Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (International / GSM) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #451 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default What method would be most appropriate for installing Ubuntu and still receive ICS updates?

My SGN is arriving in a few days, and my main reason for rooting is the ability to install Ubuntu on the phone as per this guide:

[APP][1.6+] Ubuntu Install Guide - Testers wanted - xda-developers

Apart from this, I might use one or two apps that require root access on my HTC Desire (Transparent proxies, VNC and SSH servers).

If I understand the posts in this thread correctly, I should use the "soft" CWM approach in order to install the su binaries without altering the stock recovery partition. This should enable future ICS updates from Google without loosing root access.

Are there any disadvantages of using this method instead of flashing the CWM recovery? I have never used CWM on a phone with a stock ROM, but I remember updating CM7 directly through the app. Would this also be possible with stock ICS updates?

nrabett is offline  
Last edited by nrabett; January 5th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #452 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrabett View Post
My SGN is arriving in a few days, and my main reason for rooting is the ability to install Ubuntu on the phone as per this guide:

[APP][1.6+] Ubuntu Install Guide - Testers wanted - xda-developers

Apart from this, I might use one or two apps that require root access on my HTC Desire (Transparent proxies, VNC and SSH servers).

If I understand the posts in this thread correctly, I should use the "soft" CWM approach in order to install the su binaries without altering the stock recovery partition. This should enable future ICS updates from Google without loosing root access.

Are there any disadvantages of using this method instead of flashing the CWM recovery? I have never used CWM on a phone with a stock ROM, but I remember updating CM7 directly through the app. Would this also be possible with stock ICS updates?
Welcome to the AndroidForums, nrabett.

I'll take a peek at that Ubuntu thread here in a bit (I've got it installed on a laptop that I'd like to learn how to get things connected and rooted from there (I tried making the USB connections the first weekend after launch, but didn't have too much luck)).

Well, soft-booting CWM will indeed keep your stock recovery intact and will allow an OTA to be applied without having to flash your recovery back to stock (not a really hard task, by the way). The OTA will come in to your phone and you could delay its installation until you've had a chance to re-flash the stock recovery.

You'd mostly want to flash CWM if you plan on needing to have access to CWM away from your computer--although you could always quickly flash CWM via ROM Manager, too in a pinch.

Not having a stock recovery on my phone doesn't worry me one bit since there's a couple of ways to re-flash back to stock (and its especially easy if you have to get the CWM install to "stick" by having to rename your /system/recovery-from-boot.p file (you'd simply rename it back to its original name and Android will automatically re-flash the stock recovery for you).

Hope that helps .

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #453 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaap1 View Post
i downloaded all the proper sdk tools and usb files (the naked one)
and my cmd is still not recognizing my device when i use the fastboot devices command
Welcome to the AndroidForums, hondaap1.

Check out this post re. installing the USB drivers:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/474570-how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736590

Its got a lot of detailed information inside the "Show" button.

Hope that helps...let us know.

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #454 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default recovery mode

Hi i was wondering if any of you know what i did wrong ? i rooted the samsung galaxy nexus and everything went fine but when i go into recovery mode the little green man gets this big icon above him i found this stops me from flashing Rom's can you tell me what i have done wrong and what i can do to fix it
cheers thank alot!
StevDwonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #455 (permalink)
Usually off topic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: FG
Posts: 10,465
 
Device(s): Gnex N7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2,166
Thanked 4,976 Times in 3,268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevDwonk View Post
Hi i was wondering if any of you know what i did wrong ? i rooted the samsung galaxy nexus and everything went fine but when i go into recovery mode the little green man gets this big icon above him i found this stops me from flashing Rom's can you tell me what i have done wrong and what i can do to fix it
cheers thank alot!
Welcome to AF StevDwonk!

I believe your recovery is either being rewritten as the stock recovery. Check /system to see if you have a "recovery-from-boot.p" file in there. If you have that file then CWM will not stick. I would suggest renaming it "recovery-from-boot.p.old" then flash CWM again and it should stick for you.

You can either flash CMW via fastboot or just download rom manager and let it flash it once you open it.
__________________
Forum Gaming
Yeahha is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeahha For This Useful Post:
Flavoristic (January 11th, 2012), StevDwonk (January 9th, 2012)
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #456 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default BEST Guide on the WEB!

Scary Alien --- Thank you for the detailed instructions and different options for unlocking and rooting.

I read through this forum a few times and did the unlock/root yesterday. It was so simple and took 15 minutes including two backups, one before root and one after.

So I have a question for you:

I see that we have the option to either boot cwm or flash it so it becomes the on-device recovery. I chose to boot it since I should be able to get to my computer when I need to do any cwm work like installing a .zip etc...

So my question is after unlocking I booted into CWM and took a Backup before rooting and then rooted and took another backup.

Would my pre-root backup work if I wanted to restore to a pre root state?


Besides my question everything seems really clear to me. I did my root slightly different from the guides although I would consider what I did the first method (clockwork-Koush)

I ended up installing the GNex toolkit from WugFresh to check it out and noticed it setup drivers, and setup a directory with Fastboot and ADB plus the SU.Zip and Clockwork.img file so basically I used this to setup my system and directories and went from there.

At one point I had to manually select the driver for the bootloader interface but this was simple.


Thanks so much for your help.
bobak is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobak For This Useful Post:
scary alien (January 7th, 2012)
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #457 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobak View Post
Scary Alien --- Thank you for the detailed instructions and different options for unlocking and rooting.
You are most welcome! I'm happy to have helped .

Quote:
So I have a question for you:

I see that we have the option to either boot cwm or flash it so it becomes the on-device recovery. I chose to boot it since I should be able to get to my computer when I need to do any cwm work like installing a .zip etc...

So my question is after unlocking I booted into CWM and took a Backup before rooting and then rooted and took another backup.

Would my pre-root backup work if I wanted to restore to a pre root state?
Yes! Excellent analysis!

You could, even prior to rooting (like you said you did), simply soft-boot ClockworkMod and take an unrooted / stock snapshot of your phone via a Nandroid backup. You can then flash CWM and root, ROM, etc. to your heart's content.

Then, should you decide to "unroot" / return-to-stock at some point, you could simply re-invoke CWM and restore that "stock" Nandroid backup and you are back to where you were when the backup was made .

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help.
No problem and welcome to the AndroidForums!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #458 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default r3 superboot

The r3 superboot worked like a charm. I have a simple question. This is a temp root. When I power down the phone is no longer rooted. How do I reroot the phone? I do not see any file or apk on my phone to click on to reroot.
Do I need to download file again to root?
susieq29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #459 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq29 View Post
The r3 superboot worked like a charm. I have a simple question. This is a temp root. When I power down the phone is no longer rooted. How do I reroot the phone? I do not see any file or apk on my phone to click on to reroot.
Do I need to download file again to root?
susieq, it should be a permanent root...it auto-installs the su binary and the Superuser.apk whitelist app (which should be in the app drawer).

Check your app drawer for the "Superuser" application to see if its really there or not.

You can also download and install the "Android Terminal Emulator" app (free in the Market). Start it up and enter "su" (no quotes, of course). If your prompt changes from "$" to "#", you are indeed rooted.

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #460 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahha View Post
Welcome to AF StevDwonk!

I believe your recovery is either being rewritten as the stock recovery. Check /system to see if you have a "recovery-from-boot.p" file in there. If you have that file then CWM will not stick. I would suggest renaming it "recovery-from-boot.p.old" then flash CWM again and it should stick for you.

You can either flash CMW via fastboot or just download rom manager and let it flash it once you open it.
THanks for the welcome and thanks so much for the help but i have looked and cant seem to find it not sure if im looking in right place though would you mind helping thanks
StevDwonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #461 (permalink)
Member
 
riverboat2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 157
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus,
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default Think I'm following it right!

So far, i've followed your instructions to the letter.
But, i'm confused about removing the android device from the "other" devices part of device manager.

Once I've removed the device, it then disappears and i cannot then "see" it to update the driver!

What am i doing wrong?

Changed to a different USB port on laptop then it found the correct driver.
riverboat2001 is offline  
Last edited by riverboat2001; January 9th, 2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Worked
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to riverboat2001 For This Useful Post:
scary alien (January 9th, 2012)
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #462 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Flavoristic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): Galaxy nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Can you guide me to how to unroot and restore my G-nexus yakjuux 4.0.1 from bell to stock? since i cant find the stock image.
Flavoristic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #463 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
minibee041's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Leicester, England
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): N1 Rooted with cyanogen 7.1 (retired to wife), NEXUS PRIME stock - for now (still can't hear it ring
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone tried xda method for vodafone uk gsm nexus? http:// http://www.xda-developers.com/android/galaxy-nexus-toolkit-updated-to-3-0-new-one-click-everything/ if not applicable could you point me in the general direction of root procedure for uk vodafone gsm or is it the same as any gsm phone? If same i will try the method at start of this thread. Apologies Scary if in wrong thread, please feel free to move.
minibee041 is offline  
Last edited by minibee041; January 10th, 2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: re-read post and question wasn't clear
Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #464 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Got the phone today and rooted without problems.

Suggestion for a small improvement in the instructions for Linux users: I tried both the mini-SDK and the linked Android SDK versions of fastbood and adb. Whereas I could connect to my today unrooted HTC Desire as a regular Ubuntu user, I had to sudo my way into the new phone - both on Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.10. When trying as a normal user, the daemon started, but adb and fastboot got stuck "detecting device" and "waiting for device". (As a matter of fact, Ubuntu 10.10 with the mini-SDK adb was able to detect a device without sudo, but with "???????????????" instead of the serial number.)
nrabett is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nrabett For This Useful Post:
scary alien (January 10th, 2012)
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #465 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrabett View Post
Got the phone today and rooted without problems.

Suggestion for a small improvement in the instructions for Linux users: I tried both the mini-SDK and the linked Android SDK versions of fastbood and adb. Whereas I could connect to my today unrooted HTC Desire as a regular Ubuntu user, I had to sudo my way into the new phone - both on Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.10. When trying as a normal user, the daemon started, but adb and fastboot got stuck "detecting device" and "waiting for device". (As a matter of fact, Ubuntu 10.10 with the mini-SDK adb was able to detect a device without sudo, but with "???????????????" instead of the serial number.)
Thanks and glad you got successfully rooted!

I'll make a note for the Linux instructions that a sudo prefix on the commands might be necessary (and I'll test things tonight on my Linux boot on my laptop to make sure I get the syntax right ).

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #466 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Flavoristic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): Galaxy nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hi,

scary alien your guide is pretty much neat. However, i faced difficulties while trying to stick my CWM. I have followed your steps to do so but without fix. I went to /system/recovery-from-boot.p and renamed it to /system/recovery-from-boot.p-bak, fastbooted to recovery and still red exclamation droid thingy. Please help
Flavoristic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #467 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Flavoristic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): Galaxy nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahha View Post
Welcome to AF StevDwonk!

I believe your recovery is either being rewritten as the stock recovery. Check /system to see if you have a "recovery-from-boot.p" file in there. If you have that file then CWM will not stick. I would suggest renaming it "recovery-from-boot.p.old" then flash CWM again and it should stick for you.

You can either flash CMW via fastboot or just download rom manager and let it flash it once you open it.
Ohhhh Yeaahha that pretty much solved my issue ... thanks to you and to scary . You guys are awesome
Flavoristic is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flavoristic For This Useful Post:
scary alien (January 11th, 2012), Yeahha (January 11th, 2012)
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #468 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 53
 
Device(s): CDMA Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Don't need to have that pain of starting over again! just use my method of backing up, almost as if you never wiped your beloved Galaxy Nexus!
Backup and Restore without Root (Galaxy Nexus and Mac)
Hipe0ples555 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #469 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm having trouble installing the drivers for fastboot.

I'm on Win7 64-bit. I have the verizon GNexus So i plug the GNexus into the computer and boot it in fastboot mode, the windows automatic hardware pops up and installs some drivers. I then go to device manager and it shows up under Portable Devices. Right click on it and click update driver software, click on the file I unzipped from the naked 1.7 driver link, and it says windows has determined that the software for your device is up to date(it's listed as MTP USB Device there). So I then try the let me pick from a list of drivers, click have disk, and click on the driver folder again. Then it says "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based
systems."

I'm stumped, I tried different USB ports and different cables. Also, if I try to uninstall the drivers it just disappears from device manager, and when I scan for hardware changes it just pops up again and I get the same issue
mbrig120 is offline  
Last edited by mbrig120; January 19th, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #470 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrig120 View Post
I'm having trouble installing the drivers for fastboot.

I'm on Win7 64-bit. I have the verizon GNexus So i plug the GNexus into the computer and boot it in fastboot mode, the windows automatic hardware pops up and installs some drivers. I then go to device manager and it shows up under Portable Devices. Right click on it and click update driver software, click on the file I unzipped from the naked 1.7 driver link, and it says windows has determined that the software for your device is up to date(it's listed as MTP USB Device there). So I then try the let me pick from a list of drivers, click have disk, and click on the driver folder again. Then it says "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based
systems."

I'm stumped, I tried different USB ports and different cables. Also, if I try to uninstall the drivers it just disappears from device manager, and when I scan for hardware changes it just pops up again and I get the same issue
mbrig120,

I'm not currently in a position to follow-along on my Win 7 64-bit desktop that's at home (I'm still at work), but have a look at both of these links:

How to install the adb & fastboot USB drivers (MS/Windows users only)

I'm going to make the hardest part of rooting easy for newbs.. .right here. Yup. I am.

Hopefully, there'll be something in one of those posts that will fix you up.

Let us know!

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #471 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I tried doing everything I can on both of those links to no avail. The verizon phone is cdma correct? I found [EASIER ROOT TOOLKIT] Wugfresh Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit Easier - xda-developers which looks really useful, I'm gonna try that out.
mbrig120 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #472 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrig120 View Post
I tried doing everything I can on both of those links to no avail. The verizon phone is cdma correct? I found [EASIER ROOT TOOLKIT] Wugfresh Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit Easier - xda-developers which looks really useful, I'm gonna try that out.
Yes, VZW is CDMA / LTE...

I have heard that Wug's newest version of that tool is pretty slick and works very well...

Good luck!

By the way, welcome to the AndroidForums! (sorry, forgot that in my first reply )
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:25 AM   #473 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thehybridkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I downloaded the "slightly easier method" package for rooting my Android. Contained within is a file called boot.img. I know what purpose it serves, but what is its source? Is there an opensource reference for this file? Where can I obtain it independently?
thehybridkiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #474 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehybridkiwi View Post
I downloaded the "slightly easier method" package for rooting my Android. Contained within is a file called boot.img. I know what purpose it serves, but what is its source? Is there an opensource reference for this file? Where can I obtain it independently?
thehybridkiwi,

The boot.img file is the system boot image, i.e., it contains the kernel and the parts of the operating system for doing the initial boot-up of Android and your installed apps.

This particular (insecure) boot.img file was tweaked to allow updates to the / (root) and /system partitions so that the root binaries (su and Superuser.apk) could be installed. Don't be alarmed about the word "insecure"--in this case, this boot image only differs from the original one in a single, simple setting (ro.secure=0) in the default.prop file to allow the partitions to have write access.

Yes, the source code for all of this is freely-available to you. Start here for learning how to do this: Initializing a Build Environment | Android Open Source

Cheers and good luck!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
thehybridkiwi (January 22nd, 2012)
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:55 AM   #475 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
gapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N GA
Posts: 1,578
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus All Up A'Ginn It!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,463 Times in 814 Posts
Default

I am coming into this in the middle so if this does not apply........ but what you are saying reminds me of something.

I am Win7 x64 Pro. With the phone USB disconnected the driver thing on the PC went fine.

Now........ Connected via USB,

When I was (Trying To) root for the 1st time I would get the "waiting for device" message in adb and the driver issues you speak of.

So I left it sitting right there with the USB connected and went into device manager and reloaded the drivers and BAM! It took. I looked at the adb window and the waiting was gone and the device was listed.

?
__________________
Nexus 5 MammerHead/ SlimKat B4

gapi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM   #476 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

gapi,

I think that's along the lines of what Steven was talking about here:

I'm going to make the hardest part of rooting easy for newbs.. .right here. Yup. I am.

I actually didn't have too much trouble with my USB driver installs, but like any driver installs in Windows, I go in knowing that its never a solid, straightforward process .
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM   #477 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thehybridkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

To follow up on boot.img...

First off, thanks for the link to the Build guide - very informative!

My main concern is how do I know if the boot.img that comes with a given zip package is correct? (ie. correctly configured to be insecure and other settings being untouched)
thehybridkiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #478 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
gapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N GA
Posts: 1,578
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus All Up A'Ginn It!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,463 Times in 814 Posts
Default

That's a pretty amazing question. Its pretty much answered by the suggestion, always Make an nandroid backup just in-case.

?correctly configured to be insecure? What is that?

So far there have been no reports here of bad files being put out there. And believe me if there were we would see lots of traffic her about it.

Other than covering ones backside with a nandroid, you can compare the MD5 to make sure it did not get corrupted in transit. Google up a free MD5 checker called WinMD5. Most of us use a utility like that.

Tell us what it is your in fear of getting?
gapi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:45 PM   #479 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehybridkiwi View Post
To follow up on boot.img...

First off, thanks for the link to the Build guide - very informative!

My main concern is how do I know if the boot.img that comes with a given zip package is correct? (ie. correctly configured to be insecure and other settings being untouched)
Yes, +1 to gapi's answer about checking the MD5 checksum on any file you download.

If you really want to know if the boot.img file is configured correctly, you could unpack it and examine the contents of the default.prop file to verify the value of the ro.secure setting.

Doing that would be cool, but would probably require you to obtain knowledge that would obviate your question in the first place .

At some point, you've got to trust the source and publishers of various files that are out there. The files in the "slightly easier" method have been used by lots of folks (myself included) without issue.

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM   #480 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thehybridkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Based on my understanding, the boot.img used for rooting is essentially the original boot.img from the device that is modified by setting ro.secure=0 in the ramdisk.

My theory on how this is done:
(1) The original boot.img from the device is un-packed
(2) ro.secure=0 is set in the default.prop file within the ramdisk filesystem
(3) The boot image is re-packed as a new boot.img (this is the "unsecured" image used for rooting)

It seems that I could ALMOST make the unsecured boot.img myself (with reference to this post on modifying boot images).

The one problem is how/where do I obtain the original boot.img? Does scary_alien's link on initializing the Android build environment ultimately give me the boot.img I need? (I'm unclear if it does after reading through it)
thehybridkiwi is offline  
Last edited by thehybridkiwi; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:09 PM   #481 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehybridkiwi View Post
Based on my understanding, the boot.img used for rooting is essentially the original boot.img from the device that is modified by setting ro.secure=0 in the ramdisk.

My theory on how this is done:
(1) The original boot.img from the device is un-packed
(2) ro.secure=0 is set in the default.prop file within the ramdisk filesystem
(3) The boot image is re-packed as a new boot.img (this is "unsecured" image used for rooting)

It seems that I could ALMOST make the unsecured boot.img myself (with reference to this post on modifying boot images).

The one problem is how/where do I obtain the original boot.img? Does scary_alien's link on initializing the Android build environment ultimately give me the boot.img I need? (I'm unclear if it does after reading through it)
Yep, you certainly are on the right path! (very nicely done!)

From what I understand, Paul O'Brien from MoDaCo actually built the first insecured boot image from source to create the insecure boot image packaged with his Superboot package.

The boot.img file is contained in the factory images. Look here for information about where to obtain and the makeup of these files:

How to un-root (return to stock)

The boot.img (and recovery.img, etc.) are contained in the file with the name format of image-<model>-icl53f.zip. Note: as you've read in the "How to unpack" thread (which I'm very familiar with), the boot.img and recovery.img files have identical formats and makeup--for good reason: they are both bootable image files.

In fact, when you are rooting with these methods (that are not the ClockworkMod method), you are not flashing (writing) the boot.img files, but simply soft-booting them into memory so that you can insert the root binaries.

I also would have pointed to you towards a very informative page "http://www.mydroidworld.com/index.php?galaxy-nexus-mods/10446-how-create-insecure-boot-image.html", but it looks like that particular page has been pulled (search Google for the cached version of that; if you need or want the insecureboot.zip‎ that it references, PM me your email and I'll send it to you (its just a script, but is instructive nonetheless)).

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
thehybridkiwi (January 22nd, 2012)
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #482 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thehybridkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
At some point, you've got to trust the source and publishers of various files that are out there. The files in the "slightly easier" method have been used by lots of folks (myself included) without issue.
I personally have confidence in the files myself because, as you've mentioned, many people have used them. I was mainly interested in finding out how they came to be. Needless to say, I am quite impressed at how these folks are able to figure out how to programmatically root the device without official Google guidance.

And thanks for the pointer to the original boot.img files
thehybridkiwi is offline  
Last edited by thehybridkiwi; January 22nd, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thehybridkiwi For This Useful Post:
gapi (January 22nd, 2012)
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #483 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thehybridkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Regarding the factory images: if my device (never been rooted) is currently running 4.0.1... once I go through the whole root/unroot process, can I use the 4.0.2 image when I unroot? Or should I stick with 4.0.1 when I unroot?
thehybridkiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:20 PM   #484 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehybridkiwi View Post
I personally have confidence in the files myself because, as you've mentioned, many people have used them. I was mainly interested in finding out how they came to be. Needless to say, I am quite impressed at how these folks are able to figure out how to programmatically root the device without official Google guidance.

And thanks for the pointer to the original boot.img files
LOL, no problem...

I just couldn't tell where you were going with your questions, etc. (i.e., that you were interested in possibly unpacking and/or building the boot.img file yourself).

I'm impressed that you did the research you did and happy to run into folks that want to know how all the little details about how things really work, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehybridkiwi View Post
Regarding the factory images: if my device (never been rooted) is currently running 4.0.1... once I go through the whole root/unroot process, can I use the 4.0.2 image when I unroot? Or should I stick with 4.0.1 when I unroot?
Well, unrooting is basically restoring / re-flashing the stock factory images, so you can choose whichever version you like. I've flashed both, but very soon after I rebooted from restoring the 4.0.1 image, the 4.0.2 OTA comes in (at least for me ).

Cheers and please let me know if you have any other questions.
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
gapi (January 22nd, 2012), thehybridkiwi (January 22nd, 2012)
Old January 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #485 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
thehybridkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I was thinking of compiling/building superuser.apk and su from source.

For superuser.apk, is it sufficient to build source in Debug mode and use that apk for rooting? It seems like that would work since the whole root process is done in USB debug mode. However, superuser.apk is used full-time after the root process to manage access to su... so does that mean I would need to build a release and signed superuser.apk instead?

For su, I actually have no clue how to generate the su file from source... ?
thehybridkiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #486 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehybridkiwi View Post
I was thinking of compiling/building superuser.apk and su from source.

For superuser.apk, is it sufficient to build source in Debug mode and use that apk for rooting? It seems like that would work since the whole root process is done in USB debug mode. However, superuser.apk is used full-time after the root process to manage access to su... so does that mean I would need to build a release and signed superuser.apk instead?

For su, I actually have no clue how to generate the su file from source... ?
You've got a whole lot of "fun" (learning ) ahead of you, thehybridkiwi...here's where I would start:

[APP] Superuser 2.3.6.1 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05] - xda-developers

Its got ChainsDD's github (https://github.com/ChainsDD) linked at the bottom of that first post.

Also, here's his web site: Superuser

Cheers and let us know what you have in mind and/or come up with--I'm interested to hear.
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:22 PM   #487 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey scary alien, this guide is awesome!!!
I used the "clockwork method",
although i have encountered a problem. Everything went smooth with the rooting and fastboot unlocking but i still can't manage root anything.

I have tried several apps without success. I have mounted the /system in r/w using ES file explorer, and i cant seem to find the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file. I have searched for it everywhere and tried using the consol.
I even tried rerooting and reinstalling SU. No luck
Any help would be appriciated
floptry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:28 PM   #488 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floptry View Post
Hey scary alien, this guide is awesome!!!
I used the "clockwork method",
although i have encountered a problem. Everything went smooth with the rooting and fastboot unlocking but i still can't manage root anything.

I have tried several apps without success. I have mounted the /system in r/w using ES file explorer, and i cant seem to find the /system/recovery-from-boot.p file. I have searched for it everywhere and tried using the consol.
I even tried rerooting and reinstalling SU. No luck
Any help would be appriciated
floptry, welcome to the AndroidForums!

Well, I noticed that when I did a restore of the stock/factory images (I have the VZW GNex), there was no /system/recovery-from-boot.p file--it only got / gets installed with the 4.0.2 OTA (at least from VZW anyways). This file is only used and relevant when you shut down to cause Android to re-flash the stock recovery (i.e., you typically rename it to stop that from happening so that you don't lose your ClockworkMod custom recovery).

I'm guessing you probably did not do this (restore the factory/stock images) on you GNex, right? (but since I don't have the GSM version, I can't see if this file is normally present on your phone model).

If you've successfully remounted /system in read/write mode, then you are indeed rooted (you should have been asked for root permission for ES File explorer via the Superuser dialog, right?).

Is that lack of the recovery-from-boot.p file your only concern about not being rooted?

Let us know.

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
floptry (January 31st, 2012)
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:24 PM   #489 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for the fast reply

I do have a Gnex with GSM.
My main concern is that patchers i.e. lucky patcher says i dont have root access even though they are granted permisson with SU. I only believe that not finding the recovery-from-boot.p file might be the problem.

I do not think i did restore the "factory/stock images", which step is that? I can't recall missing any steps, How do I do this?

I have reeboted the phone a few times, entering recovery mode and entering mounts and storage. Here i can see that i am able to mount /system.

Mounting "/system", restarting and entering the same recovery mode, under mounts and storage i see that i can mount it again (even though I mounted it in ES it is not mounted in recovery mode). I guess it is not permanently mounted?

There is one thing i didn't mention that might be relevant: I reeboted the phone between step G and H (clockworkmod method)
floptry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:01 PM   #490 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floptry View Post
Thank you for the fast reply

I do have a Gnex with GSM.
My main concern is that patchers i.e. lucky patcher says i dont have root access even though they are granted permisson with SU. I only believe that not finding the recovery-from-boot.p file might be the problem.

I do not think i did restore the "factory/stock images", which step is that? I can't recall missing any steps, How do I do this?

I have reeboted the phone a few times, entering recovery mode and entering mounts and storage. Here i can see that i am able to mount /system.

Mounting "/system", restarting and entering the same recovery mode, under mounts and storage i see that i can mount it again (even though I mounted it in ES it is not mounted in recovery mode). I guess it is not permanently mounted?

There is one thing i didn't mention that might be relevant: I reeboted the phone between step G and H (clockworkmod method)
I don't know what "lucky patcher" is...is that an app?

The recovery-from-boot.p file is only relevant for when Android decides to flash back your stock recovery and is not related to whether or not you have root.

Don't worry about the factory / stock image thing...you'd know if you did it .

Mounting operations in custom recovery (i.e., ClockworkMod) do not affect or stay when you reboot Android. Also, mounting /system in read-write mode in ES File Explorer isn't permanent either--i.e., it will go back to read-only mode after you reboot (which is good because you don't normally want /system mounted in read-write mode--too dangerous).

For checking / verifying root access, try downloading and installing Root Checker Basic

Rebooting between steps G and H for the ClockworkMod Method shouldn't matter if you were able to re-enter ClockworkMod to resume the instructions at step H and complete everything.

Also, if you have the Superuser app in your app drawer (icon is little green Android with an eyepatch), then you should be rooted.

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:52 PM   #491 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 81
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Novice user here. Took me about 20 minutes to unlock and root with clockwork. Thanks!
Lunacy is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacy For This Useful Post:
scary alien (January 31st, 2012)
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:02 PM   #492 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey new user here. Trying to flash clockwork to my Galaxy Nexus but it doesn't seem to be sticking. I ended up rooting with clockwork in the phone's memory but it won't 'stick' when I try to flash it. I just end up with the little android man and the red thing coming out of his chest lol.
JesseSparta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:11 PM   #493 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseSparta View Post
Hey new user here. Trying to flash clockwork to my Galaxy Nexus but it doesn't seem to be sticking. I ended up rooting with clockwork in the phone's memory but it won't 'stick' when I try to flash it. I just end up with the little android man and the red thing coming out of his chest lol.
Welcome to the AndroidForums, Jesse!

Check out this post:

How to install ClockworkMod custom recovery

re. the section labeled Flashed custom recovery won't "stick"?.

That should fix you up .

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:17 PM   #494 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Literally just after I posted that I made it. PERFECT.

Haha I've already got a ROM on it thank you so much!
JesseSparta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:27 AM   #495 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
I don't know what "lucky patcher" is...is that an app?

The recovery-from-boot.p file is only relevant for when Android decides to flash back your stock recovery and is not related to whether or not you have root.

Don't worry about the factory / stock image thing...you'd know if you did it .

Mounting operations in custom recovery (i.e., ClockworkMod) do not affect or stay when you reboot Android. Also, mounting /system in read-write mode in ES File Explorer isn't permanent either--i.e., it will go back to read-only mode after you reboot (which is good because you don't normally want /system mounted in read-write mode--too dangerous).

For checking / verifying root access, try downloading and installing Root Checker Basic

Rebooting between steps G and H for the ClockworkMod Method shouldn't matter if you were able to re-enter ClockworkMod to resume the instructions at step H and complete everything.

Also, if you have the Superuser app in your app drawer (icon is little green Android with an eyepatch), then you should be rooted.

Cheers!
Hello scary alien, sorry for the delayed reply.

Lucky patcher is a various app patcher that i found on TPB, whatever app i try to patch it says: "No root access found... make sure you have updated su or busy box" even though i grant the app SU.
There is a seperate patcher for power amp (a music app) and when i run it i get the same message.
I tried "root checker" and it says that I have root access.

Chrees!
floptry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #496 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a quick question. I recently rooted my Galaxy Nexus because there are certain apps I wanted to use. I don't have much interest in changing roms so I will be sticking with ICS. Will it be safe for me to update ICS normally in the future even though I have rooted my phone?
BobRoss94 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #497 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
gapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N GA
Posts: 1,578
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus All Up A'Ginn It!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,463 Times in 814 Posts
Default

An over the air (OTA) update will unroot you. This is new ground for us because no OTA has came out yet but I think there will be many posts on what to do when that happens.
The way my phone is rooted I don't think I woill see an OTA prompt, maybe no rooted device will I dunno.
Those that know say the developers will have the upgrade available to us before the OTA or soon after.
So fret not, and read and wait..........
gapi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #498 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Us VZW folks have had an OTA before: 4.0.2--its just that most folks saw and got it and installed it very quickly after receiving their device.

I did extensive testing about how rooting affects the OTA and custom recovery, etc.:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/469782-ota-updates-vs-clockworkmod-root.html

Its no big deal, really, since you can easily re-root after an OTA comes in.

If you have a custom ROM installed, you'll never even know about the OTA from your phone's standpoint.

Hope that helps .

Cheers!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
gapi (February 10th, 2012)
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #499 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
gapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N GA
Posts: 1,578
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus All Up A'Ginn It!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,463 Times in 814 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
If you have a custom ROM installed, you'll never even know about the OTA from your phone's standpoint.

Hope that helps .

Cheers!
Yeh, My settings menu don't even have the "check For Update" switch.

Good thing!
gapi is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gapi For This Useful Post:
scary alien (February 10th, 2012)
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #500 (permalink)
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,608
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,584
Thanked 14,074 Times in 6,874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Yeh, My settings menu don't even have the "check For Update" switch.

Good thing!
LOL, I never thought to look!

I'm running AOKP with the LeanKernel...don't have that option, either .

Thanks!
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (International / GSM) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://androidforums.com/international-gsm-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/452146-how-root-gsm-hspa-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html
Posted By For Type Date
lucky patcher galaxy next - Virgilio Ricerca Web This thread Refback May 11th, 2012 07:26 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback March 5th, 2012 02:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.