Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > HTC Passion

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 93
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sense vs OEM Android

I have been looking over the issue surrounding multitouch. Whether it's patent related or else, I was reminded how HTC's Sense UI has it. Not only that, I keep reading about how much better the keyboard is in Sense as well. It really irks me that we wont have multitouch without rooting the phone (regarding the N1). With such an awesome device, it sucks to have to navigate otherwise. This actually makes me want a device like the Bravo/Incredible even more. Bah...

Advertisements
clokwork is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
rdalcanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 421
 
Device(s): Note 2!
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Several people say the keyboard on Sense is go good. I tried the Eris. I found the virtual keyboard on the Droid to be better. I can type faster on the Droid (and more accurately) than I ever could on my iphone. One of the biggest failures of Android so far is no hands-free voice dialing over bluetooth. When they finally release that version of the OS, it could be forever before HTC upgrades their devices to that version with Sense. The Nexus and the Droid will get it first.
rdalcanto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Nigelahmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Default

i think HTC should just sell their keyboard in the marketplace.
Nigelahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 93
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^ that would be a great idea
clokwork is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Nigelahmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Default

THIS GUY HAS HTC KEYBOARD ON HIS N1!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dFh9RKsN6w
Nigelahmad is offline  
Last edited by Nigelahmad; January 9th, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 93
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

me likey
clokwork is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 171
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Yeah, but if you get a smartphone with the Sense UI that is overlaid ontop of Android's OS, you are in for some bad news when it comes time for updating your OS. Yep.

When Google releases a newer updated Android OS, that will mean that HTC has to update their Sense UI before you can even update your Android OS. HTC is a hardware company. They will be sooooooooo slow in doing that it will infuriate you. In fact, there is a good chance that you may not even be able to get the updated Android OS because there is a good chance that HTC won't bother submitting the update. Why would they? There is no financial incentive for them to do so. They make hardware, not software.
blinky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 93
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Indeed you are correct.
clokwork is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Nigelahmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Default

but apparently theres a way to get it without having the ui...therefor, you wouldnt have to wait for htc to update if you have a "bootleg" version. lol
Nigelahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nashdroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 924
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible (retired), Samsung Galaxy Nexus (returned), Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (current)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 604
Thanked 1,494 Times in 318 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelahmad View Post
but apparently theres a way to get it without having the ui...therefor, you wouldnt have to wait for htc to update if you have a "bootleg" version. lol
Yeah, from what I've seen in the Android hacking world, there is a way to get the best of both worlds. However, I'd take Sense UI over stock Android, based on what I've seen thus far, anyday! It's just so smooth and beautiful! I'm hooked after playing with the Eris!
__________________
Something BIG is coming...
Nashdroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Nigelahmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashdroid View Post
Yeah, from what I've seen in the Android hacking world, there is a way to get the best of both worlds. However, I'd take Sense UI over stock Android, based on what I've seen thus far, anyday! It's just so smooth and beautiful! I'm hooked after playing with the Eris!
it is quite sexy lol
Nigelahmad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 57 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Yeah, but if you get a smartphone with the Sense UI that is overlaid ontop of Android's OS, you are in for some bad news when it comes time for updating your OS. Yep.

When Google releases a newer updated Android OS, that will mean that HTC has to update their Sense UI before you can even update your Android OS. HTC is a hardware company. They will be sooooooooo slow in doing that it will infuriate you. In fact, there is a good chance that you may not even be able to get the updated Android OS because there is a good chance that HTC won't bother submitting the update. Why would they? There is no financial incentive for them to do so. They make hardware, not software.
You are correct. But all that new hardware they make will need new software versions. They might not intentionally update sense for your old crusty phone but they upgrade it to put on their new phones and it trickles down. Yeah it will take longer but minus the 1.6-2.0 jump there have not been vast improvements in android anyway.
helicooper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 171
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelahmad View Post
but apparently theres a way to get it without having the ui...therefor, you wouldnt have to wait for htc to update if you have a "bootleg" version. lol

You're right, but I think if you get the latest Android yourself by rooting the device. I got no idea how to do that, but I heard that it wasn't all that hard. There's instructions on the internet. Anyway, I am not totally sure you have to root your device, but I think you have too if you want to do-it-yourself and put the latest Android OS on there. But the bad thing is that you don't have the phone manufacturer's supported version of that Android OS. And so with HTC, you don't get their jazzy Sense UI laid on top of the Android OS.
blinky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vido.ardes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,059
 
Device(s): HTC Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 213 Times in 40 Posts
Default

I've got a HTC Hero, and I am actually running an AOSP ROM (stock android). Sense UI is nice at first, but it is quite intensive on the hardware, and to be honest there is only two things I miss: The keyboard (which is the best I have used IMHO) and the smartdialing. But I think the the stock android runs quicker, and it also looks better too.

As for the delays, it can be frustrating. We were stuck on Android 1.5, which ment, no googles, no navigation, no proper Bluetooth... we were promised an update to 2.0, but haven't heard anything since september. Because HTC have to tinker so much with the sense ui it take a long time to get any updates, and I now I have a standard ROM, I am much happier with the phone in general
vido.ardes is offline  
Last edited by vido.ardes; January 16th, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 171
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelahmad View Post
i think HTC should just sell their keyboard in the marketplace.

I think there is a keyboard in the Android market called the "Better keyboard" or something like that. People that favor the iPhone keyboard over the Android keyboard would probably like it. It is similar to the iPhone keyboard in that it has more space between the keys. You can choose the color of the keys also.
blinky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ruben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,152
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 106
Thanked 349 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Is there anyway to get a multitouch keyboard??
Ruben is offline  
Last edited by Ruben; January 16th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 171
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
Is there anyway to get a multitouch keyboard??

It would be nice to see multitouch in a browser so you can zoom in and out intuitively. However, why would you want multitouch in a keyboard? You can only click on one key at a time.
blinky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 984
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
It would be nice to see multitouch in a browser so you can zoom in and out intuitively. However, why would you want multitouch in a keyboard? You can only click on one key at a time.
Shift+a key. Or pressing one letter then another even though both arepressed at the same time allows for fasting typing.
Mykpfsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicooper View Post
You are correct. But all that new hardware they make will need new software versions. They might not intentionally update sense for your old crusty phone but they upgrade it to put on their new phones and it trickles down. Yeah it will take longer but minus the 1.6-2.0 jump there have not been vast improvements in android anyway.
I would have to disagree. Comming from the g1 to the nexus one was a huge improvement! Just about every aspect of the os has some form of improvement. IMO some things are even better than the sense UI. (Image gallery/ video player, animated wallpapers, facebook integration in contacts and messaging, multitouch in 3rd part apps,). Hold a N1 next to a hero and there is no contest.
Oh, and there is multitouch in the N1's keyboard.

Yes, sense will eventualy have all these features and more, but when? By the time sense gets upgraded to 2.1, my nexus one will probably have 2.5(the droid too).

Android is evolving too fast for these third party overlays.It works great for winmo because the os bearly gets updates.
prowler63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 984
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler63 View Post
Yes, sense will eventualy have all these features and more, but when? By the time sense gets upgraded to 2.1, my nexus one will probably have 2.5(the droid too).

Android is evolving too fast for these third party overlays.It works great for winmo because the os bearly gets updates.
Yeah you're taking it a bit far. Last I checked there is not delay in the Droid Eris getting its 2.1 update in Q1 of this year which means it could get updated before the N1 comes out on Verizon.
Now its true you wont get Sense on every little Android update. But HTC seems to be doing a good job (skipped 2.0 and went straight to 2.1). Keep in mind carriers have a say in upgrades.
Mykpfsu is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kyler13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 1,637
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 477
Thanked 359 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
It would be nice to see multitouch in a browser so you can zoom in and out intuitively. However, why would you want multitouch in a keyboard? You can only click on one key at a time.
I wondered the same thing awhile back and then realized that when you're typing with your thumbs, multi-touch allows the registration of a soft key you hit with your right thumb before you lift your left thumb (and vice versa). This becomes an issue for fast typing if you don't have multi-touch. You end up with missed input just about every other keystroke.
kyler13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 171
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler13 View Post
I wondered the same thing awhile back and then realized that when you're typing with your thumbs, multi-touch allows the registration of a soft key you hit with your right thumb before you lift your left thumb (and vice versa). This becomes an issue for fast typing if you don't have multi-touch. You end up with missed input just about every other keystroke.

What's a soft key?
blinky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Buy the HTC Passion
Sign up for instant notification when the HTC Passion goes on sale!
HTC Passion

The HTC Passion is largely believed to have launched as the Nexus One. However, just as the HTC Dream launched after the T-Mobile G1 (both being identical phones), we're keeping the HTC Passion on the list as an additional phone/brand until the... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > HTC Passion
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.