Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG G3

Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By john_g
  • 2 Post By john_g
  • 1 Post By Maine Coon
  • 1 Post By HuskyKMA
  • 1 Post By john_g
  • 1 Post By lexluthor
  • 2 Post By john_g
  • 1 Post By Jdub333
  • 2 Post By zipred
  • 1 Post By zipred
  • 3 Post By SpyderBite
  • 2 Post By EarlyMon
  • 1 Post By MotoMoto
  • 1 Post By Maine Coon
  • 1 Post By zipred
  • 1 Post By UBRocked
  • 1 Post By zipred
  • 1 Post By ggrant3876

test: Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread July 11th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 555
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 30
Thanked 175 Times in 129 Posts
Default LG G3 Tips & Tricks

It doesn't look like anyone's started a Tips & Tricks thread yet, so I thought I'd kick one off!
ProudGrL likes this.

Advertisements
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Unread July 11th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 555
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 30
Thanked 175 Times in 129 Posts
Default Double-tap to lock screen

In addition to using a knock code to unlock the screen, a double-tap on the notification area will lock the screen (it works on any unoccupied screen area, but this isn't easy if you're on a home screen full of apps, or have an app open). This means you can unlock and re-lock the phone without even picking it up.
Crashumbc and ProudGrL like this.
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john_g For This Useful Post:
Ilya (August 10th, 2014), Jdub333 (July 28th, 2014), ProudGrL (August 8th, 2014), zebug (July 27th, 2014)
Unread July 11th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 555
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 30
Thanked 175 Times in 129 Posts
Default Set up McAfee anti-theft!!!

My phone came with McAfee Mobile Security pre-installed. I was going to ditch this for Avast until I discovered that McAfee has a "Lock Down Device" option. This claims to "Block Factory Reset, Rooting and USB port." This is in addition to the usual Security Scan, Backup and Find Device functions.

On my previous phone I used Avast to achieve the equivalent of the Lock Down Device function, but the phone had to be rooted to use this. With McAfee and the G3, rooting is not necessary.

p.s. Interestingly, the website for remote phone tracking and control is a specific LG/McAfee one.
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 11th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Panda-riffic!
 
pandacookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Female
Posts: 574
 
Device(s): LG G3 (as of 7/16)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 111
Thanked 206 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
My phone came with McAfee Mobile Security pre-installed. I was going to ditch this for Avast until I discovered that McAfee has a "Lock Down Device" option. This claims to "Block Factory Reset, Rooting and USB port." This is in addition to the usual Security Scan, Backup and Find Device functions.



On my previous phone I used Avast to achieve the equivalent of the Lock Down Device function, but the phone had to be rooted to use this. With McAfee and the G3, rooting is not necessary.



p.s. Interestingly, the website for remote phone tracking and control is a specific LG/McAfee one.

T-Mobile has been using Lookout Security for their phones (in conjunction with the Jump service) since I've been with them. It'll be interesting to see if they keep Lookout or go with McAffee.
pandacookie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 11th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
U Just Luv My OPPOstyle
 
KOLIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,461
 
Device(s): OPPO N1 | SAMSUNG GEAR 2/FIT | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE/AT&T

Thanks: 4,595
Thanked 1,904 Times in 1,402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacookie View Post
T-Mobile has been using Lookout Security for their phones (in conjunction with the Jump service) since I've been with them. It'll be interesting to see if they keep Lookout or go with McAffee.
Still has LOOKOUT on-board.
KOLIO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 11th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 204
Thanked 226 Times in 154 Posts
Default

I had tried several different security apps.

Then upon buying my Note 3 at T-Mobile, I found Outlook to be my favorite. Reinforced by a few good articles in the blogosphere I decided to use it on all my Androids, it's been great.
__________________
~ Nothing Means Anything, Until You Assign It A Value ~
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 13th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Maine Coon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,062
 
Device(s): LG G3-LG F6-Nexus 5-Sony Tablet S-Sony Z Ultra-Galaxy Tab3/T-Mobile/
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 376
Thanked 258 Times in 209 Posts
Default

How to disable Lookout:

/Settings/Security/Phone administrators, Disable.
Kuhns787 likes this.
__________________
Lucky Golden dragon. Life is Good
Maine Coon is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maine Coon For This Useful Post:
jetsfan2014 (July 20th, 2014), K4KAI (July 22nd, 2014), MotoMoto (August 10th, 2014)
Unread July 16th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 135
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 69
Thanked 49 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Take a screenshot by pressing the power button and the volume down button on the back at the same time.
Maine Coon likes this.
HuskyKMA is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HuskyKMA For This Useful Post:
jetsfan2014 (July 20th, 2014), WoodenAnts (August 3rd, 2014), zebug (July 27th, 2014)
Unread July 17th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 555
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 30
Thanked 175 Times in 129 Posts
Default Another screenshot method

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyKMA View Post
Take a screenshot by pressing the power button and the volume down button on the back at the same time.
It took me a week or so to get used to the keys being on the rear of the phone, but now I like them. I've tried taking screenshots in the way you suggest but find that quite awkward. I prefer using Quick Memo+ to do it... just pull down the toggles from the notification area and press the Quick Memo+ button. Then press the key on the right-hand side, one in from the QM+ settings. This'll grab a screenshot. It's a bit more long-winded but at least I don't get the volume slider showing up in the screenshots!
clownshoos likes this.
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john_g For This Useful Post:
AntimonyER (July 18th, 2014)
Unread July 18th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): RAZR MAXX (way overdue to upgrade)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

G3 recognizes a flash drive without needing add-on software. You just need a standard USB OTG cable
markfm is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markfm For This Useful Post:
americonium (July 30th, 2014)
sponsored links
Unread July 18th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,096
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One S, iPhone 5s, Nook HD+, Nook Color
Carrier: Verizon and T-Mobile

Thanks: 135
Thanked 404 Times in 263 Posts
Default

I don't have my phone yet, but just read a review that stated if you long press the down volume, it will activate the camera.
ProudGrL likes this.
lexluthor is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lexluthor For This Useful Post:
ProudGrL (August 8th, 2014)
Unread July 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus and Note 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

You can take a screen shot by dragging the home button to the right and stopping on the quick memo icon.
jeff327 is offline  
Last edited by jeff327; July 21st, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Unread July 21st, 2014, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Is there any way, without loading a 3rd party app like Lightflow, to change the color of the LED for various processes like calls, SMS, etc?
dubie7006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 24th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nope
papagil39 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 25th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 555
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 30
Thanked 175 Times in 129 Posts
Default Clearing Clip Tray

I like LG's Clip Tray, but it's too easy to cut and paste sensitive information, such as passwords, and then forget it's visible to anyone who gets their hands on your phone.

I suggest doing a follow-up long-press after pasting, so you can select "Clip Tray" and then delete all contents.

What's really needed, of course, is a utility that allows users to set a latency so all Clip Tray contents are automatically wiped after, say, ten minutes.
UBRocked and ProudGrL like this.
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 25th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,096
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One S, iPhone 5s, Nook HD+, Nook Color
Carrier: Verizon and T-Mobile

Thanks: 135
Thanked 404 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
What's really needed, of course, is a utility that allows users to set a latency so all Clip Tray contents are automatically wiped after, say, ten minutes.
Good idea. Find someone to write an xposed app for that.
lexluthor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 25th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 124
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post
I don't have my phone yet, but just read a review that stated if you long press the down volume, it will activate the camera.
Must have done that in my pocket yesterday and all of a sudden I felt a bad burning on my leg and the phone was blistering hot and the LED flash was stuck on I guess and . . . ouch .. seriously hot. Gotta be more careful or wear looser pants or something...
grdh20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 26th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 555
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Three

Thanks: 30
Thanked 175 Times in 129 Posts
Default 40 LG G3 tips & tricks from Phone Arena

A really informative series of tips and tricks, many of which I'd not come across before.

LG G3 - 40 Tips & Tricks for LG's most powerful smartphone ever
john_g is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 27th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 44
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYX-n7FrHXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4p5W9SbbE
iazybandit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread July 29th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alabam-istan
Posts: 87
 
Device(s): HTC One X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default Knock On/Off with Nova Launcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
In addition to using a knock code to unlock the screen, a double-tap on the notification area will lock the screen (it works on any unoccupied screen area, but this isn't easy if you're on a home screen full of apps, or have an app open). This means you can unlock and re-lock the phone without even picking it up.
I was disappointed to find that knocking to turn off the screen didn't work with Nova (except in the notification bar), but I found out you can download an app called "Screen Off" (there are several, I'm using the one by icillin) and then set a double tap action in Nova (Prime only) to activate that app. Works like a charm!
KOLIO likes this.
Jdub333 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdub333 For This Useful Post:
shadders139 (August 2nd, 2014)
sponsored links
Unread July 31st, 2014, 06:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jreed2560's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,922
 
Device(s): (NONE) LG G2 HTC DNA Droid RAZR HTC Rezound HTC Thunderbolt Droid X Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 561
Thanked 451 Times in 305 Posts
jreed2560@gmail.com
Default

You can spread the keyboard apart when in landscape mode.1406850931131.jpg
jreed2560 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 2nd, 2014, 12:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 40
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

There are 3 display options for the recent apps screen. One for Android purists that displays recent apps in a single column:
1407001492560.jpg
One that doubles if to 2 columns:
1407001550831.jpg
And finally, one that displays 3 columns of recent apps:
1407001607485.jpg
The display type can be changed by pinching/expanding the screen with 2 fingers.
thunder18 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 204
Thanked 226 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub333 View Post
I was disappointed to find that knocking to turn off the screen didn't work with Nova (except in the notification bar), but I found out you can download an app called "Screen Off" (there are several, I'm using the one by icillin) and then set a double tap action in Nova (Prime only) to activate that app. Works like a charm!
Thanks for this tip, it's very handy.

I've enjoyed Nova Prime (I always buy pay Apps if offered because I believe in paying developers) on my last few Androids and really like it.
KOLIO and Jdub333 like this.
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 2nd, 2014, 03:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

Just a side note though... Nova does it right. Totally functional app for free... Many great extras in the paid version. Just saying... That is how it should always work IMO
__________________
Myself: 2014 Kia Soul+, LG G3, Motorola Droid Razr M, Nexus 7 (2013), multiple Google TVs
Wife and Kids: Motorola Moto X, iPad 4th Gen, HTC Droid DNA, Galaxy Tab 3 (7"), iPhone 4S, Nexus 7 (2013)
Retired: HTC Droid DNA, Galaxy Nexus, Thunderbolt, Droid Pro, Fascinate, Motorola Droid 1, 3 & 4, Transformer TF101, Galaxy Tab (7" WiFi), Archos 70
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 2nd, 2014, 09:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Maine Coon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,062
 
Device(s): LG G3-LG F6-Nexus 5-Sony Tablet S-Sony Z Ultra-Galaxy Tab3/T-Mobile/
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 376
Thanked 258 Times in 209 Posts
Default

I use Apex launcher and I like it.

Try to convince me that Nova is better.
Maine Coon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 2nd, 2014, 10:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 204
Thanked 226 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Coon View Post
I use Apex launcher and I like it.

Try to convince me that Nova is better.
Apex is excellent, I like it nearly as much as Nova, I have used Apex over an extended period in the past without complaint.

Both of these prove why Android is my absolute favorite mobile OS. Choices abound, variety at its finest, Android provides me with the plethora of choices and variety I enjoy.

The reasons I find Nova far better for me are completely irrelevant. No one uses their Android smartphone exactly like I use mine, nor do they have my preferences.

Only those who allow a company like Apple to influence and control their thinking are content with an inflexible semi fixed function phone.

You'll notice I didn't call it a smartphone, that's because in my first hand experience it's a severely limited device as compared to the endless options one enjoys with Android. But then again, the robust sales of iPhones illustrate how millions of followers enjoy letting someone else think for them and tell them what they want . That's just one reason it's often referred to as "The Cult Of Mac".
Maine Coon likes this.
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zipred For This Useful Post:
Maine Coon (August 6th, 2014)
Unread August 2nd, 2014, 11:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 204
Thanked 226 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdh20 View Post
Must have done that in my pocket yesterday and all of a sudden I felt a bad burning on my leg and the phone was blistering hot and the LED flash was stuck on I guess and . . . ouch .. seriously hot. Gotta be more careful or wear looser pants or something...
Only because I'm a very big enthusiast that reads everything possible about the phones I own did I identify early on that one could trigger the camera like this. Yet I should also add I usually read up on the camera early on so I can disable and hide it, since without fail I never use any of the cams on my various Androids. I prefer to carry one of my dedicated cameras as I have for years, long before the advent of smartphones.
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 6th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Maine Coon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,062
 
Device(s): LG G3-LG F6-Nexus 5-Sony Tablet S-Sony Z Ultra-Galaxy Tab3/T-Mobile/
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 376
Thanked 258 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipred View Post
Apex is excellent, I like it nearly as much as Nova, I have used Apex over an extended period in the past without complaint.

Both of these prove why Android is my absolute favorite mobile OS. Choices abound, variety at its finest, Android provides me with the plethora of choices and variety I enjoy.

The reasons I find Nova far better for me are completely irrelevant. No one uses their Android smartphone exactly like I use mine, nor do they have my preferences.

Only those who allow a company like Apple to influence and control their thinking are content with an inflexible semi fixed function phone.

You'll notice I didn't call it a smartphone, that's because in my first hand experience it's a severely limited device as compared to the endless options one enjoys with Android. But then again, the robust sales of iPhones illustrate how millions of followers enjoy letting someone else think for them and tell them what they want . That's just one reason it's often referred to as "The Cult Of Mac".
Thank you.
Agreed completely.

As of iSheep crowd, let them enjoy what they have.

Some switch to Android and have their eyes opened. Majority does not. So be it.
Maine Coon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 7th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
SpyderBite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 65
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Coon View Post
Thank you.
Agreed completely.

As of iSheep crowd, let them enjoy what they have.

Some switch to Android and have their eyes opened. Majority does not. So be it.
I'm an isheep.

I have both an iPhone and a G3. In fact the iPhone is my primary device by choice for many reasons.

But I respect the features and design aspects of both devices. I realize that not many enthusiasts are as open minded as myself. But there's no reason to lump us all under the same blanket statement.
EarlyMon, thunder18 and droid4450 like this.
SpyderBite is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpyderBite For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (August 7th, 2014), thunder18 (August 12th, 2014)
Unread August 7th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,265
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,670
Thanked 57,091 Times in 22,930 Posts
Default

And on that note, I'm declaring this tips thread off-limits for any more brand sniping - of any kind.

No one looking for advice and tips came here for that.

Not every thread is here to rail on about the awesomeness of the model.
KENNECTED and whitehat like this.
__________________
|

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Links: Site Rules / Guidelines -and- Zero Tolerance Policy (All Members Read)


For right-on help, the Thanks button is on the right of the post.
For anything out in left field, the /!\ report button is to the left.

Remember, it's our forums and we're all in this together - so let's keep it cool!

Shoot the breeze at the best new gun forum!
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (Today), whitehat (August 7th, 2014)
sponsored links
Unread August 8th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Maine Coon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,062
 
Device(s): LG G3-LG F6-Nexus 5-Sony Tablet S-Sony Z Ultra-Galaxy Tab3/T-Mobile/
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 376
Thanked 258 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
I'm an isheep.

I have both an iPhone and a G3. In fact the iPhone is my primary device by choice for many reasons.

But I respect the features and design aspects of both devices. I realize that not many enthusiasts are as open minded as myself. But there's no reason to lump us all under the same blanket statement.
My apologies.

did not mean to offend anybody, even an iSheep

As long as you enjoy them both.

it's just..never mind, sorry to bother you.
Maine Coon is offline  
Last edited by Maine Coon; August 9th, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Unread August 10th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Ilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Albany, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 237
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
In addition to using a knock code to unlock the screen, a double-tap on the notification area will lock the screen (it works on any unoccupied screen area, but this isn't easy if you're on a home screen full of apps, or have an app open). This means you can unlock and re-lock the phone without even picking it up.
Thanks! Was wondering about that since I love this feature (came from an HTC One M7).
Ilya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 13th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default QSlide - phone dialer

I thought, like many others that the QSlide is a gimmick..
But I found it very useful.
When in the browser, or email, and there is a phone number you need to dial but it is not "tappable" (like in a graphics), you would need to remember the number and switch to the phone and dial.
It is nice to pop out the qslide dialer and just read the number and dial it at the same time.
Great feature for an old guy like me, with my bad really-short-term memory
zipred likes this.
MotoMoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMoto For This Useful Post:
thunder18 (August 28th, 2014)
Unread August 13th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 204
Thanked 226 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMoto View Post
I thought, like many others that the QSlide is a gimmick..
But I found it very useful.
When in the browser, or email, and there is a phone number you need to dial but it is not "tappable" (like in a graphics), you would need to remember the number and switch to the phone and dial.
It is nice to pop out the qslide dialer and just read the number and dial it at the same time.
Great feature for an old guy like me, with my bad really-short-term memory
It's features like Q-Slide that remind me to be open and give them a try. Each time I do I'm usually pleasantly surprised and glad I learned it.

Overall I'm quite happy with my G3 but for two unfulfilled preferences. I'd really like a 1080p display, and in the 5.7" to 6.0" size range. A nice 5.5" as it is, the 5.7" of my Note 3 reminds me of how each tenth of an inch really matters. Spoiled at 5.7, I now have a burning desire for a 6.0" size.

After a few years experience with all available sizes, I now know that my ideal size is an even 6.0".
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 13th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Maine Coon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,062
 
Device(s): LG G3-LG F6-Nexus 5-Sony Tablet S-Sony Z Ultra-Galaxy Tab3/T-Mobile/
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 376
Thanked 258 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipred View Post
Spoiled at 5.7, I now have a burning desire for a 6.0" size.

After a few years experience with all available sizes, I now know that my ideal size is an even 6.0".
...that's what she said..
zipred likes this.
Maine Coon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 13th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 204
Thanked 226 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Coon View Post
...that's what she said..
Never a dull moment around here, sense of humor is always good...
Maine Coon likes this.
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zipred For This Useful Post:
Maine Coon (August 13th, 2014)
Unread August 13th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
VZW Nexus Please!!!
 
UBRocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,300
 
Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,632 Times in 894 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMoto View Post
I thought, like many others that the QSlide is a gimmick..
But I found it very useful.
When in the browser, or email, and there is a phone number you need to dial but it is not "tappable" (like in a graphics), you would need to remember the number and switch to the phone and dial.
It is nice to pop out the qslide dialer and just read the number and dial it at the same time.
Great feature for an old guy like me, with my bad really-short-term memory
QSlide Calculator is one of my favorite "hidden features". I didn't think I would use any of them (and still don't aside from the calc) but having that little thing right on top of what I'm looking at is pretty damn handy.
zipred likes this.
UBRocked is online now  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 630
 
Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 204
Thanked 226 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRocked View Post
QSlide Calculator is one of my favorite hidden features". I didn't think I would use any of them (and still don't aside from the calc) but having that little thing right on top of what I'm looking at is pretty damn handy.
How ironic, while I didn't specify the calculator is my fav as well!
UBRocked likes this.
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 19th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ggrant3876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 48
 
Device(s): LG G3, Note 3, NotePro 64Gb
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

[How To] Enable All Apps for Dual-Window on Rooted LG-G3.

KOLIO likes this.
__________________

Note 3 - DARTHSTALKER NOTE3 ☆ | VERSiON 7
LG-G3 Rooted TWRP'ed
NotePro 12.2 64Gb
ggrant3876 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread August 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A couple things I came across by accident while playing around with mine are if in the camera app if you click the 3 dots menu button and remove everything off the screen you can just click the screen to take the picture instead of having to hit the camera button. Also to zoom in/out on something, you pinch in/out.
gabers is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Unread August 26th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #41 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Jer bear2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Gender: Male
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): LG G3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_g View Post
It took me a week or so to get used to the keys being on the rear of the phone, but now I like them. I've tried taking screenshots in the way you suggest but find that quite awkward. I prefer using Quick Memo+ to do it... just pull down the toggles from the notification area and press the Quick Memo+ button. Then press the key on the right-hand side, one in from the QM+ settings. This'll grab a screenshot. It's a bit more long-winded but at least I don't get the volume slider showing up in the screenshots!
If you slide up from the navigation bar buttons you can select quick memo+ that way and also that method starts you off with a screen shot of where ever your at when activating it.
Jer bear2011 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

LG G3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The LG G3 is LG's 2014 flagship device, and one of the first smartphones on the market with LG's 5.5-inch 2560 x 1440 display. It features a Snapdragon 801 chipset clocked 2.5GHz, 2GB or 3GB of RAM, 16GB or 32GB of internal storage, a microSD... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG G3

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.