September 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Allentown, PA
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 with AT&T, ROOTED like a bitch-ass
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Yet another froyo root guide - for glitch-free love
YET ANOTHER ROOT GUIDE. The reason I did this is because I got confused after months of old-skool rooting, unrEVOked3 rooting, ROMing, kerneling, etc., and was stumped when I tried to do the official Froyo 2.2 OTA root after downgrading to stock 2.1.
Problem was I was downgrading to the 2.1update1 but was left with the wrong software version (which prohibits flashing the official 2.2 OTA). I had to run the May version of the leaked 2.2 first to get the proper software version, then all things flashed as desired.
Visit this most-excellent guide by dsb9938 for the files - HERE
Here are the steps I took:
1. Ensure that s-off is installed and active (verify this in bootloader screen)
2. Flash stock recovery 2.1UPDATE1 from bootloader as "PB31IMG" (allow reboot)
3. Remove "PB31IMG" from SD
PHONE IS NOW STOCK 2.1UPDATE1 - 1.2.605.0
3. Flash "May-OTA" from stock recovery as "update" (allow reboot)
DOWNLOAD IT FROM HERE: https://android.clients.google.com/packages/incrediblec/OTA_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_1.22.605.2_1.22.605.0_ release_sign.a33bc3bf.zi
(disregard the warning screen if you get one - its a false positive)
PHONE IS NOW STOCK 2.1UPDATE1 - 1.2.605.2
4. Remove "May-OTA" from SD
5. Flash Official Froyo 2.2 from stock recovery as "update" (allow reboots into OS)
PHONE IS NOW FROYO 2.2 UNROOTED - 3.21.605.1
6. Skip through setup screens
7. Menu-Settings-SD & Phone Storage-Factory Data Reset
8. When phone reboots, Activate (phone will reboot after activation)
9. Skip through setup screens
10. Menu-Settings-Applications (check "Unknown sources")
11. Menu-Settings-Applications-Development (check "USB debugging")
12. Power Off
13. Remove "update" from SD
14. Put ClockworkMod Recovery onto SD as "PB31IMG"
15. Put "payload-update" and "su-2.3.4-ef-signed" on SD
16. Run recovery
17. After parsing, it will ask you if you want to run the recovery update. Push the volume button up for "yes"
18. When it asks if you want to reboot, push volume down for "no"
19. Select recovery. Phone will go into ClockworkMod recovery (black screen, green text)
20. Use volume down to select "install zip from SD card"
21. Use volume down to select "choose zip from SD"
22. Flash "payload-update" and then flash "su-2.3.4-ef-signed" from the SD
PHONE IS NOW OFFICIAL FROYO 2.2 ROOTED (you are smiling, and secretly wanting to sex-down ZombiBlanc)
23. Reboot system
24. When phone reboots, power off
25. Remove "PB31IMG", "payload-update", and "su-2.3.4-ef-signed" from SD
26. Enter ClockworkMod recovery (Volume down+Power)
27. Do a full Nandroid backup
28. Copy backup file to a safe place on your computer.
29. Kick back all-stylin'-and-profilin'-and-shit because your ass is now officially Froyo'd and Rooted
Don't let them bury me...I'm not dead.
Last edited by ZombiBlanc; September 8th, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
Reason: Link to post with needed files