Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Infuse 4G > Infuse 4G - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Infuse on Straighttalk

Does the infuse need to be rooted/unlocked to use Straighttalk sim?

botwell is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Mr. Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 (rooted), Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rooted), Nexus 7 (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 184 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by botwell View Post
Does the infuse need to be rooted/unlocked to use Straighttalk sim?
Infuse is incompatible with Straight Talk. The ST network is CDMA, while the Infuse is GSM/HSDPA. Even if you had another GSM phone, it still wouldn't work, because Straight Talk uses TracFones... which are tied to that service even if unlocked.
__________________
Help yourself while helping me: Sign up with Dropbox and we both get 250MB extra space. Thanx!
Mr. Lucky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G (MIUI)(AT&T) HTC Status (Stock) Motorola Triumph (Virgin Mobile) LG Optimus V (
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm currently using my samsung infuse with the new Straight Talk SIMs
I had to unlock my phone though you can do it at cellunlocker .net
young.cricket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Mr. Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 (rooted), Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rooted), Nexus 7 (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 184 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by young.cricket View Post
I'm currently using my samsung infuse with the new Straight Talk SIMs
I had to unlock my phone though you can do it at cellunlocker .net
From Wikipedia:
"Straight Talk now offers service for Android phones: Samsung Galaxy Precedent and LG Optimus Q which can be used with $45 Unlimited plan and make use of the Sprint CDMA network."
Since the Infuse is not a CDMA phone, tell us again how this works...?

Also, from the straighttalk.com TOS:
"If you are using your own unlocked phone with a Straight Talk SIM card, it must be compatible, and not interfere with, our service, and must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. Devices capable only of using data service are strictly prohibited and Your use of any such device is grounds for immediate deactivation and termination of your service without a refund. You are responsible for ensuring that any unlocked wireless phone that you use is compatible with the Straight Talk wireless service and that your phone meets all Federal laws and standards. You are further responsible for the purchase and maintenance of any additional hardware, software and/or internet access required in order to use the Straight Talk service. Straight Talk service will only work with wireless devices that are compatible with our network. Not all services are available with all wireless devices or on all networks. We may remotely change your wireless phone’s software, applications or programming without notice. This could affect your stored data, your phone’s programming and how you are able to use your wireless phone."
It seems pretty clear that they want Android devices limited to their CDMA network, which makes you in violation of the Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up. Good luck with that.
Mr. Lucky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G (MIUI)(AT&T) HTC Status (Stock) Motorola Triumph (Virgin Mobile) LG Optimus V (
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky View Post
From Wikipedia:
"Straight Talk now offers service for Android phones: Samsung Galaxy Precedent and LG Optimus Q which can be used with $45 Unlimited plan and make use of the Sprint CDMA network."
Since the Infuse is not a CDMA phone, tell us again how this works...?

Also, from the straighttalk.com TOS:
"If you are using your own unlocked phone with a Straight Talk SIM card, it must be compatible, and not interfere with, our service, and must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. Devices capable only of using data service are strictly prohibited and Your use of any such device is grounds for immediate deactivation and termination of your service without a refund. You are responsible for ensuring that any unlocked wireless phone that you use is compatible with the Straight Talk wireless service and that your phone meets all Federal laws and standards. You are further responsible for the purchase and maintenance of any additional hardware, software and/or internet access required in order to use the Straight Talk service. Straight Talk service will only work with wireless devices that are compatible with our network. Not all services are available with all wireless devices or on all networks. We may remotely change your wireless phone’s software, applications or programming without notice. This could affect your stored data, your phone’s programming and how you are able to use your wireless phone."
It seems pretty clear that they want Android devices limited to their CDMA network, which makes you in violation of the Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up. Good luck with that.
Support | Straight Talk
Are there any restrictions?
SIM card will only work with an AT&T or T-mobile compatible or unlocked GSM phone. To activate your service, you will need a Straight Talk Unlimited 30-day Service Plan card or credit card. Some data services may not be available with all wireless devices. BlackBerrys and branded TracFone, SafeLink, NET10 or Straight Talk phones will not work with this program. In order for your phone’s data services to work, you must update your APN data settings, also called the Access Point Name. SIM card and Service Plan are not refundable.
young.cricket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Mr. Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,413
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 (rooted), Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rooted), Nexus 7 (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 184 Times in 146 Posts
Default

I'll concede the point, but it does contradict the part I quoted from their site at http://www.straighttalk.com/terms.

Do you know what they mean by "Not all services are available with all wireless devices or on all networks"? Have you found anything not working?
Mr. Lucky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Samsung Infuse 4G (MIUI)(AT&T) HTC Status (Stock) Motorola Triumph (Virgin Mobile) LG Optimus V (
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When I activated it, i called in and they asked what phone ill be using and i told them the Samsung Infuse 4g and they that itd be fine so i think maybe the SIM service isn't associated with normal straighttalk TOS.
The only things that I haven't had working is the AT&T bloat (FamilyMap, Navigator, etc.) I'm guessing they say that to put that not every phone is compatible with GSM or CDMA since they offer both now, but i have no idea.
young.cricket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Infuse 4G > Infuse 4G - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.