Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound

Like Tree129Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #51 (permalink)
Jolly Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,474
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,741
Thanked 6,452 Times in 3,930 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbeltkid17 View Post
i wish haha but do you think it will cause that much of a headache to developers when the source coding is released or may it already be built in to have the captive buttons working?

You don't need to wish , it is supposed to be built in, the ability to not use/hide the on screen buttons..

Advertisements
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #52 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
blkbeltkid17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia, United States Of America
Posts: 4,189
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rooted Motorola Xoom & Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 292
Thanked 640 Times in 449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
You don't need to wish , it is supposed to be built in, the ability to not use/hide the on screen buttons..
haha i read that wrong i though you were talking about hiding the captive buttons lol
__________________
~kid~ (AF Contributor)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Motorola XOOM, & Asus Nexus 7 (Rooted & Unlocked)
If something needs attention, Report it /!\.
If someone helped you, hit Thanks to show it.

blkbeltkid17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington D.C
Posts: 213
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus ,Samsung Facsinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Default

The apps on our current phone should be compatable with ICS right???
ISASoilder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: B'more
Posts: 1,804
 
Device(s): LG G4, S4 (VZW)[died a early death] , (old)Galaxy Nexus (LTE), (old)HTC Incredible, (oldest phone)Sa
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,633
Thanked 790 Times in 484 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISASoilder View Post
The apps on our current phone should be compatable with ICS right???
Not necessarily, Apps will need to be updated to be compatible with ICS "probably". Most authors will update their apps though. (unless the app has been abandoned)
Crashumbc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #55 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
blkbeltkid17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia, United States Of America
Posts: 4,189
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rooted Motorola Xoom & Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 292
Thanked 640 Times in 449 Posts
Default

I thought the developers already had the stuff they needed to make the apps compatible with ICS
blkbeltkid17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbeltkid17 View Post
I thought the developers already had the stuff they needed to make the apps compatible with ICS
I am sure they do. It's just a matter of setting them up for ICS. If an app has a lazy dev then it might take awhile. If the app has been abandoned, then we won't see anything for it, like what was posted above.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vzwuser76 For This Useful Post:
Crashumbc (October 10th, 2011)
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
blkbeltkid17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia, United States Of America
Posts: 4,189
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rooted Motorola Xoom & Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 292
Thanked 640 Times in 449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
I am sure they do. It's just a matter of setting them up for ICS. If an app has a lazy dev then it might take awhile. If the app has been abandoned, then we won't see anything for it, like what was posted above.

I didn't take much to go from éclair to froyo but from froyo to honeycomb was a lot so he is to hoping it won't be that much to go from froyo to ICS
blkbeltkid17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbeltkid17 View Post
I didn't take much to go from éclair to froyo but from froyo to honeycomb was a lot so he is to hoping it won't be that much to go from froyo to ICS
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. As far as phones go it was Cupcake to Donut to Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. Honeycomb wasn't available on phones, only tablets. As far as the Vigor, that will be going from GB to ICS.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
blkbeltkid17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia, United States Of America
Posts: 4,189
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rooted Motorola Xoom & Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 292
Thanked 640 Times in 449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. As far as phones go it was Cupcake to Donut to Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. Honeycomb wasn't available on phones, only tablets. As far as the Vigor, that will be going from GB to ICS.

Yeah I know but as all the apps alot when from froyo to HC and froyo to GB so they will be supported on tablets and phones
blkbeltkid17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jikhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible (WiFi only)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 184 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Not sure guys, ICS has a lot of new cool features (large and small) that were pretty impressive. Although I didn't really want a Samsung device, I may have to go ahead and jump on the Galaxy Nexus. They closed the presentation stating that ICS was now available to developers. So it could and may be 6-10 mos. before we see phones getting updated...maybe less time for newer phones.
jikhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jikhead For This Useful Post:
2010 ZR1 (October 19th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #61 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
blkbeltkid17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia, United States Of America
Posts: 4,189
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rooted Motorola Xoom & Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 292
Thanked 640 Times in 449 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
Not sure guys, ICS has a lot of new cool features (large and small) that were pretty impressive. Although I didn't really want a Samsung device, I may have to go ahead and jump on the Galaxy Nexus. They closed the presentation stating that ICS was now available to developers. So it could and may be 6-10 mos. before we see phones getting updated...maybe less time for newer phones.
just the SDK was released meaning that developers can work on apps but i know i am waiting on the source code so the modding community can get a hold of it and if it cn be ported to older phones or if a rom can be made to the phones out now
blkbeltkid17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 114
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbeltkid17 View Post
just the SDK was released meaning that developers can work on apps but i know i am waiting on the source code so the modding community can get a hold of it and if it cn be ported to older phones or if a rom can be made to the phones out now
Yeah, I wonder how long it will be until they release the source.
compchick813 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Skipdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington State
Gender: Male
Posts: 406
 
Device(s): Previous: HTC Incredible. Now: HTC DNA
Carrier: Verizon Wireless.

Thanks: 268
Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Shoot if Vigor dose not ship with ICS I'm going Prime. After seeing ICS I don't care about GB one bit anymore.
Skipdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jikhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible (WiFi only)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 184 Times in 106 Posts
Default

HTC: We're reviewing Ice Cream Sandwich and determining our plans -- Engadget

If it doesn't ship with ICS, I'd say you'll be many months away before it is upgraded. I'm guessing no sooner than 6 mos., probably more. And it looks like of all the HTC phones on Verizon, that this phone will be the only one to get upgraded.
jikhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #65 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DarbagDarbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Burgh & Fort Worth
Posts: 701
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 438
Thanked 374 Times in 139 Posts
Default

yeah but it was announced today that basically any phone with 2.3 can be upgraded to 4.0.

I know that isn't a solid fact, but look at this...

Google confirms Nexus S will get Ice Cream Sandwich -- for real this time (Gingerbread devices, too) -- Engadget

"Okay, so we've already seen Ice Cream Sandwich running on the Nexus S, but that was decidedly... unofficial. We've just heard straight from Google's Gabe Cohen that the Nexus S will definitely be getting ICS. In fact, both he and Matias Duarte think most Gingerbread devices will see an upgrade, saying: "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device." It's hardly a surprise and there's no specific word on timing just yet, but hopefully it won't take long to move that vanilla Android device up to something with a breaded exterior.
"


so there is a good chance I think that if the vigor doesnt come with ics (probably wont), then it shouldn't be too long before it can.
__________________
Quote:
From Steven58: "If the HTC Incredible was actually discontinued after being out for a month, I'll eat my Yankees cap."
Join The Galaxy Nexus Group

Official Incredible Wallpaper Thread
DarbagDarbag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: B'more
Posts: 1,804
 
Device(s): LG G4, S4 (VZW)[died a early death] , (old)Galaxy Nexus (LTE), (old)HTC Incredible, (oldest phone)Sa
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,633
Thanked 790 Times in 484 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbagDbag View Post
yeah but it was announced today that basically any phone with 2.3 can be upgraded to 4.0.

I know that isn't a solid fact, but look at this...

Google confirms Nexus S will get Ice Cream Sandwich -- for real this time (Gingerbread devices, too) -- Engadget

"Okay, so we've already seen Ice Cream Sandwich running on the Nexus S, but that was decidedly... unofficial. We've just heard straight from Google's Gabe Cohen that the Nexus S will definitely be getting ICS. In fact, both he and Matias Duarte think most Gingerbread devices will see an upgrade, saying: "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device." It's hardly a surprise and there's no specific word on timing just yet, but hopefully it won't take long to move that vanilla Android device up to something with a breaded exterior.
"


so there is a good chance I think that if the vigor doesnt come with ics (probably wont), then it shouldn't be too long before it can.

while I think it will come, HTC's Sense over lay will add a delay. I love Sense but it does add time to roll outs on phones...

I'm kind of interested to compare Sense 3.5 (supposedly what vigor comes with) with ICS as far as the UI functionality is concerned.
Crashumbc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 316
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 70
Thanked 131 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
HTC: We're reviewing Ice Cream Sandwich and determining our plans -- Engadget

If it doesn't ship with ICS, I'd say you'll be many months away before it is upgraded. I'm guessing no sooner than 6 mos., probably more. And it looks like of all the HTC phones on Verizon, that this phone will be the only one to get upgraded.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but based on past experience, you won't see ICS on the Rezound for 6 months at the very earliest (edit adds somebody I noticed after posting who agrees on this timeframe, emphasis added). It could easily turn into 8 months or a year. For a lot of us, that's 25%-50% of the time you'll use the phone. Of course, rooters will be able to get it sooner, but not with Sense, which is a large reason I've been sticking with the HTC phones.

I just don't want to see a bunch of negativity against HTC and disappointment on here when ICS takes a while to come. See the Thunderbolt forums for examples of this. I bought my Thunderbolt knowing the issues going in--and I love that phone (with its extended battery).

Slow upgrading is how things have gone in the past. Remember, it has to pass both Verizon and HTC development and testing. You should purchase the phone because you're happy with the way it runs, more or less, at the time you buy it. If you've gotta have ICS, you should at least look at the Galaxy Nexus (I am torn, because I've always liked my HTC Android phones, and have had a bad experience with a couple of Samsung "dumb" phones).
Puppa is offline  
Last edited by Puppa; October 19th, 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Noticed a similar post, then screwed up :p
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppa For This Useful Post:
MoPhoMan (October 24th, 2011)
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
hovercraftdriver25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 252
 
Device(s): Rooted Droid Incredible rocking MIUI
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 56
Thanked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Default

From Engadget:

"We've just heard straight from Google's Gabe Cohen that the Nexus S will definitely be getting ICS. In fact, both he and Matias Duarte think most Gingerbread devices will see an upgrade, saying: "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device." It's hardly a surprise and there's no specific word on timing just yet, but hopefully it won't take long to move that vanilla Android device up to something with a breaded exterior."

Just read on Phandroid that Razr is going to get it too. Think I read where both are estimated at "early 2012" timeframe, so look for it next August, LOL.

Anyway, seems pretty likely that HTC will promise same thing for Vigzound
hovercraftdriver25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jikhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible (WiFi only)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 184 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Some of you are really hopeful on the Rezound getting ICS in the 1st Q of 2012, which I don't think will happen. Based on HTC's track record, what if anything implies that this phone will get it extra sooner than previous phones? At the earliest, 6 mos. and could go all the way to the end of 2012. Although I think HTC will try, most of their efforts are going to be sticking ICS in a new phone from scratch, which may be easier to do.

Using my Incredible as an example, I purchased on release day in April 2010. Everyone including HTC said that Froyo was coming. I don't believe my phone got it until October or November...6-7 mos. later. Gingerbread was supposed to be released back in late spring/early summer. It was released, what in September, then pulled back due to problems. So it's been another 6-7 mos. track record and still waiting on Gingerbread.

So, if you're hoping to buy the Rezound and have ICS in Jan.-March.....you're crazy. Like what previous person said, don't buy this phone on this merit only' buy it because you like the way it is when you buy it. The RAZR will have ICS before the Rezound.
jikhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #70 (permalink)
Jolly Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,474
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,741
Thanked 6,452 Times in 3,930 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppa View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade, but based on past experience, you won't see ICS on the Rezound for 6 months at the very earliest (edit adds somebody I noticed after posting who agrees on this timeframe, emphasis added). It could easily turn into 8 months or a year. For a lot of us, that's 25%-50% of the time you'll use the phone. Of course, rooters will be able to get it sooner, but not with Sense, which is a large reason I've been sticking with the HTC phones.

I just don't want to see a bunch of negativity against HTC and disappointment on here when ICS takes a while to come. See the Thunderbolt forums for examples of this. I bought my Thunderbolt knowing the issues going in--and I love that phone (with its extended battery).

Slow upgrading is how things have gone in the past. Remember, it has to pass both Verizon and HTC development and testing. You should purchase the phone because you're happy with the way it runs, more or less, at the time you buy it. If you've gotta have ICS, you should at least look at the Galaxy Nexus (I am torn, because I've always liked my HTC Android phones, and have had a bad experience with a couple of Samsung "dumb" phones).
Completely agree. ICS looks complex in the sense that getting sense to work with it will be a pain. *IF* this phone comes out soon we will be waiting AT LEAST till april i would guess. (at the earliest)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
Some of you are really hopeful on the Rezound getting ICS in the 1st Q of 2012, which I don't think will happen. Based on HTC's track record, what if anything implies that this phone will get it extra sooner than previous phones? At the earliest, 6 mos. and could go all the way to the end of 2012. Although I think HTC will try, most of their efforts are going to be sticking ICS in a new phone from scratch, which may be easier to do.

Using my Incredible as an example, I purchased on release day in April 2010. Everyone including HTC said that Froyo was coming. I don't believe my phone got it until October or November...6-7 mos. later. Gingerbread was supposed to be released back in late spring/early summer. It was released, what in September, then pulled back due to problems. So it's been another 6-7 mos. track record and still waiting on Gingerbread.

So, if you're hoping to buy the Rezound and have ICS in Jan.-March.....you're crazy. Like what previous person said, don't buy this phone on this merit only' buy it because you like the way it is when you buy it. The RAZR will have ICS before the Rezound.
Froyo started rolling out first week of aug which was still 4 months after release. Your point is completely valid still though. Eclair to Froyo was a walk in a park, any phone going from GB to ICS will take WAY longer judging from the looks of ICS.

Also agree that HTC will concentrate more on making a new phone with ICS since it will be easier to develop a phone around ICS than it will be to mesh sense and ICS...



Most of all though, get this phone because you want it AS IS... Consider any upgrades a gift considering.....

NA79 out
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NightAngel79 For This Useful Post:
MoPhoMan (October 24th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

What makes me wonder is the Incredible 2. That was upgraded to 2.3.3 pretty quick. Then a month later it was upgraded to 2.3.4. I'm wondering if the low space notification issue is what is holding up the GB rollout for the Inc1.

As far as the Tbolt, that seems to have been a problem child from the get go, as far as updates anyway. Since the Tbolt shipped with Sense 2.0 I wonder if that is what's screwing up the rollout. Other LTE phones have gotten the GB update, so I don't think it has to do with LTE, and since the Tbolt and Inc2 have similar internals save the LTE radio, the only difference I can see is Sense 2.0. Maybe if they updated it to Sense 2.1 then went to GB that would help. But without being behind the scenes it's hard to say.

After seeing the announcement that HTC is mulling over what to do with updating to ICS with Sense, I may wait on the Vigor. I think what they're actually mulling over is what parts of their Sense UI overlay that they want to incorporate. As some have said some of the features in ICS are in Sense, so struggling with trying to port them when ICS has them already would be futile, unless the Sense version would be better.

I have heard some rumblings that we might see another HTC device later this year or early next year that ships with ICS. If that is the case I'd rather wait and get it on the device at launch rahter than wait for it to be updated. The only thing I worry about is they might put it on a phone that is inferior to the Vigor as far as specs go. Phones released now should fall under the plan for rapid updates so who knows. By that I mean the consortium they announced at the last Google I/O to update the phones in a timely manner.

At this point I don't know what to do. The Razr is out for me with the non removable battery. The G-Nex looks good, but with the benchmarks that leaked that kinda worries me, especially after what the GS2 did on them. My other issue with the G-Nex is it being a Samsung product. I have never been really happy after any Samsung purchase. I recently got one of their blu-ray players with wi-fi & allshare. Last weekend I had to do a complete reset on it when it would no longer connect to the internet through the wired connection. The only thing I did was have my ISP bump up the speed. The player is only aobut a month old, so I can't say I'm feeling good about picking up another of their products.

I guess the good thing is if I wait my final NE2 will be available on 12/28 so that'll at least knock off another $50. Maybe by that time we'll know more on HTC's ICS update plans or hear something about quad cores. My Inc2 is still running fine so I'm not in any rush, but the Vigor just looked so damn nice. Oh HTC, why do you torture me so?!?
vzwuser76 is offline  
Last edited by vzwuser76; October 19th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vzwuser76 For This Useful Post:
MoPhoMan (October 24th, 2011)
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #72 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
Also agree that HTC will concentrate more on making a new phone with ICS since it will be easier to develop a phone around ICS than it will be to mesh sense and ICS...
You know how many peoples' bubbles you just burst with that statement?
 
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (October 19th, 2011), Skipdawg (October 20th, 2011)
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #73 (permalink)
Jolly Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,474
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,741
Thanked 6,452 Times in 3,930 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGoat View Post
You know how many peoples' bubbles you just burst with that statement?
i burst no bubbles! I swear, i'm a friend to all things bubbly

that is of course only a guess..... seems that getting sense 3.5 over ICS will take FOREVER on a phone that is already out...
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
2010 ZR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 362
 
Device(s): LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 112
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Default

The main reason I was willing to wait for the Vigor was because in the past, stock Android has been difficult to work with, and the Sense Widgets have always been beautiful and easy to use. The only thing missing from the Galaxy Nexus(Galaxus) was a clock similar to the HTC clock widget, other than that, I was completely sold on the Galaxus. I love the screen, the NFC hardware seems like a convenient way to quickly share info. I don't see much of a reason to wait for an HTC phone on Verizon that will be on par with the Galaxus when the newest tech is going to be coming out from Samsung and Motorola again. HTC seems like too much of a "wait and see" type of company, and honestly... Sense doesn't seem to be worth the wait.

I guess we could always root and get a stock ICS ROM instead of settling for a Samsung...lol.
2010 ZR1 is offline  
Last edited by 2010 ZR1; October 20th, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #75 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
i burst no bubbles! I swear, i'm a friend to all things bubbly

that is of course only a guess..... seems that getting sense 3.5 over ICS will take FOREVER on a phone that is already out...


Definitely, and not sure if you keep up with the Thunderbolt forum, but we had a Gingerbread update that just started a few weeks ago but was pulled because of stability issues. This setback plus the issues I've had with my Thunderbolt in general is really making me reconsider the Rezound at this point.
 
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
Interestingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wouldn't you like to know
Posts: 197
 
Device(s): HTC Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 471
Thanked 390 Times in 196 Posts
Default

I see that Android Authority is reporting that HTC is committed to working toward getting ICS on their devices:

HTC Avoids Android 4.0 Uprising – Ice Cream Sandwich Coming to Most Devices

I would really like to see the Rezound with ICS soon... maybe that is why is has been delayed? I think black_man_x (Panda) had referenced other phones having ICS coming to verizon... here's to hoping!
Interestingman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:24 PM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jikhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible (WiFi only)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 184 Times in 106 Posts
Talking

No offense guys, but some of you are blind by your own hopes of getting ICS. You should really be looking at it like this:

If you want ICS now or within the next 1 to 3 or 4 mos....then you'll be better off purchasing the Galaxy Nexus.

If you want the Rezound because of Sense 3.5 or for some other reason/feature...and willing to hold off on getting updated to ICS for 6-10 mos....then purchase the Rezound.

I can more than guess/promise you that the Droid RAZR will have ICS on it before the Rezound.

If your thinking is anything outside the realm of these 3 things mentioned, then you're living on a different planet that I know of!!!!
jikhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #78 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
No offense guys, but some of you are blind by your own hopes of getting ICS. You should really be looking at it like this:

If you want ICS now or within the next 1 to 3 or 4 mos....then you'll be better off purchasing the Galaxy Nexus.

If you want the Rezound because of Sense 3.5 or for some other reason/feature...and willing to hold off on getting updated to ICS for 6-10 mos....then purchase the Rezound.

I can more than guess/promise you that the Droid RAZR will have ICS on it before the Rezound.

If your thinking is anything outside the realm of these 3 things mentioned, then you're living on a different planet that I know of!!!!
While you may be right, it's not impossible to see the Rezound get ICS before 6-10 months. Look at the Incredible 2. It got GB 2.3.3 three months after it was released. Then it got an update to 2.3.4 a month later. As far as the GB update, the Inc2 and DX2 are the only ones that got GB in less than 6 months after launch.

I think the only thing holding up ICS for the Rezound is HTC trying to decide what parts of Sense they want to incorporate into ICS as some Sense functions that were not available in stock android are available in ICS. They could even forgo Sense, but I'd doubt that. But HTC has overall been the best oem as far as getting updates out.

Of course the G-Nex is the one you want if you want ICS now. Until VZW's Nexus exclusivity ends, it's going to be the only game in town. Moto saying they'll have it on the Razr as soon as they say doesn't mean much to me. They've dropped the ball too many times for me to look at them with anything but skepticism. They also announced unlocked bootloaders last spring for later this year. I haven't seen one yet. HTC so far has been more forthcoming with their plans, and 9 times out of 10 they follow through on those plans.

At this point I may wait until my final NE2 comes due in late December to see which way I want to go. That way I should have a better idea when the Rezound will be upgraded, or know if there are any HTC ICS devices coming as BMX has alluded to.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Last edited by vzwuser76; October 23rd, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jikhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible (WiFi only)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 184 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Again, not to be negative, but you just reaffirmed what I was getting at....that you are hopeful. I'd have to argue some of your points. HTC having a better track record? I don't have any facts but you mentioned about 50% of the HTC phones on Verizon. If this is about the same for other carriers, then I wouldn't say that updating half of your portfolio is good...that should be above 50%. I picked up my DI on launch day and didn't get 2.2 until some time between Sept-Nov. I don't really recall for sure, but thought it was certain I didn't get until after my trip to Europe; but it seems most got it in Sept....that's still 6 mos. from the April launch. And I'm still waiting on GB which PR stated was getting back in April or May....so here we are another 6 mos.

Go play and demo all two or three phones in store before making any decision. If anyone is willing to bet some money on when the Rezound will get ICS (within 3 mos. like you think or higher like me), I'm willing to take that bet!!!
jikhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
Again, not to be negative, but you just reaffirmed what I was getting at....that you are hopeful. I'd have to argue some of your points. HTC having a better track record? I don't have any facts but you mentioned about 50% of the HTC phones on Verizon. If this is about the same for other carriers, then I wouldn't say that updating half of your portfolio is good...that should be above 50%. I picked up my DI on launch day and didn't get 2.2 until some time between Sept-Nov. I don't really recall for sure, but thought it was certain I didn't get until after my trip to Europe; but it seems most got it in Sept....that's still 6 mos. from the April launch. And I'm still waiting on GB which PR stated was getting back in April or May....so here we are another 6 mos.

Go play and demo all two or three phones in store before making any decision. If anyone is willing to bet some money on when the Rezound will get ICS (within 3 mos. like you think or higher like me), I'm willing to take that bet!!!
First, I looked up the Droid Incredible update to Froyo. It started updating August 27th. I remeber getting it 1-2 weeks after it started rolling out.

Second, the fact that they're even trying to update a phone that is already over 1 year old and well past it's EOL date (which was 3/30/11) says quite a bit.

As far as your bet, when did I say that it would get it in 3 months? I said that the Inc2 got it in that period. Please don't put words in my mouth. I was using that as an analogy to say that HTC can upgrade their phones quickly. I didn't say that it's coming out in 3 months, mark my words.

Let's look at the first OS update for the HTC phones on Verizon.

Droid Eris
Launch date - Nov. 6, 2009
EOL Date - Late May 2010
OS Update - May 12, 2010 (2.1)
firmware update - Mar. 2011

Droid Incredible
Launch Date - April 29, 2010
EOL Date - Mar. 30, 2011
OS Update - August 27, 2010 (2.2), in development (2.3)

Thunderbolt
Launch Date - Mar 17, 2011
EOL Date - unknown
OS Update - in development (2.3)
firmware update - May 12, 2011: July 8, 2011

Droid Incredible 2
Launch Date - April 28, 2011
EOL Date - unknown
OS Update - July 11, 2011 (2.3.3); Sept. 20, 2011 (2.3.4)

Now I didn't have all of the updates for all of the phones ( I know that I missed the fimware updates for the Incredible 1& 2 & probably one or two for the Eris). I didn't include the Merge since I have yet to find a place to get one on Verizon (for a family member). But looking at that I wouldn't say they're doing to badly. Each phone has either received or is still scheduled for at least one major OS update. The fact that the Eris got a firmware update almost a year after it's EOL is a good thing.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Last edited by vzwuser76; October 23rd, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #81 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
But HTC has overall been the best oem as far as getting updates out.




Anymore Updates?

Bolt just did a restart - post gb update

Bluetooth Issues w/ GB

Ringtones Not "Sync'd" Since GB Update

Pore battery life after GB update! ("pore" guy can't spell it right)

Touch vibrate input not working after GB update?

IPhone 5 or prime to replace my tbolt? I'm done with it, GB update screwed my phone up more

Complete loss of data since GB update
 
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #82 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

All right, you guys have convinced me, HTC's shit. They're horrible at updates. Everything that comes after the Thunderbolt will be just as problematic. There, happy?

I notice you're latching onto the Thunderbolt. I get you had issues with it, but there are options you know. From what I've read, those who rooted are doing good with it. You can get a replacement, and if that doesn't help get another. After so many replacements they should give you the option to go to another phone in the same class. Or your can sell it and get one either used or at full retail.

BTW, I just saw this last weak that a new RUU is available for the Tbolt, rooted or not. Maybe check and see if it's worth upgrading to. They have repeated that they are still trying to get it running better. How many phones have Moto and Samsung just abandoned with no explanation?

HTC has it's share of problems, just like they all do (even apple). But for me they have been great. Other than swapping out the Tbolt, the biggest issue I have had with them is having to do a factory reset after the froyo update. I'm done with this argument. No matter what it's obvious we are not going to change our positions. To keep trying is an excersize in futility. Have a nice day

BTW, wtf up with that pic?
vzwuser76 is offline  
Last edited by vzwuser76; October 23rd, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:07 PM   #83 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
All right, you guys have convinced me, HTC's shit. They're horrible at updates. Everything that comes after the Thunderbolt will be just as problematic. There, happy?

I notice you're latching onto the Thunderbolt. I get you had issues with it, but there are options you know. From what I've read, those who rooted are doing good with it. You can get a replacement, and if that doesn't help get another. After so many replacements they should give you the option to go to another phone in the same class. Or your can sell it and get one either used or at full retail.

BTW, I just saw this last weak that a new RUU is available for the Tbolt, rooted or not. Maybe check and see if it's worth upgrading to. They have repeated that they are still trying to get it running better. How many phones have Moto and Samsung just abandoned with no explanation?

HTC has it's share of problems, just like they all do (even apple). But for me they have been great. Other than swapping out the Tbolt, the biggest issue I have had with them is having to do a factory reset after the froyo update. I'm done with this argument. No matter what it's obvious we are not going to change our positions. To keep trying is an excersize in futility. Have a nice day

BTW, wtf up with that pic?

I'm not saying the phone nor HTC is complete garbage, but it's also not the end-all of phones. You yourself said that you turned in your TB after all the reboots. Before this phone I had a Touch Pro 2 and that phone had problems but I'll chalk most of those up to the crappy Winmo. The USB connection on the phone did start to go out too though which is hardware thus an HTC quality issue IMO. I'm actually hopeful that HTC gets its act together with regards to the Rezound. If not this will probably be my last HTC phone even if it means I go to a phone that's not rootable.


Oh and the pic is a take on the "lol wut" with a Gadafi take to it...I think...


 
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM   #84 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGoat View Post
I'm not saying the phone nor HTC is complete garbage, but it's also not the end-all of phones. You yourself said that you turned in your TB after all the reboots. Before this phone I had a Touch Pro 2 and that phone had problems but I'll chalk most of those up to the crappy Winmo. The USB connection on the phone did start to go out too though which is hardware thus an HTC quality issue IMO. I'm actually hopeful that HTC gets its act together with regards to the Rezound. If not this will probably be my last HTC phone even if it means I go to a phone that's not rootable.


Oh and the pic is a take on the "lol wut" with a Gadafi take to it...I think...

I never said they were the end all of phones, simply that they are better than most at updating and at least trying to resolve issues.

As far as hardware all phones have issues, because 1. No manufacturer uses all in house parts, and 2. 100% quality control is just not possible.

Yes, I did swap from the Tbolt, becuse I don't have LTE coverage, so the main selling point wasn't actually available to me. Plus I figured that it might take awhile to resolve the issues, so I am not saying (nor did I ever say) that HTC doesn't have issues. I just think they are better at at least trying to resolve them, even if they don't resolve every one. I won't dump any company over a single device, but after 2 or 3 that puts them at the bottom of my list.

My reluctance to go with Samsung has to do with family members having their phones and what they went through. On the thread here that asks about what devices we had previously, of the 14 phones that I have owned, 9 were Moto feature, 2 were Nokia feature, and 3 wrere HTC smartphones. You would think I am partial to Moto, and I kinda am. But looking how they changed after the OG Droid, I just don't know of I'd want to go back to them.

Another gripe with Moto is their phone designs. Everyone says HTC rehashes their phones. Look at the Droid series, there isn't a helluva lot of difference between them, and even less with the Droid X series (it's like they took a page from apple there).

I'm not saying HTC is the best in everything, far from it. But for me they have been better than most, and I'm usually not easy to please as far as tech goes.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #85 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 695
 
Device(s): Inc 4G, Inc 2, Org Inc, Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I just think all these companies (Including Apple) pump these phones out to fast. Then we turn around and continue to purchase them, which continues to give them the right to dump the phones out to the market before they are truly ready and with minimal upgrades in between each one. IMO not even making it worth the upgrade. If ICS is suppose to be the next best thing, why NOT buy the Vigor until it has ICS on it out of the box? Why buy it waiting or hoping to get on upgrade to ICS? If more people followed this model and waited until HTC or who ever made phones with enough features to actually make an upgrade worthwhile, it would force these companies to stop these 9-12 month turn around on half a$$ed upgrades and phones that buttons and things stop working on after 1 year. Just my opinion..
jamala00 is offline  
Last edited by jamala00; October 24th, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
Blackthanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC ReZound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I just think all these companies (Including Apple) pump these phones out to fast. Then we turn around and continue to purchase them, which continues to give them the right to dump the phones out to the market before they are truly ready and with minimal upgrades in between each one. IMO not even making it worth the upgrade. If ICS is suppose to be the next best thing, why NOT buy the Vigor until it has ICS on it out of the box? Why buy it waiting or hoping to get on upgrade to ICS? If more people followed this model and waited until HTC or who ever made phones with enough features to actually make an upgrade worthwhile, it would force these companies to stop these 9-12 month turn around on half a$$ed upgrades and phones that buttons and things stop working on after 1 year. Just my opinion..

To dream the impossible dream...lol. I actually sympathize with you but as long as there are people that want...not HAVE to be first with things that will never happen. Why do you think the iphone lines are so long on release day. I will however give apple credit for one thing. They are the closest to what you are talking about than any other company since they basically make one phone a year to 15 months. I doubt that will happen with the other phones because there are way to many manufacturers.
Blackthanos is offline  
Last edited by Blackthanos; October 24th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #87 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 695
 
Device(s): Inc 4G, Inc 2, Org Inc, Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthanos View Post
To dream the impossible dream...lol. I actually sympathize with you but as long as there are people that want...not HAVE to be first with things that will never happen. Why do you think the iphone lines are so long on release day. I will however give apple credit for one thing. They are the closest to what you are talking about than any other company since they basically make one phone a year to 15 months. I doubt that will happen with the other phones because there are way to many manufacturers.
I hear ya... and agree with ya... there are always the people that have to have the latest and greatest, even if that means $200-$300 to get a device that truly gives them very minimal updates from the device they are using today. I am a developer for a living and love technology, I just don't love tossing my money away, so some executive can get even richer trying to sell me hype of how some new device is going to yet make my life even better. Apple is the best at this, 3 versions of an iPod (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad) and yet somehow they convice people they need to have all of them at some rediculous price... Anybody has the right to buy what they want... again.. just my opinion..
jamala00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #88 (permalink)
Member
 
hovercraftdriver25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 252
 
Device(s): Rooted Droid Incredible rocking MIUI
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 56
Thanked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthanos View Post
To dream the impossible dream...lol. I actually sympathize with you but as long as there are people that want...not HAVE to be first with things that will never happen. Why do you think the iphone lines are so long on release day. I will however give apple credit for one thing. They are the closest to what you are talking about than any other company since they basically make one phone a year to 15 months. I doubt that will happen with the other phones because there are way to many manufacturers.
Because, unfortunately, they are all trying to be the one that gets lucky and lays the "golden egg" that dethrones Apple and wins over the I-drone crowd. I loathe Apple, primarily because of their I-tunes proprietary pain-in-the-butt crapola, but they were truly the first and best of the new wave of "smart phones" (non-BB/pda types) and it's hard to unseat that, but all the other manufacturers are pulling out all the stops until they do. That and the fact that they also prey on those same people that aren't loyal to Apple and HAVE/WANT to get the absolute newest gadget on the market, regardless of the quality of the device.

I personally feel that their are a host of phones that are better than the I-phone, but those like me are certainly in the minority.
hovercraftdriver25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 695
 
Device(s): Inc 4G, Inc 2, Org Inc, Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraftdriver25 View Post
Because, unfortunately, they are all trying to be the one that gets lucky and lays the "golden egg" that dethrones Apple and wins over the I-drone crowd. I loathe Apple, primarily because of their I-tunes proprietary pain-in-the-butt crapola, but they were truly the first and best of the new wave of "smart phones" (non-BB/pda types) and it's hard to unseat that, but all the other manufacturers are pulling out all the stops until they do. That and the fact that they also prey on those same people that aren't loyal to Apple and HAVE/WANT to get the absolute newest gadget on the market, regardless of the quality of the device.

I personally feel that their are a host of phones that are better than the I-phone, but those like me are certainly in the minority.
Agree 110%.. any phone that does not have to use iTunes is better.. IMO!
jamala00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #90 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I just think all these companies (Including Apple) pump these phones out to fast. Then we turn around and continue to purchase them, which continues to give them the right to dump the phones out to the market before they are truly ready and with minimal upgrades in between each one. IMO not even making it worth the upgrade. If ICS is suppose to be the next best thing, why NOT buy the Vigor until it has ICS on it out of the box? Why buy it waiting or hoping to get on upgrade to ICS? If more people followed this model and waited until HTC or who ever made phones with enough features to actually make an upgrade worthwhile, it would force these companies to stop these 9-12 month turn around on half a$$ed upgrades and phones that buttons and things stop working on after 1 year. Just my opinion..
It's no different than with computers. They are constantly adding more and better RAM and processing power, bigger hard drives, more connectivity and entertainment options. But no one says I wish the computer market would stop advancing so fast.

Without this rapid release of new and different phones, we wouldn't have the speed of innovation we have now. And if they waited and offered a whole bunch of features at once, troubleshooting becomes a nightmare. Manufacturers have enough problems launching reliable phones with just a few new major featuers, how bad does it get with ten? By going more incremental, there's less chance of devices launching with huge and numerous issues.

The thing is the carriers seem to be setting themselves up to go opposite of innovation. They have more data required services than ever, but they introduce a tiered data structure. Phones are evolving at a record pace, but they want to lock you into a 2 year plan. I think that part of the reason we saw this boom in growth and advancement is because there were options for users to upgrade more often than 2 years. Now that the only option is 2 year or go off contract, we may see innovation start to slow because of the higher cost to upgrade more frequently. If they have less people to sell to, they'll scale back the amount of phones that are released and in turn, scale back innovation.
TheMortallyWounded likes this.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #91 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vzwuser76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: two weeks from anywhere, SD
Posts: 1,100
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 260
Thanked 293 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Agree 110%.. any phone that does not have to use iTunes is better.. IMO!
That's the main reason I don't go apple anymore. Their hardware is fine, but that damn required itunes is a dealbreaker for me. After they tried to make me rebuy all of my video purchases because they couldn't resove an issue where itunes didn't recognize me as the legitimate owner, that was it. No way am I gonna rebuy around $75 worth of video because they can't do more troubleshooting than just sending me links to their support section.
vzwuser76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #92 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthanos View Post
To dream the impossible dream...lol. I actually sympathize with you but as long as there are people that want...not HAVE to be first with things that will never happen. Why do you think the iphone lines are so long on release day. I will however give apple credit for one thing. They are the closest to what you are talking about than any other company since they basically make one phone a year to 15 months. I doubt that will happen with the other phones because there are way to many manufacturers.

I actually think the iPhone 4S will be shorter lived than the previous iPhones with their next version carrying 4G capabilities (and rumored to have already been engineered). The other thing that Apple does a little better IMO is rolling out updates. I know if I connect an old 3G phone I'll still have an option to update the phone. The one glaring problem that iPhones of the past had was that you had to own a computer and have internet connection to use the phone. Fortunately with the new phones they don't make that a requirement. Lets hope android manufacturers continue with their innovation.
 
Last edited by TxGoat; October 24th, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #93 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 695
 
Device(s): Inc 4G, Inc 2, Org Inc, Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwuser76 View Post
It's no different than with computers. They are constantly adding more and better RAM and processing power, bigger hard drives, more connectivity and entertainment options. But no one says I wish the computer market would stop advancing so fast.

Without this rapid release of new and different phones, we wouldn't have the speed of innovation we have now. And if they waited and offered a whole bunch of features at once, troubleshooting becomes a nightmare. Manufacturers have enough problems launching reliable phones with just a few new major featuers, how bad does it get with ten? By going more incremental, there's less chance of devices launching with huge and numerous issues.

The thing is the carriers seem to be setting themselves up to go opposite of innovation. They have more data required services than ever, but they introduce a tiered data structure. Phones are evolving at a record pace, but they want to lock you into a 2 year plan. I think that part of the reason we saw this boom in growth and advancement is because there were options for users to upgrade more often than 2 years. Now that the only option is 2 year or go off contract, we may see innovation start to slow because of the higher cost to upgrade more frequently. If they have less people to sell to, they'll scale back the amount of phones that are released and in turn, scale back innovation.
Ya... there is a lot of temptation coming out to want to think about upgrading, but I think I might hold on to my trusty old Inc until spring and see what is out in April\May time frame. I think innovation is great and needs to continue. I agree that the phone manufactures and the carriers need to get on the same page. We cant continue down the road of everything over the phone when carriers want to put data caps on our contracts. We cant have 2 year service agreements with no upgrades for 2 years if the phone manufactures want to pump out new phones every 9-12 months. I think a lot of people do feel the same way about computers and computer software. I think if you took a poll of how many people still use WindowsXP and a 2 year old or older PC you would be pretty surprised. I think a lot of people skipped windows software upgrades like Windows NT, Windows ME, Windows CE, Vista, etc
jamala00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #94 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jikhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible (WiFi only)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 184 Times in 106 Posts
Default

So do you/we think HTC is going to match anywhere near what MOTO plans/says they are going to do with ICS? I doubt it.

Motorola Plans to Bring Ice Cream Sandwich to Devices Just 6 Weeks After Google Releases It - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

EDIT: After reading some comments, I'd have to agree that what they are trying to state is that in 6 weeks, they will release a roadmap of what current phones can/will receive the ICS update.
jikhead is offline  
Last edited by jikhead; October 24th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #95 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikhead View Post
So do you/we think HTC is going to match anywhere near what MOTO plans/says they are going to do with ICS? I doubt it.

Motorola Plans to Bring Ice Cream Sandwich to Devices Just 6 Weeks After Google Releases It - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

EDIT: After reading some comments, I'd have to agree that what they are trying to state is that in 6 weeks, they will release a roadmap of what current phones can/will receive the ICS update.

I know my experience with the Thunderbolt was like that of a Mushroom. Keep you in the dark and feed you some pooo. Typically their stance is "You'll get it when you get it". Hell the TB Gingerbread download came out last month but then was canceled because it caused more problems than it fixed. I think they're trying to roll it out again but there are still some bugs.
 
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #96 (permalink)
Member
 
Blackthanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC ReZound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I think if you took a poll of how many people still use WindowsXP and a 2 year old or older PC you would be pretty surprised. I think a lot of people skipped windows software upgrades like Windows NT, Windows ME, Windows CE, Vista, etc

LOL..funny you said that because I did exactly that. I'm still running windows XP and still loving it. Of course I will upgrade(finally) to Windows 7 or whatever is the new flavor of the month in the first quarter of 2012 when I brake down and get a new PC. MY computer has been very good to me. It's lasted waaaaaaaay past it's expected life but I guess it's time. Still gonna keep it around for dual boxing some older games though.
Blackthanos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #97 (permalink)
Member
 
Blackthanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC ReZound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGoat View Post
I actually think the iPhone 4S will be shorter lived than the previous iPhones with their next version carrying 4G capabilities (and rumored to have already been engineered). The other thing that Apple does a little better IMO is rolling out updates. I know if I connect an old 3G phone I'll still have an option to update the phone. The one glaring problem that iPhones of the past had was that you had to own a computer and have internet connection to use the phone. Fortunately with the new phones they don't make that a requirement. Lets hope android manufacturers continue with their innovation.
Dude I am not even going to think about the iphone 5 until there is HARD proof of what it will have. This latest fiasco with the iphone 5/4S has seriously left a chocolated cover turd flavor in my mouth so as you can imagine I am pretty much shell shocked just hearing the words "new iphone"..lol. As for the the updates thing I do give credit where it's due and yes they have a very good history when it comes to that. Without stealing any of their thunder I will say that's kind of what I would expect from any company that basically produces one phone. I mean think about it, all your people can concentrate on one device, one source code, one everything. It makes things 1000 times easier/faster. Still a damn good phone though. In truth as good as it is I feel like apples real power is in it's advertising or cult status. People feel like they have to have it. Even if you were to make a phone 6 years ahead of them technology wise you still would have to argue with appleheads who say the iphone is better...I mean it's an iphone. I don't have an "ianything" but their ability to weave a spell on people was so good I was actually going to get the iphone 5. Then I saw the stats for the Vigor and I was very intrigued. When apple finally released the iphone 4S the spell was broken and I felt like I had just awakened from a nightmare..lol. I can't even tell you why i wanted it so badly now. Still I try to look at the bright side of things. If I'd never made the initial choice to get the iphone I would never have started to research smart phones and I wouldn't have learned about all the cool and sometimes even better(for me) phones that are out there.

By the way this isn't a dig at you or the iphone. It's pretty much become my philosophy for all smart phone rumors.
Blackthanos is offline  
Last edited by Blackthanos; October 24th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #98 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthanos View Post
Dude I am not even going to think about the iphone 5 until there is HARD proof of what it will have. This latest fiasco with the iphone 5/4S has seriously left a chocolated cover turd flavor in my mouth so as you can imagine I am pretty much shell shocked just hearing the words "new iphone"..lol. As for the the updates thing I do give credit where it's due and yes they have a very good history when it comes to that. Without stealing any of their thunder I will say that's kind of what I would expect from any company that basically produces one phone. I mean think about it, all your people can concentrate on one device, one source code, one everything. It makes things 1000 times easier/faster. Still a damn good phone though. In truth as good as it is I feel like apples real power is in it's advertising or cult status. People feel like they have to have it. Even if you were to make a phone 6 years ahead of them technology wise you still would have to argue with appleheads who say the iphone is better...I mean it's an iphone. I don't have an "ianything" but their ability to weave a spell on people was so good I was actually going to get the iphone 5. Then I saw the stats for the Vigor and I was very intrigued. When apple finally released the iphone 4S the spell was broken and I felt like I had just awakened from a nightmare..lol. I can't even tell you why i wanted it so badly now. Still I try to look at the bright side of things. If I'd never made the initial choice to get the iphone I would never have started to research smart phones and I wouldn't have learned about all the cool and sometimes even better(for me) phones that are out there.


I don't mind giving the iPhone credit either. What I think is funny are the people that are so anti Apple and iPhone because of the cult-like market they've created that they themselves display cult like behavior with their fanboism of all things not Apple. When you think about it their anti-apple sentiment is pretty much the same as the Apple cult but in the other direction. It reminds me of some people that I know that are so anti-establishment with the style of clothes they wear that they're taking it to such an extreme that it plays right into the establishment's hands. They create an "Anti-establishment" line of clothing and everyone flocks to be anti-establishment.......like everyone else.

I don't think there's a single product out there that will ever fester such a deep hatred although having gone into many Apple stores if any product were to reach those heights, Apple brings a strong case. The whole idea of people just like hanging out at the Apple store as if they're hanging out at a club to be seen is kind of disturbing to me. I'm reminded of that Youtube video of a group of people forming a line at the Apple store and a bunch of people getting in line behind them just because they figure they must get in line at the Apple store because there must be something going down.
 
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #99 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthanos View Post
By the way this isn't a dig at you or the iphone. It's pretty much become my philosophy for all smart phone rumors.


lol, the only 2 times I've had an iPhone were 1 time when I bought one because I supported them and thus needed to learn about them, and the job I'm in now they want me to be accessible to them via cell phone so they issued me an iPhone. As far as a personal phone the only reason I'd consider going back to an iPhone is because I'm getting a little sick of battery life that won't last me a whole day. I still hate that the iPhone is so locked down with iTunes telling me and app developers what we can and can't have and the fact that you can't play flash content so I doubt I'll ever go back unless android one day turns me off so completely that I'm forced to consider the offerings from Apple.
 
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
Blackthanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 219
 
Device(s): HTC ReZound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Default

What is it with apple and flash anyway? I mean love or hate MS how can you continually put out a smart phone with no flash support. My girlfriend had a run in with itunes just last month now that I think about it. She bought something on apple tv for her son and her PC had a HD crash. She got it fixed and now some of the stuff she bought will not play anymore. Also she said they changed it to where you can no longer d/l stuff to the device or something. You have to put it on your PC and sync it. Not sure what that's all about but I have a funny feeling it's something to do with apples control issues. I love the fact that androids have so much customization. To me if the price to pay for that is a few more occasional bugs I will pay it. It is kind of a big deal to me. My mind sees it like apple is saying something like, "Hey look we can make it so there is no crime and everything is great. Oh by the way, we did it by getting rid of that pesky free will thing." Freedom of choice who needs it right..lol. But again as I said apple didn't get their rep by putting out a bad product so freedom of choice works both ways.
Blackthanos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Rezound
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Rezound is the first Beats by Dre smartphone from HTC and will be available on Verizon. It truly is a high-end beast as it boasts a 4.3 inch 720p HD display, a 1.5Ghz processor, 1GB of RAM, an 8 megapixel rear camera with 1080p HD video rec... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.