Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - Support and Troubleshooting

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What is this Icon that looks like a Satelite dish?

Hi;

I have notived a new Icon that seems to pop up every thirty seconds or so, It lis located to the left of the GPS Icon and it looks like the side view of a satelite dish at a forty five degree angle with three flashing green semi circle "signals" coming out of it? What the heck is this.

When I go to advanced task killer and kill absolutely everything it still comes up??

Advertisements
madogblue is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

SO I stopped advance task killer and started it again and what do you know there were all sorts of things running that it didn't show me before, what is up with that???

Come to find out it was my weather bug elite that was running in he background and updating all the time

Is this the best task killer to use???
madogblue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 249
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

It's the GPS icon.
c_aus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,346
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx, Moto 360
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 841
Thanked 420 Times in 292 Posts
Default

A big part of the problem could be that you're using a task killer.
__________________
Want to join Android Forums for free? Join here!
Outatime is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
Skipdawg (June 29th, 2010)
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Excedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 295
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, Motorola Droid, Galaxy Tab 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 44 Times in 32 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Excedio asl.lorenzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madogblue View Post
SO I stopped advance task killer and started it again and what do you know there were all sorts of things running that it didn't show me before, what is up with that???

Come to find out it was my weather bug elite that was running in he background and updating all the time

Is this the best task killer to use???
Remove this. It's doing you more harm than good.

EDIT: Oh and that's your GPS icon.
Excedio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincy
Posts: 697
 
Device(s): HTC M8
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 152
Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I use advanced task manager(paid the 99 cents) and manually kill apps when I feel it necessary.

Yeah it sounds like it's GPS.
Rdjr74 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 985
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx HD
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 28
Thanked 278 Times in 154 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dguy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime View Post
A big part of the problem could be that you're using a task killer.
This.
dguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
ajiamarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 106
 
Device(s): Droid Charge
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 33
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Task Killer (of any kind) is not necessary on on any of these phones. The phone will automatically end programs it doesn't need. It will do more harm than good.
__________________
If you don't believe in something, you will fall for anything.
ajiamarie is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajiamarie For This Useful Post:
Skipdawg (June 29th, 2010)
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Excedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 295
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, Motorola Droid, Galaxy Tab 7"
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 44 Times in 32 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Excedio asl.lorenzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdjr74 View Post
I use advanced task manager(paid the 99 cents) and manually kill apps when I feel it necessary.

Yeah it sounds like it's GPS.
I hate to tell you this, but you just threw away $.99, luckily only $.99 though.
Excedio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
necosino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,962
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 296
Thanked 341 Times in 257 Posts
Default

What is happening is an app is loading to update your location (could be google Latitude, a weather app, or other such program that updates your location (precise) every so often) However, before it can lock and update, your task killer kills it. So then a few seconds later, it loads back up to update your location again, and the cycle continues.
__________________
Buy me a drink if I helped you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27
Brothers and Sisters of androidforums, I hereby declare this post of thanks to necosino. Let it be known today that he has answered my question with great promptness and accuracy.
necosino is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
TheDanishDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 85
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default

gps, and as get rid of the task manager. Why those are still in the market I have no idea . . .
TheDanishDanger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
callmeox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NE Ahia
Posts: 535
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (stock LTE), Toshiba Thrive (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 552
Thanked 424 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Blame Verizon for the widespread misuse of the task killers. When I called to complain about battery life issues, they recommended ATK. A week or so ago I got an email from VZW with tips and tricks for the INC and one was to install and run ATK.

Some believe the forums and some listen to support. It's a shame that Verizon is perpetuating the myth that a task killer is a useful everyday tool for these phones.
callmeox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 169
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
Blame Verizon for the widespread misuse of the task killers. When I called to complain about battery life issues, they recommended ATK. A week or so ago I got an email from VZW with tips and tricks for the INC and one was to install and run ATK.

Some believe the forums and some listen to support. It's a shame that Verizon is perpetuating the myth that a task killer is a useful everyday tool for these phones.
I don't see how it's not useful. Can someone explain? Like, after 5-10 min of use, at least 20 apps are open when I only opened Pandora and the Internet. Using ATK closes the one's i don't need in like, a second.....
poland626 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
jbuck1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 422
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
jbuck1984
Default

It's not GPS, that is a different ICON, I have the same one it looks like a target. The gps is a half circle with 3 lines coming out of it. I do think someone was right regarding location cause its the same Icon you see within google maps when you hit locate me. If you turn off your location completely it should go away.

Anyone know if this has much affect on the battery?

OH and get rid of task killer, eat the 99 cents. If you need a worthy program that includes a task killer check out system panel app. I rarely use it for any task killing unless I'm ananalyzing app usage.
jbuck1984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
necosino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,962
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 296
Thanked 341 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuck1984 View Post
It's not GPS, that is a different ICON, I have the same one it looks like a target. The gps is a half circle with 3 lines coming out of it. I do think someone was right regarding location cause its the same Icon you see within google maps when you hit locate me. If you turn off your location completely it should go away.

Anyone know if this has much affect on the battery?
The target icon represents e-911. It will always be there, even if you disable location.

The GPS doesn't use any battery when it is enabled but not in use. The only time it uses your battery is when you see the dish icon with the green lines emanating from it. In this case, if on for more than 30 seconds, it will use up a lot of juice, I'd say maybe 2hrs at best with the stock battery at full charge.
necosino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

It means your GPS is transmitting. The crosshair symbol is "location" if it has lines next to it it is on, if it is just a crosshair it is off.
syrne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
nvrfgt343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (VZW) Galaxy Tab (Wifi Only) Kindle Fire HD (Kids)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

OK, what's the icon to the left to the location setting that kind of looks like a kidney bean with waves coming out of it. It doesn't look like the speakerphone icon shown in the manual...did they change it?
nvrfgt343 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
JuniorNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere NEAR Cupertino...North NJ
Posts: 288
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrfgt343 View Post
OK, what's the icon to the left to the location setting that kind of looks like a kidney bean with waves coming out of it. It doesn't look like the speakerphone icon shown in the manual...did they change it?
read above, to the left of that location icon is your GPS icon, its telling you it's tracking satellites. It's a side view of a dish with 3 lines NOT the same as the cross hair with 3 lines.
JuniorNA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 63
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default why task killers are battery killers

Quote:
Originally Posted by poland626 View Post
I don't see how it's not useful. Can someone explain? Like, after 5-10 min of use, at least 20 apps are open when I only opened Pandora and the Internet. Using ATK closes the one's i don't need in like, a second.....
If you are using the "kill all" function, then you are basically restarting your phone every time use it. All of the things that normally run like syncing emails and contacts, "preparing sd card" for use, and other basic operations of the phone are restarted every time you do that.

If you are killing certain applications that you find "opening on their own" after "20 min" then chances are they have permission to be open, such as an RSS feed program. So you are fighting a losing battle, the program will keep re-opening and you will keep killing it. Just an endless cycle resulting in wasted battery, not to mention the task killer program running all the time...
kborer22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
necosino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,962
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 296
Thanked 341 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kborer22 View Post
If you are using the "kill all" function, then you are basically restarting your phone every time use it. All of the things that normally run like syncing emails and contacts, "preparing sd card" for use, and other basic operations of the phone are restarted every time you do that.

If you are killing certain applications that you find "opening on their own" after "20 min" then chances are they have permission to be open, such as an RSS feed program. So you are fighting a losing battle, the program will keep re-opening and you will keep killing it. Just an endless cycle resulting in wasted battery, not to mention the task killer program running all the time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by necosino View Post
What is happening is an app is loading to update your location (could be google Latitude, a weather app, or other such program that updates your location (precise) every so often) However, before it can lock and update, your task killer kills it. So then a few seconds later, it loads back up to update your location again, and the cycle continues.
;-)
necosino is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
callmeox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NE Ahia
Posts: 535
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (stock LTE), Toshiba Thrive (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 552
Thanked 424 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poland626 View Post
I don't see how it's not useful. Can someone explain? Like, after 5-10 min of use, at least 20 apps are open when I only opened Pandora and the Internet. Using ATK closes the one's i don't need in like, a second.....
This has been covered ad nauseum in other threads, so I will give you the short version and you can research further if you wish.

Android processes can be placed in the background where their CPU cost is zero. The operating system is smart enough to manage this without help from an external program.

Killing idle processes will cause the OS to start them up again and this cycle will consume more CPU and power than leaving them alone in the first place.

Android is a "real" operating system. Let it do its thing.
callmeox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
rapidsandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 402
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Pages 25-26 of the User Guide has all of the icons and their meanings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg icons_1.JPG (47.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg icons_2.JPG (59.6 KB, 45 views)
rapidsandroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
necosino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,962
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 296
Thanked 341 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Thanks rapid, but that's definitely not all of them. Someone had compiled them somewhere but I'm too damn busy to search for ya
necosino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

OK, so I got rid of the task killer and got the control panel app which is simply awesome for monitoring and gather data so I will base my actions on facts and not rumours. I will let the phone do its thing for a wile and gauge the battery life.

To end the discussion about what the Icon is, NO its no the standard GPS bullseye, it is the weatherbug elite getting and update on my location (by gps).
madogblue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
novacane (OFWGKTA)
 
woop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The land of palm trees, sunny skies, and sandy beaches
Posts: 5,053
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 776
Thanked 1,548 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Its the hearing aid icon.
woop is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woop For This Useful Post:
nvrfgt343 (July 1st, 2010)
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
necosino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,962
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 296
Thanked 341 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madogblue View Post
To end the discussion about what the Icon is, NO its no the standard GPS bullseye, it is the weatherbug elite getting and update on my location (by gps).
Bullseye = e911, it's always there
Dish w/ green lines = gps active

There's no discussion, that's just what it is
necosino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
nvrfgt343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (VZW) Galaxy Tab (Wifi Only) Kindle Fire HD (Kids)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNA View Post
read above, to the left of that location icon is your GPS icon, its telling you it's tracking satellites. It's a side view of a dish with 3 lines NOT the same as the cross hair with 3 lines.
[Edit] It was the hearing aid icon...I figured out how to turn it off [/Edit]

OT, why can't I delete a post that I made on AF as I can on other VBulletin forums?
nvrfgt343 is offline  
Last edited by nvrfgt343; July 1st, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
necosino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,962
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 296
Thanked 341 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Just PM a guide or mod and they'll delete it if you ask nicely.
necosino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York City, NY
Posts: 311
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 45
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsandroid View Post
Pages 25-26 of the User Guide has all of the icons and their meanings.
Just curious...

I have the Location Setting On symbol, what does this do? how is it different than GPS? and should I/how do I turn it off??


Thanks..
JSS12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,569
 
Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 477
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

the location setting symbol just tells you if you are letting the phone use your gps or if you have the gps set to only be used when you make a call to "911" When GPS is actually being used you will get the little satellite dish appearing next to it. The only way to remove the "location setting" symbol is to root your phone. But there is no reason to turn off the gps, It does not consume more or less battery with it on. The only time GPS uses the battery is when you are seeing that satellite icon.
sdrawkcab25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Droid Incredible > Incredible - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.