Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default No new version of Sense 3.0 upgrade for the Thunderbolt!

So as per Engadget this morning, and coming straight from HTC themselves...Us Thunderbolt owners will not be getting the new version of sense when an update for Gingerbread gets pushed out. Its been said that it can only support its newer devices, like the Sensation, and EVO 3D...
Well doesn't that just stink!

Advertisements
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Eris w/ xtrSense
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Wow... this is the most disheartening part about their devices. So Sense3.0 will only work on dual-core devices...

Imagine Microsoft did this every time they released a new version of Windows? Would you buy a new computer every time? Sure, they already do this, in a sense... but you can still use old, sometimes very old, hardware on a new version of Windows... Even Apple allows this...
mdeblaz is offline  
Last edited by mdeblaz; April 14th, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atrain311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queensbury, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,187
 
Device(s): Too many to keep track of. But most recently a Note 2 and Note 3.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,074
Thanked 520 Times in 305 Posts
Default

This bums me out.
atrain311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
Posts: 594
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 95
Thanked 94 Times in 71 Posts
Default

What does Sense 3.0 do that 2.0 doesn't?

Hopefully it gets rid of the personalize button. Worthless thing.
AustinTech is offline  
Last edited by AustinTech; April 14th, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,922
 
Device(s): (NONE) LG G2 HTC DNA Droid RAZR HTC Rezound HTC Thunderbolt Droid X Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 561
Thanked 451 Times in 305 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

Listen guys, just because it doesn't come from HTC doesn't mean we won't get it!
jreed2560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jreed2560 For This Useful Post:
EgoDogg (April 14th, 2011)
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
BzB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Default

i'm pretty sure the XDA devs will take care of us rooted users who want sense 3.0.

for everyone else who isn't rooted that does stink. only thing you can hope for is maybe the HTC guy who said only dual cores will get 3.0 doesn't know all the facts and yapped his mouth too soon...
BzB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 76
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Default

See, now *this* pisses me off. This isn't just hardware marching on, getting better with time...this is planned obsolescence.
Wargazm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Eris w/ xtrSense
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargazm View Post
See, now *this* pisses me off. This isn't just hardware marching on, getting better with time...this is planned obsolescence.
Exactly... I can take the hardware differences - every device has them (except Apple... hmm maybe they're onto something), but software is software, it's easily upgradeable. BS that they decided they just will not upgrade their old phones... heck, the Thunderbolt isn't even old.

I think this news also gives sean76 more validity in his other thread. If HTC is planning the software obsolescence and their reason is due to hardware capabilities... then you can damn well believe that sean76 is right about the hardware argument. Simple logic.
mdeblaz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 339
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Using Launcher Pro has made Sense on my Thunderbolt moot.


Edit: I don't think this is some HTC conspiracy to force people to upgrade and spend more money. I think Sense is hardware accelerated. So it makes sense (lulz) that newer versions are optimized for the faster processors, especially dual core ones. If I was HTC, I'd put my resources and workforce into developing newer software and hardware than trying to keep people who own older hardware updated. The average consumer, other than the geeks here on the Forum, is probably so comfortable with the user interface of their phone and most likely will not want to update it anyway.
Left Coast DJ is offline  
Last edited by Left Coast DJ; April 14th, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Left Coast DJ For This Useful Post:
cbanning (April 14th, 2011)
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
Listen guys, just because it doesn't come from HTC doesn't mean we won't get it!
And the hacking/development community was one of the biggest factors for me buying the TB over the Bionic. I've already seen talk about porting Sense3.0 over to the TB and I'm sure we'll have it eventually.

Whether or not you should have to root to get 3.0 is a different story...but I'm glad it will be an option.
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 338
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default

This just in on Facebook:
HTC
Clarification: There are aspects of the latest HTC Sense that won’t work on some of our previous devices. We are working to incorporate other aspects that will. Stay tuned.
Stevessvt is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevessvt For This Useful Post:
EgoDogg (April 14th, 2011), lamoglinsgal (April 19th, 2011), load97 (April 15th, 2011)
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
BzB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargazm View Post
See, now *this* pisses me off. This isn't just hardware marching on, getting better with time...this is planned obsolescence.
it's definitely planned obsolescence, but isn't this also the way technology advancements work? for example, in the PC market some computers that were high end for their time aren't compatible with newer versions of windows due to hardware constraints. in the same vein, when HTC develops new versions of their software they're likely trying to take advantage of new opportunities provided by hardware advancements. at some point you have to move beyond the constraints of older tech and focus on the capabilities of newer tech, right? or am i misunderstanding your point...entirely possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeblaz View Post
I think this news also gives sean76 more validity in his other thread. If HTC is planning the software obsolescence and their reason is due to hardware capabilities... then you can damn well believe that sean76 is right about the hardware argument. Simple logic.
these seem like two different issues. the other thread was really about when a carrier released a phone that had long been available to them. VZW sat on it so long that it was closer to obsolescence when they finally did release it. that was not under HTC control. this thread is about HTC developing software for newer hardware and intentionally leaving older hardware out. two different scenarios with two different culprits.


edit:

and this announcement by HTC about sense 3.0 capability could also be damaging to VZW sales of the TB. HTC will probably be clarifying their statement about sense 3.0 very shortly or downplaying which devices will and won't be able to run specific sense features.
BzB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeblaz View Post
Exactly... I can take the hardware differences - every device has them (except Apple... hmm maybe they're onto something), but software is software, it's easily upgradeable. BS that they decided they just will not upgrade their old phones... heck, the Thunderbolt isn't even old.

I think this news also gives sean76 more validity in his other thread. If HTC is planning the software obsolescence and their reason is due to hardware capabilities... then you can damn well believe that sean76 is right about the hardware argument. Simple logic.
Thank you for that quote...
In my eyes it's just crazy that HTC wasn't looking at any of this being a problem. This is one very good reason why the TB should have came with a dual core. HTC has probably been hard at work at that new version of sense for some time. I would have thought someone would have said, hold up the Premier 4G device being the TB won't be able to run our newest software because of its single core. Hey maybe we should put our dual core in this baby. It's just blind, and not very good customer related business, that your shunning your devices that aren't even a few months old....not cool in my book. This doesn't diminish the fact that the TB is not a very good capable phone, however it's hardware will be a handicap moving forward into 2011, and that was theory within a few of my threads. Yes still a great phone, but missing a few key components. If Apple pulled a stunt like this the Apple heads would be rioting outside of Steve Jobs house. Imagine a year old Apple iPhone not being able to run the newest software? Nope, cause they know better then to piss of they're loyal following....not cool HTC, not cool at all.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

@ bzb...

No its really not 2 different issues, I said the TB should have came with a dual core, and now were hearing the TB can't run sense 3.0 because of it having a single core processor. That is a very BIG hardware handicap in my eyes moving deeper into 2011. But like some have said, when there's a will, there's a way. Just a little let down that this won't be OTA with Gingerbread. Shunning a device that's a month old is not good business practice by HTC at all.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
BzB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
@ bzb...

No its really not 2 different issues, I said the TB should have came with a dual core, and now were hearing the TB can't run sense 3.0 because of it having a single core processor. That is a very BIG hardware handicap in my eyes moving deeper into 2011. But like some have said, when there's a will, there's a way. Just a little let down that this won't be OTA with Gingerbread. Shunning a device that's a month old is not good business practice by HTC at all.
as i recall you allocated blame to HTC because VZW released a phone that was outdated. well if HTC gave the phone to VZW last year, but VZW wasn't ready to release it until this year i still don't understand how it's HTC fault that the phone was outdated when it was released. maybe you can explain why it's HTC fault that VZW released the phone late?

not trying to argue, trying to understand why you blame HTC when they can't force VZW to release a phone.

although the TB may have been on the market only a month, technically it's a device that is based on last year's technology (it's the USA version of the Desire Z that was released on the other side of the pond in Nov 2010). i knew this when i bought the phone and i also knew it was not going to be dual core. read up on the desire z and you'll see it's the same hardware as the TB.

personally i don't see the TB probably not getting sense 3.0 as a very big deal (rooted users will get it anyway), although it does stink that it may not get it officially. we all knew this wasn't a dual core phone when we bought it and we also knew that if we wanted dual core we would have to wait for the bionic or wait later in the year for the HTC dual core phone to be released on VZW.
BzB is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BzB For This Useful Post:
DRLyman (April 14th, 2011), dylo22 (April 14th, 2011), redraider1 (April 14th, 2011)
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ska.t73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,659
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Droid (retired), Thunderbolt (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 387
Thanked 309 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevessvt View Post
This just in on Facebook:
HTC
Clarification: There are aspects of the latest HTC Sense that won’t work on some of our previous devices. We are working to incorporate other aspects that will. Stay tuned.

This quote seems to mean that the TB will get an update to Sense, it might not be exact 3.0, but it looks like they are planing to incororate what they can into an update for the TB and other devices.

This would be a good thing.
ska.t73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
MongolStomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 253
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 HTC Rezound Asus pad TF300 HTC Thunderbolt rooted HTC Droid Eris Rooted. GSB 1.7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska.t73 View Post
This quote seems to mean that the TB will get an update to Sense, it might not be exact 3.0, but it looks like they are planing to incororate what they can into an update for the TB and other devices.

This would be a good thing.
I want the lockscreen and carousel look, but what else is there?
__________________
www.twitter.com/al_afterbuffalo FOLLOW ME!
MongolStomp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,532
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 944
Thanked 567 Times in 461 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargazm View Post
See, now *this* pisses me off. This isn't just hardware marching on, getting better with time...this is planned obsolescence.
Why because you cant get sense 3.0? Come on they already said they would update it to gingerbread you guys get worked up so easily damn relax take a chill pill it will be alright
redraider1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,532
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 944
Thanked 567 Times in 461 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
@ bzb...

No its really not 2 different issues, I said the TB should have came with a dual core, and now were hearing the TB can't run sense 3.0 because of it having a single core processor. That is a very BIG hardware handicap in my eyes moving deeper into 2011. But like some have said, when there's a will, there's a way. Just a little let down that this won't be OTA with Gingerbread. Shunning a device that's a month old is not good business practice by HTC at all.
You knew this when you got the phone so idk why every other day you are complaining about something with the tb. If you dont like it and expect it to get all the latest updates then return it wait for a dual core from HTC. The Evo never got sense 2.0 so why would this be any different?
redraider1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redraider1 For This Useful Post:
garnto (April 14th, 2011)
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzB View Post
as i recall you allocated blame to HTC because VZW released a phone that was outdated. well if HTC gave the phone to VZW last year, but VZW wasn't ready to release it until this year i still don't understand how it's HTC fault that the phone was outdated when it was released. maybe you can explain why it's HTC fault that VZW released the phone late?

not trying to argue, trying to understand why you blame HTC when they can't force VZW to release a phone.

although the TB may have been on the market only a month, technically it's a device that is based on last year's technology (it's the USA version of the Desire Z that was released on the other side of the pond in Nov 2010). i knew this when i bought the phone and i also knew it was not going to be dual core. read up on the desire z and you'll see it's the same hardware as the TB.

personally i don't see the TB probably not getting sense 3.0 as a very big deal (rooted users will get it anyway), although it does stink that it may not get it officially. we all knew this wasn't a dual core phone when we bought it and we also knew that if we wanted dual core we would have to wait for the bionic or wait later in the year for the HTC dual core phone to be released on VZW.

The TB was leaked very late in 2010, And most thought it would come in the First month of 2011. Even still with all they're development don't you think someone at HTC knew this phone wouldn't be capable of handling its newer software, meaning 3.0? This phone was and still is a very big deal for VZW, being its they're first LTE phone. So why not just throw a dual core in it? Especially if it won't be able to run its next roll out of sense. Not a good look that new software needs the new hardware to work. Like I said, imagine if Apple did this! They would be getting blasted from every angle. So essentially we'll have Sprint's new Flagship HTC device, the EVO 3D running the new version, we'll have T-Mobile's Flagship device, the Sensation running the new version, and our 3 month old Flagship phone from VZW, the Thunderbolt won't be able to because its lacking in the Hardware dept. That to me is just crazy! I said a couple of times in various threads and posts...Give us the new version of Sense with Gingerbread and this phone will be absolutely awesome, and all will forgivin for the crazy delays and the lack of hardware.
Now this morning from the horses mouth we hear we can't run the Newest version of sense 3.0 because we dont have a dual core processor on board! That is straight BS to me.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ska.t73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,659
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Droid (retired), Thunderbolt (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 387
Thanked 309 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
The TB was leaked very late in 2010, And most thought it would come in the First month of 2011. Even still with all they're development don't you think someone at HTC knew this phone wouldn't be capable of handling its newer software, meaning 3.0? This phone was and still is a very big deal for VZW, being its they're first LTE phone. So why not just throw a dual core in it? Especially if it won't be able to run its next roll out of sense. Not a good look that new software needs the new hardware to work. Like I said, imagine if Apple did this! They would be getting blasted from every angle. So essentially we'll have Sprint's new Flagship HTC device, the EVO 3D running the new version, we'll have T-Mobile's Flagship device, the Sensation running the new version, and our 3 month old Flagship phone from VZW, the Thunderbolt won't be able to because its lacking in the Hardware dept. That to me is just crazy! I said a couple of times in various threads and posts...Give us the new version of Sense with Gingerbread and this phone will be absolutely awesome, and all will forgivin for the crazy delays and the lack of hardware.
Now this morning from the horses mouth we hear we can't run the Newest version of sense 3.0 because we dont have a dual core processor on board! That is straight BS to me.
I understand what you are saying. However if you look at the new post from HTC it sounds like that are going to do all they can to bring everything they can from the new version of Sense to the TB and other phones. Sure it wont be a complete 3.0, but must of what people want will be in the release.

Not to mention the ROM for the Sensation has already been leaked, so anyone that has root will be getting 3.0 or at least things from it before the Sensation is even released.

I have no doubt in my mind that HTC will be releasing an updated Sense for this phone.
ska.t73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska.t73 View Post
I understand what you are saying. However if you look at the new post from HTC it sounds like that are going to do all they can to bring everything they can from the new version of Sense to the TB and other phones. Sure it wont be a complete 3.0, but must of what people want will be in the release.

Not to mention the ROM for the Sensation has already been leaked, so anyone that has root will be getting 3.0 or at least things from it before the Sensation is even released.

I have no doubt in my mind that HTC will be releasing an updated Sense for this phone.

I really hope so brother. They should indeed single out the TB and say we have something in the works that should make all you Thunderbolt owners very Happy. If they do that and really make an effort that'll be fine with me. Bad timing and bad choice of words by HTC this morning.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
BzB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
The TB was leaked very late in 2010, And most thought it would come in the First month of 2011. Even still with all they're development don't you think someone at HTC knew this phone wouldn't be capable of handling its newer software, meaning 3.0? This phone was and still is a very big deal for VZW, being its they're first LTE phone. So why not just throw a dual core in it? Especially if it won't be able to run its next roll out of sense. Not a good look that new software needs the new hardware to work. Like I said, imagine if Apple did this! They would be getting blasted from every angle. So essentially we'll have Sprint's new Flagship HTC device, the EVO 3D running the new version, we'll have T-Mobile's Flagship device, the Sensation running the new version, and our 3 month old Flagship phone from VZW, the Thunderbolt won't be able to because its lacking in the Hardware dept. That to me is just crazy! I said a couple of times in various threads and posts...Give us the new version of Sense with Gingerbread and this phone will be absolutely awesome, and all will forgivin for the crazy delays and the lack of hardware.
Now this morning from the horses mouth we hear we can't run the Newest version of sense 3.0 because we dont have a dual core processor on board! That is straight BS to me.
like i mentioned before, the TB is based on a device that was developed in early 2010. sense 3.0 was probably in very early development stage at that time so it's no surprise to me that by the time sense 3.0 was ready it was probably developed for their newer devices. HTC doesn't even have any dual core phones on the market right now so it wouldn't have been as simple as throwing a dual core in the TB so it would be future proof.

back in 2010 VZW asked HTC for a phone they could release in early 2011. at that time the newest phone HTC had that was production ready was based on the Desire HD so VZW took that one and rebranded it as the mecca. VZW could have waited until a dual core HTC phone was ready, but apparently they didn't want to wait for HTC's dual core phone to be ready. if they did wait they wouldn't have been able to roll out any LTE phones in Q1 2011, which VZW had already committed to.

as far as people mentioning they wanted sense 3.0 i have to say today is the first i've ever heard anyone mentioning wanting sense 3.0 on the TB. prior to today the discussion was always around when we'd get gingerbread. and we will get gingerbread later this year, maybe as early as this summer. who knows...

also, for anyone who thinks not getting sense 3.0 is a big deal: can you name two features of sense 3.0 that you'll greatly miss on the TB?
BzB is offline  
Last edited by BzB; April 14th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
nkd
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 333
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

KINDA Bull. The gpu on the the thunderbolt is more then enough to generate the graphics on the thunderbolt and processor is pretty damn fast too. Just an excuse just like any company to try to get you to buy new hardware.

Windows phone is all accelerated by GPU and it has the older crappy adreno 200.

Sense 3.0 is way better but I really dont care to be honest, I will most likely be changing out my phone in another year anyways.

The new lock screen is awesome. I hope they bring that.

I dont think people should have any hopes other then gingerbread. You loved the phone when you bought it and you shouldn't regret it just because you wont get sense 3.0. I mean its a great phone for what it is.
nkd is offline  
Last edited by nkd; April 14th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nkd For This Useful Post:
Chrizzl3 (April 18th, 2011)
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 279
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 62 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I think we should all keep in mind that you bought a phone. that phone is the single and only thing you bought when you purchased the tb. you did not purchase gingerbread or sense 3.0, so there is really no reason to complain here.

you can cry about how it's unfair and how those darned htc people just did it all on purpose, but all that does is make you look like a self entitled baby
garnto is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garnto For This Useful Post:
redraider1 (April 14th, 2011)
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Eris w/ xtrSense
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzB View Post
also, for anyone who thinks not getting sense 3.0 is a big deal: can you name two features of sense 3.0 that you'll greatly miss on the TB?
Eye candy... for the most part, that's all Sense is... isn't it? Yes, that's the only reason why I want Sense3.0 for my phone... that's also why I liked Sense over Vanilla Android in the first place and got an Eris rather than a Droid.

Hold your breath on arguing for the actual technical differences between Sense and Vanilla Android... It doesn't matter... the real reason people buy Sense is it looks better.
mdeblaz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
BzB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Default

^ can't argue with that. HTC does include some nice functionality features in sense like widgets and such in addition to the eye candy. the main reason i asked though is because, to be honest, i haven't looked into sense 3.0 and don't know the differences between 2.0 and 3.0 other than the obvious eye candy. i'll watch a youtube vid on it to see what we might be missing out on...
BzB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

@ bzb...

Me and a few others have stated that we really hope 3.0 comes to the TB with Gingerbread. I have said that since the day news and videos broke of the EVO 3D having it in board. Yes its great eye candy!
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
Posts: 594
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 95
Thanked 94 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Me likie the lockscreenie!

Don't need a dual core for that. Crap, you don't need 500 ghz for that! Bring it HTC. Don't be a Samsung.
AustinTech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 1,127
 
Device(s): Nook Color (Miui), HTC ThunderBolt (OMFGB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 151
Thanked 194 Times in 137 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to HTCThunderbolt
Default

Hmmmmm it was ready leaked. Ill bbe flashing it soon
HTCThunderbolt is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeblaz View Post
Eye candy... for the most part, that's all Sense is... isn't it? Yes, that's the only reason why I want Sense3.0 for my phone... that's also why I liked Sense over Vanilla Android in the first place and got an Eris rather than a Droid.
Eye candy...that's it?? All this hype about sense 3.0 is for more eye candy fluff? I was hoping for better features and functionalities. Seriously, does anybody know the difference between sense 2.0 and 3.0 beside a cool lock screen?
dylo22 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
BzB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Default

just watched the sensation launch event on youtube here YouTube - HTC Sensation Launch Event Highlights - London 2011.

i'm not sure i'll benefit from the biggest improvements i noticed in sense 3.0. those mainly being the lockscreen functionality and weather animations. why do you say? because as most android users do, i bypass the lockscreen with the nolock app. the weather animations are very cool indeed but nothing to really write home about.

you guys can look for yourself and see if not getting sense 3.0 is something to really get worked up over. based on what i've seen so far, it's nice but doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. hopefully there's some other stuff in there that would make me upset that we might not get it...
BzB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 408
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Eris w/ xtrSense
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylo22 View Post
Eye candy...that's it?? All this hype about sense 3.0 is for more eye candy fluff? I was hoping for better features and functionalities. Seriously, does anybody know the difference between sense 2.0 and 3.0 beside a cool lock screen?
I said hold that breath on technicalities! Sex sells... that's why SenseUI has been doing so well... it's the Eye Candy.
mdeblaz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 743
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 120 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeblaz View Post
I said hold that breath on technicalities! Sex sells... that's why SenseUI has been doing so well... it's the Eye Candy.
If that's the case, then not getting 3.0 on the TB is not a big deal to me. Juding by some of the responses, I really thought we'll be missing out on something important in 3.0. Come to find out...it's just more eye candy that I'll be bored of in a week. Eh...pass.
dylo22 is online now  
Last edited by dylo22; April 14th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Chrizzl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 339
 
Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 241
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Default

this might be a little of topic but a response would be appreciated-- (noob)

If you have a rooted phone with modified system apps etc. what steps do you take to be eligible for an OTA upgrade (whether we'll be getting it or not). do you have to revise some of your files with root explorer etc.?

just wondering- pretty new to this.

--Chrizz
Chrizzl3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #36 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizzl3 View Post
this might be a little of topic but a response would be appreciated-- (noob)

If you have a rooted phone with modified system apps etc. what steps do you take to be eligible for an OTA upgrade (whether we'll be getting it or not). do you have to revise some of your files with root explorer etc.?

just wondering- pretty new to this.

--Chrizz
Honestly it depends on the ROM you are using. If you are using the Stock ROMs (meaning you are just rooted) you should receive the update but your device will be unrooted after the update. Many of the ROMs block updates so you can retain root (which can become harder after official OTA's). You typically can get updates faster from the Dev community than you would from Verizon. If a new HTC Firmware is released or leaked...it will be available from the Devs ASAP.

Does that help?
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UBRocked For This Useful Post:
Chrizzl3 (April 18th, 2011)
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Chrizzl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 339
 
Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 241
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRocked View Post
Honestly it depends on the ROM you are using. If you are using the Stock ROMs (meaning you are just rooted) you should receive the update but your device will be unrooted after the update. Many of the ROMs block updates so you can retain root (which can become harder after official OTA's). You typically can get updates faster from the Dev community than you would from Verizon. If a new HTC Firmware is released or leaked...it will be available from the Devs ASAP.

Does that help?
Yes that really does, I appreciate it.

--I think I understand, but as I said I am pretty new to this. I have read some things that say you could restore a previous image (maybe stock image etc) to be eligible for an OTA upgrade. is this true? for example, the thing i was reading said "dont fully delete bloat w/o a copy of it otherwise the OTA system will read your files and see that they are altered" meaning- use root explorer to hide them so you can put them back if need be?

sorry if im rambling- just trying to learn a bit more. one more question, for example on xda forum i saw a release of a b0lt3d ROM i believe it was called. many reviews said it had no bugs and some cool features etc. it seems i could easily flash that to my TB. whats the risk??

-thanks in advance for any response to this-

-chris
Chrizzl3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizzl3 View Post
Yes that really does, I appreciate it.

--I think I understand, but as I said I am pretty new to this. I have read some things that say you could restore a previous image (maybe stock image etc) to be eligible for an OTA upgrade. is this true? for example, the thing i was reading said "dont fully delete bloat w/o a copy of it otherwise the OTA system will read your files and see that they are altered" meaning- use root explorer to hide them so you can put them back if need be?

sorry if im rambling- just trying to learn a bit more. one more question, for example on xda forum i saw a release of a b0lt3d ROM i believe it was called. many reviews said it had no bugs and some cool features etc. it seems i could easily flash that to my TB. whats the risk??

-thanks in advance for any response to this-

-chris

Unless something has changed (and I doubt it), Verizon can't detect any software running on your device. Are you running a custom ROM? If not, go check some of them out. The ROMs the Devs put out are not just different...they offer enhancements.

Example: I'm running Das BAMF 1.4 and instead of having recent apps in the pulldown notification bar...there is now a power control widget built in. This makes much more sense as you can always access your recent apps by holding the home key down for a couple of seconds.

You will see Gingerbread first from custom ROMs, you will see sense 3.0 on custom ROMs, etc.

Here's some advice...forget about OTA updates from Verizon. The ONLY reason I would ever revert back to stock would be if I needed to return the phone for warranty replacement (you don't want to send a rooted device back to Verizon cause rooting voids your warranty).
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UBRocked For This Useful Post:
Chrizzl3 (April 18th, 2011)
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Chrizzl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 339
 
Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 241
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRocked View Post
Unless something has changed (and I doubt it), Verizon can't detect any software running on your device. Are you running a custom ROM? If not, go check some of them out. The ROMs the Devs put out are not just different...they offer enhancements.

Example: I'm running Das BAMF 1.4 and instead of having recent apps in the pulldown notification bar...there is now a power control widget built in. This makes much more sense as you can always access your recent apps by holding the home key down for a couple of seconds.

You will see Gingerbread first from custom ROMs, you will see sense 3.0 on custom ROMs, etc.

Here's some advice...forget about OTA updates from Verizon. The ONLY reason I would ever revert back to stock would be if I needed to return the phone for warranty replacement (you don't want to send a rooted device back to Verizon cause rooting voids your warranty).
Thanks again man its all starting to come together-- why go thru verizon right?? haha

so are you recommending BAMF 1.4? any bugs etc? i have heard boLTEd is good. this is where im getting my info from

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009876

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1018628
this second one is the one i was thinking of--

what do u recommend? keep in mind im a noob looking for the smoothest experience possible.

thanks again man for the responses you are helping out a ton--
Chrizzl3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizzl3 View Post
Thanks again man its all starting to come together-- why go thru verizon right?? haha

so are you recommending BAMF 1.4? any bugs etc? i have heard boLTEd is good. this is where im getting my info from

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009876

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1018628
this second one is the one i was thinking of--

what do u recommend? keep in mind im a noob looking for the smoothest experience possible.

thanks again man for the responses you are helping out a ton--

No prob...we've all been there. I don't mind hijacked threads when it comes to getting someone squared away...but my apologies for doing so.

BAMF is a BAMF! LOL. I also am a fan of Liquid's work (Liquid Thunderbolt is the ROM name). But from what I've seen and heard...there aren't any "bad ROMs" out there. Each one offers different things so its really about finding one that works for you. Check out the ROM discriptions, read what people are saying, and give a few of em a test drive.

MAKE A BACKUP WITH CLOCKWORK RECOVERY before flashing a new ROM or kernel. That way, you can revert back quickly and easily.
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UBRocked For This Useful Post:
Chrizzl3 (April 18th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Chrizzl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 339
 
Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 241
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRocked View Post
No prob...we've all been there. I don't mind hijacked threads when it comes to getting someone squared away...but my apologies for doing so.

BAMF is a BAMF! LOL. I also am a fan of Liquid's work (Liquid Thunderbolt is the ROM name). But from what I've seen and heard...there aren't any "bad ROMs" out there. Each one offers different things so its really about finding one that works for you. Check out the ROM discriptions, read what people are saying, and give a few of em a test drive.

MAKE A BACKUP WITH CLOCKWORK RECOVERY before flashing a new ROM or kernel. That way, you can revert back quickly and easily.
thanks again man, i might take your advice and try BAMF 1.4 i made multiple backups of it and saved them to differnt locations so i dont do anything stupid. btw, do u think this is a good guide to go by??

[Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt - Android Forums

thanks again for your help it makes it a lot easier. ive been googling a lot but its hard to find exactly what i need. cheers!
Chrizzl3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #42 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

That looks like a good guide and I appreciate the creator of that guide showing how to do it "manually" via CWR instead of using ROM manager. Good advice there as ROM manager is not a complete solution...you need to know how to work the recovery manually.
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UBRocked For This Useful Post:
Chrizzl3 (April 18th, 2011)
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Chrizzl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 339
 
Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 241
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRocked View Post
That looks like a good guide and I appreciate the creator of that guide showing how to do it "manually" via CWR instead of using ROM manager. Good advice there as ROM manager is not a complete solution...you need to know how to work the recovery manually.
might take your advice on the BAMF because there are not many screenshots for the other boLTEd rom. guess i can always try both if everything goes smoothly--
Chrizzl3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Chrizzl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 339
 
Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 241
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizzl3 View Post
might take your advice on the BAMF because there are not many screenshots for the other boLTEd rom. guess i can always try both if everything goes smoothly--
by the way what is the difference between 1.4 and the remix?
Chrizzl3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #45 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizzl3 View Post
by the way what is the difference between 1.4 and the remix?

I don't remember...I just remember thinking it wasn't for me. I think its just themed and optimized a little bit differently. Performance should be the same because it uses the same base ROM
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
aileendq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Female
Posts: 226
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 32
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
So as per Engadget this morning, and coming straight from HTC themselves...Us Thunderbolt owners will not be getting the new version of sense when an update for Gingerbread gets pushed out. Its been said that it can only support its newer devices, like the Sensation, and EVO 3D...
Well doesn't that just stink!
While I am not happy about this, I'm not irate, either. The Sensation looks amazing, but it won't be on Verizon in the US, and although Verizon is on my "list" right now, they are still the best service provider there is, at least on the East Coast.


I don't when other htc phones that are comparable to the TB (huge screen, 4G, etc.) will come out, but I have no doubt they will be here soon.

From the videos that I saw, Sense 3.0 is very nice, but doesn't have anything I can't live without. For now, at least.
aileendq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Thunderbolt
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Thunderbolt is the first ever 4G phone on Verizon Wireless. The name is no surprise... you can expect the Thunderbolt to have lightning speeds as the carrier ushers in a new era of mobile power. While 4G speeds on a Verizon Android Phone ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.