Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Acer Iconia Tab A100 > Iconia Tab A100 - All Things Root

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 47
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, Acer Iconia A100 7" Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Mad Rooting The A100

************************************************** ********************************
**** Do this as your own risk, you could potential damage your device beyond repair. If.....****
**** the risk bothers you then don't move forward and do NOT attempt to root your device.****
**** ..............I am not responsible for you turning your A100 into a paper weight.............****
************************************************** ********************************

OK, just to get things going in this section, I want to offer my help with those trying to get there A100 devices rooted.

Due to the VERY limited info on the A100's and my lack of knowledge on this device, it took me like 3 days to finally get root.

There are 3 or 4 guides out there in other forums, all using essentially the same method with slightly modified instructions.

I went through all these guides and it seemed I just kept missing something, somewhere because I just couldn't get the darn thing rooted.

Finally, I came across this method which was just another variation of the same but there were some changes/modifications to the instructions that were helpful and finally got me rooted.

As with each set of instructions I found, even this one had some things I would change a bit now that I understand how to do it. Hopefully, I will find some time to re-write some of this to make it a little simpler. I hope to make the instructions more detailed and easier to get through for those that don't have as much experience doing this sort of thing.

Good Luck!

############################################
There is no automated way to root the A100 that I am aware of at the time of this post. So, this is a manual method to get the A100 rooted. There are two programs out there, one called Gingerbreak and one called IconiaRoot, neither work on the A100 at this time.

You will need a copy of the binary version of SuperUser, not the APK. This file is attached for your convenience.

Step 1: Make sure you a file manager installed that will allow you to copy/move and unzip files. You can get various apps from the market to accomplish this I used ES File Explorer which is free from the Android Market.

Step 2: If you don't have a terminal program on your A100, you will need one. This will allow you to run the commands below. I used Android Terminal Emulator from the Market. It works pretty good, except I can't seem to figure out how to exit the program when done.

Step 3: Download the su.zip file to your A100. I can't remember where your browser will drop it but you will need to find it unzip it and copy just the "su" file to the root of the INTERNAL SD (mnt/sdcard, not external SD). This step is where ES File Explorer or a similar program comes in handy.

Step 4: On your A100, open Android Terminal Emulator or your terminal program of choice and copy/paste the following commands. You will not receive any feedback after hitting enter, just another blank line with a $ sign. That's normal..

Command Line 1: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

Command Line 2: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

Command Line 3: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Step 5: Jump for joy, you should now be rooted. Move on to step 6 to make your rooting accomplishment worth while and to test it.

Step 6: Install BusyBox from the Market

Step 7: Install SuperUser from the market, this is the APK version this time. This is going to update the SU file and install the SuperUser app.

Step 8: Reboot, not sure that this is needed but I think it's a good idea. If you have problems with step 9 then I would reboot for sure then retry step 9.

Step 9: Install Titanium Backup from the market, when you run it, the app will error out if you are not rooted. If Titanium tells you that it can't gain root access then something went wrong, please follow the steps again carefully, then post here if you have no success. One thing to look out for is that you don't have any spaces before or after the commands when you are copying/pasting them into the terminal app.


Credit goes to several folks @ XDA, particularly: abliss, brendan802 and guags99 and alphawave7 @ AcerTabletForum
################################################## ##
Attached Files
File Type: zip su.zip (6.5 KB, 885 views)

Advertisements
fonewiz is offline  
Last edited by fonewiz; August 24th, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fonewiz For This Useful Post:
Bilbus Maximus (July 13th, 2012), d0b3rmann (October 28th, 2013), das7771 (September 13th, 2011), dmtchico (September 5th, 2011), gtaber (November 20th, 2011), JDGAFFLIN (October 8th, 2011), Lennatron (August 24th, 2011), Mizagorn (February 24th, 2013), xmancool (December 29th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
das7771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hurricane alley
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Gave the incredible to my wife and now lovin my DX. Rooted with stock 2.1 w/some slight mods
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonewiz View Post
************************************************** ********************************
**** Do this as your own risk, you could potential damage your device beyond repair. If.....****
**** the risk bothers you then don't move forward and do NOT attempt to root your device.****
**** ..............I am not responsible for you turning your A100 into a paper weight.............****
************************************************** ********************************

OK, just to get things going in this section, I want to offer my help with those trying to get there A100 devices rooted.

Due to the VERY limited info on the A100's and my lack of knowledge on this device, it took me like 3 days to finally get root.

There are 3 or 4 guides out there in other forums, all using essentially the same method with slightly modified instructions.

I went through all these guides and it seemed I just kept missing something, somewhere because I just couldn't get the darn thing rooted.

Finally, I came across this method which was just another variation of the same but there were some changes/modifications to the instructions that were helpful and finally got me rooted.

As with each set of instructions I found, even this one had some things I would change a bit now that I understand how to do it. Hopefully, I will find some time to re-write some of this to make it a little simpler. I hope to make the instructions more detailed and easier to get through for those that don't have as much experience doing this sort of thing.

Good Luck!

############################################
There is no automated way to root the A100 that I am aware of at the time of this post. So, this is a manual method to get the A100 rooted. There are two programs out there, one called Gingerbreak and one called IconiaRoot, neither work on the A100 at this time.

You will need a copy of the binary version of SuperUser, not the APK. This file is attached for your convenience.

Step 1: Make sure you a file manager installed that will allow you to copy/move and unzip files. You can get various apps from the market to accomplish this I used ES File Explorer which is free from the Android Market.

Step 2: If you don't have a terminal program on your A100, you will need one. This will allow you to run the commands below. I used Android Terminal Emulator from the Market. It works pretty good, except I can't seem to figure out how to exit the program when done.

Step 3: Download the su.zip file to your A100. I can't remember where your browser will drop it but you will need to find it unzip it and copy just the "su" file to the root of the INTERNAL SD (mnt/sdcard, not external SD). This step is where ES File Explorer or a similar program comes in handy.

Step 4: On your A100, open Android Terminal Emulator or your terminal program of choice and copy/paste the following commands. You will not receive any feedback after hitting enter, just another blank line with a $ sign. That's normal..

Command Line 1: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

Command Line 2: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

Command Line 3: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Step 5: Jump for joy, you should now be rooted. Move on to step 6 to make your rooting accomplishment worth while and to test it.

Step 6: Install BusyBox from the Market

Step 7: Install SuperUser from the market, this is the APK version this time. This is going to update the SU file and install the SuperUser app.

Step 8: Reboot, not sure that this is needed but I think it's a good idea. If you have problems with step 9 then I would reboot for sure then retry step 9.

Step 9: Install Titanium Backup from the market, when you run it, the app will error out if you are not rooted. If Titanium tells you that it can't gain root access then something went wrong, please follow the steps again carefully, then post here if you have no success. One thing to look out for is that you don't have any spaces before or after the commands when you are copying/pasting them into the terminal app.


Credit goes to several folks @ XDA, particularly: abliss, brendan802 and guags99 and alphawave7 @ AcerTabletForum
################################################## ##
Thanks for this guide i easily rooted my a100 thanks to this. One problem I ran into though is I could not get superuser permissions until I enable debugging mode and then did the process again. You might want to consider adding that as I think it's required.
das7771 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to das7771 For This Useful Post:
apollothethird (February 21st, 2012), Bilbus Maximus (July 13th, 2012), docfreed (November 3rd, 2011), mrpnut (December 8th, 2011), tomtom1437 (October 28th, 2011)
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G, Acer Iconia A100 Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks! Worked like a charm.
JDGAFFLIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have been trying to correct this issue for over a week to no avail. Please advise.

I've tried rooting my A100 by inputting the proper commands on the a100 itself in a terminal emulator, but have had no success. The
commands cause no obvious response when entered into the terminal, but when I checked xbin for su, it's there. I've installed the superuser apk, but
busybox installation fails due to lack of root. Repeating the process doesn't change anything.

I've also tried rooting via the ADB method. The results are the same. su is in xbin folder; however, I cannot install busybox because I am not rooted.

Every time I execute the aforementioned commands, the su file in my xbin folder gets modified. The size of the su file in my xbin folder is 0.00K, is
this normal?

The last bit of info I can provide about my situation is this. I have root checker installed on my A100. I do not get the same result each time I click "verify root". Sometimes it tells me that I'm rooted and sometimes it tells me that I'm not rooted????

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. I need some help please.
Daniel0318 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

disregard
Daniel0318 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
gtaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): samsung SPH-D710VMUB, B&N Nook Tablet, Motorola Triumph, Samsung Captivate, Toshiba Thrive, MK8
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonewiz View Post
************************************************** ********************************
**** Do this as your own risk, you could potential damage your device beyond repair. If.....****
**** the risk bothers you then don't move forward and do NOT attempt to root your device.****
**** ..............I am not responsible for you turning your A100 into a paper weight.............****
************************************************** ********************************

OK, just to get things going in this section, I want to offer my help with those trying to get there A100 devices rooted.

Due to the VERY limited info on the A100's and my lack of knowledge on this device, it took me like 3 days to finally get root.

There are 3 or 4 guides out there in other forums, all using essentially the same method with slightly modified instructions.

I went through all these guides and it seemed I just kept missing something, somewhere because I just couldn't get the darn thing rooted.

Finally, I came across this method which was just another variation of the same but there were some changes/modifications to the instructions that were helpful and finally got me rooted.

As with each set of instructions I found, even this one had some things I would change a bit now that I understand how to do it. Hopefully, I will find some time to re-write some of this to make it a little simpler. I hope to make the instructions more detailed and easier to get through for those that don't have as much experience doing this sort of thing.

Good Luck!

############################################
There is no automated way to root the A100 that I am aware of at the time of this post. So, this is a manual method to get the A100 rooted. There are two programs out there, one called Gingerbreak and one called IconiaRoot, neither work on the A100 at this time.

You will need a copy of the binary version of SuperUser, not the APK. This file is attached for your convenience.

Step 1: Make sure you a file manager installed that will allow you to copy/move and unzip files. You can get various apps from the market to accomplish this I used ES File Explorer which is free from the Android Market.

Step 2: If you don't have a terminal program on your A100, you will need one. This will allow you to run the commands below. I used Android Terminal Emulator from the Market. It works pretty good, except I can't seem to figure out how to exit the program when done.

Step 3: Download the su.zip file to your A100. I can't remember where your browser will drop it but you will need to find it unzip it and copy just the "su" file to the root of the INTERNAL SD (mnt/sdcard, not external SD). This step is where ES File Explorer or a similar program comes in handy.

Step 4: On your A100, open Android Terminal Emulator or your terminal program of choice and copy/paste the following commands. You will not receive any feedback after hitting enter, just another blank line with a $ sign. That's normal..

Command Line 1: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

Command Line 2: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

Command Line 3: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Step 5: Jump for joy, you should now be rooted. Move on to step 6 to make your rooting accomplishment worth while and to test it.

Step 6: Install BusyBox from the Market

Step 7: Install SuperUser from the market, this is the APK version this time. This is going to update the SU file and install the SuperUser app.

Step 8: Reboot, not sure that this is needed but I think it's a good idea. If you have problems with step 9 then I would reboot for sure then retry step 9.

Step 9: Install Titanium Backup from the market, when you run it, the app will error out if you are not rooted. If Titanium tells you that it can't gain root access then something went wrong, please follow the steps again carefully, then post here if you have no success. One thing to look out for is that you don't have any spaces before or after the commands when you are copying/pasting them into the terminal app.


Credit goes to several folks @ XDA, particularly: abliss, brendan802 and guags99 and alphawave7 @ AcerTabletForum
################################################## ##

Hi fellow Iconia A100 owners. I just got mine, to be a little brother to my thrive. The above method worked great for me, with a twist-I did it per the instructions above first, busybox and su.apk installed ok, but jkrim's root checker said NO! And so did root explorer. So, since I don't really trust my old eyes and small text and a virtual keyboard, and I had already checked, and could connect with ADB and knew the drivers worked, I did the exact same thing in ADB shell, but copied and pasted the commands instead of typing them. After that, typed "su" at the ADB shell $ prompt, the superuser app dialog popped up on the tablet(it was already installed in the previous attempt), clicked allow, and the ADB shell $ prompt turned to a # prompt on my PC...YAY...ROOT!
I also had a problem with the quotation marks in the command lines- I guess I'm not familiar enough with linux/unix syntax- what exactly are those? I typed in regular quote marks, but upon examination in notepad, that wasn't what they were-I'm willing to bet that's why my first attempt in the term emu didn't work, and copy and paste into ADB shell did.
Either way though, thanks to everybody who did something to make this available. This is the 7th android device I've rooted, and I can always find what I need on the various forums-and I got to argue that this one was a lot easier than some of the others I've done.
gtaber is offline  
Last edited by gtaber; November 20th, 2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: typo's
Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
vobguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 173
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Epic 4G, Galaxy 7+ P6210, Sony TabletS , Kindle Fire, iPad Mini, iPod Touch, MiFi 4620LE
Carrier: Sprint and Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaber View Post
I also had a problem with the quotation marks in the command lines- I guess I'm not familiar enough with linux/unix syntax- what exactly are those? I typed in regular quote marks, but upon examination in notepad, that wasn't what they were.
I am guessing you are talking about the backticks, which in a shell script basically says to execute that command first and take the output of that command as an argument to the other command. I do it so often I didn't even really notice it in there at first.
vobguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello I need some help here, I followed all isntruccions but when I copy/paste the comand lines and hit enter in the Terminal emulator It gives me the following message: /system/bin: permission denied.

What can I do?

Thanks
LGCB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default newbie....

Ok... I'm a newbie to android, and just can't figure out how to copy and paste the su file to to root. Also, I dont see a /mnt/sdcard.... just /sdcard/folder/file
Rogue65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
vobguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 173
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Epic 4G, Galaxy 7+ P6210, Sony TabletS , Kindle Fire, iPad Mini, iPod Touch, MiFi 4620LE
Carrier: Sprint and Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGCB View Post
Hello I need some help here, I followed all isntruccions but when I copy/paste the comand lines and hit enter in the Terminal emulator It gives me the following message: /system/bin: permission denied.

What can I do?

Thanks
Sounds like you most likely got a space after the word bin or possibly after the / after bin in the directory path.
vobguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
vobguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 173
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Epic 4G, Galaxy 7+ P6210, Sony TabletS , Kindle Fire, iPad Mini, iPod Touch, MiFi 4620LE
Carrier: Sprint and Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue65 View Post
Ok... I'm a newbie to android, and just can't figure out how to copy and paste the su file to to root. Also, I dont see a /mnt/sdcard.... just /sdcard/folder/file
So many possibilities as to your second problem because each file mangler (sic) has it's own quirks in my experience.

So if you are in /sdcard try going up a directory level until you get to / , then under / you should see /mnt

If you can't get to the / partition (called by some file managers "system" I believe, on my phone my file manager calls it "my phone" ) you may need to try a different file manager. It may warn you before you go to that partition because that is where the phone's OS lives.

As to your first problem, that I believe is solved by putting it into the /mnt/sdcard .
vobguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
vobguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 173
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Epic 4G, Galaxy 7+ P6210, Sony TabletS , Kindle Fire, iPad Mini, iPod Touch, MiFi 4620LE
Carrier: Sprint and Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel0318 View Post
I have been trying to correct this issue for over a week to no avail. Please advise.

I've tried rooting my A100 by inputting the proper commands on the a100 itself in a terminal emulator, but have had no success. The
commands cause no obvious response when entered into the terminal, but when I checked xbin for su, it's there. I've installed the superuser apk, but
busybox installation fails due to lack of root. Repeating the process doesn't change anything.

I've also tried rooting via the ADB method. The results are the same. su is in xbin folder; however, I cannot install busybox because I am not rooted.

Every time I execute the aforementioned commands, the su file in my xbin folder gets modified. The size of the su file in my xbin folder is 0.00K, is
this normal?

The last bit of info I can provide about my situation is this. I have root checker installed on my A100. I do not get the same result each time I click "verify root". Sometimes it tells me that I'm rooted and sometimes it tells me that I'm not rooted????

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. I need some help please.
Not sure if your next post is a double tap or you have it figured out, but perhaps there was some problem with the chmod step. That sets it as executable and makes it setuid root.
vobguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Works Great!
But I had to do this to work in my device:
After install the superuser apk from market, open it and make a manual update.
After all works fine!
Thank you!
lsmmello is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Notsure Rooting Problem

I am having problems with your rooting method. The SU file is not present at the /system/xbin/su and cannot make a copy there because it won't let - it has to be rooted first.
silegnav is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
THE WORLD IS YOURS
 
mrpnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CALI
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,523
 
Device(s): LG G Flex /Galaxy note 3 /Galaxy s4/GSM
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,422
Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,064 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mrpnut mrpnut310@gmail.com
Sad

I need help I cant get it to work. is there any way u can make a video on. how u did it I've been trying for thu last 2 hrs help......
mrpnut is online now  
Last edited by mrpnut; December 9th, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
THE WORLD IS YOURS
 
mrpnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CALI
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,523
 
Device(s): LG G Flex /Galaxy note 3 /Galaxy s4/GSM
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,422
Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,064 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mrpnut mrpnut310@gmail.com
Default

i give up for some reason i cant get it, Any one can help me let me noe thx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrpnut is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
THE WORLD IS YOURS
 
mrpnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CALI
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,523
 
Device(s): LG G Flex /Galaxy note 3 /Galaxy s4/GSM
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,422
Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,064 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mrpnut mrpnut310@gmail.com
Blush

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaber View Post
Hi fellow Iconia A100 owners. I just got mine, to be a little brother to my thrive. The above method worked great for me, with a twist-I did it per the instructions above first, busybox and su.apk installed ok, but jkrim's root checker said NO! And so did root explorer. So, since I don't really trust my old eyes and small text and a virtual keyboard, and I had already checked, and could connect with ADB and knew the drivers worked, I did the exact same thing in ADB shell, but copied and pasted the commands instead of typing them. After that, typed "su" at the ADB shell $ prompt, the superuser app dialog popped up on the tablet(it was already installed in the previous attempt), clicked allow, and the ADB shell $ prompt turned to a # prompt on my PC...YAY...ROOT!
I also had a problem with the quotation marks in the command lines- I guess I'm not familiar enough with linux/unix syntax- what exactly are those? I typed in regular quote marks, but upon examination in notepad, that wasn't what they were-I'm willing to bet that's why my first attempt in the term emu didn't work, and copy and paste into ADB shell did.
Either way though, thanks to everybody who did something to make this available. This is the 7th android device I've rooted, and I can always find what I need on the various forums-and I got to argue that this one was a lot easier than some of the others I've done.
ay bro u think u could help me out I can't get done
mrpnut is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
THE WORLD IS YOURS
 
mrpnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CALI
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,523
 
Device(s): LG G Flex /Galaxy note 3 /Galaxy s4/GSM
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,422
Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,064 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mrpnut mrpnut310@gmail.com
Default

I finally got to root my acer iconia a100 now just waiting for a custom rom
mrpnut is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: tokyo, japan
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): sharp galapagos 005sh
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by das7771 View Post
Thanks for this guide i easily rooted my a100 thanks to this. One problem I ran into though is I could not get superuser permissions until I enable debugging mode and then did the process again. You might want to consider adding that as I think it's required.
seconded! it works in debug mode!
japandroiduser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Busy box will not load. Says I'm not rooted. I don't really know where to copy the su file. And do you leave terminal running all the time after I copy all the commands?
garza5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thanks, Fonewiz. It worked like a charm!

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
apollo3.com/~ljames
<removed to prevent spam>
apollothethird is offline  
Last edited by pastafarian; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
splatoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Acer Iconia A500 Root Acer Iconia A100 Stock HTC Incredible one Root HTC Rezond Root
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
Default

I had one question. Im I think I no the answer but I want to check before I do this.
If I root the tablet it will still have the System intact wont it. I just want to root and flash a recovery for backup purposes. And I want the system to remain stock. Im thinking correctly on this aren't I. I tried the Script that is out there and it wont get root that way so Im going to try your way.
Thanks
splatoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
THE WORLD IS YOURS
 
mrpnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CALI
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,523
 
Device(s): LG G Flex /Galaxy note 3 /Galaxy s4/GSM
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,422
Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,064 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to mrpnut mrpnut310@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatoid View Post
I had one question. Im I think I no the answer but I want to check before I do this.
If I root the tablet it will still have the System intact wont it. I just want to root and flash a recovery for backup purposes. And I want the system to remain stock. Im thinking correctly on this aren't I. I tried the Script that is out there and it wont get root that way so Im going to try your way.
Thanks
Yes your system is going to stay stock after root unless you put a custom rom.
mrpnut is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
splatoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Acer Iconia A500 Root Acer Iconia A100 Stock HTC Incredible one Root HTC Rezond Root
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Thanks for your Reply.
splatoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Are these "

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonewiz View Post
************************************************** ********************************
**** Do this as your own risk, you could potential damage your device beyond repair. If.....****
**** the risk bothers you then don't move forward and do NOT attempt to root your device.****
**** ..............I am not responsible for you turning your A100 into a paper weight.............****
************************************************** ********************************

OK, just to get things going in this section, I want to offer my help with those trying to get there A100 devices rooted.

Due to the VERY limited info on the A100's and my lack of knowledge on this device, it took me like 3 days to finally get root.

There are 3 or 4 guides out there in other forums, all using essentially the same method with slightly modified instructions.

I went through all these guides and it seemed I just kept missing something, somewhere because I just couldn't get the darn thing rooted.

Finally, I came across this method which was just another variation of the same but there were some changes/modifications to the instructions that were helpful and finally got me rooted.

As with each set of instructions I found, even this one had some things I would change a bit now that I understand how to do it. Hopefully, I will find some time to re-write some of this to make it a little simpler. I hope to make the instructions more detailed and easier to get through for those that don't have as much experience doing this sort of thing.

Good Luck!

############################################
There is no automated way to root the A100 that I am aware of at the time of this post. So, this is a manual method to get the A100 rooted. There are two programs out there, one called Gingerbreak and one called IconiaRoot, neither work on the A100 at this time.

You will need a copy of the binary version of SuperUser, not the APK. This file is attached for your convenience.

Step 1: Make sure you a file manager installed that will allow you to copy/move and unzip files. You can get various apps from the market to accomplish this I used ES File Explorer which is free from the Android Market.

Step 2: If you don't have a terminal program on your A100, you will need one. This will allow you to run the commands below. I used Android Terminal Emulator from the Market. It works pretty good, except I can't seem to figure out how to exit the program when done.

Step 3: Download the su.zip file to your A100. I can't remember where your browser will drop it but you will need to find it unzip it and copy just the "su" file to the root of the INTERNAL SD (mnt/sdcard, not external SD). This step is where ES File Explorer or a similar program comes in handy.

Step 4: On your A100, open Android Terminal Emulator or your terminal program of choice and copy/paste the following commands. You will not receive any feedback after hitting enter, just another blank line with a $ sign. That's normal..

Command Line 1: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

Command Line 2: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

Command Line 3: /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Step 5: Jump for joy, you should now be rooted. Move on to step 6 to make your rooting accomplishment worth while and to test it.

Step 6: Install BusyBox from the Market

Step 7: Install SuperUser from the market, this is the APK version this time. This is going to update the SU file and install the SuperUser app.

Step 8: Reboot, not sure that this is needed but I think it's a good idea. If you have problems with step 9 then I would reboot for sure then retry step 9.

Step 9: Install Titanium Backup from the market, when you run it, the app will error out if you are not rooted. If Titanium tells you that it can't gain root access then something went wrong, please follow the steps again carefully, then post here if you have no success. One thing to look out for is that you don't have any spaces before or after the commands when you are copying/pasting them into the terminal app.


Credit goes to several folks @ XDA, particularly: abliss, brendan802 and guags99 and alphawave7 @ AcerTabletForum
################################################## ##
'`mount -o remount,rw /system (`') <-- what symbols are these???? Because it's NOT working here???
TexAz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
splatoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Acer Iconia A500 Root Acer Iconia A100 Stock HTC Incredible one Root HTC Rezond Root
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Remove
splatoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've tried this several times but nothing happens. I'm running android version 4.03 on my a100. Image version acer_avo41_a100_rv22rc02_pa_cus1. Not sure if the updated ICS is the reason why it doesn't work. What do you think?
mracine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:12 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
splatoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Acer Iconia A500 Root Acer Iconia A100 Stock HTC Incredible one Root HTC Rezond Root
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracine View Post
I've tried this several times but nothing happens. I'm running android version 4.03 on my a100. Image version acer_avo41_a100_rv22rc02_pa_cus1. Not sure if the updated ICS is the reason why it doesn't work. What do you think?
You might try this forum. there is still some activity and there are a couple of Devs who are real helpful.
Full root for A10x and A5xx ICS. Simple method. - xda-developers
splatoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default help

Where do I put the su file after extracted, can you say EXACTLY please?
PurpleTribe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
splatoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Acer Iconia A500 Root Acer Iconia A100 Stock HTC Incredible one Root HTC Rezond Root
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTribe View Post
Where do I put the su file after extracted, can you say EXACTLY please?
It would be easer to just go into market and search for SU. Then download and install from the market.

If you have it as an APK file on your SD card then just slick it and install it like any other APK file. If it is on the SD card and you cant see your SD card you need a file explorer like ESfile explorer to access your SD card.
splatoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It doesn't work for me on my a100. I've tried multiple times, both typing in the command lines into the terminal emulator and also copying/pasting them...nothing. SU is still in mnt/sdcard, but NOT in system/bin or system/xbin. Titanium doesn't work, no root. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
lmschwab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
splatoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Acer Iconia A500 Root Acer Iconia A100 Stock HTC Incredible one Root HTC Rezond Root
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
Default

It doesn't sound like you have root. You can get root checker from the ,market for free and run it to make sure you have root.
splatoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Acer Iconia Tab A100 > Iconia Tab A100 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.