Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default To Squaretrade or not to Sqauretrade

Normally I'm not a big fan of extended warranties/insurance or any sort, the majority of the time I think its a suckers bet. But I'm seriously considering getting the squaretrade warranty for my Rezound. Does anyone have any opinions one way or another?

Advertisements
kethdredd is offline  
Last edited by kethdredd; December 19th, 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Boooooo! cant edit my misspelled title...
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Some people use the warranties so they can "drop" their phones when something better comes along and thus they can jump on the next big thing. My opinion on that practice is, one if you're that pathetically desperate to get a new phone under the guise of insurance fraud then by all means trade off your integrity for a $600 device. Two, if you intend on keeping your device and are careful with it then by the end of a 2 year contract, you would've almost paid enough to get yourself a new device (under a new 2 year agreement).
 
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
jdb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 83
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGoat View Post
Some people use the warranties so they can "drop" their phones when something better comes along and thus they can jump on the next big thing. My opinion on that practice is, one if you're that pathetically desperate to get a new phone under the guise of insurance fraud then by all means trade off your integrity for a $600 device. Two, if you intend on keeping your device and are careful with it then by the end of a 2 year contract, you would've almost paid enough to get yourself a new device (under a new 2 year agreement).
I agree with you on point 1. Point 2 however...as careful as you may try and be, things do happen. My Og Droid took a swim after about 8 months with it. I'm glad I had the insurance. I have the insurance with this phone as well.
jdb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 938
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 205 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGoat View Post
f you intend on keeping your device and are careful with it then by the end of a 2 year contract, you would've almost paid enough to get yourself a new device (under a new 2 year agreement).
Well, at a bit over $6/mo., 2 years would be around 150 with assurion. I know it's a sucker bet, but it's worth it for mw
hal1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb View Post
I agree with you on point 1. Point 2 however...as careful as you may try and be, things do happen. My Og Droid took a swim after about 8 months with it. I'm glad I had the insurance. I have the insurance with this phone as well.


How did it manage to take a swim?
 
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
jdb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 83
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGoat View Post
How did it manage to take a swim?
It was crazy: I watched as my droid jumped out of my jeans pocket, scooted along the grass and jumped in the jacuzzi for a soak.

My point is, unless you think of your phone 24/7 (I don't), accidents can happen. I take care of my phone and give an extra thought if I really need to bring it to the beach (sand+glass=no good), by the pool, etc. The insurance can be a good investment for some. It is not a 200-300 dollar device, it is a 650 dollar device. A device which most people use and rely on a lot. A device that is subject to getting damaged in many ways.
jdb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
superchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mira Loma, CA
Posts: 486
 
Device(s): Rezound, Moto DroidX and X2 HTC Incredible (rooted GB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default SquareTrade is good.

They covered my wife's DroidX. It took a dip in the toilet (I didn't ask) and SquareTrade actually sent $569.00 to my paypal account to get another phone.

When I dropped my Inc from my motorcycle going down the freeway it had an OtterBox Commuter Series on it. The OtterBox came off during the 70MPH slide and the corner of the screen cracked. They had it repaired and sent it back to me. They did not send me a refurbished phone.

Needless to say, I have their warranty on most of my portable electronics.
superchaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 264
 
Device(s): htc Rezound
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 49
Thanked 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

I think that its good to look at the larger picture before deciding. You pay $6 per month for 24 months = $144. If you need a replacement there is a $100 deductible plus a $30 fee. For that you get a used refurbished phone that may or may not itself have problems. Total cost = $274. Let's assume that you break you phone half way through the contract so on average total the cost would be $202 for the ins plus a new phone. What would the price be on ebay or Amazon at that time? It is only a $650 phone for the next month or two, if that. Then the next model will come out and this phone's price will drop like a rock.

The insurance company is betting that you will not break, drop, or swim with your phone while you are betting against yourself.

In the end it is a comfort factor.
zazan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
TxGoat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb View Post
It was crazy: I watched as my droid jumped out of my jeans pocket, scooted along the grass and jumped in the jacuzzi for a soak.

My point is, unless you think of your phone 24/7 (I don't), accidents can happen. I take care of my phone and give an extra thought if I really need to bring it to the beach (sand+glass=no good), by the pool, etc. The insurance can be a good investment for some. It is not a 200-300 dollar device, it is a 650 dollar device. A device which most people use and rely on a lot. A device that is subject to getting damaged in many ways.


So you're saying alcohol was involved?!?!
 
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
feralicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazan View Post
I think that its good to look at the larger picture before deciding. You pay $6 per month for 24 months = $144. If you need a replacement there is a $100 deductible plus a $30 fee. For that you get a used refurbished phone that may or may not itself have problems. Total cost = $274. Let's assume that you break you phone half way through the contract so on average total the cost would be $202 for the ins plus a new phone. What would the price be on ebay or Amazon at that time? It is only a $650 phone for the next month or two, if that. Then the next model will come out and this phone's price will drop like a rock.
...
The Incredible 2 is still at $490-510 as a replacement phone with no contract changes and that was out end of April, so there's no way the Rezound price is dropping very fast.

EDIT: Checked the Inc2 on ebay and you can get it for $270-$400 off contract.

I haven't had anything bad happen to any of my previous phones and had them all for the full 2 years at least but something is nagging me to get Square Trade for this one. I only paid a penny for the phone but if I have to replace it it's over $700! Uh-oh... today might have been the last day I could get Square Trade, I think it's only offered the first 30 days. Damn xmas shopping! Bah humbug.
feralicious is offline  
Last edited by feralicious; December 21st, 2011 at 02:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious View Post
I haven't had anything bad happen to any of my previous phones and had them all for the full 2 years at least but something is nagging me to get Square Trade for this one.
I hate to spend $100 on a feeling but its the same thing I'm getting, my spidey sense is tingling.

By the way if you do decide to get one google squaretrade coupon. There is are 20% off coupons floating around.
kethdredd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Rezound
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Rezound is the first Beats by Dre smartphone from HTC and will be available on Verizon. It truly is a high-end beast as it boasts a 4.3 inch 720p HD display, a 1.5Ghz processor, 1GB of RAM, an 8 megapixel rear camera with 1080p HD video rec... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.