Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - All Things Root
Incredible - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bronco Nation
Posts: 233
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default Getting frustrated....new to Inc, trouble flashing ROM.

Last night I exchanged my Fascinate for the Incredible due to some really poor call quality issues. Well, I am not a huge fan of Sense - mainly due to the swipe down action of answering calls and unlocking the phone...but I digress...

So I decided to root. I've rooted several phones before (Eris, Ally, Fascinate) so I'm not a total noob but I do need some help. I flashed the DInc last night using the unrevoked one touch method. Then I installed ROM Manager - paid version. ROM manager thought I still had the Ally so I went ahead and flashed the CWM recovery image included with ROM Manager and I think that caused a problem. Things just weren't working right so I searched the forum and found an image that I had to rename, put on the root of the SD card and then flash. After doing that I was then able to flash the Skyraider ROM that I downloaded in ROM Manager.

What I'm really looking for is a ROM with a Vanilla dialer so I tried flashing Cyanogen's 6.0.2 from ROM Manager. It downloaded but hangs at the HTC Incredible screen on bootup. Thought there may be an issue with the flash so I downloaded and installed it manually and it still hung at the boot up screen. I thought it was a problem with the cyanogen ROM so I gave up... but I just tried another and am having the same problem. I flashed the MIUI ROM manually and it booted up the same screen and hung there as well.

What am I doing wrong?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements
Gink is offline  
Last edited by Gink; October 20th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Vaseline Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 278
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Did you wipe all data before flashing a new ROM? That can be causing you issues, Did you create a nandroid backup before flashing ROM's? You can revert back to one and then wipe data and reflash.
__________________
Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
Vaseline Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bronco Nation
Posts: 233
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Yep, I wiped both times. Actually, it's been about 5 times total with the different things I've tried. I'll give it another shot now just in case. Gots me a nandroid too.

Any other ideas?
Gink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 390
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 70 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gink View Post
Last night I exchanged my Fascinate for the Incredible due to some really poor call quality issues. Well, I am not a huge fan of Sense - mainly due to the swipe down action of answering calls and unlocking the phone...but I digress...

So I decided to root. I've rooted several phones before (Eris, Ally, Fascinate) so I'm not a total noob but I do need some help. I flashed the DInc last night using the unrevoked one touch method. Then I installed ROM Manager - paid version. ROM manager thought I still had the Ally so I went ahead and flashed the CWM recovery image included with ROM Manager and I think that caused a problem. Things just weren't working right so I searched the forum and found an image that I had to rename, put on the root of the SD card and then flash. After doing that I was then able to flash the Skyraider ROM that I downloaded in ROM Manager.

What I'm really looking for is a ROM with a Vanilla dialer so I tried flashing Cyanogen's 6.0.2 from ROM Manager. It downloaded but hangs at the HTC Incredible screen on bootup. Thought there may be an issue with the flash so I downloaded and installed it manually and it still hung at the boot up screen. I thought it was a problem with the cyanogen ROM so I gave up... but I just tried another and am having the same problem. I flashed the MIUI ROM manually and it booted up the same screen and hung there as well.

What am I doing wrong?? Thanks in advance for any help.
You're not doing anything wrong. Odds are, since you just got your Inc, that you received one with a SLCD. It seems that some of the AOSP ROMs such as CM6 install with kernels that don't support your hardware.
Go to Menu > Settings > About Phone > Hardware Version. If yours is 003, you have a SLCD.
najaboy is offline  
Last edited by najaboy; October 20th, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to najaboy For This Useful Post:
Gink (October 20th, 2010)
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bronco Nation
Posts: 233
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaboy View Post
You're not doing anything wrong. Odds are, since you just got your Inc, that you received one with a SLCD. It seems that some of the AOSP ROMs such as CM6 install with kernels that don't support your hardware.
Seriously......? Wow, that totally sucks.
Gink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 390
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 70 Times in 59 Posts
Default

If you indeed have a SLCD, you can try flashing a kernel from KingxKlick Forums • View topic - [KERNEL] [AOSP/CM] [2.6.32.21] [HAVS][BFS] KiNgxKernel #1/#2 while in recovery before trying to initially boot the ROM.
najaboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to najaboy For This Useful Post:
Gink (October 20th, 2010)
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bronco Nation
Posts: 233
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaboy View Post
If you indeed have a SLCD, you can try flashing a kernel from KingxKlick Forums • View topic - [KERNEL] [AOSP/CM] [2.6.32.21] [HAVS][BFS] KiNgxKernel #1/#2 while in recovery before trying to initially boot the ROM.
Okay, never done a kernal before, can you break this down for me a little bit? Do I just flash that like I would a ROM? Before or after the ROM I want to flash? Any idea which of those kernals is the one I need/want?
Gink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bronco Nation
Posts: 233
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Yep, I've got 003 an slcd screen. I am flashing a kernal I found on another site. Will update in a few...
Gink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bronco Nation
Posts: 233
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I flashed a kernal I found on another site and I was able to install one of the ROMs in question. Thanks!!
Gink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
crazyg0od33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Default

i would install kings bfs #5. Its amazing..also get setcpu and then set up a screen off profile to save battery
crazyg0od33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 390
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 70 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyg0od33 View Post
i would install kings bfs #5. Its amazing..also get setcpu and then set up a screen off profile to save battery
Problem is that BFS#5 is written for Sense based ROMS. What the OP needs is AOSP.
najaboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Gink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bronco Nation
Posts: 233
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

The one I flashed is a CWM test file, or so it's named. Seems to work beautifully so far!
Gink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.