April 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 177 Times in 68 Posts
HTC Merge Screen Repair Guide
This written repair guide will walk you through fully disassembling and replacing nearly all internal components. This repair guide can be used to securely and quickly replace damaged or faulty parts such as a cracked touch screen or damaged LCD.
This guide will help you to install the following HTC Merge part(s):
- HTC Merge Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
- HTC Merge Motherboard Slide Flex Cable Replacement
- HTC Merge Loud Speaker Replacement
- Safe Open Pry Tool
- Torx T5 Screwdriver
- Torx T6 Screwdriver
- Small Phillips Screwdriver
- Adhesive Strips (For Touch Screen Replacements)
- Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer
- First remove the back battery cover, the battery, the sim card and the memory card.
- Using T5 Torx Screwdriver, remove the five (5) screws and the two (2) Phillps screws as shown at Figure 1.
- Once the screws are removed, use a safe pry tool to remove the back housing by releasing all the clips located on the outside edges.
- The motherboard is now exposed. Use a small Phillips screwdriver and remove the three (3) screws.
- Release the one pop connector using safe pry tool at the left part of the phone. Also gently release the volume flex cable which is attached to the housing with adhesive as shown at figure 2.
- Using safe pry tool, start prying the upper part of the motherboard. Be careful as it is still attach with one flex cable. After prying the upper part, start prying the lower part of the motherboard to reveal the remaining one pop connector. Once it is visible, release the clip using a safe pry tool. You can now completely separate the motherboard from the front housing assembly.
- Using a small Phillips screwdriver, remove the eight (8) screws shown in figure 3.
- Next, gently pull back the flex cable as shown at figure 4. Then extend the slide and carefully remove the keyboard from the phone but be careful as the flex cable is still inside the housing.
- Remove the four (4) small Phillips screws. Then use a safe pry tool to remove the back housing by prying with a bit pressure. Be careful not to damage the slide flex cable.
- Now we can disconnect all the flex ribbon cables including the touch screen flex cable using safe pry tool. The touch screen flex cable will be covered with black tape. Gently lift up the upper and lower flex cable as shown at figure 5 then start prying out the LCD screen. The LCD screen can now be replaced.
- To remove the touch screen, use s heat gun or hair dryer to soften the held adhesive. Apply average heat to all edges of the front screen for about 30-45 seconds with a quick movement. Use safe pry tool and remove the touchscreen from the housing. Reheat if needed.
Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.