Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Shine Plus

View Poll Results: Did the 2.3.3 update work for you?
Yes, everything works the update. 7 25.93%
No, there are some problems and issues after update. 14 51.85%
No, my phone no longer works at all. 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 583
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
Default Did the 2.3.3 update work for you?

Did the 2.3.3 update work for you?

Please vote so we can find out the numbers. We can use this information when we deal with Telus and LG.

Thanks.

Advertisements
funpig is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can't upgrade? The LGMobile tool says "The Cell phone is the latest version already. So you don't need to update"?? It shows Model LGC710H and version: V10D.

Did they pull the 2.3 upgrade? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
BBucKK
BBucKK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBucKK View Post
I can't upgrade? The LGMobile tool says "The Cell phone is the latest version already. So you don't need to update"?? It shows Model LGC710H and version: V10D.

Did they pull the 2.3 upgrade? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
BBucKK
I'm having the same problem. Last night it said an update was available, but the lg update tool wouldn't work. Now it just says that my phone is up to date, I'm version v10D as well. They must have pulled the update because so many people were complaining... hopefully they put a fixed version of it up soon
Spiro313 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

mine was failing at the download portion of the phone update screen. I talked to LG and they couldn't really help, said the techs are working on it.
axelaR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 513
 
Device(s): Google Nexus 4, LG shine plus SOLD: Samsung Galaxy S2 international
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelaR View Post
mine was failing at the download portion of the phone update screen. I talked to LG and they couldn't really help, said the techs are working on it.
Working on fixing their broken ROM. haha
karendar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mine failed in the worse possible way (same thing it did for the 2.1update1 update). It downloaded the update ok but it said it communication stopped at arround 4-12% told me to unplug remove and replace the battery.

No I don't get anything out of her when i try to turn it on, no loading screen, no emergency mode just blank screen.

Phone is now out of warranty so it probably will cost money for them to fix it like last time.
Tordre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My update was "successful" but it broke my phone. My bluetooth headset now will not connect, even though it says pairing successful in the earpiece and the display says it's paired. Tried with two other headsets, same problem. Tried the headset with another phone, works fine.

LG Customer Serviceless says because bluetooth is hardware, that means it's a hardware problem. I asked how would doing a software update break the physical hardware? He had no answer and just told me I need to send the phone in for repair because bluetooth is hardware. They obviously have no clue.

I'm not surprised that the update has been pulled. You should all consider yourselves lucky that you didn't get it installed because it's garbage. It also cut my already-pathetic battery life down to laughable. We're talking: 90 minutes talk time from a full charge with bluetooth and mobile data turned off, and about 5 hours with those turned off, before it shuts off.

If your phone is out of warranty, don't waste money fixing it. It's a piece of garbage phone to begin with, tons of problems. They tried to pack too many features into an inexpensive handset, and the result is junk.

It's unfortunate, because I was really happy with my previous LG "dumb phones" but they really screwed the pooch on this one, and I'm hesitant to trust LG phones after this.
Vighnahara is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 583
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Who are the five that voted that everything worked after the update?

Did you five use the LG update or do rooted update?

If you did do the LG update, does your Nuance voice control work properly (including adapt)? Do you ever get wifi disconnects and blackscreens which require a battery pull?
funpig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Android 2.1 updated to Android 2.3.3

Hello all, After several hours of messing around with the LG Update Tool I finally got my LGC710h to update. As expected, the tool locked up at the 4% mark. Because it was late and I was tired I did not pay attention to the warning about not to disconnect the USB cable where it said to remove the battery and restart the process. With the tool still open and stalled at 4%, I disconnected the cable removed the battery, reinstalled the battery, reconnected the cable and the update tool continued the up date from the 4% spot. The phone display still said "Emergency Mode!" as the tool progressed. I thought the phone was going to be dead. Suprisinglly, it booted (which took longer then normal) followed the on phone instructions.
Mr.Man's Gampa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 513
 
Device(s): Google Nexus 4, LG shine plus SOLD: Samsung Galaxy S2 international
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpig View Post
Who are the five that voted that everything worked after the update?

Did you five use the LG update or do rooted update?

If you did do the LG update, does your Nuance voice control work properly (including adapt)? Do you ever get wifi disconnects and blackscreens which require a battery pull?
I'm one of them. Nuance was tested and works fine with adaptation, goes through the process and saves. Use Titanium Backup and move the app to a user app. As for wifi disconnects, Never got any.

As for the black screen, it happened once in two weeks. I did figure out that the screen's backlight simply seems to dissapear, but the phone still works so it's not a screen freeze necessarily. It's possible that it has to do with deep sleep programming error on LG's part.
karendar is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 513
 
Device(s): Google Nexus 4, LG shine plus SOLD: Samsung Galaxy S2 international
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vighnahara View Post
My update was "successful" but it broke my phone. My bluetooth headset now will not connect, even though it says pairing successful in the earpiece and the display says it's paired. Tried with two other headsets, same problem. Tried the headset with another phone, works fine.

LG Customer Serviceless says because bluetooth is hardware, that means it's a hardware problem. I asked how would doing a software update break the physical hardware? He had no answer and just told me I need to send the phone in for repair because bluetooth is hardware. They obviously have no clue.

I'm not surprised that the update has been pulled. You should all consider yourselves lucky that you didn't get it installed because it's garbage. It also cut my already-pathetic battery life down to laughable. We're talking: 90 minutes talk time from a full charge with bluetooth and mobile data turned off, and about 5 hours with those turned off, before it shuts off.

If your phone is out of warranty, don't waste money fixing it. It's a piece of garbage phone to begin with, tons of problems. They tried to pack too many features into an inexpensive handset, and the result is junk.

It's unfortunate, because I was really happy with my previous LG "dumb phones" but they really screwed the pooch on this one, and I'm hesitant to trust LG phones after this.
If you read the forum, there's actually a fix for the bluetooth issue. It's so not hardware.
karendar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have updated to GB and have encountered the Blank Screen multiple times on a daily basis. For the question on updating; I have tried updating again and the end result was that the LG program said I have the newest version. Checking back on this forum for the fix for the Blank Screen.
telus022420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 513
 
Device(s): Google Nexus 4, LG shine plus SOLD: Samsung Galaxy S2 international
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telus022420 View Post
I have updated to GB and have encountered the Blank Screen multiple times on a daily basis. For the question on updating; I have tried updating again and the end result was that the LG program said I have the newest version. Checking back on this forum for the fix for the Blank Screen.
It's possibly related to auto backlight being broken. Have any of you filed reports with LG?

I'd also eliminate any battery saving application you have, as they don't always help. They may dim the screen with their own software and cause the backlight to turn off.

Here's another something I'd like everyone to try. If the screen is black (As in you turn it on and notice the screen doesn't turn on), grab a flashlight (An actual flashlight :P Not an app.. haha) and shine the light close to your screen... Do you see anything on your display? If so, It's completely related to backlight and might be solved with a framework modification. If screen is pitch black and you can't make out any characters, it might be a video driver issue which becomes more complicated to fix.
karendar is offline  
Last edited by karendar; October 31st, 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 583
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karendar View Post
I'm one of them. Nuance was tested and works fine with adaptation, goes through the process and saves. Use Titanium Backup and move the app to a user app. As for wifi disconnects, Never got any.
Karender, didn't you root your phone? Doesn't that make a big difference from the stock LG 2.3.3 update?
funpig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 513
 
Device(s): Google Nexus 4, LG shine plus SOLD: Samsung Galaxy S2 international
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 60 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpig View Post
Karender, didn't you root your phone? Doesn't that make a big difference from the stock LG 2.3.3 update?
Not rooting that makes the difference, but flashing a custom ROM yes... Considering I modify apps on the go, add functionalities, modify files, etc. I do use the same image as everyone else though, so if there are OS bugs, I'll have them too.

It's possible that because I deodexed the ROM that I might not have as many issues.
karendar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

my phone says it doesn't need an update on the tool, but when i go to about phone under settings, it says "firmware version:2.1-update1
imawesome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, LG Shine Plus, Galaxy Tab 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Is the update ever going to be stable, this is pretty rediculous.
DC1022 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Yes, but with a caveat: At first, bluetooth didn't work.

No matter what I did, the phone kept insisting that my bluetooth headset was connected when the bluetooth headset was NOT connected. If I powered off the headset? Phone said it was conected. If I turned on the headset? Phone said it was connected, but the phone would not actualy connect to the headset. I could not use the headset to make calls, or listen to music, or anything at all except annoy the hell out of me and build in me a rising irational urge to kill a random LG engineer.

Thankfully, I did a factory data reset, and now my irational urge to kill a random LG engineer had fallen back down to it's normal level. And then I tried to remove some of the bloatware LG insisted on bundling with this phone... urge to kill, rising... rising... rising...
TheSarge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): HTC Desire HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawesome View Post
my phone says it doesn't need an update on the tool, but when i go to about phone under settings, it says "firmware version:2.1-update1
That's becasue LG pulled the update and is trying to pretend it never existed. Now let us never speak of it again.
TheSarge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I recently sent my phone in for service. My complaint was that Bluetooth wasn't working and GPS reception was intermittent. I don't know what they did to my phone other than upgrading it to 2.3.3.

With the upgrade I find Bluetooth works, GPS works, WiFi connects more reliably to my home network (Linksys WRT160). I've never used voice control but after reading posts here I tried it last night. It doesn't work worth a damn. I'm not worried about it because I never use it. I have yet to experience any lockups with the new OS.

So I would have to say that the update works for me.
747leftseat is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karendar View Post
I'm one of them. Nuance was tested and works fine with adaptation, goes through the process and saves.
What is adaptation and how do I access it?

Edit: I found the adaptation setup. It tells me to press start to begin adaptation but I don't see a button named start. Very strange.
747leftseat is offline  
Last edited by 747leftseat; November 17th, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 583
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747leftseat View Post
What is adaptation and how do I access it?

Edit: I found the adaptation setup. It tells me to press start to begin adaptation but I don't see a button named start. Very strange.
Hit the down menu button and you will see a start button. After the LG 2.3.3 update, every time I hit start, it would exit Nuance and take me back to home screen.

I did find the GPS aquisition to be quicker after the LG 2.3.3 update. Any bluetooth problem is usually fixed by hard reset or deleting some file (see other posts). The wifi blackscreen problem is very intermittent, but extremely annoying. Try logging into and moving around the new Android Market after the update. That usually caused the wifi/blackscreen problem for me.

(Currently running a refurbed 2.1 v10c phone)
funpig is offline  
Last edited by funpig; November 17th, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Shine Plus
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.