Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge
The Lounge We're all friends here. Hang out, kick your feet up and talk about whatever the heck you want!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default Buying an AR-15 - question

I found a SIG-SAUER M500 AR-15 for 899.99 and I really like the looks of it, not to mention the price. Does anyone know anything about these, I believe it's SIG's first AR variant, but their awesome reputation with other firearms is leading me to want to give it a try

Advertisements
__________________
Please be sure to check out my band's website and click the facebook "like" button at the top of the page!!! www.failuresavvy.com
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): SGS4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 16 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Sig makes good stuff and a damn fine AR.
I'd suggest checking out AR15.com to help ya out.
Good luck and happy shooting.
merg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 180 Times in 126 Posts
Default

coming from one of the biggest SIG Sauer fans ever...

i haven't bought a SIG in almost 10 years. i feel their quality workmanship has declined quite a bit.

almost every new model of pistol that they have put out over the past 10 years has had some kind of issue( their 1911, the Mosquito, P238, and P250). their standard pistols have seen a few issues too.

they have fixed many of the issues they've had with new models, but it has taken a little while to do so.

if i were you, i would hold off on that particular rifle and wait to see it's track record. i'd wait about a year to see what(if any) problems come up.

ps - i think you are refering to the M400, not the M500

keep track of all things SIG at, www.sigforum.com
batgeek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): SGS4
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 16 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Yeah, that Mosquito was a joke. I was really surprised at that whole situation.
I'm more of a Springfield XD guy, and used to be a huge Rimfire addict. I'm not up Sigs pistols, but I havent read too much bad about their ARs. I'll take your word for it. (I have a Bushmaster A4)

The local Walmarts here have some Sig ARs for sale, around the $860 to $900 range. The quality looks good.
merg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 752
 
Device(s): Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 77
Thanked 180 Times in 126 Posts
Default

our local Walmart hasn't started selling non-black powder rifles yet. i'm not entirely sure if they will even though corporate has said it's ok(again).

i have a 1st gen Mosquito. that DA trigger is poop. it's finicky about what it likes to shoot. CCI Mini-Mags are the only ammunition i haven't had any problems with.

it's a good pistol to introduce first time shooters to the SIG P-series. 85% the size of a 226, and all the same controls. plus, when it jams, it's awesome for malfunction drills, hehe
batgeek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

I ended up getting a Bushmaster XM15 for $800 at a gun show sunday along with 500 rounds of .223 Waiting on some fun accessories from Amazon
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,442
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 319 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merg View Post
Sig makes good stuff and a damn fine AR.
I'd suggest checking out AR15.com to help ya out.
Good luck and happy shooting.
AR15.com is a TERRIBLE forum. I suggest checking out any other forum on the internet for useful information.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
AR15.com is a TERRIBLE forum. I suggest checking out any other forum on the internet for useful information.
Just wondering, why is that? I'm looking for a good forum for AR-15 discussion
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,442
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 319 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_ed View Post
Just wondering, why is that? I'm looking for a good forum for AR-15 discussion
It's a horribly run forum who's primary focus is profit and the majority of the members there are douche bags and pricks. There is some good info and some knowledgeable users there but wading through the BS isn't worth it IMO. There are other options with less BS if you look around. For me, I use M4Carbine.net (just don't expect any off topic discussion because it isn't allowed and these threads are closed quickly) and don't ask dumb questions w/o searching. I also frequent Snipers Hide & a local site called CO-AR15.com which is a great resource for us in Colorado. I would check out to see if you have something similar because a local Gun site is the best resource given the way the laws work on use and sales as well as being able to get together for range days. AR15.com is just awful. I signed up about a decade ago and that forum has gotten so awful that aside from posting things for sale I don't use it at all.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OstrichSaK For This Useful Post:
tommy_ed (February 7th, 2012)
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,834
 
Device(s): GS5 GS4 TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,901
Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,212 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
It's a horribly run forum who's primary focus is profit and the majority of the members there are douche bags and pricks. There is some good info and some knowledgeable users there but wading through the BS isn't worth it IMO. There are other options with less BS if you look around. For me, I use M4Carbine.net (just don't expect any off topic discussion because it isn't allowed and these threads are closed quickly) and don't ask dumb questions w/o searching. I also frequent Snipers Hide & a local site called CO-AR15.com which is a great resource for us in Colorado. I would check out to see if you have something similar because a local Gun site is the best resource given the way the laws work on use and sales as well as being able to get together for range days. AR15.com is just awful. I signed up about a decade ago and that forum has gotten so awful that aside from posting things for sale I don't use it at all.
A bit off but not really, I find glocktalk.com to be a great place to talk about firearms, all kinds. Yes, the primary focus is on glocks (obviously) but I've found they're pretty much open to anything as long as it's kept in the proper forum.
__________________
Useful links: The Rules | The Team | FAQ | Unanswered Threads |
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,442
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 319 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
A bit off but not really, I find glocktalk.com to be a great place to talk about firearms, all kinds. Yes, the primary focus is on glocks (obviously) but I've found they're pretty much open to anything as long as it's kept in the proper forum.
I didn't mention GlockTalk intentionally because while it has great members and good information it's also horribly managed by the staff.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,834
 
Device(s): GS5 GS4 TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,901
Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,212 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
I didn't mention GlockTalk intentionally because while it has great members and good information it's also horribly managed by the staff.
Haven't seen any issues so far..
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,442
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 319 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
Haven't seen any issues so far..
Then you just haven't been a member long enough or don't participate enough. Wait until you start getting warnings & bans for trivial stuff.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

I signed up for ar15adviser.com but it won't let me post anything until the site owner reviews my account? kind of strange.

So I figured I would give ar15.com a shot anyways, but was turned away when it told me I couldn't use any web-based emails to sign up. No thanks!

I might have to give glocktalk a shot.
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,834
 
Device(s): GS5 GS4 TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,901
Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,212 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_ed View Post
I signed up for ar15adviser.com but it won't let me post anything until the site owner reviews my account? kind of strange.

So I figured I would give ar15.com a shot anyways, but was turned away when it told me I couldn't use any web-based emails to sign up. No thanks!

I might have to give glocktalk a shot.
No web based email? Lol that's like 97% of the world.
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
tommy_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): iPhone 4s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 590
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Hahaha I know I was like really? How many people are you shunning away who use Gmail as their primary email? Stupid
tommy_ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 223
 
Device(s): HTC Vigor (current). My "ex'es:" Bionic, Droid X, Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Default

I find it sort of ironic you have complaints about both Glocktalk and arfcom mods, since they are on opposite sides of the spectrum...

arfcom is like... a rowdy bar. Pretty much anything goes, especially in the "main" areas. But there is a crap-ton of info available if you look, and if you tread carefully you'll be fine- Don't ask questions until you've made an honest effort to find the answer, don't act like a know-it-all/prick, and it's fine a fine source of info and expertise that's hard to find elsewhere, IMO. If you act like a jerk, though, you'll be treated accordingly.

Glocktalk is a much more newb-friendly atmosphere, and is modded sort of like an upscale cafe... They will frown on you for little things sometimes, that's true... I got "dinged" once for posting a link to that "kids" book with Sam Jackson reading "Go the F to sleep." But they are trying to have a "family friendly" forum there. Mercifully, there are some private sub-forums where you can cut loose more, so those can be nice hang-outs once you've been around a little bit and have made a few friends.

The other sites you mention I like too, though, so no objections here. (I haven't checked out the CO one, however.) Zombiesquad is decent also. Smaller population, but pretty smack-**** free, and they seem to keep a decent balance- They'll warn you first, and cut you some slack before they reel you back in.
RottnJP is offline  
Last edited by RottnJP; February 9th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 223
 
Device(s): HTC Vigor (current). My "ex'es:" Bionic, Droid X, Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_ed View Post
Hahaha I know I was like really? How many people are you shunning away who use Gmail as their primary email? Stupid
Wow, I never knew that, actually... I signed up way back when we all had e-mails tied to our ISP's, and Google wasn't even invented yet...
RottnJP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,442
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 319 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottnJP View Post
I find it sort of ironic you have complaints about both Glocktalk and arfcom mods, since they are on opposite sides of the spectrum...

arfcom is like... a rowdy bar. Pretty much anything goes, especially in the "main" areas. But there is a crap-ton of info available if you look, and if you tread carefully you'll be fine- Don't ask questions until you've made an honest effort to find the answer, don't act like a know-it-all/prick, and it's fine a fine source of info and expertise that's hard to find elsewhere, IMO. If you act like a jerk, though, you'll be treated accordingly.

Glocktalk is a much more newb-friendly atmosphere, and is modded sort of like an upscale cafe... They will frown on you for little things sometimes, that's true... I got "dinged" once for posting a link to that "kids" book with Sam Jackson reading "Go the F to sleep." But they are trying to have a "family friendly" forum there. Mercifully, there are some private sub-forums where you can cut loose more, so those can be nice hang-outs once you've been around a little bit and have made a few friends.

The other sites you mention I like too, though, so no objections here. (I haven't checked out the CO one, however.) Zombiesquad is decent also. Smaller population, but pretty smack-**** free, and they seem to keep a decent balance- They'll warn you first, and cut you some slack before they reel you back in.
You find it ironic but then you go on to basically say the exact same thing. You were dinged for something inconsequential so you agree that GlockTalk is too strict. You then go on to talk about a forum that is smack-**** free which is my complaint with AR15.com because it's prolific with smack-*****. I didn't say AR15.com was super strict I said it was horribly managed but you assumed I meant in the same manner as GT which isn't the case. I was a staff member of a 13 year old forum that was much larger than either one and was managed quite well. I say this not to brag but merely to point out that I have some insight on what it takes to manage a large forum and both of those forums are the suck... for different reasons. That's why I'm warning those who have never been on either one.

In closing:
AR15.com = smack-***** with pockets of good information
GlockTalk.com = Micromanaged with pockets of good information
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,442
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 319 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottnJP View Post
Wow, I never knew that, actually... I signed up way back when we all had e-mails tied to our ISP's, and Google wasn't even invented yet...
You probably had 28.8k dial up too. Point is times change.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 223
 
Device(s): HTC Vigor (current). My "ex'es:" Bionic, Droid X, Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
You probably had 28.8k dial up too. Point is times change.
Are you kidding? I was *psyched* when I upgraded to 28.8! That thing was a screamer, man! Gawd, I feel old now.
RottnJP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 223
 
Device(s): HTC Vigor (current). My "ex'es:" Bionic, Droid X, Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstrichSaK View Post
You find it ironic but then you go on to basically say the exact same thing. You were dinged for something inconsequential so you agree that GlockTalk is too strict. You then go on to talk about a forum that is smack-**** free which is my complaint with AR15.com because it's prolific with smack-*****. I didn't say AR15.com was super strict I said it was horribly managed but you assumed I meant in the same manner as GT which isn't the case. I was a staff member of a 13 year old forum that was much larger than either one and was managed quite well. I say this not to brag but merely to point out that I have some insight on what it takes to manage a large forum and both of those forums are the suck... for different reasons. That's why I'm warning those who have never been on either one.

In closing:
AR15.com = smack-***** with pockets of good information
GlockTalk.com = Micromanaged with pockets of good information
I get what you're saying... I guess you just get used to people complaining most vociferously from one extreme or another- You're making a point for moderation, which is fair. But then you're discounting both sites as "horrible," and that's the point with which I would contend. My point was that I think both are manageable, but you have to play by certain rules or view it from a certain perspctive, and those perspectives are quite different between the two sites. I wasn't trying to slam GT, just provide an example of how you have to be more careful sometimes in that particular environment.

In general, I still consider GT to be a fun place to hang around, whereas I tend to tread more carefully around arfcom, and mainly go there when I need something specific to an AR or M1/A/14. But I do admitedly escape the "most enthusiastic" of GT's moderation by posting more "openly" in one of the private sub-forums on GT, where the "sub-owners" have more discretion as to the permissible content.
RottnJP is offline  
Last edited by RottnJP; February 9th, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
JohnLaird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 168
 
Device(s): Motorola Razr
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 75 Times in 47 Posts
Default

If you are still looking for toys for your AR check Larue Tactical. They are very expensive but everything I buy from them works at 100%. No crappy parts and great service.

LaRue Tactical | The Dead Center of Precision
JohnLaird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OstrichSaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,442
 
Device(s): SGS4 stock
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 71
Thanked 319 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottnJP View Post
Are you kidding? I was *psyched* when I upgraded to 28.8! That thing was a screamer, man! Gawd, I feel old now.
Man do I remember the days. 28.8 made 14.4 feel like 8,600! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottnJP View Post
I get what you're saying... I guess you just get used to people complaining most vociferously from one extreme or another- You're making a point for moderation, which is fair. But then you're discounting both sites as "horrible," and that's the point with which I would contend. My point was that I think both are manageable, but you have to play by certain rules or view it from a certain perspctive, and those perspectives are quite different between the two sites. I wasn't trying to slam GT, just provide an example of how you have to be more careful sometimes in that particular environment.

In general, I still consider GT to be a fun place to hang around, whereas I tend to tread more carefully around arfcom, and mainly go there when I need something specific to an AR or M1/A/14. But I do admitedly escape the "most enthusiastic" of GT's moderation by posting more "openly" in one of the private sub-forums on GT, where the "sub-owners" have more discretion as to the permissible content.
Yeah, I'm all about the middle ground. I just think one can have a good forum w/o needing either of the extremes and thinking of the users a little more. It just seems it's rare these days to find a forum that actually cares about the community and those who are active contributors. I use a more localized forum because they fit my needs better. Arfcom is just a lot of noise for the most part and GT is WAY too uptight for my liking. Maybe others will like them better but not me. As for saying they're awful I still stand by that and that's why I personally choose not to use them unless it's to post a for sale thread while I copy & paste it across dozens of forums. Other than that I pretty much stay away from both and feel as though others would be better suited to find a more localized forum since most states have decent ones these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaird View Post
If you are still looking for toys for your AR check Larue Tactical. They are very expensive but everything I buy from them works at 100%. No crappy parts and great service.

LaRue Tactical | The Dead Center of Precision
I wouldn't say Larue is 'very expensive' especially when you consider the quality of their products. You can spend a lot more and get a lot less than Larue that's for sure.
OstrichSaK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.