Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - All Things Root
Incredible - All Things Root Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, etc.

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 50
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default How to get past activation screen to root?

So due to various circumstances, I have in my possession a DInc that can't be activated on cellular networks.

first of all, when I start up the phone I get "Problem with activation" screen

"Unable to activate your phone. You may need to find an area with better coverage (near a window, or outside). et.c etc. etc."

Is there any way to get past this screen so I can connect it to my computer and root it?

And once I do have it rooted, is there any good media-only ROM for the Incredible?

Thanks!

Advertisements
BeachBumDeac is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

You should head over to the xda site you will probably get all your answers from the devs there
jugg1es is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,568
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
So due to various circumstances, I have in my possession a DInc that can't be activated on cellular networks.

first of all, when I start up the phone I get "Problem with activation" screen

"Unable to activate your phone. You may need to find an area with better coverage (near a window, or outside). et.c etc. etc."

Is there any way to get past this screen so I can connect it to my computer and root it?

And once I do have it rooted, is there any good media-only ROM for the Incredible?

Thanks!
Usually if the activation fails enough times, it will let you bypass it.

Bypassing Activation Screen with No Service Available


Quote:
Originally Posted by jugg1es View Post
You should head over to the xda site you will probably get all your answers from the devs there
All the information needed can be found here
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Last edited by sdrawkcab25; June 2nd, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,352 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Hey, I moved to the All Things Root section. Thanks for understanding.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 50
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25 View Post
Usually if the activation fails enough times, it will let you bypass it.

Bypassing Activation Screen with No Service Available



All the information needed can be found here
I've been hitting "Try Again" a lot but I'm still getting the "Problem with Activation" screen.

The problem is that there is no phone number associated with this phone, so I don't think going into the NAM settings and everything would help. I just want to get to the settings to turn on USB debugging so I can root the phone and do what I want with it.
BeachBumDeac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Have you tried a hard boot, using the volume down on restart to get to the boot screen then using volume and on button to do a reset
jugg1es is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,568
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
I've been hitting "Try Again" a lot but I'm still getting the "Problem with Activation" screen.

The problem is that there is no phone number associated with this phone, so I don't think going into the NAM settings and everything would help. I just want to get to the settings to turn on USB debugging so I can root the phone and do what I want with it.
Have you tried:
Select emergency call and dial ##778.
2. Select edit and enter service password 000000.
3. Select NAM Settings.
4. Change Mobile Directory number to 0000000000 (Ten digits).
5. Change MIN1 to 0000000 (Seven digits).
6. Change Mobile Country Code to 000 (Three digits).
7. As you back out "Commit the Change"
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 50
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcab25 View Post
Have you tried:
Select emergency call and dial ##778.
2. Select edit and enter service password 000000.
3. Select NAM Settings.
4. Change Mobile Directory number to 0000000000 (Ten digits).
5. Change MIN1 to 0000000 (Seven digits).
6. Change Mobile Country Code to 000 (Three digits).
7. As you back out "Commit the Change"
I tried this but it would not let me edit the mobile directory number
BeachBumDeac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,568
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
I tried this but it would not let me edit the mobile directory number
You may need a program to help you change the MDN (like CDMA workshop) and this addon program which will help simplify the process:
cdmaworkshoptool - cdmaDevTerm - Google Project Hosting

You won't find much documentation(step by step tutorials) on how it works, other than what is found on their site.
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
 
Device(s): photon
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You may have to google a bit on how to get the phone into DM mode, but after that the MDN bit is pretty universal

I did a little write up last time someone asked:

How to write MDN/MIN with cdmaDevTerm - chromableedstudios
¿kernelpanic? is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.