Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > LG G Pad 8.3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default GPE Google Keyboard

Just got my G-Pad GPE and am having fun with it, although when I set it up I made the mistake of telling it to "restore my account", which means that it downloaded and installed every app I've installed on either my smartphone or 10" tablet and it took a while to clean everything up! Then, of course, I had to dig out all my account logins to get connected to various services, forums, email, etc., etc. Whew!

Anyway, the one thing that I'm unhappy with is the standard Google keyboard, which for some reason is different from the one on my Nexus 5 phone even though both are using the same Android version. Mainly, is there some shortcut I'm missing when in the alpha mode to enter punctuation (other than period and comma)? On the Nexus, there are 3 dots under the period key and if I press and hold it I get a popup with the other common characters. So far on the LG I have to switch to numeric mode to enter them.

The swype-method of entry works the same as on the Nexus, but if I can't find a more convenient way to punctuate I'll have to switch to the actual Swype product, I guess.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Recognized Geek

Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile (prepaid)

Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,182 Posts

I don't know exactly how the tablet format of the keyboard differs from the phone version, but you *should* be able to swipe from the Symbols key directly to whatever punctuation you're after. Release and the chosen symbol will be inserted, and the keyboard will automatically drop back to alpha mode.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > LG G Pad 8.3