Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
darkcyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Alabama
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 754
Thanked 141 Times in 103 Posts
Default Do you have to get a new SIM card?

I have friend that purchased the HTC Thunderbolt and kept it about a week and didn't like it because she was having problems with her email and text messaging and Verizon would not take the phone back because she threw away the box. So, she has switched back to AT&T and has it for sale cheap and I am buying it from her. Now, to my question. Will I have to get a new sim card from Verizon to use this phone?

darkcyber is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WormDoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,199
 
Device(s): G2 & Nexus 7
Carrier: Trapped on Verizon

Thanks: 605
Thanked 1,288 Times in 672 Posts
tren8622@gmail.com
Default

As long as the phone is deactivated and wiped clean (factory reset) I don't think you'll have an issue using the SIM included. I could be wrong, though. Best bet is to call CS and ask them.
WormDoes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
moondrius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 539
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 138 Times in 110 Posts
Default

From what I was told once a sim is activated it can not be reactivated on another line. You probably need a new sim.
moondrius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
xkingofgodzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 342
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Yes you will need a new sim card.
__________________
Galaxy Nexus: unlocked and rooted.
HTC Thunderbolt: Retired, you served me well. Waiting for a sale. Hit me up for info 9.5/10 lots of extras.
HTC Droid Incredible: Sold You will be missed.
xkingofgodzx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Usually off topic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: FG
Posts: 10,465
 
Device(s): Gnex N7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,166
Thanked 4,976 Times in 3,268 Posts
Default

Is it like that for all SIM cards, I purchased a used D2G and used the SIM no problem, when I got the TB she got the D2G and has been using it no problem.
__________________
Forum Gaming
Yeahha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
darkcyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Alabama
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 754
Thanked 141 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Well, I did call VZW CS first and the tech lady said it would require a new sim card and VZW would send one to me for free. But I just wanted to hear it from folks in here that actually know and use this phone. I was thinking surely there was a way to use it without having to switch sim cards, but I guess not. I am actually getting this one for my sister (new sim card for that) and if she decided she didn't like it, then I thought I might get it and play around with it, but then that would mean another sim card
darkcyber is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
xkingofgodzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 342
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahha View Post
Is it like that for all SIM cards, I purchased a used D2G and used the SIM no problem, when I got the TB she got the D2G and has been using it no problem.
There is a difference between a global sim card and a 4g LTE sim card. Dont ask me the difference between the obvious, but you need to get a new 4g sim card if you deactivate the phone.
xkingofgodzx is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xkingofgodzx For This Useful Post:
darkcyber (May 6th, 2011)
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Usually off topic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: FG
Posts: 10,465
 
Device(s): Gnex N7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,166
Thanked 4,976 Times in 3,268 Posts
Default

Wierd, I wonder why VZW is now going to SIM cards they seem to cause more trouble than help, and I doubt they will be like the SIM cards on other networks where if you replace your phone you can just pop it out and use it on a different phone.
Yeahha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
moondrius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 539
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 138 Times in 110 Posts
Default

LTE requires a sim and yes you can just swap sims with lte enabled verizon phones.
moondrius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WormDoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,199
 
Device(s): G2 & Nexus 7
Carrier: Trapped on Verizon

Thanks: 605
Thanked 1,288 Times in 672 Posts
tren8622@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahha View Post
Is it like that for all SIM cards, I purchased a used D2G and used the SIM no problem, when I got the TB she got the D2G and has been using it no problem.
Same here for one of my friends, I assumed it would be the same for the TB, guess I was wrong
WormDoes is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
darkcyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Alabama
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 754
Thanked 141 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkingofgodzx View Post
There is a difference between a global sim card and a 4g LTE sim card. Dont ask me the difference between the obvious, but you need to get a new 4g sim card if you deactivate the phone.
Thanks for the info.

Another question. Say I get a new sim card for phone number 123-456-7890 and activate the phone and then she decides she does not like it and goes back to her Droid X. I take the TB and get a new sim card and activate it on my phone 123-456-0987 and use it. Then my sister wants it back, would the sim card she used still work, since it was activated to her phone number? I know, crazy explanation, but just curious if a sim card will still work on that same number once it has been activated.
darkcyber is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 43
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondrius View Post
LTE requires a sim and yes you can just swap sims with lte enabled verizon phones.
You are right but... whatever phone # was activated on that SIM card cannot be erased. If you want to change the number on a SIM card you can't at this time, you'll need to get a 'new' SIM card.

Lator
boilator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

They are a one time activation, I deactivated mine for a few days to use my eris before selling it, and I had to get a new one. Only off for 2 days. Hope this helps.
th325 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
darkcyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Alabama
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 754
Thanked 141 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th325 View Post
They are a one time activation, I deactivated mine for a few days to use my eris before selling it, and I had to get a new one. Only off for 2 days. Hope this helps.
I don't fully understand your answer. By one time activation, do you mean you activate the sim card one time to one phone number and then you can switch back to that phone and sim card later? i.e. if I activate sims card #1 to phone number A and then decide to go back to my Droid X and then later come back to the TB with sim card #1, will it work with that card again?
darkcyber is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
nkd
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 333
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Once a phone is activated on a sim that sim can not be reactivated period. Trust me been there done that. if you want the sim under your number you need a new sim and the old sim is pretty much garbage.
nkd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
nkd
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 333
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcyber View Post
I don't fully understand your answer. By one time activation, do you mean you activate the sim card one time to one phone number and then you can switch back to that phone and sim card later? i.e. if I activate sims card #1 to phone number A and then decide to go back to my Droid X and then later come back to the TB with sim card #1, will it work with that card again?
To my knowledge if you deactivate a sim you can not reactivate it again. Once you switch phones you need a new sim everytime you switch phones. Once a sim is provisioned and than number is shifted to another phone and you wanna go back to thunderbolt you need a new sim. However if you had 2 LTE phones you can switch the sim in those phones and your number and info will carry over to the new phone.
nkd is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nkd For This Useful Post:
darkcyber (May 7th, 2011)
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,914
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA Employee Edition
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 560
Thanked 448 Times in 303 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th325 View Post
They are a one time activation, I deactivated mine for a few days to use my eris before selling it, and I had to get a new one. Only off for 2 days. Hope this helps.

Exact same thing happened to me.
jreed2560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,914
 
Device(s): HTC Droid DNA Employee Edition
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 560
Thanked 448 Times in 303 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahha View Post
Is it like that for all SIM cards, I purchased a used D2G and used the SIM no problem, when I got the TB she got the D2G and has been using it no problem.

The reason for this is that you don't actually activate the sim in the Droid 2 unless you put the phone on a global plan.
jreed2560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
darkcyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Alabama
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 754
Thanked 141 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkd View Post
To my knowledge if you deactivate a sim you can not reactivate it again. Once you switch phones you need a new sim everytime you switch phones. Once a sim is provisioned and than number is shifted to another phone and you wanna go back to thunderbolt you need a new sim. However if you had 2 LTE phones you can switch the sim in those phones and your number and info will carry over to the new phone.
Why in the world does VZW do that? Why not just make it to where you can use the same sim card again? Frankly I think this sucks and really makes me not like this phone now
darkcyber is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default You don't need a new sim card.

I have a Thunderbolt as well and I just went on the Verizon site a few minutes ago and changed my number. AFter you request a new number it takes about 5-10 minutes after you turn your phone off for it to recognize the new one. When my phone didn't work at first, I called support and they told me I needed a new Sim Card but you don't. You can just change ur number through the site. I think its a new type of sim card or something. Hope this helps
mcdoub1986 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Just found out about this 1 time activation thing...So once you activate a SIM and use it then deactivate and go to a different phone, you'll need a NEW SIM once you want to go back to the Thunderbolt...

Kind of ruins the point of a SIM doesn't it?
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
brizey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 591
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt,Acer A200,Kindle Fire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 120 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
Just found out about this 1 time activation thing...So once you activate a SIM and use it then deactivate and go to a different phone, you'll need a NEW SIM once you want to go back to the Thunderbolt...

Kind of ruins the point of a SIM doesn't it?
Why would you deactivate it? That is the point of a SIM--the SIM is activated, not the phone it is in, so you can move it from phone to phone. The issue is that these SIMs are LTE specific, so they can only be used in LTE phones.

A similar kind of thing happened when Nextel went from "two digit" to "three digit" phones--you needed a new type of SIM.

Edit:

Here is Verizon's FAQ on the SIM: http://support.vzw.com/faqs/VZAccess/4g_sim_card.html
(In particular, look at items #8 and #12)
brizey is offline  
Last edited by brizey; July 6th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizey View Post
Why would you deactivate it? That is the point of a SIM--the SIM is activated, not the phone it is in, so you can move it from phone to phone. The issue is that these SIMs are LTE specific, so they can only be used in LTE phones.

A similar kind of thing happened when Nextel went from "two digit" to "three digit" phones--you needed a new type of SIM.

Edit:

Here is Verizon's FAQ on the SIM: Answers to FAQs
(In particular, look at items #8 and #12)
You don't get the situation or I wasn't clear:

1. I got a Thunderbolt at the Verizon store and they put in the SIM and activated it for me.

2. I missed my iPhone so I activated my iPhone thus it made my TB unactivated.

3. Now I want to use the TB and tried calling Customer service to reactivate it. They told me that since I went back to iPhone, I need a new SIM. You need a new SIM every time you switch away from the TB.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Sketchr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 400
 
Device(s): Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 106
Thanked 176 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
You don't get the situation or I wasn't clear:

1. I got a Thunderbolt at the Verizon store and they put in the SIM and activated it for me.

2. I missed my iPhone so I activated my iPhone thus it made my TB unactivated.

3. Now I want to use the TB and tried calling Customer service to reactivate it. They told me that since I went back to iPhone, I need a new SIM. You need a new SIM every time you switch away from the TB.
Right. That's to avoid 2 devices active on one phone number at the same time. As per FAQs you can remove SIM from TB and place it in the Charge or Revolution ~ essentially making the TB "inactive" w/o the SIM. But since iPhone is 3G and has its own micro SIM, they need to inactivate your SIM from 4G if you choose to start using that iPhone.
Sketchr is offline  
Last edited by Sketchr; July 7th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchr View Post
Right. That's to avoid 2 devices active on one phone number at the same time. As per FAQs you can remove SIM from TB and place it in the Charge or Revolution ~ essentially making the TB "inactive" w/o the SIM. But since iPhone is 3G and has its own micro SIM, they need to inactivate your SIM from 4G if you choose to start using that iPhone.
iPhone doesn't have a SIM. The point is, they should've just let me keep my SIM and be able to reactivate it whenever I want just like reactivating a phone with an MEID #. It seems stupid to have to get a new SIM card every time I want to use my TB.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Sketchr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 400
 
Device(s): Rezound
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 106
Thanked 176 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
iPhone doesn't have a SIM. The point is, they should've just let me keep my SIM and be able to reactivate it whenever I want just like reactivating a phone with an MEID #. It seems stupid to have to get a new SIM card every time I want to use my TB.
Ok, wasn't sure. The iPhone 4 from at&t has a micro sim. In any case, the phone will be deactivated if a 4g lte card is activated on the same number
Sketchr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
brizey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 591
 
Device(s): Thunderbolt,Acer A200,Kindle Fire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 120 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
You don't get the situation or I wasn't clear:

1. I got a Thunderbolt at the Verizon store and they put in the SIM and activated it for me.

2. I missed my iPhone so I activated my iPhone thus it made my TB unactivated.

3. Now I want to use the TB and tried calling Customer service to reactivate it. They told me that since I went back to iPhone, I need a new SIM. You need a new SIM every time you switch away from the TB.

Yeah, makes sense now. I think they do a one time encrypted write to the sim card, so it has one shot at taking a setup. Security thing so that someone can't steal your sim and change the phone number of the account. It also lets them kill off a sim for good.

But really, what is the big deal? Can't you just walk in a Verizon store and get a new sim set up or have them overnight you a new one? My guess is that you want to be able to flip back and forth between the iphone (for size?) and the Tbolt (for performance?) at will...and that is not going to happen easily. My BIL in Malaysia does that. He has a tiny "weekend" phone and a full function "work" phone that he swaps the GSM sim back and forth between.
brizey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizey View Post
Yeah, makes sense now. I think they do a one time encrypted write to the sim card, so it has one shot at taking a setup. Security thing so that someone can't steal your sim and change the phone number of the account. It also lets them kill off a sim for good.

But really, what is the big deal? Can't you just walk in a Verizon store and get a new sim set up or have them overnight you a new one? My guess is that you want to be able to flip back and forth between the iphone (for size?) and the Tbolt (for performance?) at will...and that is not going to happen easily. My BIL in Malaysia does that. He has a tiny "weekend" phone and a full function "work" phone that he swaps the GSM sim back and forth between.
Yes pretty much. I have a black iPhone that matches a lot of my clothing. Then sometimes the white iPhone matches some clothing. The Thunderbolt is what I use to go out with geeky friends. Then I have a Blackberry for when I go out to bars and am not afraid of getting it stolen.
chris2k5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

HTC Thunderbolt
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The HTC Thunderbolt is the first ever 4G phone on Verizon Wireless. The name is no surprise... you can expect the Thunderbolt to have lightning speeds as the carrier ushers in a new era of mobile power. While 4G speeds on a Verizon Android Phone ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.