Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Inspire 4G > Inspire 4G - Support and Troubleshooting

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default HOW? Logging out of android market...

I recently purchased a new htc inspire device. This is my first experience with android. I created an account to log into the market place. The prob im having , how does one log out of the market place? when i click on the icon it takes me straight in no password etc. i can then click on an app to buy and there is a stored credit card wide open to use. No password to authorize use or anything.I can see my son going in there an buying everything. I know im just not doing something right. Can someone explain the process?

Advertisements
jdwheli is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,867
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 634 Times in 538 Posts
Default

You cant log out of the market. The gmail account you used when you signed in stays logged in on the phone. The only way to do it is to do a factory reset, and start over with logging into whatever account you want.

And if you are worried about your son buying stuff, simple solution, dont let him play with your expensive phone. Or just hide the Market icon so he cant find it.
sitlet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ok

This is one thing i do not like about android. You would think the designers of this software would have enough sense to ask you for a password before purchasing software (like every other site does) what bs it is. I just dont understand why its not setup to input login credentials. Hiding the icon is unacceptaple, this is a security risk. If they were to lazy to implement this feature why didnt they just make it where you would have to input you credit card info each time instead of saving it. At least that would stop unathorized purchases.
jdwheli is offline  
Last edited by jdwheli; March 4th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 905
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate, Viewsonic G-Tablet, B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 99 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwheli View Post
This is one thing i do not like about android. You would think the designers of this software would have enough sense to ask you for a password before purchasing software (like every other site does) what bs it is. I just dont understand why its not setup to input login credentials. Hiding the icon is unacceptaple, this is a security risk. If they were to lazy to implement this feature why didnt they just make it where you would have to input you credit card info each time instead of saving it. At least that would stop unathorized purchases.
You can set a PIN to be entered prior to purchases.
__________________
LG Ally, ClockWorkMod + Velocity 0.4
Samsung Fascinate, EB01 Debloated Deodexed
Viewsonic GTablet, VEGAn 4.1
PSkeptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PSkeptic For This Useful Post:
jdwheli (March 4th, 2011)
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,867
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 634 Times in 538 Posts
Default

Quote:
this is a security risk.
It's NOT a security risk. It's YOUR phone, and it's YOUR responsibility to make sure nobody plays with it and tries to buy things. If you agree to let someone play with your phone, then it's YOUR responsibility to watch them to make sure they dont do anything you dont want them to.

Quote:
why didnt they just make it where you would have to input you credit card info each time instead of saving it.
Because 99% of android users DONT want to have to input their entire credit card info every single time they buy an app.
sitlet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,490
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Tab 7" 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 7,156
Thanked 9,265 Times in 5,119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwheli View Post
I recently purchased a new htc inspire device. This is my first experience with android. I created an account to log into the market place. The prob im having , how does one log out of the market place? when i click on the icon it takes me straight in no password etc. i can then click on an app to buy and there is a stored credit card wide open to use. No password to authorize use or anything.I can see my son going in there an buying everything. I know im just not doing something right. Can someone explain the process?
As suggested by Pskeptic, use the pin feature for purchases; that will solve the unwanted purchase issue.

Also, if you think about it, their system is more secure keeping the credit/debit card info than having users input it and send it out with each transaction.
__________________



Frisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,279
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 39
Thanked 266 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
It's NOT a security risk. It's YOUR phone, and it's YOUR responsibility to make sure nobody plays with it and tries to buy things. If you agree to let someone play with your phone, then it's YOUR responsibility to watch them to make sure they dont do anything you dont want them to.



Because 99% of android users DONT want to have to input their entire credit card info every single time they buy an app.
You don't have any children I suppose?

I just don't see why android can't have a password feature like Apple does. I have tried using security apps like ES Security Manager that can lock apps. But the problem with 3rd party apps is that the android process manager sometimes kills them off, making them useless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
As suggested by Pskeptic, use the pin feature for purchases; that will solve the unwanted purchase issue.

Also, if you think about it, their system is more secure keeping the credit/debit card info than having users input it and send it out with each transaction.
And how do you set it just for the market? I can't find any settings for market pin lock on my phone. The only pin lock I can find is the lock screen pin lock and the sim card lock.
snapper.fishes is offline  
Last edited by snapper.fishes; March 4th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 826
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 50 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
You cant log out of the market. The gmail account you used when you signed in stays logged in on the phone. The only way to do it is to do a factory reset, and start over with logging into whatever account you want.

And if you are worried about your son buying stuff, simple solution, dont let him play with your expensive phone. Or just hide the Market icon so he cant find it.
menu>settings>accounts and sync...from here you can turn off background data(needed to access the market)) and manage the account signed in
MyNamesTooLong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
DexTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 212
 
Device(s): Nexus S running 4.1.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

What about signing in with a different account?

Say for example, I lsoe the password to my account or something and have to make a new one, can I sign in with the new one?
DexTyler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hiding behind a mystery
 
Roze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Where the Sakura grows
Posts: 9,847
 
Device(s): Moto Atrix [lovin'] Nexus One [Lost] LG Vu [Lost]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 809
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNamesTooLong View Post
menu>settings>accounts and sync...from here you can turn off background data(needed to access the market)) and manage the account signed in
By disabling background data, are you not also stopping gmail, facebook, twitter and any other apps that sync?
__________________
Sign up with Dropbox using my referral and get an additional 1/2GB on top of the 2GB you get for signing up http://db.tt/YbULMZX

Many thanks,
Roze
Roze is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 905
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate, Viewsonic G-Tablet, B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 99 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper.fishes View Post
You don't have any children I suppose?

I just don't see why android can't have a password feature like Apple does. I have tried using security apps like ES Security Manager that can lock apps. But the problem with 3rd party apps is that the android process manager sometimes kills them off, making them useless.




And how do you set it just for the market? I can't find any settings for market pin lock on my phone. The only pin lock I can find is the lock screen pin lock and the sim card lock.
I have to correct myself, I swore I saw the PIN requirement setting when you add a credit card to your android market account, but can't seem to find it now.

Personally, I just lock my phone. If they can't unlock it, they can't buy things.
PSkeptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a quick question.... I just purcahsed a Driod Bionic... singed in using my google email account... which was working great and today for some weird reason, when I went to the droid market it's using my Youtube email address as my account which is NOT what I originally used. I only signed into youtube a yesterday? And not only is us using my youtube email address it's using "myusername@youtube.com" for my email address???? I'm confused?
mvaller00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hiding behind a mystery
 
Roze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Where the Sakura grows
Posts: 9,847
 
Device(s): Moto Atrix [lovin'] Nexus One [Lost] LG Vu [Lost]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 809
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaller00 View Post
I have a quick question.... I just purcahsed a Driod Bionic... singed in using my google email account... which was working great and today for some weird reason, when I went to the droid market it's using my Youtube email address as my account which is NOT what I originally used. I only signed into youtube a yesterday? And not only is us using my youtube email address it's using "myusername@youtube.com" for my email address???? I'm confused?
Hi mvaller If you are in the Market app, press menu and select accounts. You should be able to see you gmail account. Select that. For some reason, I notice that the market would switch between your various accounts (I have 2 gmails)
Roze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNamesTooLong View Post
menu>settings>accounts and sync...from here you can turn off background data(needed to access the market)) and manage the account signed in
Thanks i almost restored my whole tablet untill i saw this post
dreamreaper is offline  
Last edited by Frisco; December 31st, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
It's NOT a security risk. It's YOUR phone, and it's YOUR responsibility to make sure nobody plays with it and tries to buy things. If you agree to let someone play with your phone, then it's YOUR responsibility to watch them to make sure they dont do anything you dont want them to.
I disagree - it's a substantial security risk!

If someone nicks my phone, and I don't have quick access to the internet to disable my account, I don't want them being able to buy stuff with it on my credit card!

Yes I have security on my phone, but the whole point of having different passwords on different accounts is that someone shouldn't be able to access everything just by cracking one of them!

Also, the pattern-swipe phone login which I prefer to use is less safe anyway, because it leaves greasy finger marks on the screen which are not that difficult to follow.

If people want to stay logged in to the Android market then they should be able to, but it's ridiculous not to give people the option to log out!
DanKing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hiding behind a mystery
 
Roze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Where the Sakura grows
Posts: 9,847
 
Device(s): Moto Atrix [lovin'] Nexus One [Lost] LG Vu [Lost]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 809
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKing View Post
If people want to stay logged in to the Android market then they should be able to, but it's ridiculous not to give people the option to log out!
As you can't log out of the Android Market, you can put a password on it. I haven't tried it but there's an app call App Lock that will lock any app on your phone including the market.
Roze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Inspire 4G > Inspire 4G - Support and Troubleshooting
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.