Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > Huawei IDEOS X6 (U9000)

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #151 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

The funny thing about the Ascend, it was released on 2 carriers (Cricket and Metro PCS) and last week they released the Froyo update for Metro, but not Cricket. I guess Cricket wasn't willing to cough up the $$ for an update. (I'm in Dayton, btw). I'll do some research on the unlocked/sim card question over the weekend. CinBell has a prepaid unlimited smartphone plan for $60 that would be a great deal if I can get reliable service.

I like those dock icons!

P.S. we had a thread about the Huawei vs US govt situation going for a while in the politics and current affairs section. Jazziette had a bug up her butt that the US was discriminating against Huawei. She disappeared from the forums a couple months ago and the thread went cold. I saw a while back that Huawei and Motorola settled the lawsuits they had against each other, so maybe they can focus on other things now. They still won't release the source code for the 2.2 kernal for the Ascend so the devs can play with it.

Advertisements
__________________
"Machete don't text"
Gmash is offline  
Last edited by Gmash; June 7th, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #152 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
The funny thing about the Ascend, it was released on 2 carriers (Cricket and Metro PCS) and last week they released the Froyo update for Metro, but not Cricket. I guess Cricket wasn't willing to cough up the $$ for an update.
Yeah i knew about the two, hadn't heard about the update though! cheers for the heads up... Metro's phone choices are crap no wonder they bothered sourcing the update, mind you so are Crickets.

Why dont you just flash the Metro update to your cricket ascend? like how we flashed the Thailand WellcoM A99 2.2.2 X6 update to the Philippine Cherry Mobile Magnum 2.2.1 X6. The two US companies are using different deployments, being Ev-Do is slightly better but that shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah that tron theme im trying out is alright, waiting for you guys to give me a CM7 for my X6 come on Devs ill be switching to dual core soon.
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #153 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
Yeah i knew about the two, hadn't heard about the update though! cheers for the heads up... Metro's phone choices are crap no wonder they bothered sourcing the update, mind you so are Crickets.

Why dont you just flash the Metro update to your cricket ascend? like how we flashed the Thailand WellcoM A99 2.2.2 X6 update to the Philippine Cherry Mobile Magnum 2.2.1 X6. The two US companies are using different deployments, being Ev-Do is slightly better but that shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah that tron theme im trying out is alright, waiting for you guys to give me a CM7 for my X6 come on Devs ill be switching to dual core soon.
I guess there is enough difference between the two versions of the Ascend that the Metro update won't work for Cricket as-is. I'm sure it would be simple for someone with some coding knowledge to make it work, but we have mostly finished ports of CM6&7 with everything working for the Ascend, so I don't think anyone is too worried about it.
I know you know this, but most people here buy their phone from their carrier, and stick with them (i know its not like that in most of the world). My point being, if somebody besides Cincinnati Bell doesn't pick up this phone, I'm not sure how many devs will even know it exists. T-Mobile gets a lot of Huawei products, I was thinking they might try to get it.
Have you heard anything about the Huawei x5 coming to Cricket? I thought the Ascend 2 was going to take its place, but someone on the forum said the x5 was still coming. They seem too similar for Cricket to carry both, but you never know with them.
Safe travels, and have fun in Asia next week!
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #154 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Looks like Motorola picked this phone up and will rebrand it as Motorola TRIUMPH.

Motorola TRIUMPH specs - Phone Arena

Motorola Triumph - Full phone specifications

Great news for us Magnum HD / Huawei X6 users because development for the unit should be faster and broader now like custom roms tweaks and official firmware upgrades! Imagine a magnum hd running motoblur......
mecha50 is offline  
Last edited by mecha50; June 10th, 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mecha50 For This Useful Post:
pre (June 12th, 2011)
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #155 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Additional links....

Motorola TRIUMPH announced for Virgin Mobile | Ubergizmo

Motorola TRIUMPH Announced | Android Community


Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CH6WBP3tE
mecha50 is offline  
Last edited by mecha50; June 10th, 2011 at 02:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mecha50 For This Useful Post:
pre (June 12th, 2011)
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #156 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Thanks! ^
When Virgin mobile gets this, the devs at prepaidandroids will be all over it! Great news!
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #157 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha50 View Post
Looks like Motorola picked this phone up and will rebrand it as Motorola TRIUMPH.

Great news for us Magnum HD / Huawei X6 users because development for the unit should be faster and broader now like custom roms tweaks and official firmware upgrades! Imagine a magnum hd running motoblur......
Not the Huawei X6 Mecha.. sure it looks abit like it and has nearlly all the same specs but the casing is different (mmm i like), especially at the bottom. This phone is thicker, not as wide, no radio, no Dolby mobile sound, has Multi-touch input, and is unnecessarily bloated with the evil MotoBlur. It also is boasting speeds of 3.1 Mbps on CDMA? loL Vs 14.4 on UMTS

Not to say Huawei (Foxconn) could of played a part in manufacturing or supplying components for assembly, or MoForola just ripped off the X6! Salamat poh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
I guess there is enough difference between the two versions of the Ascend that the Metro update won't work for Cricket as-is.

Safe travels, and have fun in Asia next week!
Hrmm same phone, i would just follow Metros instructions and flash it, but thats me.

cheers G
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #158 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Looks like an update for the Magnum HD have been released my CM. I'm currently downloading it... hoping for gingerbread update..

Software Update for MAGNUM ~ Cherry Mobile
mecha50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #159 (permalink)
pre
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 40
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
Not the Huawei X6 Mecha.. sure it looks abit like it and has nearlly all the same specs but the casing is different (mmm i like), especially at the bottom. This phone is thicker, not as wide, no radio, no Dolby mobile sound, has Multi-touch input, and is unnecessarily bloated with the evil MotoBlur. It also is boasting speeds of 3.1 Mbps on CDMA? loL Vs 14.4 on UMTS
Motorola does/has not produced a 4.1" display phone, so given the brief development timeline, it's highly likely the X6 was just rebranded over. Height and thickness and weight are identical between the two. Motorola reps have said no Motoblur. Full specs aren't out yet with regards to radio.

I hope Moto kept the top LED indicator, but it does not appear to be the case
pre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #160 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha50 View Post
Looks like an update for the Magnum HD have been released my CM. I'm currently downloading it... hoping for gingerbread update..

Software Update for MAGNUM ~ Cherry Mobile
Tried it... it's still froyo 2.2.2..... sigh......
mecha50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #161 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha50 View Post
Tried it... it's still froyo 2.2.2..... sigh......
?? I just come from Cherry Mobile store, they said it was 2.3 Gingerbread!
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #162 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre View Post
Motorola does/has not produced a 4.1" display phone, so given the brief development timeline, it's highly likely the X6 was just rebranded over. Height and thickness and weight are identical between the two. Motorola reps have said no Motoblur. Full specs aren't out yet with regards to radio.

I hope Moto kept the top LED indicator, but it does not appear to be the case
I dont mean to be pedantic but the sizes are not the same (122 x 66 x 10 mm Huawei) Vs (121.9 x 63.5 x 10.2 mm Motorola). Motorola dont produce phones from "their" factories, they come out of Shenzhen China.

As far as im concerned this phone is not a X6 variant like the 3 models rebranded and identical from the original Huawei Chinese version. The Motorola lookalike clearly has some internal chassis components from the X6 U9000 such as the battery housing and probably the mainboard, cameras, I/O connectors, and CPU/GPU. Radio hardware, screen and casing where sourced elsewhere.

When you put a Mitsubishi Evo engine and a Microtech Ltx8 computer in a Nissan Skyline GTR... That doesnt mean your driving a Mitsubishi Evo
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #163 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): LG Optimus X2 Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a problem with software update, got into bootloader mode, holding power+volume up+volume down, and got to “Download nb0 from SD card” then arrows going in a circle, everything going fine, look like it was updating. Then got memory error message, waited nothing happened, rebooted and all the phone does now is vibrate!!!. Pretty expensive vibrater! Stock phone, sent Cherry Mobile email, any ideas as to what I can do? Is there a factory reset?

Help! Mike
mikefid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #164 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
?? I just come from Cherry Mobile store, they said it was 2.3 Gingerbread!
Probably just a sales pitch..... CM Support in FB even confirmed that 2.3 Gingerbread is not yet release for the Magnum HD.
mecha50 is offline  
Last edited by mecha50; June 14th, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #165 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha50 View Post
Probably just a sales pitch..... CM Support in FB even confirmed that 2.3 Gingerbread is not yet release for the Magnum HD.
damn them to bankruptcy .. i literally ran back to my hotel to install the Rom and then saw your post ...thanks kuya for telling us its only 2.2.2 and saving me the hassle of reinstalling a backup.

@mikefid take your vibrator to cherry mobile service centre.
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #166 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Hey guys, I been lurking on this thread for quite some time now. I found that someone has made custom ROM for this phone, only problem is it was unsigned so recovery can't flash it. I hope you guys can help him.

Link here. I hope you guys could help him develop this further.
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #167 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

The Magnum HD Gingerbread update is now available. As per CM FB Support its version 2.3.4. It was announced just a few hours ago.

Get the update here:
http://www.cherrymobile.com.ph/site/downloads/software-update-for-magnum.html

File size is 161mb
mecha50 is offline  
Last edited by mecha50; June 20th, 2011 at 04:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #168 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I've used that Gingerbread. Games now can use accelerometer (H.A.W.X for example which can't use accelerometer before) and games runs a bit better and slightly more detailed from what I could see.

Bad thing is there are no software could root it yet unless you have ubuntu. Performance wise I could see its slightly slower in menus, doesn't feel as zippy as 2.2.2. It still run on old 2.6.32.9 kernel not the newer 2.6.35.7 kernel. I wonder why
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #169 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Steps on updating to 2.3:

1) delete old firmware.nb0 file (froyo 2.2.2 update) from SD card.

2) copy FB0-318B-0-5019-A01.nb0 to SD card root and rename it to firmware.nb0.

3) enter bootloader: while phone is off, press and hold volume up + volume down + power buttons together until android logo shows up

3) tap the home soft key

4) scroll down using the volume down button to Download nb0 from SD card

5) tap the back soft key.

6) wait until phone reboots on its own
mecha50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:07 AM   #170 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nX3NTY View Post
Bad thing is there are no software could root it yet unless you have ubuntu.
2.3.4 Awesum but NEED SUPER USER ACCESS!! what about Gingerbreak? how far away are the other guys away from releasing the nice custom rom 2.2.3? the link to forum you put is down?
beatsworkn is offline  
Last edited by beatsworkn; June 21st, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:00 AM   #171 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
2.3.4 Awesum but NEED SUPER USER ACCESS!! what about Gingerbreak? how far away are the other guys away from releasing the custom rom for the WellcoM A99? the link to forum you put is down?
There is custom ROM for 2.2.3 if you wanted, but it won't work with stock recovery. That site is up and down, yesterday it did the same thing too, its up few hours ago but its down again it seems. Weird. He say maybe a couple more days for custom 2.3.4 so we have just have to wait. He says no overclock ATM because its a bit hard, maybe we will see new kernel and root first I really wanted to help him but I have zero knowledge about Linux and Android so...
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM   #172 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: southwest ohio
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HUAWEI-U9000
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Cinbell promotion for Dayton users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
The funny thing about the Ascend, it was released on 2 carriers (Cricket and Metro PCS) and last week they released the Froyo update for Metro, but not Cricket. I guess Cricket wasn't willing to cough up the $$ for an update. (I'm in Dayton, btw). I'll do some research on the unlocked/sim card question over the weekend. CinBell has a prepaid unlimited smartphone plan for $60 that would be a great deal if I can get reliable service.

I like those dock icons!

P.S. we had a thread about the Huawei vs US govt situation going for a while in the politics and current affairs section. Jazziette had a bug up her butt that the US was discriminating against Huawei. She disappeared from the forums a couple months ago and the thread went cold. I saw a while back that Huawei and Motorola settled the lawsuits they had against each other, so maybe they can focus on other things now. They still won't release the source code for the 2.2 kernal for the Ascend so the devs can play with it.
My wife and I have had 2 of these in the Dayton area for almost 2 weeks now. First droid based phones for us and we upgraded from blackberrys. Mine was an 8900 and hers an 8320(?). 4G is indeed not available yet in Dayton but 3G is even though spotty which is still better than EDGE (best we could get with bb) signal. We were told that 4G is fully available from Mason south but have not traveled that far south since getting them

We got them as existing customers whose contract was almost up and took advantage of their contract price of getting the first one at $150 and the second one at $50 which is $100 and free after the 2 $50 rebates kick in. Non-contract price is $250...

I am willing to answer any questions as a reasonably satisfied CBW customer running droids for all of a week and a half
geek4linux is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geek4linux For This Useful Post:
Gmash (June 21st, 2011)
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:02 AM   #173 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek4linux View Post
My wife and I have had 2 of these in the Dayton area for almost 2 weeks now. First droid based phones for us and we upgraded from blackberrys. Mine was an 8900 and hers an 8320(?). 4G is indeed not available yet in Dayton but 3G is even though spotty which is still better than EDGE (best we could get with bb) signal. We were told that 4G is fully available from Mason south but have not traveled that far south since getting them

We got them as existing customers whose contract was almost up and took advantage of their contract price of getting the first one at $150 and the second one at $50 which is $100 and free after the 2 $50 rebates kick in. Non-contract price is $250...

I am willing to answer any questions as a reasonably satisfied CBW customer running droids for all of a week and a half
Hello, and welcome to the forums! Nice to see another Daytonian on here! You say the 3g is spotty. How bad is it? I am currently using Cricket, and I have 3g everywhere. Where I work in Kettering my phone has full bars on both 3g and 1x. It even works on the elevator. I've never had GSM but I'm assuming EDGE is similar to 1x. Any feedback is appreciated, like what parts of town/suburbs do you get a good/weak signal? I really like the Ascend x, but I don't want to have a big downgrade in my service..
One more thing, if its not too much trouble, could you get the speed test.net app (free in the android market) and post what kind of 3g speeds you are getting? Thanks!
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM   #174 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: southwest ohio
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HUAWEI-U9000
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forums! Nice to see another Daytonian on here! You say the 3g is spotty. How bad is it? I am currently using Cricket, and I have 3g everywhere. Where I work in Kettering my phone has full bars on both 3g and 1x. It even works on the elevator. I've never had GSM but I'm assuming EDGE is similar to 1x. Any feedback is appreciated, like what parts of town/suburbs do you get a good/weak signal? I really like the Ascend x, but I don't want to have a big downgrade in my service..
One more thing, if its not too much trouble, could you get the speed test.net app (free in the android market) and post what kind of 3g speeds you are getting? Thanks!
Let's just say that I work at a large facility that is somewhat known not to have great signal strength in their buildings.

My reading on EDGE vs 3G is that even though they are slightly different technologies EDGE is the older of the 2 which I gather is better than GSM. What I mean by spotty is that the phone will go from no bars to 4 bars or the reverse when I switch towers, etc. Also, it switches between EDGE and 3G more than I would have guessed.

The question I have not asked because I am dealing with salesfolk is when they build up 4G in the Dayton market how many additional towers are they planning on rolling out. Of course whomever I ask will be giving me (at best) a guess.

I already have speedtest.net installed and have run a couple of tests. I need to run it in several areas around town to get a better idea where 3G is available vs EDGE. One of the 2 tests was using wifi so I need to set it up to use only phone networks. I will be at Fraze tonight for Steve Miller Band concert so will try and get some tests in while wandering around Kettering!
geek4linux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #175 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek4linux View Post
Let's just say that I work at a large facility that is somewhat known not to have great signal strength in their buildings.

My reading on EDGE vs 3G is that even though they are slightly different technologies EDGE is the older of the 2 which I gather is better than GSM. What I mean by spotty is that the phone will go from no bars to 4 bars or the reverse when I switch towers, etc. Also, it switches between EDGE and 3G more than I would have guessed.

The question I have not asked because I am dealing with salesfolk is when they build up 4G in the Dayton market how many additional towers are they planning on rolling out. Of course whomever I ask will be giving me (at best) a guess.

I already have speedtest.net installed and have run a couple of tests. I need to run it in several areas around town to get a better idea where 3G is available vs EDGE. One of the 2 tests was using wifi so I need to set it up to use only phone networks. I will be at Fraze tonight for Steve Miller Band concert so will try and get some tests in while wandering around Kettering!
Have fun at the concert! I wish I could go but stuck at work tonight. I'm not really worried about the 4g, I just don't want to be stuck on edge all the time. I've heard CinBell's 3g is one of the fastest around if you get a reliable signal. Thanks for the response.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #176 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default CinBell Speedtest results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
One more thing, if its not too much trouble, could you get the speed test.net app (free in the android market) and post what kind of 3g speeds you are getting? Thanks!
Hello,

I am a total newb with Android, having owned this phone for about 10 days now. At work, along the I-75 corridor just south of I-275, I've run the speedtest twice, getting the H icon and results of:

Download Upload
1537kbps 935kbps
1291kbps 1151kbps

Signal varies, 2 or 3 bars. I typically only use wifi at home, but I will run the test there also, it may be 3G, possibly not even that. I'll post the result if someone would like to see them.
yock1960 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yock1960 For This Useful Post:
Gmash (June 24th, 2011)
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #177 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: southwest ohio
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HUAWEI-U9000
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Have fun at the concert! I wish I could go but stuck at work tonight. I'm not really worried about the 4g, I just don't want to be stuck on edge all the time. I've heard CinBell's 3g is one of the fastest around if you get a reliable signal. Thanks for the response.
The concert was great!

OK, so back to "real" life... I went to a CBW store before the concert and was running speedtest throughout the night. The sales person I spoke to said EDGE is actually 2G, 3G is obvious and he said H was "high speed" AKA 4G and I would not see H until 4G was deployed in the Dayton area sometime by the end of the calendar year.

It is kind of sad that salespeople are not better educated with products they sell as my tests proved him wrong on a couple of points. I do not recall having a 3G signal at all but I cycled through NO signal to run speedtest on and EDGE or H. I am not sure where I need to go to get a reliable 3G signal in Dayton but was not there in the last 24 hours.

So, unless I was picking up some other carriers 4G the H does not indicate 4G (Also the phone does display 3G even though the user guide says it just displays G)

I have and will continue to collect data in my travels around Dayton and may even take a trip to the South so I can see how the phone performs in "ideal" conditions.

Now I am looking for an app (droid or otherwise) that will take my data and plot it on a map. Any ideas?
geek4linux is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geek4linux For This Useful Post:
Gmash (June 25th, 2011)
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #178 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek4linux View Post
The sales person I spoke to said EDGE is actually 2G, 3G is obvious and he said H was "high speed" AKA 4G and I would not see H until 4G was deployed in the Dayton area sometime by the end of the calendar year.
H icon on your phone refers to HSDPA speeds which transmits through UMTS frequencies ie 850Mhz C-Bells Network. Unless you have set up your APN in the Mobile Network Settings in your phone for your carrier, you will not see a data icon.
4G has nothing to do with C-Bell Ascend X.. it is not capable, it runs on UMTS ~ the Motorola Triumph is also not 4G capable as it is being released on Virgins Prepaid (Sprint) CDMA EV-Do network.


Quote:
Originally Posted by geek4linux View Post
It is kind of sad that salespeople are not better educated with products they sell as my tests proved him wrong on a couple of points.
Fail yes dont listen to them! seek advise here before spending your cash


Quote:
Originally Posted by geek4linux View Post
I do not recall having a 3G signal at all but I cycled through NO signal to run speedtest on and EDGE or H. I am not sure where I need to go to get a reliable 3G signal in Dayton but was not there in the last 24 hours.
See above about setting up your APN then you will be on 3G
beatsworkn is offline  
Last edited by beatsworkn; June 26th, 2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: forgot if on virgin prepaid then no 4G WiMAX
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beatsworkn For This Useful Post:
Gmash (June 25th, 2011)
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #179 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

^^^
@beatsworkn
Around here they are marketing HSPA+ as 4g, even though it's more like 3.5g or enhanced 3g.

I haven't seen anything about 4g on the Triumph, which I guess would be WI-MAX since Virgin runs on Sprints network here. They did announce it will be out July 19 for $300. If it's 4g they're not promoting it.

@geek4linux
glad you enjoyed the concert! Thanks for all your research. So what kinds of speeds are you getting? On Cricket 3g I average around 1.6mbps down and 0.8mbps up. Fastest is about 2 down 1 up. (beatsworkn, maybe now you can see why they can get away with calling HSPA+ 4g lol. Those are actually considered decent speeds around here lol)
Gmash is offline  
Last edited by Gmash; June 29th, 2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: HSPA+ not HSDPA+...duh
Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #180 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Spica Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Looks like we have another re-incarnation of our beloved phone... this time from Sharp.



Details:
Sharp SH8188U is run-of-the-mill 1GHz Android, awaits (possible stateside) introduction -- Engadget Mobile
mecha50 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mecha50 For This Useful Post:
beatsworkn (June 26th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #181 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yock1960 View Post
Hello,

I am a total newb with Android, having owned this phone for about 10 days now. At work, along the I-75 corridor just south of I-275, I've run the speedtest twice, getting the H icon and results of:

Signal varies, 2 or 3 bars. I typically only use wifi at home, but I will run the test there also, it may be 3G, possibly not even that. I'll post the result if someone would like to see them.
Hi welcome great to see someone from the US with a X6 on here, perhaps you could take a couple of snapshots of the "about phone" at the bottom listed in the settings? same as the ones i took in post #137 , you can use the Huawei HiSuite software on your PC to do this.. you will find it here > Software - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Is your phone locked to C-Bell, are you able to insert another sim (if u have access to one) that uses the same frequency ie AT&T, Rogers, Telus etc and get a H signal?

Do you have plans to flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 Gingerbread update?

cheers
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #182 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
Hi welcome great to see someone from the US with a X6 on here, perhaps you could take a couple of snapshots of the "about phone" at the bottom listed in the settings? same as the ones i took in post #137 , you can use the Huawei HiSuite software on your PC to do this.. you will find it here > Software - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Is your phone locked to C-Bell, are you able to insert another sim (if u have access to one) that uses the same frequency ie AT&T, Rogers, Telus etc and get a H signal?

Do you have plans to flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 Gingerbread update?

cheers
Here are a couple of the screens. I would imagine it's locked and off the top of my head, I'm not sure who I know that uses AT&T.

I'm not ready to do an update. It's all too new and I'm happy for the time being! Still just trying to get everything set the way I want and replicate the software I used on my Palm Tungsten T3! It served me well....but it was time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huawei.jpg (36.9 KB, 10 views)
yock1960 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yock1960 For This Useful Post:
beatsworkn (June 27th, 2011)
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #183 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yock1960 View Post
Here are a couple of the screens. I would imagine it's locked and off the top of my head, I'm not sure who I know that uses AT&T.
Hey thanks for taking the time to do this, it showed me you have the best of all the versions of the X6, the original Huawei Chinese version.

Im sure its unlocked and if you are struggling for 3G reception maybe try AT&T, the SIM cards for the DataConnect passes are free. The shop just sells you the SIM card and you have to go online to the "buyasession" link and create an account. The pass is then paid with a credit card. During registration the IMEI of a device has to be entered. However, this is not checked when later using the SIM, i.e. it can be used in more than one device. Highest plan is (1 GB) - $50 valid 30days.
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beatsworkn For This Useful Post:
Gmash (June 28th, 2011)
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #184 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
Hey thanks for taking the time to do this, it showed me you have the best of all the versions of the X6, the original Huawei Chinese version.

Im sure its unlocked and if you are struggling for 3G reception maybe try AT&T, the SIM cards for the DataConnect passes are free. The shop just sells you the SIM card and you have to go online to the "buyasession" link and create an account. The pass is then paid with a credit card. During registration the IMEI of a device has to be entered. However, this is not checked when later using the SIM, i.e. it can be used in more than one device. Highest plan is (1 GB) - $50 valid 30days.
I've been reading up on this, and if I'm understanding correctly, this phone won't work on AT&Ts data network. According to the CinBell website, the Ascend x is quad band 850/900/1800/1900mhz for voice/EDGE, HSPA+1700/2100 for 3G data.

AT&T uses GSM 850/1900mhz bands for voice/EDGE, so OK there, but also uses 850/1900 for 3G data, which isn't compatible with the Ascend x.(1700/2100 for 3g) So you can only get EDGE data using the Ascend x on AT&T.

However, T-Mobile uses 1900 for EDGE/voice and 1700/2100 (both required) for 3g data, so it should work. This makes sense, since I believe CinBell uses T-Mo for roaming, and I have heard of people using CB phones on T-Mo before.

The good news is T-Mobile has a pre paid plan with unlimited talk and text, and unlimited data (throttled after 2gb) for $70/month. This is a very good option for those who buy the phone off contract. (if it is in fact unlocked) Also, according to the coverage map, T-Mobile has great data coverage here in the Dayton area! Anybody having trouble with Cincinnati Bell 3g should check this out.
If I've gotten any of this wrong, or am just misunderstanding it, (very possible), please let me know.
Gmash is offline  
Last edited by Gmash; June 28th, 2011 at 05:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #185 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha50 View Post
Looks like we have another re-incarnation of our beloved phone... this time from Sharp.



Details:
Sharp SH8188U is run-of-the-mill 1GHz Android, awaits (possible stateside) introduction -- Engadget Mobile
How did they make it look so cheap? Lol It looks like a cut-rate Motorola Triumph.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #186 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
According to the CinBell website, the Ascend x is quad band 850/900/1800/1900mhz for voice/EDGE, HSPA+1700/2100 for 3G data.
According to CinBell website it doesnt list a front camera, but it does. According to CinBell website it doesnt list UMTS 850Mhz, but it should.

That is where im going with this, the UMTS 850Mhz band. You have the chinese version which ive been told also has UMTS 850Mhz same as the Thailand version, for Foxconn to make another radio chip without 850Mhz spectrum just for a small operator like CinBell just doesnt add up?.

Have a read of this > Cincinnati Bell Wireless CBW Android Phone List
then look at this > Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 Android 2.2 Smartphone | International Classifieds

i may be wrong, maybe they left out the spectrum support? dats why im asking someone to get hold of another carriers prepay sim, turn on data and solve the riddle!...

anywayz if anyone got FiOptic, ADSL2+, or cable at home and has a Ascend X how fast is the phones 802.11n wireless download speed?
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #187 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
According to CinBell website it doesnt list a front camera, but it does. According to CinBell website it doesnt list UMTS 850Mhz, but it should.

That is where im going with this, the UMTS 850Mhz band. You have the chinese version which ive been told also has UMTS 850Mhz same as the Thailand version, for Foxconn to make another radio chip without 850Mhz spectrum just for a small operator like CinBell just doesnt add up?.

Have a read of this > Cincinnati Bell Wireless CBW Android Phone List
then look at this > Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 Android 2.2 Smartphone | International Classifieds

i may be wrong, maybe they left out the spectrum support? dats why im asking someone to get hold of another carriers prepay sim, turn on data and solve the riddle!...

anywayz if anyone got FiOptic, ADSL2+, or cable at home and has a Ascend X how fast is the phones 802.11n wireless download speed?
Thats why I said "according to the CinBell website". I realise these things are not always accurate. What you say makes a lot of sense. I don't see why they would go to the trouble to remove one spectrum band either. However, I did look at one other site- PDAdb.net- (sorry I can't post a link from my phone)- and it also only lists UMTS 1700 &UMTS 2100. For all I know they just got their info from the CinBell website as well though lol.

Anyway, I talked to a couple of cell phone stores and they both said the phone was locked to Cincinnati Bell. Yesterday I called a local store that sells various carriers and flashes/unlocks phones etc. He said it was currently locked to CB. When I asked about unlocking, he said it would cost about $30, but if I was interested in unlocked phones he could recommend a lot nicer phones than a Huawei. Thats when I let him go. Why are people so prejudiced against Huawei? lol

So today I called the "official" Cincinnati Bell store and talked to a girl there. She also said the phone was locked. They also didn't have any in stock. WTF? Why would they not have their flagship phone in stock?

I did some reading about unlocking phones, and it doesn't seem like theres much to it, just putting in a code. There are websites that will give you the codes for a lot less than $30. I've never had a GSM phone, so that is all new to me.

Anyway, figured I'd give you the latest.
Have a good one.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gmash For This Useful Post:
beatsworkn (June 30th, 2011)
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #188 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

thanks bro for taking the time to confirm the locked status for everyone, im sure it will help others wondering the same thing, also if they want to pay the extra $30. Hell i would. Unlocking here in Australia can cost up to AUD$150 so i think thats cheap with our dollar being stronger than yours

CinBell having no stock is absurd! wtf ? anywayz i dont know much about unlocking phones only HSDPA USB modems which is done with S**A software, if u use the wrong software and use up your 10 unlock chances... its F##KD, maybe the same with phones so be careful.

peace
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #189 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

WellCom has released its Gingerbread ROM, direct download here
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:05 AM   #190 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): LG P999 running CM7 @1.55GHz
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre View Post
Motorola does/has not produced a 4.1" display phone, so given the brief development timeline, it's highly likely the X6 was just rebranded over. Height and thickness and weight are identical between the two. Motorola reps have said no Motoblur. Full specs aren't out yet with regards to radio.

I hope Moto kept the top LED indicator, but it does not appear to be the case
HI




Bad News, the Triumph may be a rebadged low quality Huawei
squallz506 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:47 AM   #191 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nX3NTY View Post
WellCom has released its Gingerbread ROM, direct download here
Now that WellcoM has released its 2.3.x are we able to flash this version if we hav already flashed a Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 ? hopefully can be done without bricking your phone like those who tried to go back to 2.2.2 after installing GB only to find out it wont boot!

Has anyone put the WellcoM GB over the Cherry GB? Also wat version is the WellcoM GB? the nb0 is the same size maybe WellcoM just changed the boot animation, hopefully they have a new animation the old one sucked.

off topicish i hear people with CinBell Ascend X cant flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 GB update anyway something about PID error.
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:07 AM   #192 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
Now that WellcoM has released its 2.3.x are we able to flash this version if we hav already flashed a Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 ? hopefully can be done without bricking your phone like those who tried to go back to 2.2.2 after installing GB only to find out it wont boot!

Has anyone put the WellcoM GB over the Cherry GB? Also wat version is the WellcoM GB? the nb0 is the same size maybe WellcoM just changed the boot animation, hopefully they have a new animation the old one sucked.

off topicish i hear people with CinBell Ascend X cant flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 GB update anyway something about PID error.
Do you guys have a stock recovery? If so I would just flash back to stock first to be on the safe side. One good thing about the Ascend is you can do just about anything to it and still bring it back to life. I've never seen one permanently bricked. Maybe CinBell will release their update for the X soon. I saw an article on Engadget that they are doing an "unofficial" official update for the Motorola phone they have and they're teaching people how to root their phones to get it. Weird. Anyway, good luck and happy flashing.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:35 AM   #193 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
Now that WellcoM has released its 2.3.x are we able to flash this version if we hav already flashed a Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 ? hopefully can be done without bricking your phone like those who tried to go back to 2.2.2 after installing GB only to find out it wont boot!

Has anyone put the WellcoM GB over the Cherry GB? Also wat version is the WellcoM GB? the nb0 is the same size maybe WellcoM just changed the boot animation, hopefully they have a new animation the old one sucked.
No it won't brick your phone. I have flashed to 2.2.2 from CSL, WellCom and Cherry Mobile and also 2.3.4 from CSL, Cherry Mobile and WellCom. And I don't go back to Froyo either when changing between Gingerbread version, and having no problem changing to Froyo after using Gingerbread.

It can't be flashed via recovery, so put it in download mode (phone off and press volume up + power) and connect to PC and use SUT to flash new ROM. I always erase user profile and start anew before flashing new ROM. I use the SUT L3 that comes with WellCom 2.2.2 ROM, but I guess all SUT might work.

WellCom have newer 18E build compared to 18B on Cherry Mobile, apart from that its basically the same (kernel, sadly still the same), but it still uses old Froyo keyboard unlike Cherry Mobile Gingerbread keyboard. Boot animation still the same, the Welcome screen and that annoying sound.

After using it for couple of hours, I change back to Cherry Mobile ROM. I don't know but I liked Cherry Mobile more
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nX3NTY For This Useful Post:
Gmash (July 3rd, 2011)
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #194 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Hrmm so thats why they couldnt flash back to froyo.. you can only use SUT.

Today even before i read your post above my CM 2.3.4 was playing up real bad so i erase data/clear cache reboot and ran SUT1.7 that came with WellcoM 2.3.4 and installed thier GB. Rebooted all OK and yes no GB keyboard.

Found this today > MI410 - Gingerbread_beta_FB0-318B-0-5012-A01.7z supposed to a leaked Spice CSL Beta GB. Is that the same FB0 318B 0 5012 A01 as the Rom you have for your CSL nX3NTY?

btw WellcoM have custom cases for the their Huawei X6 > Official Case ?????? WellcoM A99 ????????????????? 49 ??????????? | krapalm.com | ???????? ??????

or try these > http://www.droidprotect.com/en/8-wellcom

and here is someone i found with the same case as mine Post #16> ??????? A99 ????????,Case ??? ?????????????? ???????????????????????????//??????????? Car Holder | DroidSans :
beatsworkn is offline  
Last edited by beatsworkn; July 5th, 2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: omg moRe linky's
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #195 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Nope the Gingerbread that I try is the final version 18D. There's a wealth of ROM you can download here including SUT.

I get it from Indonesian forum, kaskus, they have huge Foxconn FB400 community there, and the Beta ROM you linked is got from one guy there that have a friend that work inside CSL. The link to the thread is here. Its hard to understand them sometimes, even for me who just neighboring country to them
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nX3NTY For This Useful Post:
beatsworkn (July 5th, 2011)
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #196 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

What is SUT? sorry for the noob question, but the Ascend is my first smartphone, and the only way we have to flash ROMs is through ClockworkMod recovery.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #197 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
What is SUT? sorry for the noob question, but the Ascend is my first smartphone, and the only way we have to flash ROMs is through ClockworkMod recovery.
Software Update Tool. Sometime it give error like I did changing between ROMs, so put in download mode (phone off, press volume up + power button) when it display download mode connect to PC and run update through SUT. You don't need to rename the nb0 with SUT.
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nX3NTY For This Useful Post:
Gmash (July 5th, 2011)
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #198 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,718
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,261
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworkn View Post
Hrmm so thats why they couldnt flash back to froyo.. you can only use SUT.

Today even before i read your post above my CM 2.3.4 was playing up real bad so i erase data/clear cache reboot and ran SUT1.7 that came with WellcoM 2.3.4 and installed thier GB. Rebooted all OK and yes no GB keyboard.

Found this today > MI410 - Gingerbread_beta_FB0-318B-0-5012-A01.7z supposed to a leaked Spice CSL Beta GB. Is that the same FB0 318B 0 5012 A01 as the Rom you have for your CSL nX3NTY?

btw WellcoM have custom cases for the their Huawei X6 > Official Case ?????? WellcoM A99 ????????????????? 49 ??????????? | krapalm.com | ???????? ??????

or try these > WELLCOM - DroidProtect.Com

and here is someone i found with the same case as mine Post #16> ??????? A99 ????????,Case ??? ?????????????? ???????????????????????????//??????????? Car Holder | DroidSans :
Wait till the Motorola Triumph comes out July 19, there will be a lot more accessories that work with these phones available.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #199 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
beatsworkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia + Manila
Posts: 84
 
Device(s): CherryMobile Magnum HD 900Mhz UMTS + WellcoM A99 850Mhz UMTS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Guys how far away is our Villain Rom ? anyone know
beatsworkn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #200 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): CSL Mi 410
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

He says there's no ETA yet, been fixing some issues with it. He broke the back and search key. This is currently what I heard will be incorporated in his ROM:

+Based on Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 (the lightest of the three he said)
+Root (out of the box of course)
+De-Odexed
+CRT effect
+Custom boot screen

And also he say he will made a tutorial on how we can make our own ROM as well. Its been 2 days now since he last post though, wondering what's the progress.
nX3NTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nX3NTY For This Useful Post:
beatsworkn (July 8th, 2011)
Reply

Huawei IDEOS X6
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Huawei IDEOS X6 is one of two newly announced Android devices from Huawei. It is the higher end of the two devices sporting a 4.1 inch capacitive touchscreen, 1Ghz processor, and Android 2.2. We've seen this thing spotted at T-Mobile before... Read More

Tags
huawei x6


Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > Huawei IDEOS X6 (U9000)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.