Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Optimus F6

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hubsabubs
  • 1 Post By hubsabubs
  • 1 Post By hubsabubs
  • 1 Post By hubsabubs

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Installing to an external SD card on Optimus F6

I have a new T-Mobile LG Optimus F6 with an 8GB external microSD card. I would like to install apps to this card instead of internal storage. I found some threads that explain how to do this, but it isn't working for me.
1. Install Java SDK on Windows
2. Install Android ADT sdk.
3. Install platform-tools
4. Connect phone to computer, enabling Debugging using USB
5. open command prompt at platform-tools directory
6. Type 'adb devices'
7. Nothing is listed.
8. Open Device Manager
9. Other Devices -> LGE Android Phone -> Properties -> Details -> Hardware Ids
10. Copy the two entries to adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130917\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winu sb.inf:

[Google.NTx86]
; LG Optimus F6
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB\VID_1004&PID_631C&REV_0228
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB\VID_1004&PID_631C

[Google.NTamd64]
; LG Optimus F6
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB\VID_1004&PID_631C&REV_0228
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB\VID_1004&PID_631C

11. Try 'adb devices' again. Nothing listed.
12. Installed the Universal ADB Driver
13. Try 'adb devices' again. Nothing listed.
14. Plugged in my Samsung Galaxy S3, ran 'adb devices' and it was listed, so the adb program can work.

I'm at a loss as to what to try now. I'd hate to have to return the phone just because the internal storage is too small.

Thanks,
Carole

Advertisements
elora_c is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,401
 
Device(s): Note3 running X-Note 4.3 in Safestrap Stock slot.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 16
Thanked 2,884 Times in 2,643 Posts
Default

Have you tried the app2sd app?
Rukbat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The app2sd app works if you check the "protect sd card" box in developer options.
JMBishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
hubsabubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend II, LG Optimus M, Coolpad Quattro, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Default

I just used App2External_SD mod and Link2SD. I have yet to get an insufficient storage message. I have 4GBs left of 12.5GBs SD Card, 2GBs left of 2.5Gbs Link2SD and 1.0GB left of 1.2GB Phone storage. I have a ton of apps and a bunch of huge games.
hubsabubs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Trevor Philips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sandy Shores
Posts: 531
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 149
Thanked 169 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubsabubs View Post
I just used App2External_SD mod and Link2SD. I have yet to get an insufficient storage message. I have 4GBs left of 12.5GBs SD Card, 2GBs left of 2.5Gbs Link2SD and 1.0GB left of 1.2GB Phone storage. I have a ton of apps and a bunch of huge games.
mind giving a tutorial? perhaps a guide? i don't really understand the link2sd part
Trevor Philips is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
hubsabubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend II, LG Optimus M, Coolpad Quattro, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Default

As far as Link2SD goes, it gets tricky. The user has to kind of know what to link and what not to link, I've learned a lot of what I know about Link2SD through trial and error. I use a SD Card partitioned with a Fat32 partition and an Ext2 partition created using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

I personally, do not use Link2SD for linking games of any kind, small or large. I use the default Move to SD option in the Settings/Apps/ to move the game data, App2External_SD takes care of this data not Link2SD. Games linked with Link2SD for me have always had an affinity to break.

Now as far as any customization apps.. Such as custom launchers, icon packs, themes, widgetlocker, gosms, go keyboard and any associated go themes for example. Apps like Link2SD, SManager, SuperSU, etc. etc.. These should never be linked using Link2SD, they need to be left on internal storage at all times, not even moved using the default Move to SD function. It can seriously mess things up when booting into the OS.

Do not have Link2SD set up to automatically link anything on installation. You really want to pick and choose what it is you are linking.

What I did link using Link2SD is.. Google Earth, Gmail, Play Services, Play Store, Google Search, Google TTS, Google Maps, TeslaLED, Android Forums App, Kickass Torrents App, IMDB, Root Explorer, Skype, Sketch Guru, Custom YouTube app..

Now with this said..

Using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html)(Since we don't have CWM access)

You want to create 2 Partitions.
1st partition being your SD Card access (Fat32)
2nd Your Link2SD Parition (Ext2) for increasing Internal Memory

Backup your SD Card to a folder on your computer desktop, this is imparitive.

Note the drive letter of your SD card.
Select your SD card from the listing and delete it.
All your data will be gone at this stage.
Now select “Create as” on that drive letter.
Select “Primary”.
If the size is less than 2GB, select file system FAT.
If it’s more than 2GB, select FAT32.
Do not select the whole card as partition size, select about 12.5GBs.
Turn the slider to the left and leave some space “unallocated space” about 2.5GB if your using a 16GB SD Card.
This will be used for the second “EXT2” partition of your SD card.
Now, choose the unallocated space again and select Create as -> Primary.
Now, choose EXT2 file system.
Turn the slider to left and allocate about 2.5GBs for your Link2SD Partition

(I don't recommend using a 4GB or 8GB SD Card for this. Use a 16GB or higher, i'm sure you can use an 8GB but my preferences differ)

Now, click OK and then click the Apply button from the top left of the window.
It might take some time for the operation to finish.
Once done, restore the data to your SD card.
On Windows, you will always get connected to the first partition of your SD card because Windows does not recognize ext2 file system which is the second partition of your SD card for installing apps and games.
At this point, you have just finished partitioning and restoring your SD card.
Congratulations!
Now you just need to configure Link2SD to connect to this second partition.

Installing and Configuring Link2SD

Now is the time to download and install Link2SD application from Play Store.
Once installed, run the application.
You may see a screen asking for Superuser Permission the first time you run it.
Make sure to select Allow/Grant
Note that if you don’t see this prompt, your phone is probably not rooted.
In that case, Root the phone.
On successful launch after gaining root permission.
Link2SD will ask you to select the file system of your second permission.
Remember we set it as ext2. So, ext2 it is.

Upon OK-ing, your phone will need to be restarted.
Upon restarting your phone, open Link2SD again and a dialogue will show up.
Press OK and click the funnel looking icon.
Choose On Internal.
This will show up a list of apps and games installed on the internal storage of your phone.

To see the storage status of your second partition, you can always go to storage info within Link2SD application.
Trevor Philips likes this.
hubsabubs is offline  
Last edited by hubsabubs; March 10th, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hubsabubs For This Useful Post:
Trevor Philips (March 10th, 2014)
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: jax
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 - Rooted/Mem mod - Freedom Kernal 1.6ghz
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 41
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I had the insufficient storage problem until I did the following. I do not have links2sd installed.
I also figured out that if you unmount SD card in storage, then remount. Not physically, but just the option, then your SD card will read both the same internal and external. Problem is that when you reboot or battery dies, you have to do the process again. This is for the fuse SD mod.

I figured this out when I tried to download something off andftp, also when I tried to install Nova 3. I now have plenty of apps, Nova 3, GTA San Andreas, Order of Chaos, and a few other games installed. I haven't rebooted or lost charge for me to test out the aftermath of it, but I'm pretty sure that if you let media scanning complete, then go to storage, unmount and remount before running these apps it will be just fine.
Flablitz is offline  
Last edited by Flablitz; March 10th, 2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: To add more info from a copy and paste I posted in other thread.
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
hubsabubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend II, LG Optimus M, Coolpad Quattro, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flablitz View Post
Problem is that when you reboot or battery dies, you have to do the process again. This is for the fuse SD mod.
Can we make an init.d script to use at boot to do this remount automatically?
hubsabubs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: jax
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 - Rooted/Mem mod - Freedom Kernal 1.6ghz
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 41
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

That I don't know. I'm somewhat a noob at all this stuff still. Lol It would be nice if that was possible. Did you actually try what I mentioned?
Flablitz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Trevor Philips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sandy Shores
Posts: 531
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 149
Thanked 169 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubsabubs View Post
As far as Link2SD goes, it gets tricky. The user has to kind of know what to link and what not to link, I've learned a lot of what I know about Link2SD through trial and error. I use a SD Card partitioned with a Fat32 partition and an Ext2 partition created using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

I personally, do not use Link2SD for linking games of any kind, small or large. I use the default Move to SD option in the Settings/Apps/ to move the game data, App2External_SD takes care of this data not Link2SD. Games linked with Link2SD for me have always had an affinity to break.

Now as far as any customization apps.. Such as custom launchers, icon packs, themes, widgetlocker, gosms, go keyboard and any associated go themes for example. Apps like Link2SD, SManager, SuperSU, etc. etc.. These should never be linked using Link2SD, they need to be left on internal storage at all times, not even moved using the default Move to SD function. It can seriously mess things up when booting into the OS.

Do not have Link2SD set up to automatically link anything on installation. You really want to pick and choose what it is you are linking.

What I did link using Link2SD is.. Google Earth, Gmail, Play Services, Play Store, Google Search, Google TTS, Google Maps, TeslaLED, Android Forums App, Kickass Torrents App, IMDB, Root Explorer, Skype, Sketch Guru, Custom YouTube app..

Now with this said..

Using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html)(Since we don't have CWM access)

You want to create 2 Partitions.
1st partition being your SD Card access (Fat32)
2nd Your Link2SD Parition (Ext2) for increasing Internal Memory

Backup your SD Card to a folder on your computer desktop, this is imparitive.

Note the drive letter of your SD card.
Select your SD card from the listing and delete it.
All your data will be gone at this stage.
Now select “Create as” on that drive letter.
Select “Primary”.
If the size is less than 2GB, select file system FAT.
If it’s more than 2GB, select FAT32.
Do not select the whole card as partition size, select about 12.5GBs.
Turn the slider to the left and leave some space “unallocated space” about 2.5GB if your using a 16GB SD Card.
This will be used for the second “EXT2” partition of your SD card.
Now, choose the unallocated space again and select Create as -> Primary.
Now, choose EXT2 file system.
Turn the slider to left and allocate about 2.5GBs for your Link2SD Partition

(I don't recommend using a 4GB or 8GB SD Card for this. Use a 16GB or higher, i'm sure you can use an 8GB but my preferences differ)

Now, click OK and then click the Apply button from the top left of the window.
It might take some time for the operation to finish.
Once done, restore the data to your SD card.
On Windows, you will always get connected to the first partition of your SD card because Windows does not recognize ext2 file system which is the second partition of your SD card for installing apps and games.
At this point, you have just finished partitioning and restoring your SD card.
Congratulations!
Now you just need to configure Link2SD to connect to this second partition.

Installing and Configuring Link2SD

Now is the time to download and install Link2SD application from Play Store.
Once installed, run the application.
You may see a screen asking for Superuser Permission the first time you run it.
Make sure to select Allow/Grant
Note that if you don’t see this prompt, your phone is probably not rooted.
In that case, Root the phone.
On successful launch after gaining root permission.
Link2SD will ask you to select the file system of your second permission.
Remember we set it as ext2. So, ext2 it is.

Upon OK-ing, your phone will need to be restarted.
Upon restarting your phone, open Link2SD again and a dialogue will show up.
Press OK and click the funnel looking icon.
Choose On Internal.
This will show up a list of apps and games installed on the internal storage of your phone.

To see the storage status of your second partition, you can always go to storage info within Link2SD application.
Just to be sure...So i should use these steps while i have the external sdcard mod already on?
Trevor Philips is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
hubsabubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend II, LG Optimus M, Coolpad Quattro, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Before
Trevor Philips likes this.
hubsabubs is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hubsabubs For This Useful Post:
Trevor Philips (March 12th, 2014)
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Trevor Philips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sandy Shores
Posts: 531
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 149
Thanked 169 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubsabubs View Post
Before
after the formatting, do i then use the sdcard script or move ahead with the link2sd part?
Trevor Philips is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
hubsabubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend II, LG Optimus M, Coolpad Quattro, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Philips View Post
after the formatting, do i then use the sdcard script or move ahead with the link2sd part?
I formatted my SD Card with the 2 partitions, inserted the card, did the SD Card swap script, rebooted and then installed Link2SD and moved forward with selecting the Ext2 partition.
Trevor Philips likes this.
hubsabubs is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hubsabubs For This Useful Post:
Trevor Philips (March 12th, 2014)
Old March 12th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: jax
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 - Rooted/Mem mod - Freedom Kernal 1.6ghz
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 41
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Ever figure out how to set at boot?
Flablitz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
hubsabubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 256
 
Device(s): Huawei Ascend II, LG Optimus M, Coolpad Quattro, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 28
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Not yet, still kind of mulling over in my mind an approach. I got a basic concept using a line from the App2External_SD mod. Wanna make sure I get the mounting sequence right. I might message the person who came up with that mod, and ask them for a lil help.
Flablitz likes this.
hubsabubs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ga
Gender: Female
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubsabubs View Post
I just used App2External_SD mod and Link2SD. I have yet to get an insufficient storage message. I have 4GBs left of 12.5GBs SD Card, 2GBs left of 2.5Gbs Link2SD and 1.0GB left of 1.2GB Phone storage. I have a ton of apps and a bunch of huge games.
Could you tell me step for step this process for more space. Currently I have 32gb external storage would love to save majority of apps on it.. Lg optimus f6 from metro pcs. Not currently rooted.
LOSTcause1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
MyUsernameRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 497
 
Device(s): LG F6, LG Motion, LG Optimus M
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 64
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

All of this sounds like way too much effort and work, to me it would be so much simpler to just buy a new phone with sufficient storage.
MyUsernameRox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

LG Optimus F6
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:




Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Optimus F6
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.