, the device drivers ditto (handset is correctly ID'd in Device Manager) and the USB connection is detected (Hero was powered up whilst connected and "Connection Wizard" popped up and requested user to (re)name device. However HTC Sync still shows "Disconnected" in the bottom-right corner and selecting "HTC Sync" from the notification bar results in nada except "Disconnected".
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Posting this as my Vista experience is zero and I'm hoping somebody else can assist Brad.



We've confirmed that HTC Sync is correctly installed, the device drivers ditto (handset is correctly ID'd in Device Manager) and the USB connection is detected (Hero was powered up whilst connected and "Connection Wizard" popped up and requested user to (re)name device. However HTC Sync still shows "Disconnected" in the bottom-right corner and selecting "HTC Sync" from the notification bar results in nada except "Disconnected".
Thanks.
Brad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Error 1713

Finally I managed to detect the problem and it appears to be related to the com ports allocation on my system, as well as registry leftovers.
I've been running another sync software from Sony Ericsson and it had taken up the needed comms resources for the HTC sync.
As there's no point in trying to manually reassign the ports I uninstalled the SE software and performed a thorough manual cleanup of the registry. You need to also delete all HTC Sync related keys from previous installation attempts to perform a "clean" install. Be careful not to delete anything else important that has the letters "htc" in it!
After cleaning up the system from other sync software and the registry cleanup you also need to make sure that you have the latest InstallShield script running (ISScript115.msi). This should be located under \Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\.
Next installation attempt was successful and there was no Error 1713 anymore. HTC Sync now works fine.
However, the steps above could prove useless in other cases, but I think it's worth the try.

Hope this is helpful...
Jubaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubaka View Post
Finally I managed to detect the problem and it appears to be related to the com ports allocation on my system, as well as registry leftovers.
I've been running another sync software from Sony Ericsson and it had taken up the needed comms resources for the HTC sync.
As there's no point in trying to manually reassign the ports I uninstalled the SE software and performed a thorough manual cleanup of the registry. You need to also delete all HTC Sync related keys from previous installation attempts to perform a "clean" install. Be careful not to delete anything else important that has the letters "htc" in it!
After cleaning up the system from other sync software and the registry cleanup you also need to make sure that you have the latest InstallShield script running (ISScript115.msi). This should be located under \Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\.
Next installation attempt was successful and there was no Error 1713 anymore. HTC Sync now works fine.
However, the steps above could prove useless in other cases, but I think it's worth the try.

Hope this is helpful...

Excellent, thanks. I'll give it a go. Trouble is I'm not really sure what to clean in the registry. Do I just search "htc" on my computer to see what omes up ?
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

AT LAST. Thanks. Seems it was the Sony PC Suite that was doing it. Uninstalled that and then managed to install HTC Sync. Now it just says disconnected ... 2 steps forward,
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes. Try searching "htc" in the registry and clean up. Just be careful. Also delete any remaining SE PC Suite keys.
Jubaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldn-j View Post
AT LAST. Thanks. Seems it was the Sony PC Suite that was doing it. Uninstalled that and then managed to install HTC Sync. Now it just says disconnected ... 2 steps forward,

if it just say "disconected", then without unplugging the phone, just power it off and then on again, and it will connect.Happens al the time to me too but it's not big deal.
Good luck
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hurrah, phone connected, synced and updated. At last !

Any ideas if it is possible to restore the interweb bookmarks. I can see the thumbs on the sd card but do I just have to access them all again ?
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldn-j View Post
Hurrah, phone connected, synced and updated. At last !

Any ideas if it is possible to restore the interweb bookmarks. I can see the thumbs on the sd card but do I just have to access them all again ?

Put on your screen the " bookmarks" widget (HTC widgets) they should be there
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 80
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexus View Post
Put on your screen the " bookmarks" widget (HTC widgets) they should be there
I have it there but it only has the default ones that come with an Orange branded phone and doesn't seem to access the others. Can't find any way to restore them. Tried all the different menus I could find but couln't see any ability to import them.
ldn-j is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by htchero View Post
I was unable to connect my Hero to the HTC Sync manager, but finally I made it

Here's what to do (On a Vista 32-bit computer):

1. On your phone go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and turn USB Debugging ON.

2. Turn OFF your Hero and OPEN HTC Sync on your computer.

3. Connect USB cable to computer AND THEN to your phone.

4. Turn ON your phone again.

5. Now you should see a sync icon aside of the USB icon on your Hero's status bar. Pull the notificatin bar down and click on the sync icon and follow the steps in the HTC sync manager on your computer.

I hope this would be at any help for Vista users and perhaps XP users too.

Hi everyone, I've had similar frustrating problems with my HTC Hero on Orange and getting it to sync with Windows Vista 32 bit. I followed HTCHero's advice above, and perhaps the following additions may be useful to people:

Once HTC Sync was running I conneted USB to computer, then to phone and swtched phone on. Vista popped up message "installing device driver software", then located it and installed it automatically.

The phone connection wizard started on HTC sync, allowed me to change name of the phone and the date/time settings.

Back to the HTC Sync window and "Application Installer" option appears on the window alongsid Sync Now and Sync Manager. On my phone the Sync status showed as connected. I clciked Sync Now on the computer, and when nothing appeared to happen I also clicked Sync Now on the phone.

The Sync Settings Wizard ran giving me options to choose what to sync, but only offered Windows Calendar and Windows Contacts, and I could only select one of the two. I selected Contacts to see if it worked and it synchronized succesfully and imported contacts from Windows Contacts to my Phone Contacts.

So this aspect of Sync worked, but I'm very disappointed that I was unable to sync anything else (I use Outlook and wanted to sync my calendar and contacts. I had to save my outlook contacts as a .csv file, import into Windows Contacts in order to be able to sync them.) And I think it's completely rubbish that it doesn't allow you to sync both calendar and contacts.
richie2837 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Question

Is ther any significance in running the Sync software from the SD card, When I click it it dont work. runs the EXE from the website and loaded the software, but still wont sync my contats over the hero

g Phone into Computer via USB
2.Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3.Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4.Reboot
5.Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard

Installing on Windows Vista

1- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
2- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4- Should not need to reboot on Vista unless you have UAC on.
5- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
6- People having issues with Vista may want to follow the 7 fix

Installing on Windows 7 (untested as away from home but should fix the issue)

1- Navigate to c:\program files
2- Create this directory structure underneath \HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x86\
3- Unzip the uploaded zip file to that folder http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VCAV799X
4- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
5- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
6- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
7- Reboot
8- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard[/quote]
legend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default HTC Sync install eats connectivity

I just got the Sprint HTC Hero. I'm trying to install HTC Sync on a new (not particularly cluttered) 32-bit WinXP Home SP3 Lenovo S12.

The @#$!&%% install eats my network connection!!! The drivers for the network controller, etc. are gone!

I tried the version off the sd card and the version off the HTC site. Same result. I had to do a system restore to get my connectivity back. I've been at this computer stuff for a looonnnng time and I've never had an install do this to me. What gives?
bvanwely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default HTC Sync

If your are trying to sync Outlook 2000+ with Hero, forget it!!! it will not work
I have been bouncing emails with HTC techincal for two weeks with no Joy

I have found a work-around, sync your outlook2000+calender as this will work, but for your contacts, sync with Microsoft address book. this shares your outlook .pst file and should auto update with outlook. It is currently working for me

Not ideal but hey gota do what you can. HTC have told me to keep my eye open for a new version of HYC sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Is ther any significance in running the Sync software from the SD card, When I click it it dont work. runs the EXE from the website and loaded the software, but still wont sync my contats over the hero

g Phone into Computer via USB
2.Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3.Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4.Reboot
5.Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard

Installing on Windows Vista

1- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
2- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
3- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
4- Should not need to reboot on Vista unless you have UAC on.
5- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
6- People having issues with Vista may want to follow the 7 fix

Installing on Windows 7 (untested as away from home but should fix the issue)

1- Navigate to c:\program files
2- Create this directory structure underneath \HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x86\
3- Unzip the uploaded zip file to that folder http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VCAV799X
4- Plug Phone into Computer via USB
5- Under Notifications Mount as USB Drive
6- Navigate to Storage Card\HTC Sync Tool_v2.0.2\HTCSync_v2.0.2 an run
7- Reboot
8- Open HTC sync, plug in your phone and follow the Wizard
[/QUOTE]
legend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
ticho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 232
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to ticho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
If your are trying to sync Outlook 2000+ with Hero, forget it!!! it will not work
Strange, syncing my Hero with Outlook 2003 works like a charm via the HTC Sync utility.
ticho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The only possibility is that the british carrier's firmware messed up HTC software beause I have now zero problems with sinc or outlook on my Vista and win7 desktops and my XP netbook.
My hero though is unlocked.
Maybe you should consider unbranding.
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Can you run me through how you did it, because HTC are telling me that it will not work with Outlook 2000+


Quote:
Originally Posted by ticho View Post
Strange, syncing my Hero with Outlook 2003 works like a charm via the HTC Sync utility.
legend is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
ticho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 232
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to ticho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Can you run me through how you did it, because HTC are telling me that it will not work with Outlook 2000+
No idea, I simply installed and launched HTC Sync, connected the phone via USB, selected "sync with PC" from the phone notification area, and it worked.

That said, I'm having issues with HTC Sync - I usually can't even start it, it complains about a missing DLL library. Somehow it starts after reboot. But when it does, the synchronization works.
ticho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Driver Issues

I'm having some issues with my Vista 32 recognizing my phone. I can connect and mount the drive with no problems, but I can't get HTC Sync to work at all.

I think the Sync drivers aren't installed correctly. The phone (HTC Phone or Android) do not show up on my device manager list. All I see is "Unknown Device".

When I try to update the drivers manually, it tells me that the drivers are not for 32-bin Windows. I know I'm using the right ones.

Anyway--has anyone seen this issue or can offer any advice? Thanks!
TheSeanTeam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy HTC Sync problems

I have a couple of HTC Sync problems and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing them.

HTC Hero / Sprint
Firmware 1.5
Kernel Ver: 2.6.27.-533ce29d
Build: 1.29.651.1 CL69164 release-keys
Software Ver: 1.29.651.1
hardware ver: 0002

Windows Vista X64
HTC Sync: 2.05

Problem #1

Can run Sync after booting Windows. If Windows sleeps, cannot reconnect phone (shows disconnected in HTC Sync). Must reboot PC to connect.

Problem #2

Is there any way to HTC Sync via bluetooth? I'm so used to using Treo to sync via bluetooth and not have to have USB cable to sync.

Thanks!
HeroWorship is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dbpaddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Posts: 2,187
 
Device(s): Rooted Epic running Syndicate or Bonsai, 16gb Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 236 Times in 172 Posts
Default

The going into Settings -> Applications -> Development and turning on usb debugging seems to help with connection issues.

The problem I find and have seen with a few others from complaints on various forums is the program just stinks. The "syncing" is very rudimentary. It can easily overwrite contacts and appts instead of merging them causing you to lose info. The notes section on the phone is limited to how many characters it can take. It's bad enough the watered down PIM can't accept user fields or do any kind of advanced mapping like some of the more ancient OS's out there. HTC Sync has the ability to delete contacts and appts in Outlook without your knowledge or say. It even shows it in the settings if you look. I lost info for about 60 contacts it just deleted out of nowhere. It modified about 20 or so contacts that were never even touched. The program is just buggy. Love the phone and Android. Hate the fact that they make it only work seamlessly with google. It's just ignorant to expect everyone to switch to google's PIM when it's still behind the times. webOS is the same way and Palm is a worse offender because they had 13yrs of an excellent PIM they just kicked to the curb when designing webOS. They also kicked their Palm Desktop and syncing there as well. It's a shame that smarphones are getting all these new features yet get dumber and dumber when it comes to the basic features that originally made them smartphones.
dbpaddler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New issue?

OK, I have Windows vista all upgraded, newest version of firmware on phone, I have used both the newest HTC Sync and the version from the SD card. In all circumstances I am able to get it to sync correctly. It goes through the whole process of syncing, report and all, but will not copy any of the contacts from the phone to outlook (03'). Anyone have any thoughts? This worked for my Touch Pro.

Edit
After a couple of back and forths with HTC this is what we figured out, hope this helps someone. If your phone goes through everything seemingly fine but your contacts won't sync, check to see if your contacts are listed as google (listed next to contact name in contacts) or phone. If not listed as phone they won't swap over to outlook. My work around is to upload contacts from my last phone(windows sync), delete all from my Hero, and sync again.
Sparkhawk is offline  
Last edited by Sparkhawk; November 30th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumpeep View Post
Hi ldn-j just wondered if you managed to fix the problem as i have the same issue I can not get the htc sync software on my pc xp 64bit my error is 1722
There is a problem with this windows installer package A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personnel or package vendor action CA_driver install, location\....\MSI15DA.temp,comand
turned off all anti virus programs first emailed HTC but no reply as yet there are intereting HTC install log files in the TEMP folder though of which I have sent to HTC tech support let me know if you manage to get it installed cheers
i had the same issue on XP 32 bit. To fix it just give everyone full control permission on c:\Documents and folders\%username%\Local Settings\Temp folder and it worked.
iliko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): HTC Hero (Sprint)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Im having this problem now on XP sp3 (32 bit) I HAD the program installed but uninstalled it for some reason and now can't reinstall. Ive deleted all the keys and such and I still get the error - on the download or the install off my hero My only other computer is a mac and I really dont want to reinstall windows.

Anyone have any other ideas?
redtxstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Funky Town (Danemark)
Posts: 99
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Go to the HTC homepage, jus yesterday it has been released a new version of HTC Sync.
I had problems too with the old version on my Xp netbook (although on my Vista machines it always worked just fine) but this new version works perfectly.

On another note: can anyone tell me how to back up the contents of my Hero on a PC?
I would like to install a new ROM but I don't want to loose forever all my apps, files, settings, contacts etc.
Any Idea?
Plexus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #49 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldn-j View Post
Just received the new Hero on Orange and found the forums. When I try to install HTC Sync on my PC I get an error message: "Error 1713. HTC Sync cannot install one of its required produts. Contact your technical support group."

I have AVG Antivirus which is disabled by turning the resident shield off.

Does anyone have any clues why Sync is not installing ?

Many thanks

Hey could you eventually install HTC Sync? I am also getting error 1713 now
Someone please help.
surajitphukan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
sixpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 41
 
Device(s): Now: LG E720b (Chic) Then: HTC Magic (Rogers)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanwely View Post
I just got the Sprint HTC Hero. I'm trying to install HTC Sync on a new (not particularly cluttered) 32-bit WinXP Home SP3 Lenovo S12.

The @#$!&%% install eats my network connection!!! The drivers for the network controller, etc. are gone!

I tried the version off the sd card and the version off the HTC site. Same result. I had to do a system restore to get my connectivity back. I've been at this computer stuff for a looonnnng time and I've never had an install do this to me. What gives?

I used the HTC Sync and found after a reboot that my internet connection was screwed (slow, failed downloads etc) Used TcpView and it showed about 50 listening connections on port 5037. I guess this port is used for an Android debuging bridge or something. There was a bunch of processes with TODO: in the descriptions and a couple of services running. What kind of crap is this?.. I must have used a bad version or something because when I installed it a month ago or so it seemed to work fine (alltho basically useless unless updating ROM). Going to only use HTC Sync IF Rogers ever updates Android for Magic(which I doubt).
sixpack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Hero
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

For tech lovers dreaming of a magical phone, HTC's 3rd Android Phone - the HTC Hero - seems poised to rescue the masses from mobile phone boredom. The design is a more sleek, sexy version of the HTC Dream and HTC Magic and both hardware and sof... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.