Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC One M8

Like Tree36Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default Battery Life Experience

I would like to hear some real life battery results, im not to happy yet trying to figure out if I have a app thats draining im currently using system panel monitor to assist .

Advertisements
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,401
 
Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 16
Thanked 2,880 Times in 2,640 Posts
Default

The phone hasn't been out long enough for most people to have even conditioned their batteries, so any numbers you'll get in the next week or so are meaningless. It takes that long for a phone to settle down to something like normal.
Rukbat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

The battery is amazing on this phone in comparison to the One 2013! I haven't even tried power saver mode yet. I'm impressed, but they did put in a bigger battery and from my understanding is that HTC programs the phone to be power efficient.
olbriar likes this.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
SporkLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 498
 
Device(s): Jitterbug
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 98 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
The phone hasn't been out long enough for most people to have even conditioned their batteries, so any numbers you'll get in the next week or so are meaningless. It takes that long for a phone to settle down to something like normal.
It's a lithium ion battery, there should be no need to condition it the way consumers used to have to with Nickel based batteries.

A full discharge/charge cycle is useful every once in a while (maybe once or twice a year) to help the fuel gauge calibrate. They need it every once in a while as lithium batteries constantly degrade and calibrating helps the battery control circuit know the low charge and full charge markers as the battery degrades.
hotkoko likes this.
__________________
Evolution of a phone geek: HTC Apache > HTC Mogul > Palm Centro > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > HTC Touch Pro2 > HTC G1 > Samsung Moment > HTC Evo > HTc Evo 3d > Moto Photon 4G > iPhone 4S > iPhone 5 > Samsung Galaxy S5
SporkLover is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SporkLover For This Useful Post:
Baltimoretint (March 31st, 2014), motionblurrr (April 11th, 2014)
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
It's a lithium ion battery, there should be no need to condition it the way consumers used to have to with Nickel based batteries.

A full discharge/charge cycle is useful every once in a while (maybe once or twice a year) to help the fuel gauge calibrate. They need it every once in a while as lithium batteries constantly degrade and calibrating helps the battery control circuit know the low charge and full charge markers as the battery degrades.
Thats what I thought, the days of cycling were over there is def something draining the batt. I am not a thousand BS apps kind of guy, I have couple of installed apps and that is it I might do a hard reset and and install no apps and try that for a day
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 203
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Should the phone be fully charged before first use? Mine's due tomorrow morning, don't know if I should put it on charge during the day and play with it when I get home from work, or take it with me and spend all day "setting it up"

Any advice?
rod9669 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod9669 View Post
Should the phone be fully charged before first use? Mine's due tomorrow morning, don't know if I should put it on charge during the day and play with it when I get home from work, or take it with me and spend all day "setting it up"

Any advice?
Im not tech. guru but I will say ive had a lot of phones recently and taken the right out and used them and never had a prob.
morjoie likes this.
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimoretint For This Useful Post:
rod9669 (March 31st, 2014)
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 203
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoretint View Post
Im not tech. guru but I will say ive had a lot of phones recently and taken the right out and used them and never had a prob.
Did this with my One X and the battery was always shite - it was on about 40% when switched on in the shop when they set up the new sim card for me. At the moment I'm leaning towards leaving it charge for a few hours before I start giving it a hammering
rod9669 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s): HTC One M8 Droid Razr MAXX (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Coming from a Droid RAZR MAXX, I'm very interested in this topic as well. With moderate use in good signal areas, my MAXX was nearly always at 60% or better by the end of the day. Poor cellular and/or wifi signals were the biggest drain on its battery life.
Dodge DeBoulet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

My first day of use was unimpressive. It lost about 3-4% per hour when idle. The reason I call this unimpressive is that it doesn't differ from other Android phones I've utilized. (My Moto X, loses about 2% an hour when idle.)

Since then, I have let it discharge completely (or as much as it does before it shuts down), and fully recharged. Today will be the first day of use after that cycle. I'll post my results back later.

Joel
JBHorner is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHorner View Post
My first day of use was unimpressive. It lost about 3-4% per hour when idle. The reason I call this unimpressive is that it doesn't differ from other Android phones I've utilized. (My Moto X, loses about 2% an hour when idle.)

Since then, I have let it discharge completely (or as much as it does before it shuts down), and fully recharged. Today will be the first day of use after that cycle. I'll post my results back later.

Joel
I got 20h on a charge you might say that is reasonable however about 15h was standby time with very minimal sunday use, looking at the battery log it was still discharging a little much even on the standby time I lost about 30% overnight wile sleeping witch was about 4 to 5 hours phone was not getting hot at all, Thank you for the input, I just did a reset on the phone and starting with a clean slate 100% stock im going for a full charge and see what happens. I had the same apps exactly installed on my s4 and when that would sit on standby it would flat line on the battery log so we will see .
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Take the phone out of the box and use it to get it all set up. Then charge the phone up. If all of your prescribed techniques work then why hasn't HTC put those techniques in the user manual? If you had the M7 and purchased the M8 you'll see the difference in battery life. When you first get a phone and use it a lot the battery will drain. If you want the processor to idle slower, put it into power saver mode. If you don't have power saver mode, I feel bad for you but I don't think it's extremely necessary. Come on guys.

People say they don't notice a difference in speed with power saver mode enabled. I notice the difference. It's only a bit slower, but it's noticeable to me. Won't kill me to wait. These phones run so fast that they put my laptops to shame.

Also, I have a friend with a Note and he leaves the GPS on and mobile data on in our building at work. When he jumps in my truck he is hogging my charger. I'm like look, you wouldn't need to charge it every damn minute if you would turn your radio's off on your phone. In our building you can't get a GPS or mobile data signal because the walls are made of very thick cement. So why leave them on.

I remember a Sprint tech in the store telling me I should leave 3G always on. I was like I hope you are not telling people this because you don't know where they work or live. I know you can make the radio sleep after its not in use, but I prefer to keep mine off. I'll leave WiFi on all day if I'm near a WiFi network. But we don't have WiFi at work so my radio is off.

And you guys need to take into account some of the apps that need the GPS or mobile data like Maps. I turn location services off or it will fire up during the day to locate you for better location services. Google plus does the same thing so I disabled it and Google Music. If I don't use certain apps I disable them.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Last edited by Granite1; March 31st, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

well I have everything set up totally stock, and use the hell out of my phone, web/phone/apps. First time droid owner ever, and I get a full day from 7am til I go to bed around 11 or so. I have yet to have to plug in because I was going to die.

I'm a droid virgin and have a few buddys that are somewhat savvy and have recommended some battery apps, although I'm waiting for the stock HTC extreme battery saver mode to be released.

So far, I'm happy with the battery life, use all day.. plug in at night.
theboldest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
 
Granite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,092
 
Device(s): M8, Note2(Wife) EL TEvo(retired :()
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12,414
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default

Battery use depends heavily on the user and the way the user set the device up.

Signal strength, screen brightness, screen on time, etc are all factors that can impact this.

No 2 people are going to set the device up the same, nor will you get the same results as the next guy. Just the way it is.

If you find a trick someone can benefit from, cool, post it up. If you benefit from someone's advice, throw em a Thanks.
teddyearp and Abird! like this.
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein
Granite1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,903
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Thanks: 410
Thanked 960 Times in 599 Posts
Default

I have been averaging about 5% per hour battery loss. When I am using it heavily I get around 8-9% loss per hour and when I leave it idle maybe 1-2% (a random text or need to turn the screen on always happens). So far the battery life kills my One M7's.
sikclown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

My battery has been pretty great so far. I'm currently sitting at 55% after 12 hours of pretty heavy use. I play on it a lot at work, and I have a 1.5 hour commute 2 times a day, in which I listen to books/music the entire time. This is with wifi/gps/bluetooth/nfc/gps on at all times and no power saving mode. I think I would have a pretty hard time to drain the phone in a day without playing too many games or watching videos.
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Thanks for posting guys. Goes to show the M8 has raised the battery bar. When HTC updates the phone with Super Power Saver I wonder what their tweaks will consist of primarily? Can anyone explain?
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tlicious1020 For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 1st, 2014)
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CrimsonPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: north alabama
Posts: 1,482
 
Device(s): Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 201 Times in 164 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlicious1020 View Post
Thanks for posting guys. Goes to show the M8 has raised the battery bar. When HTC updates the phone with Super Power Saver I wonder what their tweaks will consist of primarily? Can anyone explain?
The power saver basically turns off some functions of the phone. It turns data off when the screen is off, turns off vibrations, reduces screen brightness, and "conserves CPU power". On the last one, my guess is that it just downclocks itself, which should save quite a bit of power. All of this stuff can probably be done manually, but having it all in one option, and you can have it come on automatically at a certain battery percentage (I think), is really nice.
olbriar and Tlicious1020 like this.
CrimsonPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonPride For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 1st, 2014), Tlicious1020 (March 31st, 2014)
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,903
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Thanks: 410
Thanked 960 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlicious1020 View Post
Thanks for posting guys. Goes to show the M8 has raised the battery bar. When HTC updates the phone with Super Power Saver I wonder what their tweaks will consist of primarily? Can anyone explain?
The Extreme Power Saver mode will make everything data related On Demand as well as use a simplified UI, kind of like Car Mode, to access only the most used things like phone and texts.

Edit: I just found this link

http://www.htc.com/www/support/htc-one-m8/howto/465197.html
Granite1 and Tlicious1020 like this.
sikclown is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sikclown For This Useful Post:
Tlicious1020 (March 31st, 2014)
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

I know my M8 isn't defective. I noticed that my reception bars were stronger on my M7 and EVO 3D than on my M8. When I had my 3D deactivated in lieu of my M8 I noticed the difference. I wonder if it's possible that HTC has already implemented a piece of power saver? Why would I suggest that? Because the reception bars on my M8 may will show one or two bars before making a call. Once I hit the call button the reception bars increase in strength like flipping on a switch. I'll go from one to two bars to having five or six. From my understanding, CDMA networks in general are more taxing on a cell phone battery than a GSM network. Maybe HTC has figured out how to throttle back the reception until you actually need it, which in turn saves battery power.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,903
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Thanks: 410
Thanked 960 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlicious1020 View Post
I know my M8 isn't defective. I noticed that my reception bars were stronger on my M7 and EVO 3D than on my M8. When I had my 3D deactivated in lieu of my M8 I noticed the difference. I wonder if it's possible that HTC has already implemented a piece of power saver? Why would I suggest that? Because the reception bars on my M8 may will show one or two bars before making a call. Once I hit the call button the reception bars increase in strength like flipping on a switch. I'll go from one to two bars to having five or six. From my understanding, CDMA networks in general are more taxing on a cell phone battery than a GSM network. Maybe HTC has figured out how to throttle back the reception until you actually need it, which in turn saves battery power.
The M8 shows LTE reception with the bars when connected to LTE (even if you are connected to WiFI). This is different from previous Sprint phones, in my experience, which did not show LTE signal strength via Bars. Test this: Check your bars while on LTE then switch from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only and watch your bars jump. Also when you are making a call you are switching to 2g so it is showing that strength (I think so anyway).
sikclown is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sikclown For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 1st, 2014)
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
The M8 shows LTE reception with the bars when connected to LTE (even if you are connected to WiFI). This is different from previous Sprint phones, in my experience, which did not show LTE signal strength via Bars. Test this: Check your bars while on LTE then switch from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only and watch your bars jump. Also when you are making a call you are switching to 2g so it is showing that strength (I think so anyway).
No difference in bars turning on 4G LTE. I'm on Sprint by the way. One of the knowledge tech guys from Sprint told me the reception bars do not indicate data signal strength, only voice reception/signal. I was asking him about Sprint Spark and he knew his stuff.

I'm glad HTC changed the icons in the status bar for 3G and LTE. Those were long overdue!
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,903
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Thanks: 410
Thanked 960 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlicious1020 View Post
No difference in bars turning on 4G LTE. I'm on Sprint by the way. One of the knowledge tech guys from Sprint told me the reception bars do not indicate data signal strength, only voice reception/signal. I was asking him about Sprint Spark and he knew his stuff.

I'm glad HTC changed the icons in the status bar for 3G and LTE. Those were long overdue!
Are you sure? I am on Sprint as well and as I stated this is the first HTC Sprint phone to show LTE strength via bars. I am going to attach some screen shots so you can see what I mean. The first one is my LTE strength. I then switch to CDMA only and it shows my 3G strength. You may happen to be in a spot where LTE and 3G are around the same strength.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-03-31-21-11-00.jpg (44.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-03-31-21-11-33.jpg (43.8 KB, 44 views)
sikclown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Are you sure? I am on Sprint as well and as I stated this is the first HTC Sprint phone to show LTE strength via bars. I am going to attach some screen shots so you can see what I mean. The first one is my LTE strength. I then switch to CDMA only and it shows my 3G strength. You may happen to be in a spot where LTE and 3G are around the same strength.
There is a huge difference in signal strength now because I went to CDMA only under mobile settings. So the phone reads LTE until making a phone call. That's interesting, which makes my earlier theory garbage.
Granite1 likes this.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Last edited by Tlicious1020; March 31st, 2014 at 11:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Well I reset the phone to completly stock, let it sit untouched and still power was draining down was down mabe 8 to 10 % in a hour then i noticed i had missed a call they left a message and for some reason when I reset the phone I activated the visual voicemail trial, so I noticed the battery drop very quick so I decided to deactivate the trial and well all of sudden the battery stated holding a charge actually flatlining, if anyone has info on that app please share .
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,903
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Thanks: 410
Thanked 960 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoretint View Post
Well I reset the phone to completly stock, let it sit untouched and still power was draining down was down mabe 8 to 10 % in a hour then i noticed i had missed a call they left a message and for some reason when I reset the phone I activated the visual voicemail trial, so I noticed the battery drop very quick so I decided to deactivate the trial and well all of sudden the battery stated holding a charge actually flatlining, if anyone has info on that app please share .
Which carrier version are you on?
sikclown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Which carrier version are you on?
Sprint , I wonder if there is different bloatware for carrier to carrier
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,903
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Thanks: 410
Thanked 960 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoretint View Post
Sprint , I wonder if there is different bloatware for carrier to carrier
I have Sprint as well. Are you talking about the Voicemail Transcribing trial? Visual Voicemail is free on Sprint but transcription is 1.99 per month. I have that and my battery is not affected by it at all. Strange. Yes, Bloatware changes from carrier to carrier. On Sprint you can delete the majority of it which is nice.
jasonspeed likes this.
sikclown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I have Sprint as well. Are you talking about the Voicemail Transcribing trial? Visual Voicemail is free on Sprint but transcription is 1.99 per month. I have that and my battery is not affected by it at all. Strange. Yes, Bloatware changes from carrier to carrier. On Sprint you can delete the majority of it which is nice.
Yes I meant Voicemail Transcribing trial sorry.
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
 
Granite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,092
 
Device(s): M8, Note2(Wife) EL TEvo(retired :()
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 12,414
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlicious1020 View Post
There is a huge difference in signal strength now because I went to CDMA only under mobile settings. So the phone reads LTE until making a phone call. That's interesting, which makes my earlier theory garbage.
This was one of the changes when the LTEvo went to 4.3 and Sense 5.0. Threw me off for a few hours, until I made a phone call. Then I was sure something was wrong because my bars jumped to full service. Went and checked around a few places, and it was confirmed as a new feature, not a bug as some were suggesting.

The phone will show data signal strength (4G or 3G) until you make a phone call, then it will show voice signal strength.

Personally I like it this way. At first I went into the build.prop and changed a few things to switch it back. After a while I switched it back because I use data way more than I make phone calls. Seemed more logical.


sikclown and SolApathy like this.
Granite1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Granite1 For This Useful Post:
SolApathy (April 3rd, 2014)
sponsored links
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 203
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod9669 View Post
Should the phone be fully charged before first use? Mine's due tomorrow morning, don't know if I should put it on charge during the day and play with it when I get home from work, or take it with me and spend all day "setting it up"

Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoretint View Post
Im not tech. guru but I will say ive had a lot of phones recently and taken the right out and used them and never had a prob.
From the HTC User Guide PDF

Charging the battery
Before you turn on and start using HTC One, it is recommended that you charge the
battery.
Use only the adapter and the USB cable that came with HTC One to charge the
battery. When the battery power is too low, make sure to use the power adapter to
charge, not the USB cable connection with your computer.
1. Insert the small end of the USB cable into the USB connector.
2. Insert the other end of the USB cable into the power adapter.
3. Plug in the power adapter to an electrical outlet to start charging the battery

Left it on charge whilst I'm in work - ready to play in about an hours time
rod9669 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 80
 
Device(s): Evo 4g, Evo3d, Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Seems like there might be something to NFC and Bluetooth, im playing around with those for a few hours, I cant remember if NFC comes enabled from the factory or not but when I turned it off my battery again flatlined on the monitor .
Baltimoretint is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimoretint For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 1st, 2014)
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoretint View Post
Seems like there might be something to NFC and Bluetooth, im playing around with those for a few hours, I cant remember if NFC comes enabled from the factory or not but when I turned it off my battery again flatlined on the monitor .
Yes, your phone booted up with NFC already on out of the box. My M8 and M7 came out of the box with NFC on.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Last edited by Tlicious1020; April 2nd, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hove, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 347
 
Device(s): HTC One M8 - Unbranded, Stock 4.4.2
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 32
Thanked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Had this beauty for a few days now. My main concern was battery life coming from an S3 that had a 3000 mAh extended battery. All reviews were positive though so I took the plunge. I must admit like many on here Iím really impressed.

Yesterday I took the phone off charge at about 8 am and ran it quite heavily all day. My day started listening to a podcast (via Bluetooth) while MapMyWalk (so GPS on) logged my walk for about an hour. At work streamed from Spotify for hours also checking mail, Facebook etc. Lunchtime again streaming music and on the way home listening to audio book. Got home with about 25% and went to bed with it at 12%. This morning it had dropped to 4% but this still gave me another hour. I walked to work listening to a podcast with MapMyWalk running as well. Got to the office with 1%

So with heavy usage I got 25 hours. Not bad at all! That is without any third party battery saver.

I must admit the power saver mode is awesome.
sikclown likes this.
blenky is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
I must admit the power saver mode is awesome.
what power saver mode??

I don't think any have been released yet... or at least my m8 doesn't have it
theboldest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboldest View Post
what power saver mode??

I don't think any have been released yet... or at least my m8 doesn't have it
The Sprint version has power saver mode. However the Verizon wireless version does not. I'm not sure about M8s on AT&T and T-Mobile.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Last edited by Tlicious1020; April 2nd, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:25 AM   #37 (permalink)
Cleverness is not wisdom
 
SolApathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): EVO LTE | HTC M7 | HTC M8- ViperROM |
Carrier: Sprint-Rooted

Thanks: 408
Thanked 836 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlicious1020 View Post
The Sprint version has power saver mode. However the Verizon wireless version does not. I'm not sure about M8s on AT&T and T-Mobile.



All versions have the power saver mode, only the international versions currently have the "Extreme" power saving mode. The extreme power saving mode is supposed to be coming to the US variants soon.
sikclown likes this.
SolApathy is online now  
Last edited by SolApathy; April 3rd, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,903
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Thanks: 410
Thanked 960 Times in 599 Posts
Default

Chiming back in: My battery life has remained impressive, especially coming from the M7 which I always had to plug in by mid day. Yesterday I hammered my phone with calls, texts, pictures, internet, etc. If the phone could do it, I did it. And after 20 hours I went to bed with 38% left on the phone. That is without turning on Power saver or turning off WiFi, Bluetooth, syncing, etc. Only thing that was off was GPS when I wasn't using it (force of habit). My M7 would have likely finished the day in the 5-10% area after a full recharge mid day.
sikclown is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sikclown For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 3rd, 2014), KOLIO (April 3rd, 2014), SolApathy (April 3rd, 2014)
Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolApathy View Post
All versions have the power saver mode, only the international versions currently have the "Extreme" power saving mode. The extreme power saving mode is supposed to be coming to the US variants soon.
My apologies. Someone had posted that Verizon phones did not have power saver mode. Maybe the individual didn't know where to find it on their phone. Good everyone has this capability. I wonder if Apple can match HTC now.
SolApathy likes this.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Last edited by Tlicious1020; April 4th, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

My M8 doesn't have power saver mode yet it gets incredible battery life. I am with Verizon. Do everyone volume sound low until you get past half way.My volumes are low from the start don't think my M7 was like that. Hopefully Verizon will approve some battery saving mode. Again it performance well without it. Full charge is getting me lots of hrs but we all know screen time is what counts. As we speak I'm over 5hrs screen on with over 20 percent left. Which is very good to me. Can't seem to put the device down. It is hands down the best device I've owned. From the DNA to the M7, the M8 is the very best. Gun metal baby...
Tlicious1020 likes this.
dachillefx is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dachillefx For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 4th, 2014)
sponsored links
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachillefx View Post
My M8 doesn't have power saver mode yet it gets incredible battery life. I am with Verizon. Do everyone volume sound low until you get past half way.My volumes are low from the start don't think my M7 was like that. Hopefully Verizon will approve some battery saving mode. Again it performance well without it. Full charge is getting me lots of hrs but we all know screen time is what counts. As we speak I'm over 5hrs screen on with over 20 percent left. Which is very good to me. Can't seem to put the device down. It is hands down the best device I've owned. From the DNA to the M7, the M8 is the very best. Gun metal baby...
Maybe Verizon figured you guys don't need it. Or it does slow the phone down a bit.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #42 (permalink)
Cleverness is not wisdom
 
SolApathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,362
 
Device(s): EVO LTE | HTC M7 | HTC M8- ViperROM |
Carrier: Sprint-Rooted

Thanks: 408
Thanked 836 Times in 460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlicious1020 View Post
Maybe Verizon figured you guys don't need it. Or it does slow the phone down a bit.

US carriers are planning on adding the feature in a future software upgrade.
SolApathy is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SolApathy For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 4th, 2014)
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Something must have gotten pushed out...

Up until yesterday I was going all day and ending around 11pm with anywhere from 2-13% based on usage from a 7am unplug.

Yesterday same deal, but around 11pm I was at 42% and had way heavy use on my phone, tons of game playing, phonecalls, wifi and bluetooth on all day. Woke up with 25% and still going strong all connections on and playing dominoes with about 14% left
theboldest is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theboldest For This Useful Post:
Granite1 (April 4th, 2014)
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolApathy View Post
US carriers are planning on adding the feature in a future software upgrade.
Well, Sprint already has power saver mode enabled. I wouldn't doubt AT&T phones have it either.
Tlicious1020 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 203
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Compared to my One X battery life is amazing

Usually charge my phone overnight - with the x when it went into the dock at around 23:30 it would be below 14% Yesterday on the M8 with power saver on and no NFC or bluetooth it was at 52% Today at 20:44 without powersaver and everything turned on I'm still at 43% - I expect it to drop to around 35% by the time I go to bed

After I've had it for a few weeks and stop playing with it as much I think I'll get two days use out of it
rod9669 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Ok, well just finally got to 100% on a monitored charge.

I was doing stuff, email, playing dominoes, texting part of the time.

But 5% @ 10:09am to 100%@1:45pm About 3.5hrs to charge.

HOw long is it taking others, and how long should it take? My buddy says his GS4 takes only about one hour.

I have everything on also, Wifi, BT, bone stock phone config.
theboldest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

My phone doesn't take 3.5 hours to charge. WTH? Here is a screenshot after dropping my phone to 4%. It's been charging for 1 hr 20 mins and is at 56%. I've been using it on the charger as well. Are you using the HTC charger or USB?

Tlicious1020 is online now  
Last edited by Tlicious1020; April 5th, 2014 at 04:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

My phone charges pretty quickly and, unlike the last HTC I had, the battery actually charges when I'm using the GPS for directions and listening to BT Music... with my last phone, the battery would drop while plugged in.

This phone is fantastic. Love it.
shermas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 47
 
Device(s): HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Chromecast
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 8
Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachillefx View Post
Do everyone volume sound low until you get past half way.My volumes are low from the start don't think my M7 was like that. Hopefully Verizon will approve some battery saving mode.
I did notice that the volume seems to be logarithmic and not linear. 3/4ths to full volume is plenty loud but half volume and below seems quiet.
jasonspeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 412
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Default

With power saver enabled, I have had my phone off the charger for 16 hours and my M8 is at 5% battery power. My M7 doesn't even come close to matching this at all. Bravo HTC, Bravo! I've been texting, checking different forums on the internet, and playing music in my truck. I was on 3G, 4G, and WiFi today as well.

And I am running the live wallpaper called Alien Shapes in the background. If you have an M8 or M7, check out that wallpaper. Set it to random shapes and it will not cease to amaze. Every time you open your phone there will be a new, but awesome wallpaper.



Tlicious1020 is online now  
Last edited by Tlicious1020; April 5th, 2014 at 04:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the HTC One M8
Sign up for instant notification when the HTC One M8 goes on sale!
HTC One M8

The all new HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship launch for the first half of 2014. It builds on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, an UltraPixel rear... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC One M8
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.