Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Samsung Omnia (i910), HTC Thunderbolt?
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Expanded Internal Battery

Ok, android noob here. I have been hearing about the thunderbolt having battery issues despite having a more efficient second-gen snapdragon. I was curious if there were any batteries on the market that would provide a few milliamps more. The other thing I am curious about is if they would properly fit inside the phone case without a bulge. I think that a slightly larger battery is more acceptable than having to switch batteries halfway through the day. I heard about the 2700 milliamp battery but am afraid that it will turn the thunderbolt from a sleek sexy phone, to a camel. Thanks!

Advertisements
theshimshock is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 43
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

1600 MaH battery from Seidio will fit in the phone without causing a bulge and is supposed to give you a little extra life. Anything bigger than that will most likely cause a bulge but should give you more battery life per charge However, since they are most likely after market, they probably wont last as many cycles.
EvilMonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilMonkey For This Useful Post:
theshimshock (March 7th, 2011)
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Samsung Omnia (i910), HTC Thunderbolt?
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
1600 MaH battery from Seidio will fit in the phone without causing a bulge and is supposed to give you a little extra life. Anything bigger than that will most likely cause a bulge but should give you more battery life per charge However, since they are most likely after market, they probably wont last as many cycles.
Awesome thanks!
theshimshock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
jbh00jh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default

I would wait until the phone comes out and listen to the feedback then.
Nobody can give you accurate info at this point. You have to use the phone to see how it consumes the power.
__________________
HTC 4G LTE Rezound
jbh00jh is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbh00jh For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (March 7th, 2011)
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
skinien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 631
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 51
Thanked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
I would wait until the phone comes out and listen to the feedback then.
Nobody can give you accurate info at this point. You have to use the phone to see how it consumes the power.
I totally agree with this. You should also wait one or two weeks AFTER the phone has launched for feedback. My Captivate seemed to be better on the battery after four or five battery cycles.
__________________
Your name here.

iPhone 3G -> Captivate -> Atrix -> Thunderbolt -> Galaxy Nexus -> Razr MAXX HD
skinien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
robrecht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): ThunderBolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Default

I wouldn't bother with buying any more Seidio 'extended life slim' batteries. No noticable difference from stock when they're new and they crap out after 8-9 months of normal use. Buying an extra stock battery is cheaper and will probably last longer. If you buy from Verizon they will stand behind it; but Seidio won't.
robrecht is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 43
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
I would wait until the phone comes out and listen to the feedback then.
Nobody can give you accurate info at this point. You have to use the phone to see how it consumes the power.
^Exactly^. The extra mAh batteries should give you more battery life in theory, but there are other factors than just mAh. So they might not be as good even if they are a higher capacity. I heard Seidio makes good stuff but won't last as long as OEM batteries. If HTC makes extended capacity batteries for it, that would most likely be your best bet.
EvilMonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 87
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Be careful with Seidio batteries - I bought a 1750 for my Dinc, and it was crap. It lasts 2/3 as long as the stock 1300 battery, espicially on a bump charge. The Seidio would bump for about 2-4 minutes, the OEM bumps for over 30 minutes. I like the innocaseII, and have ordered one for my Bolt, provided I ever actually get a bolt (in like 2013 when they are finally released!)

My biggest hope is that HTC figures out the battery thing. My wife's X gets much better batt life and much better reception, but I guess that is the case with every HTC phone I have owned (Dinc is my 5th). Blackberry/Motorola/Apple have always smoked HTC in Batt life and Reception, but HTC to me makes a better overall phone that is definately more developer friendly
ncwildcat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,326
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,709
Thanked 57,147 Times in 22,962 Posts
Default

Some of our posters question if the extended batteries play well with the built-in software's idea of when a full charge has been reached. This might well be taken into account on these extended battery issues. I've no firsthand knowledge, just passing on what many others have posted.
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 43
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Some of our posters question if the extended batteries play well with the built-in software's idea of when a full charge has been reached. This might well be taken into account on these extended battery issues. I've no firsthand knowledge, just passing on what many others have posted.
Oh yea, they guy at Seidio suggested that if you use their extended battery, you should charge the phone for an hour or two after it says it is full.
Nvm, couldn't find the reference.
EvilMonkey is offline  
Last edited by EvilMonkey; March 7th, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
BzB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Default

i haven't heard of any battery issues with the TB. seems like a lot of speculation.

the seidio slim extended battery for my incredible provides that bit of extra juice i need to make it through the day. i'm still going to hold off on getting an extended battery for the TB until i use it for a week or two.
BzB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,326
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,709
Thanked 57,147 Times in 22,962 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
Oh yea, they guy at Seidio suggested that if you use their extended battery, you should charge the phone for an hour or two after it says it is full.
Nvm, couldn't find the reference.
I can't place a reference offhand either, but that's exactly one of the things I've seen posted numerous times.
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
So many android phones...
 
ultradroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): Rooted Atrix 4G and Rooted Inspire 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 84
Thanked 72 Times in 61 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ultradroid 1stliberal@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
I wouldn't bother with buying any more Seidio 'extended life slim' batteries. No noticable difference from stock when they're new and they crap out after 8-9 months of normal use. Buying an extra stock battery is cheaper and will probably last longer. If you buy from Verizon they will stand behind it; but Seidio won't.
I respectfully disagree about Seidio. I have their extended batteries on my Dinc (the 3500 extended battery) and my Droid 1 (the 2700 Extended battery), and find that they both make a significant difference in battery life. The 2700 battery on my Droid1 works fine, but the Motorola hardware has difficulty reading extended batteries and gives bizarre readings of how much charge is left. It's not the battery's fault, it's the Motorola hardware to blame.

The Seidio 3500 battery for the Dinc was a Game Changer. Hands down, the *best* investment I ever made on a cellphone accessory. It absolutely SOLVED my battery problems on that phone. Now, I go days and days between charges...and I'm a heavy battery user.

Seidio makes quality batteries, and they're well worth the money you pay for them.

-Mike
__________________
Rooted HTC Inspire 4G
NINJA-0817 (2.3.4) Rom

Rooted Motorola Atrix 4G
With UNLOCKED Bootloader
The DarkSide v1.4 - Empire Rom




ultradroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
So many android phones...
 
ultradroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): Rooted Atrix 4G and Rooted Inspire 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 84
Thanked 72 Times in 61 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ultradroid 1stliberal@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
I can't place a reference offhand either, but that's exactly one of the things I've seen posted numerous times.
From Seidio online - seidioonline.com "In order to obtain the full capacity of your Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you leave the battery/your phone on the charger for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging indicator turns green or the battery status show."

HTH,

-Mike
ultradroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ultradroid For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (March 7th, 2011), EvilMonkey (March 7th, 2011)
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 296
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 43
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra droid View Post
From Seidio online - seidioonline.com "In order to obtain the full capacity of your Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you leave the battery/your phone on the charger for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging indicator turns green or the battery status show."

HTH,

-Mike
Thanks for that, I thought I was going crazy. I knew I saw it somewhere.
EvilMonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
robrecht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): ThunderBolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra droid View Post
I respectfully disagree about Seidio. I have their extended batteries on my Dinc (the 3500 extended battery) and my Droid 1 (the 2700 Extended battery), and find that they both make a significant difference in battery life. The 2700 battery on my Droid1 works fine, but the Motorola hardware has difficulty reading extended batteries and gives bizarre readings of how much charge is left. It's not the battery's fault, it's the Motorola hardware to blame.

The Seidio 3500 battery for the Dinc was a Game Changer. Hands down, the *best* investment I ever made on a cellphone accessory. It absolutely SOLVED my battery problems on that phone. Now, I go days and days between charges...and I'm a heavy battery user.

Seidio makes quality batteries, and they're well worth the money you pay for them.

-Mike
Actually, you're not really disagreeing with what I said because you're talking about the huge, oversized batteries and I was talking about the 'extended life slim' batteries that Seidio advertizes as having a little bit more capacity but the same size as the stock battery. I've had both kinds from Sedio as well as the oversized OEM batteries. The oversized Seidio batteries definitely have higher capacity than the stock size batteries. I don't think anyone questions that.
robrecht is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Thunderbolt
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Thunderbolt is the first ever 4G phone on Verizon Wireless. The name is no surprise... you can expect the Thunderbolt to have lightning speeds as the carrier ushers in a new era of mobile power. While 4G speeds on a Verizon Android Phone ... Read More

Tags
battery, extended, htc thunderbolt


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.