Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gmail app doesn't delete emails

I'm still new at this android thing. I've had an iphone for the past year. The problem I'm having is this, when I delete an email from my Gmail app it still shows up when i log into gmail via my laptop.

I've let it sync and still nothing. When I used to delete an email on my iphone it would come off instantly.

Is there a setting I'm missing?? Is there another mail app I should use that will do that for me??

mpetruzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 654
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 36
Thanked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Default

I delete and then sync my gmail account, and all that does it add it back from my computer to my phone, so it looks like I'm in the same boat!
__________________
If your best choices brought you to where you are and you don't like that place , then remember it won't be the same type of choices that will get you out.
gloriousnumber1 is offline  
Last edited by gloriousnumber1; December 23rd, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 537
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetruzz View Post
I'm still new at this android thing. I've had an iphone for the past year. The problem I'm having is this, when I delete an email from my Gmail app it still shows up when i log into gmail via my laptop.

I've let it sync and still nothing. When I used to delete an email on my iphone it would come off instantly.

Is there a setting I'm missing?? Is there another mail app I should use that will do that for me??
Are you looking at all mail or the inbox? Do you have the proper sync boxes checked on the phone? I know for a fact when you delete an email on the phone, all it does is change the label in gmail. The deleted email will no longer show in the inbox, but will still show in all mail folder. It's a stupid gmail thing.
TheXFactor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I think I figured it out. When you go into contacts and sync I needed to create a gmail account to sync it too. The only one i had was a google account that was syncing.

I added it and that's working fine.
mpetruzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok maybe I spoke too soon. So when i went into accounts and sync I noticed that there was a google account but not a gmail account. So I created a new account under gmail. I now have a google account to sync and a gmail account. Now when i get an email I get a notification but when I open it, eventhough it shows a gmail icon, it is opening the default mail app and not gmail.

I am friggin confused!
mpetruzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jolly Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,317
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,503
Thanked 6,328 Times in 3,873 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetruzz View Post
Ok maybe I spoke too soon. So when i went into accounts and sync I noticed that there was a google account but not a gmail account. So I created a new account under gmail. I now have a google account to sync and a gmail account. Now when i get an email I get a notification but when I open it, eventhough it shows a gmail icon, it is opening the default mail app and not gmail.

I am friggin confused!
When you click on the google account there should be a gmail entry inside, check the settings there. (there should be a gmail, contacts, calendar, etc in there)
You should open the stock mail app, delete the gmail account... Then open app drawer and find the native gmail app (pre-installed on every android phone) and see if that is the one you have been using.....
NightAngel79 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok, I went into accounts and sync and see google. I click on that and see instant upload, google+, contacts, gmail, picasa and calendar. The only ones I have checked are gmail and calendar since I don't use anything else.

Do I need to have auto-sync checked?? Currently it is not, could that be the problem?? I had turned it off because i was told it would conserve battery.

I do have the gmail app installed and have been using that.

On my iphone is turned off push and had it set to fetch email every hour. How can I configure my phone that way?
mpetruzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jolly Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,317
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,503
Thanked 6,328 Times in 3,873 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetruzz View Post
Ok, I went into accounts and sync and see google. I click on that and see instant upload, google+, contacts, gmail, picasa and calendar. The only ones I have checked are gmail and calendar since I don't use anything else.

Do I need to have auto-sync checked?? Currently it is not, could that be the problem?? I had turned it off because i was told it would conserve battery.

I do have the gmail app installed and have been using that.

On my iphone is turned off push and had it set to fetch email every hour. How can I configure my phone that way?
you would need auto-sync turned on for it to work correctly..

if you want gmail to only come every hour then uncheck it from the google entry, add a new account as a pop3/imap account (not as gmail). This will funnel it through the stock mail app....
NightAngel79 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I checked auto sync and it seems to be working fine.

The only reason I turned off auto sync was to save battery. Does it really save that much??

So if i create the new account with the settings you said to make it fetch, will i still get my email in the gmail app or will it go to the stock??
mpetruzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 537
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
Are you looking at all mail or the inbox? Do you have the proper sync boxes checked on the phone? I know for a fact when you delete an email on the phone, all it does is change the label in gmail. The deleted email will no longer show in the inbox, but will still show in all mail folder. It's a stupid gmail thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetruzz View Post
Ok, I went into accounts and sync and see google. I click on that and see instant upload, google+, contacts, gmail, picasa and calendar. The only ones I have checked are gmail and calendar since I don't use anything else.

Do I need to have auto-sync checked?? Currently it is not, could that be the problem?? I had turned it off because i was told it would conserve battery.

I do have the gmail app installed and have been using that.

On my iphone is turned off push and had it set to fetch email every hour. How can I configure my phone that way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
you would need auto-sync turned on for it to work correctly..

if you want gmail to only come every hour then uncheck it from the google entry, add a new account as a pop3/imap account (not as gmail). This will funnel it through the stock mail app....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetruzz View Post
I checked auto sync and it seems to be working fine.

The only reason I turned off auto sync was to save battery. Does it really save that much??

So if i create the new account with the settings you said to make it fetch, will i still get my email in the gmail app or will it go to the stock??
See, if you had read my post you would have been all good.
TheXFactor is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

HTC Rezound
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Rezound is the first Beats by Dre smartphone from HTC and will be available on Verizon. It truly is a high-end beast as it boasts a 4.3 inch 720p HD display, a 1.5Ghz processor, 1GB of RAM, an 8 megapixel rear camera with 1080p HD video rec... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Rezound
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.