Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - All Things Root
Incredible - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 15th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #651 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkinsella2 View Post
Hazelnut, did you change your shell prompt from '$' to '#'?
agreed. you possibly needed to "su" to get your "#" prompt. a copy/paste of your session would be helpful. see post #627 to copy paste your session here

Advertisements
__________________
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers.
donate to my device fund
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; December 15th, 2011 at 07:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old December 17th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #652 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible - Rooted; Samsung GT 10.1 - rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did it this afternoon and drove 4 hours and picked up where I left off.. no problems other than getting it to go back to 2.2 but that is done. Glad it is done... now to learn what I can do with it
Kirru is offline  
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #653 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25 View Post
you need s-off to remove the apps with titanium unless you use the "recovery exploit". Or buy the paid version and you can freeze them.
Thanks for the reply, sdrawkcab25. I ended up going in through the ADB shell and moving all the unwanted .apks out of /system/apps into a temp discard folder. Now, a week later everything seems to be working fine so it's time to permanently remove them.

I have one final question. My wife's phone still has 2.2. Will the same unrevoked binary work on hers as well, or, should I use the latest unrevoked (3.3.x) ?

Cheers
teerex is offline  
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #654 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

if she is still on 2.2,just run the latest unrevoked,and make sure it turns s-off. if it does not,just flash the "forever" patch linked in the first post.

no need to make it more complex than it needs be... unrevoked 3 has been the inc root standard for a looooong time
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #655 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Thank you, Scotty!

For those, like me, that use Linux instead of Windows, here is a link to the Linux version of unrevoked3 3.22 reflash.tar.gz :
http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recovery/3.22/reflash.tar.gz

I haven't gotten far enough in your instructions to see if there are any other Linux downloads needed. However, if I do find any I will post here to help other Linux users.

Cheers,
Robert~
sixit is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixit For This Useful Post:
andish (January 1st, 2012), scotty85 (December 19th, 2011)
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #656 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Cool,I will add that to the OP later
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #657 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Well after going through this process successfully a couple of weeks ago, I wound up going for the free upgrade to a Dinc 2 this weekend at Best Buy. LOL. I was somewhat hesitant due to lack of 4G capability, but I honestly don't see that as an issue for me during the next 20 months until I can upgrade again. Lovin' the Dinc 2 a lot, and my daughter is enjoying the original as an Android game/music/social networking toy.

Now to decide whether I want to do all of this again with the Dinc 2. I may not for awhile... would love to ditch the Verizon Crapware, but it was really the low data memory issue that prompted me to root the original Dinc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Thank you for these instructions. I was able to accomplish everything here and then downloaded CyanogenMod 7.1. Looks like I have plenty of storage space now in that 150MB data partition that was filling up constantly! *fingers crossed*

The only flub has been the loss of most of my contacts.
BamaDave is offline  
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #658 (permalink)
New Member
 
OandresQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow that was easier than I expected, thank you so much!!! Finally rooted thanks again!!
OandresQ is offline  
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #659 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Problem Downgrading

So this is my first time trying to root the inc.

I was following all the instructions perfectly until it got to the point of downgrading.

The phone tries to load [Pb31IMG.zip] and then checks it but there is no prompt asking me to update. I loaded the image onto the root of my memory card, and the memory card is FAT 32. I have root access from the second step of the guide.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the hassle
nk21590 is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #660 (permalink)
Member
 
clipperqb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 85
Thanked 117 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
__________________________________________________ ______________

2)root with unrevoked 3.22
-go to settings/power and uncheck "fastboot". having this checked will prevent you from getting to hboot via power/vol down.
I'm about to get started doing this today and have been reading the directions to make sure I understand. The first item under step 2, how do I do that? Is that on the phone or am I opening one of the programs I downloaded to my PC?
Thanks
clipperqb is online now  
sponsored links
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #661 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

On your phone,sir
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #662 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk21590 View Post
So this is my first time trying to root the inc.

I was following all the instructions perfectly until it got to the point of downgrading.

The phone tries to load [Pb31IMG.zip] and then checks it but there is no prompt asking me to update. I loaded the image onto the root of my memory card, and the memory card is FAT 32. I have root access from the second step of the guide.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the hassle
One of those 2 things is not right,or your card is possibly bad or needs reformatted. This has been addressed several times,I can't go into more detail at the moment(working)
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #663 (permalink)
Member
 
clipperqb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 85
Thanked 117 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
On your phone,sir
That was my first inclination lol, but why am I too dumb to find it? (I don't see power under settings)
clipperqb is online now  
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #664 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperqb View Post
That was my first inclination lol, but why am I too dumb to find it? (I don't see power under settings)

Are you on 2.3.4?
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #665 (permalink)
Member
 
clipperqb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 85
Thanked 117 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
Are you on 2.3.4?
yes at least thats what it says under software
2.3.4 android
2.15.10.07.07 baseband
2.6.35.13... aug 18 2011 kernel
4.06.605.3 CL140944 release keys

I am notified every few days about a system update but I dont think it ever gets installed because of my low space condition
clipperqb is online now  
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #666 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So, I'm starting to panic... I am trying to un-root, per the instructions.

I'm currently stuck in HBOOT as it's applying the .ruu. I know you said it will take "a few minutes", but it's now been an hour and the progress bar has stopped moving.

It's on the SYSTEM step, and the bar is at about 95%.

Should I just pull the battery and start over?

(Sorry if anyone has asked this, I tried skimming through the thread but I might have missed it)

UPDATE:
Pulled the battery, re-applying it now, we'll see how it goes...

UPDATE #2:
It worked, and is booting now! Hooray!
chupajr is offline  
Last edited by chupajr; December 20th, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #667 (permalink)
Member
 
clipperqb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 85
Thanked 117 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperqb View Post
yes at least thats what it says under software
2.3.4 android
2.15.10.07.07 baseband
2.6.35.13... aug 18 2011 kernel
4.06.605.3 CL140944 release keys

I am notified every few days about a system update but I dont think it ever gets installed because of my low space condition
I decided to reset phone so that I could get that last update (changed from August to October) Still no Power option under settings, however under Applications is a setting to turn off fast boot.
clipperqb is online now  
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #668 (permalink)
Member
 
clipperqb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 85
Thanked 117 Times in 54 Posts
Default

So now I got into HBOOT USB PLUG and installed drivers exactly as shown. Device manager shows same as screenshot. So phone is currently plugged in and next step is "place your phone in charge mode,and make sure usb debugging is checked ON in settings/applications/development." The fast boot screen is still on phone and am unsure what to do? I'm assuming need to unplug phone as there is a step coming up to plug in your phone.

Anyway so I unplugged, rebooted from the fast boot screen, made sure I had charge only selected in settings. started-up unrevoked tool and plugged phone in. Phone drivers don't kick in, shows up in device manager as ADB other device and mounts phone as Q:CDROM

sorry to clutter the thread, any help is appreciated.
clipperqb is online now  
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #669 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk21590 View Post
So this is my first time trying to root the inc.

I was following all the instructions perfectly until it got to the point of downgrading.

The phone tries to load [Pb31IMG.zip] and then checks it but there is no prompt asking me to update. I loaded the image onto the root of my memory card, and the memory card is FAT 32. I have root access from the second step of the guide.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the hassle
I am having the same problem, although I think I got there a different way. I don't think that it is an SD card problem. I have 2 formatted fat32, and hboot finds the PB31IMG.zip file, checks it, (blue progress bar and all) and then does nothing. This when trying to upgrade to a newer clockwork mod. (I messed up and got one that doesn't support SLCD.) If I try to flash a new image, after hboot checks the image, after it checks it I get an error about the version being too old.

I don't seem to be able to flash anything, either from hboot (version 0.92, says S-ON on top of screen.) or clockword mod recovery. I have to use the the 'ddms' program to see the screen when clockwork is running. The phone does not boot past recovery, which is a black screen with white bars on the side.

The phone was stock with the OTA gingerbread update.

I'm not sure what to try next, as I have tried every way I have found information on to burn something new to the flash, but seem to be unable to do so.

Any suggestions? Can it really still be an SD card problem if I get all the way through checking and the progress bar (or the version error?)

Thanks,
Roy
royfranz is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #670 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royfranz View Post

Any suggestions? Can it really still be an SD card problem if I get all the way through checking and the progress bar (or the version error?)

Thanks,
Roy
if you get a status bar,the file is being checked. your sd card formatted correctly,and it is named correctly.

the prollem is the file itself. make sure you didnt unzip it, and double check the md5 sum to make sure its not corrupt.

ive seen claims that bad sd cards prohibited RUUs from flashing(with different error messages,or no message like youre experincing) but never personally experienced it. wouldnt hurt to reformat an extra card and give it a shot.
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; December 20th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #671 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperqb View Post
So now I got into HBOOT USB PLUG and installed drivers exactly as shown. Device manager shows same as screenshot. So phone is currently plugged in and next step is "place your phone in charge mode,and make sure usb debugging is checked ON in settings/applications/development." The fast boot screen is still on phone and am unsure what to do? I'm assuming need to unplug phone as there is a step coming up to plug in your phone.

Anyway so I unplugged, rebooted from the fast boot screen, made sure I had charge only selected in settings. started-up unrevoked tool and plugged phone in. Phone drivers don't kick in, shows up in device manager as ADB other device and mounts phone as Q:CDROM

sorry to clutter the thread, any help is appreciated.
make sure you enable "usb debubbing" on the phone in settings/apps/development
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #672 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupajr View Post
So, I'm starting to panic... I am trying to un-root, per the instructions.

I'm currently stuck in HBOOT as it's applying the .ruu. I know you said it will take "a few minutes", but it's now been an hour and the progress bar has stopped moving.

It's on the SYSTEM step, and the bar is at about 95%.

Should I just pull the battery and start over?

(Sorry if anyone has asked this, I tried skimming through the thread but I might have missed it)

UPDATE:
Pulled the battery, re-applying it now, we'll see how it goes...

UPDATE #2:
It worked, and is booting now! Hooray!
sorry i didnt see this earlier... im glad it worked for you the 2nd time. also thanks for reporting back
scotty85 is online now  
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #673 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperqb View Post
I decided to reset phone so that I could get that last update (changed from August to October) Still no Power option under settings, however under Applications is a setting to turn off fast boot.
i dont have an inc 1 with 2.3.4 to double check,but i thot when i had last looked,it was just like my thunderbolt and inc 2,with "power" having its own setting in the main menu(little battery icon).

sorry if its different and caused you confusion. the important thing is that you found it,and unchecked it
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #674 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
if you get a status bar,the file is being checked. your sd card formatted correctly,and it is named correctly.

the prollem is the file itself. make sure you didnt unzip it, and double check the md5 sum to make sure its not corrupt.

ive seen claims that bad sd cards prohibited RUUs from flashing(with different error messages,or no message like youre experincing) but never personally experienced it. wouldnt hurt to reformat an extra card and give it a shot.
Thanks. I finally got something to flash from hboot - the official gingerbread image that was extracted from the RUU exe (md5sum of the zip 4b7e23b052520978dcd100f008880f82 can't post links)

I think the problem was that I was trying to burn unsigned images from hboot with s-on. Is this even possible? I'm not clear on exactly what s-on restricts.

It looks like I'm back to stock, don't know if I'll try to root again
royfranz is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #675 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

s-on basically is "security on" and checks for signed by htc official files.(why we want s-off )

i think you were using the wrong download,or there was some issue with it,as if you were on GB and trying to flash the 2.2 ruu,you would typically get a "main version higher" or "main version newer" error,as the s-on will not go backwards in firmware.

i believe that you have prolly done the first parts of the guide correctly,since you didnt get one of those errors.

the PB31IMG is a signed version,just like the GB image that you flashed. if you get a good download,i think you will be able to completel the guide and get s-off
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012)
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #676 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

I have spent the last 3 hours reading and skimming this entire thread. Wow what a lot of information. Unfortunately when you are only reading for information purposes, a lot goes over your head unless you're following post by post actually doing the steps. I see there have been a variety of processes that can accomplish the same thing over the evolution of this thread, I just haven't really discovered which one is best for me. My Droid X got a big gulp of seawater, and that ended its life for good. I purchased a dinc on Craigslist, and this is what the boot menu says: IncredibleC XD SHIP X-ON
hboot 0.92.0000
Radio 2.15.10.07.07

I don't know if OTA or factory installed GB, but it is definately GB. Can someone point me to the post number in this forum for the easiest and best way for THIS phone to be rooted and S-OFF? I used RadioComm and RSD to completely make my life heaven with my DX, and now this incredible is a completely different animal, I'm afraid I need to learn how to crawl all over again. I could dive into the first post and follow the instructions, but along the way I see that others have made it simpler, so I'm not looking for a rehash, just a good starting point for the latest, for my particular phone.
n7okn is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:08 AM   #677 (permalink)
Member
 
clipperqb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 218
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 85
Thanked 117 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
i dont have an inc 1 with 2.3.4 to double check,but i thot when i had last looked,it was just like my thunderbolt and inc 2,with "power" having its own setting in the main menu(little battery icon).

sorry if its different and caused you confusion. the important thing is that you found it,and unchecked it
After a little trial and error getting drivers to load it looks like a got root access. Superuser permissions shows up in app drawer. I installed a file explorer to test. Thanks!
clipperqb is online now  
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM   #678 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7okn View Post
IncredibleC XD SHIP X-ON
hboot 0.92.0000
Radio 2.15.10.07.07

I don't know if OTA or factory installed GB, but it is definately GB. Can someone point me to the post number in this forum for the easiest and best way for THIS phone to be rooted and S-OFF?
Follow the instructions in post 1. This was my first time rooting a phone and it is now running flawlessly with cyanogenmod 7.

There was one hiccup, and I found the answer in the middle of this thread somewhere, so I will mention it again here: when windows asks for drivers for new hardware during the unrevoked process, install the drivers every time it asks, even if you have already installed them.

Thanks for this great thread.
vitod is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to vitod For This Useful Post:
n7okn (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM   #679 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i'm having a problem at this step:

Code:
# /data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img
i searched this thread and google and haven't found an answer, hope someone here can help.

after inputting that above command in the ADB shell, i get the following response:

Code:
[1]   Illegal instruction     ./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img
if it matters, i'm doing this thru Ubuntu. in the ADB shell, i can cd to /sdcard/ and see mtd0.img and PB31IMG.zip. i did the chmod 0755 on /data/local/flash_image. i hooked the phone up to windows and confirmed the sdcard is fat32. i am connecting to the ADB shell with the phone in charge only mode and with usb debugging enabled.

thoughts? help, please

EDIT: NEVERMIND, I RE-DOWNLOADED flash_image AND mtd0.img AND NOW IT WORKS.
robotarmy is offline  
Last edited by robotarmy; December 21st, 2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: me derp.
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM   #680 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
Follow the instructions in post 1. This was my first time rooting a phone and it is now running flawlessly with cyanogenmod 7.

There was one hiccup, and I found the answer in the middle of this thread somewhere, so I will mention it again here: when windows asks for drivers for new hardware during the unrevoked process, install the drivers every time it asks, even if you have already installed them.

Thanks for this great thread.

OK I feel much better about starting this Thanks for the great advice. I only had reservations about doing it post 1 because others later on had hinted to a far easier way but didn't know if it applied to me.

I'll report on how I manage.
n7okn is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n7okn For This Useful Post:
scotty85 (December 21st, 2011), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
sponsored links
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM   #681 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sorry if this has been fixed before but I haven't seen it.
The info I see at the hboot screen is this.

INCREDIBLE XD SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.92.0000
MICROP-0417
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.10.07.07
Jul 23 2010, 18:06:51

I have formatted the sdcard to FAT 32 and placed the PB31IMG zip on the card.
It loads and when it goes to check it says "Main Version is older! Update Fail! Do you want to reboot device? <VOL UP> Yes <VOL DOWN> No"

When I choose yes it goes to the HTC Incredible white screen and stays for a bit then goes right back. It is stuck in that loop until I take out the battery and go back to the hboot.

The only way my computer (PC Vista 32bit) recognizes it is when I use the Android SDK and go into DDMS and mount it as a USB drive.

If anyone could please help I'd truly appreciate it.
I have not been able to use my phone properly since last night.
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM   #682 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Are youable to get to clockwork recovery thru hboot?

If so try wiping cache and dalvik cache and see if that lets it boot. If not,you can restore a backup or flash a Rom
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; December 21st, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:02 PM   #683 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When I wiped the cache partition it showed a white box with an arrow coming out and pointing to the little green android guy.
After that, before I wiped the Dalvik cache, it showed a message stating "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2
(File exists)"
What does that mean? Also, it still says "Main Version is older! Update Fail!"
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:12 PM   #684 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Did you try restoring a backup or flashing a Rom?
scotty85 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:31 PM   #685 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I apologize for my ignorance but I'm very new to this.
How would I go about flashing a rom? I don't believe a backup was created.

When I try to use unrevoked recovery tool it says the following:
Device "/sbin/sh: getprop: notfound" is not supported at this time.
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Last edited by Stacheapalooza; December 21st, 2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: More information.
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:54 PM   #686 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

rest assured,your phone is not dead. the main version higher error is simply becasue at some point your adb steps failed to rewrite the misc image so that the downgrade will be allowed.

the cant mount error is not a crucial one.

you cant use unrevoked on a non-operable phone

there are lots of guides and tutorials on flashing roms,so i cant really go into that here. you may have to search the forum,or start a new thread if you cant find what you need.

the basic steps are:
-find a rom(id just pick a stock one for now)
-put it on the root of your sd card(not inside a folder) with a card reader,or toggling usb storage in recovery
-use the menus in recovey to wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache and dalvik cache(even if you still get the errors)
-flash the rom

sorry i cant be more specific on the menu selection,but i dont use clockwork on my phone,and my memory isnt what it used to be

that should get you back to a working phone,and you can retry the adb steps to downgrade.

in an absolute worse case scenario,you just need to run a gingerbread ruu to restore your phone to factory gingerbread. this will unroot you,however,so youll have to start from square one with unrevoked 3.22 to root again.
-
scotty85 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM   #687 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When you say flash the rom, do you mean pull the battery out and get back to hboot and let it run/check?

If so, it still brings me to that main version is older error.

Also, I have the froyo RUU but HTC sync and the RUU don't recognize my phone even when the SDK DDMS does.

How would I go about having it recognized?
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:39 PM   #688 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

hi all - this is my first time trying to root on a s-led incredible.

so far i've followed the guide and i'm currently rooted with s-on. i'm looking to do the rest of the steps for s-off and put CM7 on my dinc, but i have a question in step 4 about unrevoked. it says to use unrevoked forever, but the link goes to unrevoked3. should i just use the link in the guide, or follow the steps in this one - unrevoked.com/forever (sorry, cant post the link since it's my first post..)

i'm just asking because if it's in the link above, the radio baseband version on my phone, 2.15.10.07.07, is not listed on that list.

apologies if this is a silly question, but just wanted to be sure since the guide says use unrevoked forever but the link goes to unrevoked3. appreciate the guide and and thanks for your help!
entsc is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM   #689 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,569
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by entsc View Post
hi all - this is my first time trying to root on a s-led incredible.

so far i've followed the guide and i'm currently rooted with s-on. i'm looking to do the rest of the steps for s-off and put CM7 on my dinc, but i have a question in step 4 about unrevoked. it says to use unrevoked forever, but the link goes to unrevoked3. should i just use the link in the guide, or follow the steps in this one - unrevoked.com/forever (sorry, cant post the link since it's my first post..)

i'm just asking because if it's in the link above, the radio baseband version on my phone, 2.15.10.07.07, is not listed on that list.

apologies if this is a silly question, but just wanted to be sure since the guide says use unrevoked forever but the link goes to unrevoked3. appreciate the guide and and thanks for your help!

You need to follow the steps that rewrite your misc.img then run the froyo PB31IMG.zip to downgrade.. then you can run unrevoked forever.
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdrawkcab25 For This Useful Post:
entsc (December 22nd, 2011), iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), scotty85 (December 21st, 2011), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM   #690 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,569
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacheapalooza View Post
When you say flash the rom, do you mean pull the battery out and get back to hboot and let it run/check?

If so, it still brings me to that main version is older error.

Also, I have the froyo RUU but HTC sync and the RUU don't recognize my phone even when the SDK DDMS does.

How would I go about having it recognized?

Scotty is assuming you have clockwork recovery installed on your phone, is that correct? When you boot into hboot and select the recovery option, what appears on your screen?
If you don't have clockwork you need to start from the beginning of the guide.

PS remove the PB31IMG.zip file you have on your SD card, you are not ready for that step yet..
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Last edited by sdrawkcab25; December 21st, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdrawkcab25 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), scotty85 (December 21st, 2011), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
sponsored links
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM   #691 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A black screen with white lines on the sides.
When I use the sdk/DDMS it says clockwork recovery.

Am I perhaps doing something wrong?
I am very unfamiliar with this and not sure if I am flashing the rom correctly or not.
What I currently have on my phone's sd root is the PB31IMG from the first step of the first post on this thread.

I also have the Froyo RUU and read somewhere that I should put that on my sd card root and either rename it update.zip or PB31IMG.zip.

Is that true?
I appreciate the responses as I've been stuck with my phone like this for almost two days now.
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM   #692 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacheapalooza View Post
When you say flash the rom, do you mean pull the battery out and get back to hboot and let it run/check?

If so, it still brings me to that main version is older error.

Also, I have the froyo RUU but HTC sync and the RUU don't recognize my phone even when the SDK DDMS does.

How would I go about having it recognized?
no,you flash the rom in clockwork recovery.

-remove your sd card,remove PB31IMG from it.
-place a stock rooted rom on your sd card.
-boot into hboot
-select recovery with the volume rocker and power button after the green writing flashes
-in clockwork recovery:
--use the menus in recovey to wipe data/factory reset
--wipe cache and dalvik cache(even if you still get the errors)
--flash the rom

dont worry about your phone being seen right now.
scotty85 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:55 PM   #693 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,569
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacheapalooza View Post
A black screen with white lines on the sides.
When I use the sdk/DDMS it says clockwork recovery.

Am I perhaps doing something wrong?
I am very unfamiliar with this and not sure if I am flashing the rom correctly or not.
What I currently have on my phone's sd root is the PB31IMG from the first step of the first post on this thread.

I also have the Froyo RUU and read somewhere that I should put that on my sd card root and either rename it update.zip or PB31IMG.zip.

Is that true?
I appreciate the responses as I've been stuck with my phone like this for almost two days now.
You have an incompatible version of clockwork on your phone, head to pvillecomp.com and go to the recoveries section. Download the latest clockwork recovery and rename it to PB31IMG.zip and install with hboot. This will give you a working recovery where you will be able to install a working from.

Again, remove the file you currently have on your SD card.

Alternatively you can download the gingerbread PB31IMG.zip file and this will put you back where you started.
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Last edited by sdrawkcab25; December 21st, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdrawkcab25 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), scotty85 (December 21st, 2011), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:55 PM   #694 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25 View Post
Scotty is assuming you have clockwork recovery installed on your phone, is that correct? When you boot into hboot and select the recovery option, what appears on your screen?
If you don't have clockwork you need to start from the beginning of the guide.

PS remove the PB31IMG.zip file you have on your SD card, you are not ready for that step yet..
sdraw,that is correct... im assuming he has clockwork based on this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacheapalooza View Post
When I wiped the cache partition it showed a white box with an arrow coming out and pointing to the little green android guy.
After that, before I wiped the Dalvik cache, it showed a message stating "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2
(File exists)"
maybe it would be better to to just flash a GB PB31IMG since you are becoming fustrated with a non working phone.
scotty85 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM   #695 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25 View Post
You have an incompatible version of clockwork on your phone, head to pvillecomp.com and go to the recoveries section. Download the latest clockwork recovery and rename it to PB31IMG.zip and install with hboot. This will give you a working recovery where you will be able to install a working from.

Again, remove the file you currently have on your SD card.
he wont be able to do that,he hasnt completed the downgrade,so hes still s-on.

i think at this point we need to find a PB31IMG for 2.3.4 so he can get his phone working again.

edit:
download this PB31IMG of gingerbread

check its md5. should be: 25ec451e08cd98c9495971bcb37e6582

rename PB31IMG and put it on yuor sd card in place of the froyo one.
scotty85 is online now  
Last edited by scotty85; December 21st, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM   #696 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,569
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
he wont be able to do that,he hasnt completed the downgrade,so hes still s-on.

i think at this point we need to find a PB31IMG for 2.3.4 so he can get his phone working again.

Oh yeah, not thinking lol
Gingerbread file can be found here:
http://pvillecomp.com/?page_id=22

Put the PB31IMG.zip on your SD card and install in hboot, easiest just to start from scratch

Edit again: all yours Scotty lol
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Last edited by sdrawkcab25; December 21st, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdrawkcab25 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), scotty85 (December 21st, 2011), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM   #697 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the help! I'm currently downloading the gingerbread stock you linked me to.
I hope this works. I have about 19 mins left in the download.
Now if this works, how should I go about rooting this phone or should I not even try?
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM   #698 (permalink)
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,014
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,485 Posts
Default

The other thing we need to be concerned with is your battery charge. I would power the phone off and plug it in... I'm not sure if it will charge in its current state or not. Do you have an external charger or extra batteries?

You don't want to attempt an ruu flash without at least 40% charge(I always reccomend 100%)
scotty85 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 10th, 2012), Stacheapalooza (December 21st, 2011)
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:49 PM   #699 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a wall charger and can use that. I've had it hooked to the computer for a good amount of time.
Is there a way to check the charge to see how much battery life I have left?
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM   #700 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's aliiiiivvvveeee!!!

If I do indeed want to risk rooting again. How should I go about it?
Stacheapalooza is offline  
Closed Thread
Tags
2.3.4, gingerbread, root


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-how-root-2-3-4-downgrade-get-s-off.html
Posted By For Type Date
YouTube - Droid Incredible 2.3.4 Root [WORKS!!!!!] S-OFF IF This thread Refback April 9th, 2012 11:24 PM
root 2.3.4,downgrade,and regain s-off - RootzWiki - Page 2 This thread Refback February 17th, 2012 08:51 AM
root 2.3.4,downgrade,and s-off - Page 16 - xda-developers This thread Refback February 11th, 2012 01:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.