Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Inspire 4G

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 209
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Default Pricing for 4G vs 3g???

Right now I'm on the Captivate which is 3G. Let me break down my plan:

450 minutes (plenty for me)-39.99 I think
200 texts (also enough, barely) $5
2Gb data plan-$25


So all that adds up to like $75 + taxes and fees. Then I get a 20% discount through work. Bottom line is out the door I'm paying $63 per month. . The thing is I dont use my phone that much as a phone and I could get by for 25-30 a month on prepaid (which I was doing before). Money is fairly tight for me so I feel like I can justify ~$60 a month on the phone, but not much more.

So yeah all that to basically ask, I want one of these fancy new phones be it the Atrix, Inspire or Infuse, I dont mind paying up front up to even $200 (and I'm willing to bet the Inspire will be $49 at Wal Mart etc) but I see a big 4G premium it seems Verizon and others mandating a $50 4G data plan. That's $20 more than I currently pay and it just crosses that line from justified to not justified for me.

So yeah is there any cheap 4G plans on ATT? How much is 4G on ATT going to cost? Can you get a 3G only plan with a 4G phone?

Advertisements
shark974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Loiselle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): Samsung Focus (Windows Phone 7)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Loiselle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark974 View Post
So yeah is there any cheap 4G plans on ATT? How much is 4G on ATT going to cost? Can you get a 3G only plan with a 4G phone?
AT&T will not charge extra for 4G.
Loiselle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

yea as of right now they seem to be holding strong also your plans are always grandfathered in
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Loiselle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): Samsung Focus (Windows Phone 7)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Loiselle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
yea as of right now they seem to be holding strong also your plans are always grandfathered in
This is true, except for the iPhone's Unlimited Data Plan. I will lose that when I drop the iPhone. Sucks hardcore, but then again, so does the iPhone 3GS.
Loiselle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle View Post
This is true, except for the iPhone's Unlimited Data Plan. I will lose that when I drop the iPhone. Sucks hardcore, but then again, so does the iPhone 3GS.
No you wont I have it on my captivate right now
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Loiselle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 233
 
Device(s): Samsung Focus (Windows Phone 7)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Loiselle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
No you wont I have it on my captivate right now
Well, then I will have to speak to the people at AT&T... because one of the things I was told, is I would lose it... so, we'll have to see about this.
Loiselle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle View Post
Well, then I will have to speak to the people at AT&T... because one of the things I was told, is I would lose it... so, we'll have to see about this.
yea tell them to bit the big one, no way can they force you
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lsutigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 507
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle View Post
This is true, except for the iPhone's Unlimited Data Plan. I will lose that when I drop the iPhone. Sucks hardcore, but then again, so does the iPhone 3GS.
The only difference between an iPhone plan and another smartphone plan is the name. In July I upgraded to the Captivate then went back to the iPhone 4 and never lost unlimited data. If you have an unlimited data plan you won't lose it.
lsutigers03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers03 View Post
The only difference between an iPhone plan and another smartphone plan is the name. In July I upgraded to the Captivate then went back to the iPhone 4 and never lost unlimited data. If you have an unlimited data plan you won't lose it.

Yep and if they try and take it walk
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 209
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
yea as of right now they seem to be holding strong also your plans are always grandfathered in
Hmmm thats cool but does it change if you upgrade before your two years? I'm only 7 months into my contract.

As I understand it the early upgrade fee for ATT is about $400 (175 fee plus ~normal subsidized new phone price 200). That is still cheaper than buying the phone outright (generally $600) so I was planning on doing that. Then I would sell my Captivate on ebay (assume at least 200, possibly more) making the total upgrade cost to me 200 or less.

So if I upgrade through ATT will they be able to force me to do what they want contract wise?
shark974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark974 View Post
Hmmm thats cool but does it change if you upgrade before your two years? I'm only 7 months into my contract.

As I understand it the early upgrade fee for ATT is about $400 (175 fee plus ~normal subsidized new phone price 200). That is still cheaper than buying the phone outright (generally $600) so I was planning on doing that. Then I would sell my Captivate on ebay (assume at least 200, possibly more) making the total upgrade cost to me 200 or less.

So if I upgrade through ATT will they be able to force me to do what they want contract wise?
No they shouldn't be able to
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Inspire 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Inspire 4G was released as the first phone to run on AT&T's 4G HSPA+ network. The device features a large, 4.3-inch display, 8MP camera capable of 720p HD video capture, and a 1GHz Snapdragon processor. The name of the game here is ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Inspire 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.