I recently Purchased ( 1 week back
) the Lava Xolo X900 Smartphone from Flipkart India. This came with stock Android ICS 4.0.4
(IFWI: 05 A5, Kenel: 3.0.8-138161-g8399bf7)
I was upset to find that the "USB Mass storage" option PC Connectivity was removed from this version of ICS in my phone.
This was replaced with two other options named MTP & PTP, in the USB connectivity notification.
The accompanying Xolo instruction leaflet & usermanual-pdf from Xolo site, are totally useless & outdated, regarding this USB-MS feature, & only relevant for phones which came with GB-OS (Android-2.3.7).
The only way to transfer files to/from my phone-device, without WiFi/BT, was to to make this MTP protocol work, with my Windows-XP PC.
On further research in internet, I found out that, this was so with any phone with later ICS (And-4.0.4) versions.
But I found that in my Windows-XP-SP2 PC, MTP drivers are not available by default.
After so much trials & search I was able to make it (MTP) work. Even though many solutions were touted in various forums, I am sharing my experience here, to provide the most fundamental solution.
* Download & Install Windows Media Player-11 (since this contains all the UMDF, & MTP drivers) 25MB
* Download & Install Android USB drivers from Intel Site. (IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.1.4.exe) 9 MB.
Option-2 (Simpler option, without need to install the full WMP11)
(Also Activation is not necessary)
1. Download the WMP11 installer, but do not install it. ("wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu" can be download from filehippo.com)
2. Extract contents from the above exe, into a temp folder. (using any unzipper)
3. Install "MS User Mode Driver Framework" component (umdf.exe) 737 kb
4. Install "Windows Media Format 11 Runtime" (wmfdist11.exe) 9.5MB
5. Now Install Android USB drivers from Intel Site. (IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.1.4.exe) 9MB
You will get a new "Portable Devices" group item in your PC explorer (My Computer). No drive-letter is provided.
You can transfer to/fro any PC file to most of the destinations within the phone-device. (Transfer is slightly slower , but no need to mount/unmount from phone).
Some times when you transfer media files like Movies, you will get a DRM warning, but I did not find any functional restrictions.
The essential files for MTP, are collected from the wmfdist11.exe-runtime & UMDF in earlier steps.
1. Wpdmtp.inf : from Windows Media Format 11 Runtime
2. wudfrd.sys : from UMDF
PS: To get back USB mass storage option, you require to root this phone.