Go Back   Android Forums > Manufacturers > HTC

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 98
 
Device(s): ROM: Serendipity 6.2 Kernel : Paragon 1200 mhz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Htc is a fail!

Well all this week HTC has been a fail. Why are they showcasing phones that have the same specs as there predecessor? Come on a " incredible s" whats the s for speed? It's seems like an apple move to me. From iphone 3g to 3gs. Samsung is laughing at HTC for failing at MWC HTC Unveils the Incredible S, Desire S, and Wildfire S at MWC | Android Phone Fans

Advertisements
Socrats is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 978
 
Device(s): VZW-Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 561 Times in 312 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrats View Post
Well all this week HTC has been a fail. Why are they showcasing phones that have the same specs as there predecessor? Come on a " incredible s" whats the s for speed? It's seems like an apple move to me. From iphone 3g to 3gs. Samsung is laughing at HTC for failing at MWC HTC Unveils the Incredible S, Desire S, and Wildfire S at MWC | Android Phone Fans
You need to read up on the difference between the MSM 8255 chipset and the MSM 8250 chipset, as well as the difference between Sense 2.0 and original Sense. They aren't quantum leaps forwards, but they are easily more differentiated than the 3G to 3GS were and more like 3G to 4G which was a huge jump as far as iOS is concerned.

Samsung's laughing rights should be revoked until they stop screwing the millions of people that have US Galaxy S variants and get Froyo out.
zerocool79346 is offline  
Last edited by zerocool79346; February 15th, 2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: HKM caught my mistake.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerocool79346 For This Useful Post:
IOWA (February 16th, 2011), tiny2nz (February 18th, 2011), tommy_ed (February 16th, 2011)
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
HKM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 422
 
Device(s): HTC HD2/Glacier
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HKM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool79346 View Post
You need to read up on the difference between the MSM 8255 chipset and the MSM 8250 chipset, as well as the difference between Sense 2.0 and original Sense. They aren't quantum leaps forwards, but they easily as differentiated as the 3G to 3GS were and more like 3G to 4G to be honest.

Samsung's laughing rights should be revoked until they stop screwing the millions of people that have US Galaxy S variants and get Froyo out.
LOL thats void augment as if he did understand it he wouldn't have posted it. But you are right he does not understand difference between 1GS vs 2GS SoC and AMD Z430(Adreno200) vs AMD Z460(Adreno205), along with power efficiency.

The Samsung thing made me laugh lol as they are notorious for screwing the users and sticking it to them and then sell folks the same device with little update calling it new phone.
HKM is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKM For This Useful Post:
zerocool79346 (February 15th, 2011)
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 978
 
Device(s): VZW-Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 561 Times in 312 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKM View Post
LOL thats void augment as if he did understand it he wouldn't have posted it. But you are right he does not understand difference between 1GS vs 2GS SoC and AMD Z430(Adreno200) vs AMD Z460(Adreno205), along with power efficiency.

The Samsung thing made me laugh lol as they are notorious for screwing the users and sticking it to them and then sell folks the same device with little update calling it new phone.
Haha I didn't see that he was actually using that as his argument! Nice eye.

I think our lust for tech as kind of clouded our eyes. The Incredible S has probably been in R&D for 4 or 5 months. Back then, dual cores were just becoming feasible (much like quad cores now) and there was no way that HTC could've adjusted that late in the game.

I should amend my statement anyway, the difference between Sense and Sense 2.0 is, in itself, more than the gap between the 3G to 3GS. Point is, even though it isn't revolutionary, it is definitely a jump in the right direction.
zerocool79346 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
HKM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 422
 
Device(s): HTC HD2/Glacier
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HKM
Default

Ya your right Zero but I don't want to hijack his thread and make this whole thing about Snapdragon vs Hummingbird as I have done that extensively in XDA and AC forum. I mean honestly lol Samsung should be the last person to even be talking knowing their history to abandon people. As I said before Samsung shouldn't be allowed to make anything other than TV's as they are good at that so credit must be given far as OP goes to think HTC dropped more flagship device in every carrier's profile than any vendor, yet according to him HTC fails because he couldn't see though the Samsung BS.
HKM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 875
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Droid Eris, MyTouch 3G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 208 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrats View Post
Well all this week HTC has been a fail. Why are they showcasing phones that have the same specs as there predecessor? Come on a " incredible s" whats the s for speed? It's seems like an apple move to me. From iphone 3g to 3gs. Samsung is laughing at HTC for failing at MWC HTC Unveils the Incredible S, Desire S, and Wildfire S at MWC | Android Phone Fans
HTC does that all the time.

Look at HTC's five WP7 phones for example. If you look and study them closely, look at their specs, they're pretty much face lifted HTC Desire, which is a face lift Google Nexus One.

The reason why HTC is so quick to the market with "another" phone, is that they take an existing phone and repackage it.

Note, the Droid Incredible is a repack of the Desire.

I said before, expect the Desire 2 to be a repackage of the MyTouch 4G. The Inspire and Thunderbolt are Desire HD repacks, in fact the Inspire uses the same case as the Desire HD.

The Incredible S is a bit of a surprise because it is GSM and it is using 4", a screen size that is not on any HTC before. It fits between 3.7" and 4.3" which I wonder why since it doesn't strongly differentiate from the other two.

The Wildfire S seems from the gene line that constantly reinvents itself as new since the HTC Magic. Then you got the HTC Hero, Tattoo, Legend, Aria, Gratia, Droid Eris and Wildfire and now this. Ditto with the Cha Cha. The lighted Facebook button is a reminder of the older days of HTC when you got lighted trackballs. The Salsa certainly screams "Legend" to me.

The Cha Cha phone with the Blackberry form factor seems interesting though. Note a resemblance to an early Android prototype.

Keep in mind, HTC is likely to have dual core phones based on the third generation Qualcomm Snapdragon possibly by summer.
__________________
Check me at @Guamguy in Twitter
Guamguy is offline  
Last edited by Guamguy; February 16th, 2011 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 98
 
Device(s): ROM: Serendipity 6.2 Kernel : Paragon 1200 mhz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Wow I get flamed for stating my opinion. I don't care about the difference between this processor or that processor. Making an incredible with no trackball and just minor improvements , one being the RAM is just a waste of revenue that could be put into another or better project.HTC makes a phone for one carrier , then makes minor improvements and tweaks and sells it. And as for saying samsung should stick to making tv's there tablets are already the best out, and can easily surpass the ipad or any htc tablet. And oh yea Hummingbird kicks snapdragon's ass. And if you disagree the benchmarks prove otherwise so :P
Socrats is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 98
 
Device(s): ROM: Serendipity 6.2 Kernel : Paragon 1200 mhz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamguy View Post
HTC does that all the time.

Look at HTC's five WP7 phones for example. If you look and study them closely, look at their specs, they're pretty much face lifted HTC Desire, which is a face lift Google Nexus One.

The reason why HTC is so quick to the market with "another" phone, is that they take an existing phone and repackage it.

Note, the Droid Incredible is a repack of the Desire.

I said before, expect the Desire 2 to be a repackage of the MyTouch 4G. The Inspire and Thunderbolt are Desire HD repacks, in fact the Inspire uses the same case as the Desire HD.

The Incredible S is a bit of a surprise because it is GSM and it is using 4", a screen size that is not on any HTC before. It fits between 3.7" and 4.3" which I wonder why since it doesn't strongly differentiate from the other two.

The Wildfire S seems from the gene line that constantly reinvents itself as new since the HTC Magic. Then you got the HTC Hero, Tattoo, Legend, Aria, Gratia, Droid Eris and Wildfire and now this. Ditto with the Cha Cha. The lighted Facebook button is a reminder of the older days of HTC when you got lighted trackballs. The Salsa certainly screams "Legend" to me.

The Cha Cha phone with the Blackberry form factor seems interesting though. Note a resemblance to an early Android prototype.

Keep in mind, HTC is likely to have dual core phones based on the third generation Qualcomm Snapdragon possibly by summer.

At least you didn't flame me. And thats why I said they failed because they are just remodelling devices and renaming.
Socrats is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrats View Post
Wow I get flamed for stating my opinion. I don't care about the difference between this processor or that processor. Making an incredible with no trackball and just minor improvements , one being the RAM is just a waste of revenue that could be put into another or better project.HTC makes a phone for one carrier , then makes minor improvements and tweaks and sells it. And as for saying samsung should stick to making tv's there tablets are already the best out, and can easily surpass the ipad or any htc tablet. And oh yea Hummingbird kicks snapdragon's ass. And if you disagree the benchmarks prove otherwise so :P
And according to benchmarks, the leap from the Desire's processor to the Desire S' processor is comparable to the leap from the Thunderbolt's processor to the Atrix's processor. If you think that is minor then your argument for a dual core is also moot since it's also a 'minor' leap from the current Snapdragons.

I think the issue here is that HTC does not do enough to differentiate the second gen Snapdragons. Too many people are reading 1Ghz and immediately thinking there was no change.

Again, this is a mainstream phone that's selling for 100 Euros more than the current Desire. I don't think HTC ever expected to be pitting it up against the Samsung and Motorola flagships in terms of price. Nor is it really meant as an upgrade for current Desire users, I'd say it's more geared towards new customers upgrading from their previous 2 year contracts. They now have a choice of a Desire S or a cheaper Desire.
OpticCacophony is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hrbib21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 874
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note3 Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrats View Post
Wow I get flamed for stating my opinion. I don't care about the difference between this processor or that processor. Making an incredible with no trackball and just minor improvements , one being the RAM is just a waste of revenue that could be put into another or better project.HTC makes a phone for one carrier , then makes minor improvements and tweaks and sells it. And as for saying samsung should stick to making tv's there tablets are already the best out, and can easily surpass the ipad or any htc tablet. And oh yea Hummingbird kicks snapdragon's ass. And if you disagree the benchmarks prove otherwise so :P
Saying "I don't care" doesn't make it any less of a valid point. Whether you choose to accept it or not is irrelevant. The fact is, they are different processors with different performance and that's all there is to it.

Galaxy tab better than the iPad? Absolutely not. And I can't stand Apple.

BTW, there's one sure way to never be inconvenienced by another HTC product: don't buy them.
hrbib21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 978
 
Device(s): VZW-Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 561 Times in 312 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrats View Post
Wow I get flamed for stating my opinion. I don't care about the difference between this processor or that processor. Making an incredible with no trackball and just minor improvements , one being the RAM is just a waste of revenue that could be put into another or better project.HTC makes a phone for one carrier , then makes minor improvements and tweaks and sells it. And as for saying samsung should stick to making tv's there tablets are already the best out, and can easily surpass the ipad or any htc tablet. And oh yea Hummingbird kicks snapdragon's ass. And if you disagree the benchmarks prove otherwise so :P
Lol at your fanboism. I'm not posting a rebuttal because I know where this is going, nowhere. Your opinions do not override facts, sorry.
zerocool79346 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Pencheven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Midlands - England
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD - Orange
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool79346 View Post
Lol at your fanboism. I'm not posting a rebuttal because I know where this is going, nowhere. Your opinions do not override facts, sorry.
What's funny is that in one instance he claims not to care about the difference between processors when choosing a product, and in the very next states a preference of processor which suggests an inclination towards choosing a product, nonsense hah
Pencheven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default

According to his logic, more RAM, better processor, aluminium uni-body, Sense 2.1 = same phone.

What else is there to a phone to upgrade? Super AMOLED Plus would be nice but there's no way Sammy would relinquish that exclusivity.
OpticCacophony is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 27,230
 
Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 14,331
Thanked 16,332 Times in 8,739 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticCacophony View Post
What else is there to a phone to upgrade? Super AMOLED Plus would be nice but there's no way Sammy would relinquish that exclusivity.

Pretty positive the original desire had a super AMOLED screen on release? Could be wrong though?
El Presidente is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Pretty positive the original desire had a super AMOLED screen on release? Could be wrong though?
Partially. It was just AMOLED. Super AMOLED and Super AMOLED Plus still remains a Sammy exclusive. Personally I'd much prefer an LCD over regular AMOLED. My Zune HD gives me headaches when I try and use it outside.
OpticCacophony is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
HKM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 422
 
Device(s): HTC HD2/Glacier
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Send a message via AIM to HKM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrats View Post
And if you disagree the benchmarks prove otherwise so :P
You should be the last person talking about benchmark here as you seem to be little vague on the hardware itself and software is whole another ball game, but as I posted before you might want to read it so you understand it why what it seems not always what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKM View Post
Love it when people who don't understand talk about numbers that no way ever translate in to anything meaningful much less even can be compared in given scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKM View Post
You guys are aware that synthetic benchmark means nothing right? When we talk about Quadrant it will favor Snapdragon over Hummingbird due to the way ARMv7 set uses instruction set. However if you look at NS it scores 4000+ score and is the current highest device to archive that yet my MT4G beats it in performance.

How do I know all of this? I have done extended testing on all device up to end of jan. Now far as Hummingbird goes only good thing about it is the SGX540 which is slightly better than Adreno205(AMD Z460). Far as NS goes using TrinityOC kernel if you understand how its implemented using slab/sqlb you can score higher just on benchmark which will not translate in to performance. As MT4G is sharing same spec with DHD/TB with 2GS/768mb ddr/AMD z460 due to how memory is allocated it beats NS.

In simple term benchmark means nothing so don't let it get to your head and most people like us who due benchmark :P we "create" it that way as its not fake but its not 100% real also as its just think of it as lab testing lol as you will not able to replicate it as we modify it heavily to achieve it just for the "show". Also remember all chips are not equal as performance will vary even depending on the same line SoC's.
HKM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Manufacturers > HTC
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.