Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Romania
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Money HTC Hero 1.5 - 2.1 upgrade

Hello - I saw that yesterday was officially launched the 2.1 upgrade for HTC Hero (at least in USA for Sprint)

My question is - how can I find out if an upgrade is available and how will I upgrade the firmware?

PS: my HTC Hero is clean, I didn't root it yet...

jikohu is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Check six!
 
Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Inverness, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,417
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 2,651
Thanked 10,872 Times in 5,526 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Slug slugbrem@gmail.com
Default

The sticky thread at the top of the forum contains all the latest rumour, speculation and scant detail on the update.

You'll know within minutes when it does become available - this forum will explode with excitement and relief!
Slug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Romania
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks Slug, but as I said - now it really is official (link)

I'm just curious how will it get to my phone

I'm not from USA, I'm from Europe [Romania] and I'm really curious about the flow for a Android user (what he must do in order to have the latest available firmware on his Android-based mobile)
jikohu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
The sticky thread at the top of the forum contains all the latest rumour, speculation and scant detail on the update.

You'll know within minutes when it does become available - this forum will explode with excitement and relief!
Thought it already had when I read the title of this thread!
JimR123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Hero (black) on T-Mobile
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikohu View Post
Thanks Slug, but as I said - now it really is official (link)

I'm just curious how will it get to my phone

I'm not from USA, I'm from Europe [Romania] and I'm really curious about the flow for a Android user (what he must do in order to have the latest available firmware on his Android-based mobile)
This is for the USA Hero, not European, so it's still not official for us yet.
When it does come it will most probably be a download on the HTC website
SirGaz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 59
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaz View Post
This is for the USA Hero, not European, so it's still not official for us yet.
When it does come it will most probably be a download on the HTC website
What concerns me most about the upcoming upgrade is HOW to save my phonebook. I understand that they will be obliterated, along with all apps, when the upgrade is completed. Basically, it seems to be a factory reset of the phone.
memphis9489 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Xyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,990
 
Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 3,186
Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,840 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis9489 View Post
What concerns me most about the upcoming upgrade is HOW to save my phonebook. I understand that they will be obliterated, along with all apps, when the upgrade is completed. Basically, it seems to be a factory reset of the phone.
It is, pretty much. Everything not on the SD card or backed up will disappear. How to save your contacts depends on what type of contact they are (Phone, Sim or Google). Google contacts and SIM contacts wont be affected.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines

If you see a post that needs a mod's attention, hit the button.
Xyro is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 59
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtiro View Post
It is, pretty much. Everything not on the SD card or backed up will disappear. How to save your contacts depends on what type of contact they are (Phone, Sim or Google). Google contacts and SIM contacts wont be affected.
I just save phone numbers in the conventional way. I do not save them to Google. They are not on the SD card - I don't even know how to do that.

They are on my phone's internal phonebook.

THOSE are the numbers that I want to survive the upgrade.

When you you get a new phone, Sprint always transfers these numbers for me. But I don't think they will be able to do that with this upgrade. Or, can they?

In any case, I'm wondering what the best way is to save my internal phone numbers so that, after the upgrade, I can reinstall them. Losing all my phone contacts would be a disaster.
memphis9489 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Xyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,990
 
Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 3,186
Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,840 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis9489 View Post
I just save phone numbers in the conventional way. I do not save them to Google. They are not on the SD card - I don't even know how to do that.

They are on my phone's internal phonebook.

THOSE are the numbers that I want to survive the upgrade.

When you you get a new phone, Sprint always transfers these numbers for me. But I don't think they will be able to do that with this upgrade. Or, can they?

In any case, I'm wondering what the best way is to save my internal phone numbers so that, after the upgrade, I can reinstall them. Losing all my phone contacts would be a disaster.


As for how to back up your contacts, there are apps that will save your contacts to the SD card. Or ones that can be used to store your apps with google (which would mean your contacts are safe even if you upgrade your firmware/throw the phone under a bus).

I'm not sure which apps can backup/restore contacts. MyBackupPro probably can, and that has a free 30 day trial on the market.

I'm not sure about what Sprint can do for you, this isn't the sprint hero forums after all. If you're on sprint, know that we're all jealous of your update being available :P
Xyro is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have bought a new HTC Hero 100 with 1.5 firmware version. Can I upgrade to Android 2.1 ?
mitra is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Xyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,990
 
Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 3,186
Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,840 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com
Default

Yep

Which network did you buy the phone on? The phone isn't yet available for some branded phones.
Xyro is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
redmelons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 35
 
Device(s): HTC Sensation
Carrier: Orange UK (EE)

Thanks: 18
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyro View Post
I'm not sure which apps can backup/restore contacts
I've just used HTC PC Suite to backup my contacts. Once the app is installed on your phone, you can backup using any web browser.
redmelons is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Hero
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

For tech lovers dreaming of a magical phone, HTC's 3rd Android Phone - the HTC Hero - seems poised to rescue the masses from mobile phone boredom. The design is a more sleek, sexy version of the HTC Dream and HTC Magic and both hardware and sof... Read More

Tags
firmware, upgrade


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Hero
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.