Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4 > (International) Galaxy S4 - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree30Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Bully74uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 187
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 29 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Hi there
Just to confirm.
My firmware is currently MGG, can this version be unrooted back to stock without any issues for warranty void or will the Knox Security still detect the flashing and possibly void my warranty should I have to return the phone ?

Thanks.

Bully74uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully74uk View Post
Hi there
Just to confirm.
My firmware is currently MGG, can this version be unrooted back to stock without any issues for warranty void or will the Knox Security still detect the flashing and possibly void my warranty should I have to return the phone ?

Thanks.
Hi Bully74uk!

Things on the Knox front have been moving very swiftly over the last 48 hours.

Here is the latest wisdom on rooting a post MGG firmware that has a locked bootloader and Knox Security.

1. The methods described in post #2, CF-Root and PhilZ Recovery, will, currently, blow the Knox counter as per #2.6...

"Note: This will not reset the separate Knox security counter that is included in the latest firmwares... nothing will.

and the warning in #4.6...

"Rooting your phone could, in theory, void your warranty."

The reason I use, "in theory", is that no one has, AFAIK, been refused warranty because of the Knox counter and non-Knox users can use Triangle Away..

2. In the light of recent advances made by a developer called DjeMBeY, it is now possible to flash one of his Mega ROMs to root and obtain a custom recovery.

See post #1 of...

I9505 XXUEMJ5 JB 4.3><MEGA 0x0<>Pre-Rooted STOCK ROM's><Odin/CWM><Odex/DeOdex>

However, even this is not guaranteed to work as there have been reports of it increasing the Knox counter but hopefully the dev will sort this out soon.

3. If you are at all worried about blowing the Knox counter I would suggest hanging fire on rooting until the dust settles. As they used to put on those old maps... "'ere be dragons!"

See, also, Locked bootloader & Knox security on latest firmwares

I have edited post #1 to try and make the Knox situation clearer.
dynomot likes this.
__________________
Did you know that hitting the Thanks button is quicker than typing it and the Search button is your friend.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
ironass is offline  
Last edited by ironass; October 19th, 2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: update for further info
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
Bully74uk (October 20th, 2013)
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks for the great guide. I successfully rooted and installed CWM following the instructions without any problem. I installed ROM manager and adjusted the settings as suggested. Then I thought I had better do a nandroid backup before anything else, but the phone won't boot into recovery, and now it won't boot up normally either. All I get is a stuck screen with the tiny blue text saying recovery booting (I think, it's so small) and the frozen Samsung animation. I've spent ages looking for a solution to this and am not sure how to unbrick the phone. I've pulled the battery a few times but that doesn't help. It can start in download mode but that's about all. Attached shows the version etc before I rooted, I haven't attempted to flash any ROM. Any suggestions as to how I can revive the phone please? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png pre root version.png (28.5 KB, 17 views)
Pygathrix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygathrix View Post
Thanks for the great guide. I successfully rooted and installed CWM following the instructions without any problem. I installed ROM manager and adjusted the settings as suggested. Then I thought I had better do a nandroid backup before anything else, but the phone won't boot into recovery, and now it won't boot up normally either. All I get is a stuck screen with the tiny blue text saying recovery booting (I think, it's so small) and the frozen Samsung animation. I've spent ages looking for a solution to this and am not sure how to unbrick the phone. I've pulled the battery a few times but that doesn't help. It can start in download mode but that's about all. Attached shows the version etc before I rooted, I haven't attempted to flash any ROM. Any suggestions as to how I can revive the phone please? Thanks
Hi Pygathrix!

From your screenshot I can see that you are on firmware version MJ7, Android 4.3, which has a locked bootloader and Knox security.

You're phone is not, "bricked", as you can get into Download mode. Therefore, I suggest that you download the stock Samsung firmware for your, "Version", details, as per #2.0, and flash them via Odin by following the instructions in #1.5 of 18 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?. This should get you up and running and back to your pre-rooted state although, it will not reset your Knox flag.

Alternatively, if yor Knox flag is at 0x1, (as I suspect it will be, see #1.4 of Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares), you can try using a later version, say 5.18.9, of PhilZ recovery.
ironass is offline  
Last edited by ironass; November 17th, 2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
Pygathrix (November 18th, 2013)
Old November 18th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #55 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Hi Pygathrix!

From your screenshot I can see that you are on firmware version MJ7, Android 4.3, which has a locked bootloader and Knox security.

You're phone is not, "bricked", as you can get into Download mode. Therefore, I suggest that you download the stock Samsung firmware for your, "Version", details, as per #2.0, and flash them via Odin by following the instructions in #1.5 of 18 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?. This should get you up and running and back to your pre-rooted state although, it will not reset your Knox flag.

Alternatively, if yor Knox flag is at 0x1, (as I suspect it will be, see #1.4 of Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares), you can try using a later version, say 5.18.9, of PhilZ recovery.
Thank you ironass.
I managed this ok soon after i had posted as I lost my bottle and couldn't think what else to do.
I spent days preparing to root my old HTC Desire which was much more complicated than Odin, so I thought this would be straightforward. Now I have an unrooted stock phone with a poss/prob voided warranty only 6 months into a 2yr contract. Grand.

I'm still not sure why it wouldn't boot into recovery, is that because of Knox? I thought all that Knox did was void the warranty but you could still root and flash. If I use a later version of Philz should I be able to boot into recovery, flash ROMs etc? Many thanks
Pygathrix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygathrix View Post
Now I have an unrooted stock phone with a poss/prob voided warranty only 6 months into a 2yr contract. Grand.
I'm afraid that rooting and flashing a custom recovery on your Android 4.3 firmware was always going to blow the Knox counter, as per the warning in post #1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
(***Caveat: On firmware releases for the GT-i9505, that are post MGG, locked bootloader and Knox security enabled, the following instructions will, currently, result in the Knox security flag being increased. See, Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares)
Quote:
I'm still not sure why it wouldn't boot into recovery, is that because of Knox? I thought all that Knox did was void the warranty but you could still root and flash. If I use a later version of Philz should I be able to boot into recovery, flash ROMs etc? Many thanks
As per the link in the above warning to those with Knox enabled firmware, it also has a locked bootloader as well. Your main problem is that you could not access recovery, which can be tricky for newcomers at the best of times, (hence the video), to do a cache and dalvik wipe. If you were to attempt it again with the same, or later, PhilZ recovery I would recommend doing this after boot. Perhaps try a practice of going into recovery on stock firmware first, by following the instructions in #2.5.

Alternatively, you could flash a stock, pre-rooted ROM, such as DjeMBeY's latest MJ9 version, via Odin as your Knox flag can only be tripped once.

See, Pre-Rooted STOCK FW - Odex - KNOX 0x1 in post #1 of the DjeMBeY thread.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
Pygathrix (November 21st, 2013), worldgonemad (November 24th, 2013)
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #57 (permalink)
New Member
 
worldgonemad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. UnRooted. Stock ROM J.B. 4.3. Baseband: MJ7. Kernel: 3.4.0-1765174
Carrier: Meteor Locked, IRL

Thanks: 26
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Hi ironass...brand new noob fresh meat here! ...Rather than ask any stupid noob questions off the bat, I mainly wanted to just say THANK YOU!. I started looking into rooting my i9505 four days ago and haven't slept since! Have spent every waking moment going through your guides, reading up on the terminology and scanning the forums here and at xda...

I didn't want to skip a step so I read and re-read your guide. At the risk of sounding like a kiss ass (kiss ironass!) I wanted to say what an awesome guide you've written. Between this guide and the one on Philz CWM and the other basic guides explaining the terminology and all about rooting... they are a goldmine. I can see how much time and effort must have gone into the whole thing.... my god, I thought I knew a lot about technology before I came here, but the more I read your stuff and the guys at xda, the more I realise how little I knew! So i'm determined to learn as much as possible to get the most out of this phone.

My intention is to ultimately flash the latest Echoe ROM. But don't want to do that until i'm 100% sure i'm not going to brick my phone!

I've downloaded and flashed CF Auto Root, Philz Touch, Echoe ROM, and all the apps you suggested. So just trying to get my head around it all... I figured out too late that my phone was one of the first to get the Knox "gift"! so I understand the implications - i don't really care about the phone not being in warranty. But I assume that because it has this security lock that the CF Auto Root method won't work?

I've gone through DjeMBeY's stuff now too and downloaded the DeOdex Knoxfree superslim pre-rooted rom. I understand from your latest posts that this should root the phone successfully? (i've already tripped the knox 0x1 so i don't care what happens after that).
worldgonemad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello and welcome to Android Forums worldgonemad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldgonemad View Post
Hi ironass...brand new noob fresh meat here! ...Rather than ask any stupid noob questions off the bat, I mainly wanted to just say THANK YOU!. I started looking into rooting my i9505 four days ago and haven't slept since! Have spent every waking moment going through your guides, reading up on the terminology and scanning the forums here and at xda...

I didn't want to skip a step so I read and re-read your guide. At the risk of sounding like a kiss ass (kiss ironass!) I wanted to say what an awesome guide you've written. Between this guide and the one on Philz CWM and the other basic guides explaining the terminology and all about rooting... they are a goldmine. I can see how much time and effort must have gone into the whole thing.... my god, I thought I knew a lot about technology before I came here, but the more I read your stuff and the guys at xda, the more I realise how little I knew! So i'm determined to learn as much as possible to get the most out of this phone.

My intention is to ultimately flash the latest Echoe ROM. But don't want to do that until i'm 100% sure i'm not going to brick my phone!

I've downloaded and flashed CF Auto Root, Philz Touch, Echoe ROM, and all the apps you suggested. So just trying to get my head around it all... I figured out too late that my phone was one of the first to get the Knox "gift"! so I understand the implications - i don't really care about the phone not being in warranty. But I assume that because it has this security lock that the CF Auto Root method won't work?

I've gone through DjeMBeY's stuff now too and downloaded the DeOdex Knoxfree superslim pre-rooted rom. I understand from your latest posts that this should root the phone successfully? (i've already tripped the knox 0x1 so i don't care what happens after that).
Thank you for those kind words. It means a lot to me, stuck here in the cellar at Android Forums Towers. Fed only on gruel and scraps by the Mods and Guides, when they remember.

The hardest part about writing those guides is trying to make them idiot proof... Oh! and sobering up.

I predict that you will go far in rooting as you seem to have already mastered the two main skills that some people lack...

1. Reading. I wish I had a 1 for every time that someone posted on one of the Dummies Guides... "I followed all your instructions", only to discover that they hadn't!

2. Searching. The Search feature in the forum coupled with Google search are both wonderful tools that are totally under used.

I think that choosing to root a Knox enabled stock firmware using the pre-rooted DjeMBeY ROM is the right way to go and the latest offering, MK8, is proving to be outstanding for me and I certainly recommend it.

Good luck old boy!
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
worldgonemad (November 25th, 2013)
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #59 (permalink)
New Member
 
worldgonemad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. UnRooted. Stock ROM J.B. 4.3. Baseband: MJ7. Kernel: 3.4.0-1765174
Carrier: Meteor Locked, IRL

Thanks: 26
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Thank you for those kind words. It means a lot to me, stuck here in the cellar at Android Forums Towers. Fed only on gruel and scraps by the Mods and Guides, when they remember.
Do those towers have central heating? At least you have your two cohorts trained to throw you down a few scraps of meat and gruel every few days. You think you have it bad?.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I think that choosing to root a Knox enabled stock firmware using the pre-rooted DjeMBeY ROM is the right way to go and the latest offering, MK8, is proving to be outstanding for me and I certainly recommend it.
Before I go entering these dark DjeMBeY waters can you say definitively that I will gain root status and not be hindered by the knox flag (now at 0x1)? I know i'm not the only one wondering this.... if there is any way to say for certain now that we can still have a fully rooted post-knox handset?

I did read the two main Knox threads on XDA -

1. [RESEARCH] Samsung Knox: Warranty Void Behavior - xda-developers

2. [Q&A][i9505] Knox Q&A / Discussion Thread - ask questions here! - xda-developers

The discussions seem mostly theoretical and people speculating as to the implications, together with a melee of conspiracy theorists! It makes for comical reading but even after a search, I'm none the wiser. Others have asked the same question too.

It follows from your guide that if you follow it by the letter and you have the knox-locked bootloader that you will stumble at the first hurdle. Even with DjeMBeY's guides and various ROM's, its still not clear as to what may happen. Especially if you don't want to just take a chance and risk doing something that will later prove irreversible!

In which case, are there are any vacancies for cellar cleaner duties?

Edit: just wanted to add that I read your thread here: Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares

Should I have posted this query there instead? it seemed relevant here too...

I read exactly what was said there and the conclusions about voiding the warranty, tripping the flag and not being able to go back etc. I really just wanted to know if its possible to pinpoint whether it can now be determined if a knox-tripped user can still go ahead and root their device? and which of the DjeMBeY ROM's works best?

eg: this one? -
Quote:
I9505XXUEMK8-PRE-ROOTED-KNOX-FREE-ODEX-FULL.rar
or -
Quote:
I9505XXUEMK8-PRE-ROOTED-Odex-KNOXFree-CWM.zip
or -
Quote:
I9505XXUEMK8-PRE-ROOTED-DeOdex-KNOXFree-SupeSlim-CWM.zip
This noob is confused!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGA0810.JPG (45.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-11-25-09-10-20.png (18.9 KB, 8 views)
worldgonemad is offline  
Last edited by worldgonemad; November 25th, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldgonemad View Post
Before I go entering these dark DjeMBeY waters can you say definitively that I will gain root status and not be hindered by the knox flag (now at 0x1)? I know i'm not the only one wondering this.... if there is any way to say for certain now that we can still have a fully rooted post-knox handset?
First and foremost let me say that I am not on Knox firmware and cannot and have not, tested these methods for rooting Knox enabled firmware myself. Like you, I have to rely on other peoples reports and findings.

The Knox flag, which you have already tripped somehow, will not hinder you. It is the locked bootloader that means you need to flash via Odin, the opposite of myself on non Knox.

I would strongly suggest that as per #2.0 of this guide, you download the stock Samsung firmware for your handset from SamMobile and have it on standby to flash with Odin, just in case in case anything does go wrong. Also, make sure you back everything up prior to flashing. A belt and braces approach, if you like.

Mentions of the Knox flag and bootloader being irreversible are correct. Once you have them it is a one way street. The fact that you cannot revert to Android 4.2.2 is immaterial therefore. However, you can flash the stock firmware mentioned above if need be.

As per #2.10 of the DjeMBeY ROM's i9505 - Dummies Guide, you cannot flash a CWM ROM unless you are already rooted and have a custom recovery installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
#2.10. Flashing DjeMBeY's, "GT-I9505 Modified & Stock ROMs - CWM/TWRP/PhilZ flashable ZIP:", ROM

This method is for those who are already rooted and have a Custom Recovery, see Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide, and wish to install the DjeMBeY CWM flashable ROMs.

Therefore you are restricted to the Full stock pre-rooted or Modified pre-rooted, (Slim), ROMs, #1.1 and #1.2 in the guide and must use the Odin flashing method in #2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
#1.7. For more details, instructions, technical questions and downloads you can visit DjeMBeY's forum site, here:-

I9505 Pre-Rooted Stock ROMs Odin/CWM
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
worldgonemad (November 25th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CafeKampuchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,678
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500, Google Nexus 7 16GB Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanks: 1,125
Thanked 1,128 Times in 564 Posts
Default

I want to make sure I understand this Knox issue before rooting. I'm presently on 4.2.2. If I root, my status changes to "Custom" and because I have an i9500 I can't use Triangle Away to reset the flash counter and get back to "Official." That being the case, I then can't update to 4.3 via OTA and may even have trouble with Kies, but if I use Odin and flash manually, the Knox bit gets tripped. Is that about right?
CafeKampuchia is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Hi CafeKampuchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
I want to make sure I understand this Knox issue before rooting. I'm presently on 4.2.2. If I root, my status changes to "Custom" and because I have an i9500 I can't use Triangle Away to reset the flash counter and get back to "Official."
Correct. Triangle Away does not work on the i9500 I'm afraid. A USB jig may, on 4.2.2, reset the normal Samsung flash counter however.

Quote:
That being the case, I then can't update to 4.3 via OTA and may even have trouble with Kies,
Just using the CF-Auto-Root kernel should allow Kies to update. Flashing a custom recovery or ROM will negate that though.

Quote:
but if I use Odin and flash manually, the Knox bit gets tripped. Is that about right?
You can flash a stock Samsung firmware by un-rooting and flashing a stock, 4.2.2 ROM and then updating to a stock 4.3 or, alternatively, you can retain 4.2.2 and seek out a custom ROM for 4.3 that has no bootloader or Knox installed and flash it via CWM/TWRP recovery but not Odin. As you know, the Knox counter is not the bogeyman that it once was as far as warranty is concerned however, if your work requires a secure Knox flag, 0x0, then custom ROMs and recoveries are out I'm afraid.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
CafeKampuchia (December 14th, 2013)
Old December 14th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CafeKampuchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,678
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500, Google Nexus 7 16GB Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanks: 1,125
Thanked 1,128 Times in 564 Posts
Default

Thanks for the clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Triangle Away does not work on the i9500 I'm afraid. A USB jig may, on 4.2.2, reset the normal Samsung flash counter however.
I don't know where to find one of those in the rice fields of Cambodia. Can one be rigged from bamboo and spare bicycle parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Just using the CF-Auto-Root kernel should allow Kies to update. Flashing a custom recovery or ROM will negate that though.
I plan on flashing a custom 4.3 ROM to avoid flashing a locked Knox bootloader, which is why I knew that option was off the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
You can flash a stock Samsung firmware by un-rooting and flashing a stock, 4.2.2 ROM and then updating to a stock 4.3 or, alternatively, you can retain 4.2.2 and seek out a custom ROM for 4.3 that has no bootloader or Knox installed and flash it via CWM/TWRP recovery but not Odin. As you know, the Knox counter is not the bogeyman that it once was as far as warranty is concerned however, if your work requires a secure Knox flag, 0x0, then custom ROMs and recoveries are out I'm afraid.
I'm wanting to ensure that I can safely flash to official 4.3/4.4 in the future while preserving 0x0, so Odin is a no go. On the S4, will OTA or Kies still work if the flash counter ≠ 0 thus device status is custom? I've had problems doing this with my Note 8.0, but I can still update via Odin with no consequences because it doesn't have the Knox pox and TriangleAway works too.
CafeKampuchia is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #64 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
I'm wanting to ensure that I can safely flash to official 4.3/4.4 in the future while preserving 0x0, so Odin is a no go.
Yes, stick to only ROMs that are Knox/bootloader free and recovery flashable.

Quote:
On the S4, will OTA or Kies still work if the flash counter ≠ 0 thus device status is custom? I've had problems doing this with my Note 8.0, but I can still update via Odin with no consequences because it doesn't have the Knox pox and TriangleAway works too.
Knox does not affect your ability to receive Samsung firmware updates. However, a custom ROM could. For instance, DjeMBeY on the i9505 advertises that some of his stock, rooted, ROMs will still allow updates. You could try hunting for something similar for your model, alternatively, you could, if you wish, use Odin to flash a Samsung stock firmware, Knox and all.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
CafeKampuchia (December 15th, 2013)
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Since installing this root............my video recorder has stopped working....any ideas?
01gringo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gringo View Post
Since installing this root............my video recorder has stopped working....any ideas?
See #4.3 and #4.4.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM   #67 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Apologies Iron!

Model is GT-I9505
Android version 4.3

I've installed the above root and now my video recorder has stopped working.

the message I receive is: Currently unable to start recording because there are not sufficient video codec resource. End active video application at task manager.

I've tried posting on the support but am struggling........I thought I'd try here as it happened after the root.

Regards
01gringo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:11 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gringo View Post
Apologies Iron!

Model is GT-I9505
Android version 4.3

I've installed the above root and now my video recorder has stopped working.

the message I receive is: Currently unable to start recording because there are not sufficient video codec resource. End active video application at task manager.

I've tried posting on the support but am struggling........I thought I'd try here as it happened after the root.

Regards
Not the rooting of the phone that has caused that problem as you state, here, that video was working after root...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gringo View Post
The phone worked recording things whilst rooted. But for some reason has just stopped.
Try flashing the stock Samsung firmware for your phone, check video and then re-root.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #69 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass
.
Awesome guide mate. Really easy to follow steps, exactly what I need.

Problem is, I have a Galaxy S4 Active (Australian version). I know there is a way to root, and install custom ROMs on the Active, but unfortunately I cannot find an easy to follow guide like yours, only guides where the author used broken English to try to teach other people.

Although they did their best to try and help others, I just dont feel confident enough following one of their guides. Your guide on the other hand is so straight to the point and non-complex.

Is there any chance you would know an easy to read guide for rooting and installing custom ROMs on an Active?

Or if the steps are basically the exact same as the Original S4's steps, could you point me the the files I would need for the S4?

I just wont to make sure I am downloading the safest files and using the safest method.

Once again, what an awesome guide, if only I could find one for the Active.

Thanks, PR.

Edit; if these help;

Model#: GT-I9295
Android Version: 4.2.2
BB Version: AMF7
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-957941
ProbablyRaging is offline  
Last edited by ProbablyRaging; December 26th, 2013 at 05:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Hello and welcome to Android Forums ProbablyRaging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post
Is there any chance you would know an easy to read guide for rooting and installing custom ROMs on an Active?
I am afraid that you cannot, as stated in #1.0, use this guide on the Active.

There is a step-by-step guide to rooting the Active and installing CWM recovery, here:-

Install CWM Recovery and Root Samsung Galaxy S4 Active GT-I9295 [Guide]

For further help, hints and tips, you could try the Active Root Forum on here:-

Galaxy S4 Active - All Things Root - Android Forums

Hope that points you in the right direction.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #71 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Hello and welcome to Android Forums ProbablyRaging!



I am afraid that you cannot, as stated in #1.0, use this guide on the Active.

There is a step-by-step guide to rooting the Active and installing CWM recovery, here:-

Install CWM Recovery and Root Samsung Galaxy S4 Active GT-I9295 [Guide]

For further help, hints and tips, you could try the Active Root Forum on here:-

Galaxy S4 Active - All Things Root - Android Forums

Hope that points you in the right direction.
That is perfect mate, thank you!

I don't know if you have ventured into the world of rooting an Active yet, but I do have a few further questions. If you are unable to answer any of them just say so.

In the first link you gave me, it shows step for installing CWM Recovery 1st, and then it shows how to root the device. Am i wrong in saying I should be rooting the device before trying to install CWM? Or do I have it the wrong way around?

Also, are you saying that it is impossible to install custom ROMs on the Active? My main reason for rooting the device is purely to flash a Debloated ROM. If I am unable to do that then I probably wont go ahead.

Thanks again. PR.
ProbablyRaging is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post
I don't know if you have ventured into the world of rooting an Active yet, but I do have a few further questions. If you are unable to answer any of them just say so.
Not the foggiest idea old boy. Never even seen the Active.

Quote:
Also, are you saying that it is impossible to install custom ROMs on the Active? My main reason for rooting the device is purely to flash a Debloated ROM. If I am unable to do that then I probably wont go ahead.
I've never said that it was impossible to install custom ROMs on the Active, or de-bloat it.

Your questions would be better asked on the Active forum that I linked you to.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

I have edited post #2 to reflect the use of the latest PhilZ Custom Recoveries and have updated the links as well as recommending the use of Nandroid Manager and Online Nandroid Backup in preference to ROM Manager, which no longer seems to play nicely with the latest releases of PhilZ recovery.


UPDATE The latest PhilZ recovery for the i9505, v6.10.6, now does play nicely with ROM Manager.
ironass is offline  
Last edited by ironass; January 24th, 2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: latest release & ROM Manager
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
Szarko (January 31st, 2014)
Old January 31st, 2014, 04:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9500, Android Version: 4.2.2, Build Number: i9500XXUBMH1,
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey ironass, really great post.

Greatly appreciate the effort you put into your guides.

I was wondering a few things:

1. Why those choice of kernels? Are there better rooted kernels? How much difference does one kernel make from another?

For a user never having had another kernel besides what comes with his stock phone, what difference is he expected to notice besides now having root.

2. Why do you have to have the custom recovery? And why your choice of the PhilZ one? Do you regard this as the best out there right now?
Is a custom recovery simply something that helps you setup certain features of your device pre-boot?

I plan of using all the software you listed in your post (hope those links are to the latest versions).

I ask these questions not just because of your post, but because I respect your opinion based on your very knowledgeable posts, being a noob to custom ROMS, custom recoveries, kernels, root etc.. I simply have no idea how I would identify what makes one better then another, what to look for, what not to look for, like someone who puts backdoors in their software and you won't ever know.

Thank you again for your great work.
Szarko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarko View Post
I was wondering a few things:

1. Why those choice of kernels? Are there better rooted kernels? How much difference does one kernel make from another?

For a user never having had another kernel besides what comes with his stock phone, what difference is he expected to notice besides now having root.
Those are just the rooting kernels for stock firmware. There are lots of other kernels listed in the forum that may be better, depending on your ROM you choose to install.

Quote:
2. Why do you have to have the custom recovery? And why your choice of the PhilZ one? Do you regard this as the best out there right now?
Is a custom recovery simply something that helps you setup certain features of your device pre-boot?
As per #2.7...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
There are a number of ways of installing a custom recovery to your phone but this is the easiest method so far and will give you one of the best touch, CWM, recoveries around.
See, also, #1.0 of the PhilZ CWM Recovery - Dummies Guide for more details.

Quote:
I ask these questions not just because of your post, but because I respect your opinion based on your very knowledgeable posts, being a noob to custom ROMS, custom recoveries, kernels, root etc.. I simply have no idea how I would identify what makes one better then another, what to look for, what not to look for, like someone who puts backdoors in their software and you won't ever know.
See #3.1 for a list of some recommended ROMs.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:04 AM   #76 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
anoniemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Button Moon
Posts: 1,445
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC Wildfire S. Previous devices: HTC One X, HTC Desire
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 36
Thanked 219 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Is anyone working on unlocking the bootloader & if so how long do you think before a solution becomes available.

I must say i am dissappointed with Samsung for going down the locked bootloader route too, i thought they were on the side of Devs & custom roms.
__________________
Sign up for a free 5GB Ubuntu One account, use this link & we both get an extra 500mb free https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/4021650/

Sign up for a free 2gb Dropbox account use this link & get an extra 500mb free http://db.tt/L0HnVSEh
anoniemouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:15 AM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
ironass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cotswolds, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,007
 
Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoniemouse View Post
Is anyone working on unlocking the bootloader & if so how long do you think before a solution becomes available.

I must say i am dissappointed with Samsung for going down the locked bootloader route too, i thought they were on the side of Devs & custom roms.
See #4.4.
ironass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4 > (International) Galaxy S4 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.